Moving Day

Saphire Emerald Ruby Onyx (SERO)

The weather was warm and a breeze blew our hair out behind us the day my sister and I moved to Seoul, South Korea. I remember our parents explaining to us for the tenth time why we had moved all the way here.

Our father had received an offer for a job at the Seoul branch of his business. It was all very sudden. We had lived in the US for our entire childhood and halfway through our sophomore year of high school we all had to get up and move to Korea. Our father was eager to move back to his home country and our mother was happy to come back again after so many years away. As for my sister and I, we had never been more than 200 miles from our hometown. We spoke fluent Korean from living with our native Korean father so that wasn't an issue. The issue was this: my sister and I were top of our class and had been planning our futures since halfway through our freshman year. We didn't really have friends other than each other and our oldest childhood friend, Rory. He lived next door to us all of middle school but moved across town the summer after 8th grade. The three of us were inseparable. The news of us moving was probably hardest on him because he was losing both of us. Ergo the hardest part of our move. We would know absolutely no one and my sister and I aren't exactly chatty people. Making friends brings us to a very uncomfortable place where we usually just run off and hide by ourselves somewhere dark and quiet. Introverts on both sides of the twin wagon.

Had I mentioned that my sister and I are identical twins? Well we are. You can sometimes tell just by looking at us. But for reasons, it isn't always evident. I was born with a genetic defect that occurred after we had already split into our own little entities. We are identical in every way but one which points to my defect. My sister’s eyes are blue/green they change shades depending on her moods but both are always the same color. My eyes are different. My left eye is blue and my right eye is green. They never change shades and I am partially blind in my left eye. You would never know if I didn't tell you. I have adapted well through lots of therapy and strengthening. I wear glasses but only when I am in school. That is the only difference.

I guess that isn't exactly true. Our eyes are our only genetic difference. We are the same height and the same weight and we act generally the same but right before we moved I decided to do something drastic in an effort to rebel and fit in all at the same time. I dyed my hair black. Not just regular black but that so black its actually blue in color. My parents hadn't objected but my sister was sad that we matched even less.

I should probably stop calling her my sister and actually introduce us. I am WooJeong. I am the younger of the two of us but she doesn't hold it over my head like you hear most twins doing. My sister's name is WooMin. She is older by a whole minute and forty-seven seconds.

The most important thing is she isn't just my sister. She is my best friend. We tell each other everything. The only reason this move hadn't completely shattered me was because she was there by my side, and I by hers. We were both nervous and worried but we knew that we could do it together. Even if we were still upset that we had to move.

Which brings us back to the day we arrived in Seoul. Father had just finished explaining, again, why we were here. To which WooMin and I nodded knowingly without saying a word. The flight was long and we were jet lagged. More than anything I just wanted to get to our new house and sleep.

We were currently waiting at the baggage claim for our luggage. My heavy eyes searched lazily for the matching red and blue suitcases that belonged to my sister and I. Her bag came onto the carousel first.

“Minnie... your bag...” I pointed. She nodded and moved sluggishly toward the conveyor belt clumsily pulling her bag off with much difficulty. She made her way back to our parents and I and then turned to help me search for my red suitcase. Our parent’s luggage came next and I was growing impatient as the passengers from our flight slowly dwindled. Suddenly Minnie's voice piped up as she pointed making me jump slightly.

“Jonnie... There it is!” Her face grew sheepish when she saw me jump dropping her head. “Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you.” I simply smiled, nodding before I went to the carousel and heaved my heavy suitcase off the belt nearly falling backward in the process.

I made my way back to them and my father ushered us outside to a waiting company car. The driver was even standing outside with our dad's name on a piece of poster board and everything. Father helped the driver load all of our bags into the trunk while mother, Minnie and I climbed into the back of the car.

The drive was long and traffic was awful but the world I watched outside my window was bustling and beautiful. I don't like huge crowds but the way everyone on the sidewalks knew exactly where they were going and the semblance of order within the chaos of overpopulation. To be honest a part of me wanted to be out there exploring with Minnie. When we lived in the US we had a place we went all the time. It was our spot. It was this little hole in the wall cafe that had live music on Fridays and book readings on Tuesdays. It was very chill. It was the perfect place for Minnie and Rory and I to just relax after a long day at school. I hoped Minnie and I could find a spot all our own in this busy city as well. Though looking at the crowded streets it didn't seem likely.

The house was smaller than our old one. Minnie and I had our own rooms in the US but here we would be sharing. Even though it was smaller, it was still a beautiful house and lucky for us all of our stuff had already been shipped here and moved in. The only thing we had to do was rearrange and organize. Fortunately for disorganized me, mom and Minnie are much more skilled in that area. Not to mention cleaning and organizing stresses me out. I don't know why, but it does. Usually it takes me all day to clean my room because I have to take long breaks in order to calm down. Minnie, on the other hand, is better which is another reason why sharing a room with her is going to be pretty awesome. She will make sure we both stay fairly organized and make sure I don't lose my mind in the process.

I followed Minnie to our room and was surprised to see that all of our things had been laid out very well. The movers were very good at their jobs. Aside from a few boxes full of miscellaneous items our room was pretty much already done. Our beds were set on opposite walls and our books had been placed on our bookshelves along with our movies on a separate shelf. Our beds had been made and our clothes had been hung up in the closet or folded and put in our respective dressers.

“Well so much for having stuff to do.” Minnie said plopping down on her bed.

“Oh I don't know; we still have to organize the books. They are out of order.” I replied as I examined the books on my shelf shuddering in discontent. Minnie chuckled softly and stood up again flipping open one of the boxes which was labeled with her name.

“I guess you are right. I still have to put my stuffed animals where they go. Poor guys were stuck in this box for weeks.” She pulled her stuffed horse out of the box hugging it tight. “It looks like that box there is your dragons Jonnie. They probably didn't want to break them.” She pointed a large box on my bed that had 'BREAKABLE' written in big bold letters all over it. They were my collectible dragon, fairy, and wizard figurines. I had been collecting them since as long as I could remember.

“I really hope none of them broke on the way here. I won't be able to replace them now.” I went over to the box and quickly, but carefully, started to unwrap my figurines and place them in their rightful spot on top of my dresser.

The rest of the afternoon was spent organizing our room and making sure our uniforms were ready for school the next morning. Our father ordered chicken for dinner which was delivered to our house by a boy on a moped. Apparently, you can get away with never leaving your house in Korea, shown by the fact that literally everywhere delivers.

We all ate at the dinner table. Even as sophomores in high school, my parents found it important that we all sit together. Dinner was one of my favorite times of day because of this. No matter how frustrated I was that we had to move in the middle of the school year, or how anxious I was about starting at a new school, my father was still one of my favorite people. He spent a lot of time at work. So having him home every night and eating dinner with him was one of the main ways I got to spend time with him.

“So tomorrow you girls will take the S-train to your school. The stop is right outside of the academy I've been told. They are expecting you in the office by eight so you girls should leave here by 6:45 at the latest. You wouldn't want to be late on your first day.” Our father explained to us as we finished our meal.

“Wait. We have to take the train?” I looked at my father worriedly.

“Yes, WooJeong. If you wish to get to school in a decent amount of time, then the train is the best option.” Father said with a sigh.

“It will be ok Jonnie, I will be there with you.” Minnie said taking my hand. I smiled softly. You see, I have this really big fear of trains. Like my biggest fear. It may seem irrational but it makes perfect sense to me. So, naturally, I was now looking forward to tomorrow even less now that trains were involved. I ate the rest of my meal in silence. I could feel father watching me anxiously.

“WooJeong, if there was any other way I would have found it. I am sorry.” His voice was soft and kind.

“I know Appa. I will have to get over this fear eventually right?” I tried to laugh but it came out all wrong. I really did want this fear to go away. It was a lot less petrifying than it was at the beginning but I still have lots to deal with.

“I'm not gonna let anything happen to you Jonnie. I promise.” Minnie smiled softly and I couldn't help but smile back. She always encouraged me to be better. Always pushed me to my escape my bounds, but always in the kindest and most genuine ways possible.

We went back to our room after dinner and I finished the last two shelves of books that still needed to be organized. I hung my uniform on the door to the closet and checked and rechecked that my alarm was set. Last thing I needed was for us to be in a rush to get to the train in the morning.

I grabbed my pajamas and headed to the bathroom. I washed my face, brushed my teeth, and changed clothes before heading back to the bedroom and climbing in bed. Minnie left to do the same routine and came back to the room minutes later.

“Are you nervous about tomorrow?” Minnie asked as she crawled into her bed.

“Yeah. Are you?” I reply rolling over in bed to face her. She mirrors me.

“Super nervous. What if people are mean?” She frowns.

“If anyone is mean to you they will have me to deal with.” I state frankly making a little fist with my hand. She giggles.

“I might actually pay to watch that.” It was my turn to laugh.

“If Rory were here he would record it so we could be internet famous.” I smile followed quickly by a frown.

“I miss him already.” Minnie sighed pulling one of her stuffed animals close.

“Me too. It’s about lunch time there. We should snap him!” I suddenly sit up in bed. “Come here!” Minnie quickly jumps out of bed and scoots in next to me. I grab my phone off of the bedside table and open the Snapchat camera. Instinctively we both make pouty faces and snap a picture. I smile at the pic and then add the caption. 'We miss you!' and quickly send it to Rory. Seconds later we get a reply of him mock crying into his mashed potatoes at our lunch table. His caption read, 'Come Back. I'm all alone!'. Minnie and I simultaneously groaned. Snapping a picture of our genuinely sad faces, we sent him a reply of 'We're sorry...'. He replied with an adorable winking face which made both of us smile. 'I will wait for Summer break' was what it said. We both smiled wide and sent our final reply 'Can't Wait!'. He didn't respond, probably because lunch was over. Minnie went back to her bed burrowing under the covers and snuggling her stuffed animal again.

“I feel a little bit better now.” She murmured.

“Yeah me too.” I pulled myself into a ball.

“We should sleep. We have to be up early.” She said her eyes already growing heavy.

“Yeah. Goodnight Minnie.” I switched off our bedside lamp.

“Goodnight Jonnie. I love you.”

“I love you too. Sweet dreams.” She didn't reply and her soft breathing reached my ears. I closed my eyes and quickly followed her into our dreams.