Bullied

Saphire Emerald Ruby Onyx (SERO)

 

 

Chapter 4: WooMin’s POV

Hakyeon and Taekwoon continued to avoid us all day.  I could tell that it was beginning to wear on Jonnnie.  To be honest, it was beginning to wear on me too. I told myself not to get my hopes up, but I did. Hakyeon had been so nice to me and Taekwoon had been so nice to Jonnie. I don't even know what we did wrong. One minute they were talking to us and we were all laughing and then the next they were ignoring us.

“Should we wait for them? Or just go home?” Jonnie asked. I could tell she was putting in extra effort not to sound as pathetic as we both felt. I sighed leaning against the fence.

“Maybe we should wait and see if we see them?  If they ignore us then we  can go home. If they approach us we are crazy.” I try to sound optimistic. I don't think i succeeded. She threw me a look but stayed put.

The doors to the school opened and out walked Taekwoon and Hakyeon flanked by the rest of the boys we were introduced to at lunch. Hongbin and Wonshik smiled and waved as they walked by. Jonnie waved and smiled back but her smile slipped off her face as Taekwoon’s cold stare met her gaze. Hakyeon's expression wasn't cold and it broke my heart. He looked so sad.  I wanted to reach out to him so badly. But I couldn't seem to get the courage to actually reach out to him.  I looked down at my shoes and waited for them to pass. Jonnie tugged on my shirt sleeve.

“Let’s just go.” I nodded and took her hand leading her toward the street where we would catch our train ride home.

“Hey, Jonnie?” I said quietly as i dried the dishes.

“Hmm?” she responded sloshing around in the dishwater, picking up a plate.

“Do you think they will talk to us tomorrow?” my voice thick with sadness as i thought about the look Hakyeon had on his face.

“I don’t know, to be honest. I mean i hope they do. I really liked talking to Taekwoon. I don’t really know what we could have done to make them angry with us.” She rinsed the plate handing it to me.

“I don't either which is what bothers me. All we did was go to our classes and get bullied by a bunch of preppy rich know-it-all’s.” I sighed placing the now dry plate in its proper place in the hutch.

“Do you think maybe they were upset that we were talking with Hongbin and Wonshik?” Jonnie questioned her hand freezing from its chaotic washing.

“I didn’t even think of that.” I leaned against the counter huffing, frustrated. “Well, if that is the case, then it's stupid. They are their friends. They should be happy they were looking out for us. Not cranky that we were talking to them.”

Jonnie dropped the dish she was currently washing back into sink, turning to face me. “I say that tomorrow we go up to them and demand answers!” she pounded her soapy fist to her hand, in turn spraying me with suds. My mouth dropped in shock and we simultaneously burst into a fit of laughter.

“Maybe confronting them so boldly is a bad idea.” I said once our giggles had subsided. I wiped my face with my drying towel as i leaned against the counter once again.

“Maybe, but I don’t want to have the only friendships we have managed to make fall apart before we even have a chance to, oh I don’t know, be friends!” Her exasperation was definitely apparent and I knew exactly what she meant. Jonnie and I didn’t make friends easily. Besides Rory, we didn’t have anyone missing us back in the US. Sure, we had acquaintances that on occasion we would have friendly conversation with. Otherwise, we were friendless. Which on most occasions would be perfectly ok, because anyone who knows us, knows that Rory and The Kang Twins are a handful by themselves. But when one member of the tantalizing trio is thousands of miles away, it leaves us feeling rather lonely. So I could understand why, when not one but four people befriended us on our first day, she would want to hold on as tight as she could. To be honest, i wanted to do the same thing.

“Yeah, I get what you mean.” I finished drying the last dish and hung up the dish towel on the rack. Jonnie let out the dishwater and dried her hands on her pants.

“So, tomorrow we talk to them. We don’t have to be blunt, but we should at least approach them.” She left the kitchen and I followed closely. She led the way up to our bedroom.

“Ok we can do that. I want to make sure Hakyeon is ok. He looked so sad when he left school.” I plopped down on my bed.

“Taekwoon’s gaze was so cold. I thought I would freeze.” Jonnie shuddered visibly.

“Yeah I saw. It was kinda scary.” I laid down on my bed already having changed into my pajamas shortly after getting home from school.  Jonnie slipped into her pajamas and burrowed under her blankets.

“Yeah. It’s late though. We should get some rest and worry about all of this at school tomorrow.” Jonnie murmured.

I chuckled and burrowed under my own blankets. “What is sleep again?” Jonnie’s matching laugh echoed back at me.

“Good point. Well let’s try anyway.” I nod and turn off the lights.

“Goodnight Jonnie.”

“Goodnight Minnie.”

The train ride was just as difficult for Jonnie this time around as it was the day before. She was already stressed about Taekwoon and then adding a train ride to it as well and she was about to go over the edge. I did my best to calm her down but it didn’t seem to be working. This in turn put me on edge.

We arrived at the school holding hands as per usual. We entered the gate and headed toward the building. Of course, congregated together by the doors was just the people we had wanted to talk to so much. Now though, I didn’t think it was such a good idea. Taekwoon and Hakyeon were talking and, to our surprise, Taekwoon actually laughed.

We approached the doors and my stomach did a flip as Hakyeon’s eyes met mine. But to my dismay, he smiled. His warm smile melted my heart. Taekwoon looked sad but nowhere near as cold as he did yesterday. I stopped in front of the boys letting go of Jonnie’s hand.

“Hakyeon, can I talk to you?” I murmured quietly, looking down at my shoes.

“Um, yeah. We can do that.” He slipped off the stone steps leading me off toward a spot in the courtyard that wasn’t full of people. He turned to face me. “I’m guessing this is about yesterday?” I nodded unable to say the words. “It was a misunderstanding. I’m sorry for ignoring you.”

“You see that is where my sister and I are confused. We didn’t do anything wrong.” The hurt in my voice shone through and I mentally cursed myself for being so transparent.

“You don’t understand. Hongbin has a habit of suddenly showing interest in people who have already been laid claim to. Wonshik follows in his footsteps. When we saw them with you and your sister the other day we were upset that, yet again, Hongbin had stayed true to pattern and we assumed you both had fallen for their charms.” I stood there stunned. Then I was angry.

“Who gives you the right to lay claim on anyone. I don’t remember you and I having this conversation. I don’t know how things are done here in Korea, but in the US, you have to actually ask a girl’s permission before you start dating.” I huffed, folding my arms around myself. His jaw dropped in shock.

“That’s not what I meant.” His voice was soft and  I shot him a look. “I mean yes, that’s what I meant but it is more of an unspoken rule amongst guys. Hongbin knew Taekwoon was interested in Jonnie. Just like Wonshik knew I was interested in you. That should have told them to stay away. But it didn’t matter.”

“You don’t even know what happened. Jonnie and I were getting picked on by those girls again and they stepped in. They were just looking out for us. Unless you would have rather them just stood by and watched?” I quipped.

“No. I don’t want that either.” He hung his head.

“Well, then, before you get all bent out of shape please remember to talk to me first. Because it could all be a misunderstanding.” My voice was soft.

“Yeah. I can do that.” He nodded. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s ok,” I let a smile slip. He smiled in return and led me back to the group by the stairs. Jonnie was standing next to Taekwoon. They both had smiles on their face so I assumed they had also worked out their issues. I was definitely glad to see Jonnie smiling after the morning she had. Hakyeon stood next to them. I made a move to go to the other side of Jonnie but a strong pair of arms s around me.

“Stay by me.” Hakyeon’s voice sounded softly by my ear. I turned a rather bold shade of pink lowering my head nodding. I felt someone’s gaze and I looked up. Jonnie gave me a confused look. I gave her the signal that I was ok and she went back to what she was doing. I caught a glimpse of Wonshik and he smiled lightly at me. I returned the gesture. Moments later the first bell rang and we were led, gently, into the bustling hallways of teenagers attempting to get to class on time.

The bell signalling lunch could not come fast enough. Classes were interesting and the time passed quickly but I found myself getting overwhelmed as I listened to the teacher's lecture. I was fluent in Korean but this was more than I was used to. And they talked so fast that I couldn’t let myself get even a little distracted or I would be incredibly lost. I could already tell that I would actually have to work hard for my grades here. I couldn’t even imagine how Jonnie was fairing.

I walked into the cafeteria, my arm linked with Jonnie’s and was stopped short by a smiling and proud looking SangHyuk.

“Hakyeon and Taekwoon asked me to you to our table so no one tried to pick on you.” His eyes tightened together in a happy smile. Jonnie returned the smile glancing at me. I shrugged, grinning and he led us to the table where the rest of the boys were waiting.

“Hello.” Jonnie said sitting across from Taekwoon. I looked for an extra seat and there wasn’t one. I frowned and looked around to see the table of mean girls, whose names i still cant remember, were glaring at me. I glared back and in anger and sudden boldness to squash them, I walked around to Hakyeon.

“Oppa? Share your seat with me?” A nervous smile found my face begging not to have overstepped my bounds. His eyes widened for a second, then he noticed the missing chair. Following my gaze to the girls table, he smiled.

“Sure, Minnie.” He then proceeded to pull me into his lap, his arm wrapping around my waist. Jonnie chuckled as my face turned a violent shade of red and I bit my lip.

“Thank you.” I muttered.

“Anytime.” he smiled happily. “Though you definitely just made a bigger enemy out of them.” he nodded toward the table of girls where JinAh; I finally remembered her name, held a pair of broken chopsticks in her hand, her glare like fire. She stood and her clones followed suit. “And here they come.”

Sure enough they made their way over to our table. JinAh crossed her arms over her chest sneering at me. Then she addressed Hakyeon.

“Are you excited for your soccer match tomorrow?” She batted her eyelashes with a smile and my stomach lurched.

“It’s just a scrimmage. Against Southwest Prep.” He shrugged resting his chin on my shoulder. It didn’t go unnoticed.

“It’s the first scrimmage of the year. I heard their team practiced for 8 hours a day all summer vacation. But you should be able to take them. Especially with Taekwoon and Hongbin playing strikers.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence.” His voice was dry and unenthused. “I’m trying to eat. Did you need anything else?” JinAh’s face flushed.

“No-no. Just wanted to wish you luck.” She shot me another icy glare and her heels, clicking away back to her seat. Her clones followed suit.

“She’s gonna be trouble.” Hakyeon sighed.

“I’m not afraid of her” I said matter of factly.

“I believe it. But bullying is a lot different here than it is in the US.” my face showed my confusion.

“Bullying is the same everywhere.” I muttered.

“No. It isn't. People here don't just go after your reputation. They take it out on the people you care about instead. And if that doesn't work they attack your finances and your family. They will use their family’s money to make sure that your name is ruined. I don’t want that for you.” He tightened his arms around my waist. I blushed and leaned back against him.

“I can handle it. I’m not alone. My sister is here and my family is strong.” I said plainly.

“I won’t let anything happen to her.” Jonnie piped up from across the table.

“Neither will I. We are as good as F4 around here.” Hakyeon said proudly.

“Except better because there are six of us” Hyuk chimed. I chuckled.

“What is F4?” Jonnie’s brows cinched together, confused.

“They are a group of prestigious boys from a graphic novel that was then turned into a popular drama.” Hongbin said eating his food. Jonnie nodded in understanding.

“I will show you the drama when we get home.” I said with a smile.

“I don’t like the idea of them messing with you.” Taekwoon murmured quietly. Jonnie blushed dark red.

“I will be ok.” She smiled.

“You’re right, you will be. I won’t let anything happen to you.”

“We don’t need to be protected. We are girls, not glass.” She said sternly.

“Jonnie.” I murmured. “They are just trying to help.”

“I know. We have taken care of ourselves this long. We aren’t helpless.” She looked down at her food.

“I don’t think you are helpless. I just don’t want to see you getting hurt or getting in trouble for defending yourself.” Taekwoon replied. “You aren’t in the US anymore. The school does not cater to what is fair. Do not be naive to think that what is right and good always comes out on top. Here what is more advantageous and brings greater reward wins. It is wrong and has faults but that is what is true. So if anything let me protect you from yourself.”

WooJeong’s POV

For the first time in a very long time, I had no snarky brave comeback. Taekwoon sat there, his face stern but full of concern. The tight line of his lips proved he wasn't messing around. But his dark chocolate eyes screamed at me in a way no one had ever gotten the chance to do before. How one look could stare straight into my soul was beyond me. So, instead of my lips blazing with their usual fiery comebacks to being treated like a child, I simply dropped my gaze and nodded.

A soft smile formed on his lips where the firm line used to be and he relaxed. “Thank you." His voice dropped to a whisper as he leaned closer taking on of my hands that had been folded in my lap. “I will take care of you. I promise.”

I shuddered, nodding again, weaving our fingers together. “I trust you.”

The bell signalling the end of lunch pulled us out of whatever moment we were having. Minnie promptly got off of Hakyeon’s lap straightening her skirt, a red tint on her cheeks again. I chuckled under my breath and  Taekwoon smiled and squeezed my hand.

Taekwoon walked me to class and the rest of the day went by in a blur. Literally. My head started hurting from all of the Korean shortly after lunch. I speak Korean much less than Minnie does. Trying to keep up with the instructors as they taught was definitely proving difficult. I was very happy when the last bell of the day sounded.

As usual the boys huddled by the steps of the school. Minnie was wrapped protectively in Hakyeon’s arms as I approached the group. Hongbin grinned at me as I scanned the group for Taekwoon. I smiled happily back at him.

“Taekwoon had to go to the office. He will be back soon.” My smile that was starting to slip came back into place at Hongbin’s words.

“Oh, ok.” I nodded, standing next to him.

“He forgot his soccer cleats at home and his mother had to bring them to the office.” Sanghyuk piped up from the other side of Wonshik.

“I’m not his keeper.” I chuckled hoping my nonchalant disposition masked my secret comfort in them telling me about where he was. My head was pounding and I ached for the opportunity to put his cold hands against my forehead. My eyes closed as I leaned against the railing, hoping it would sooth some of the aches.

A hand slipped into mine a few moments later and a small smile washed across my lips. I lifted the chilled fingers to my face not opening my eyes.

“Does your head hurt?” His voice was soft and close. I went to nod but the movement sent a wave of nausea to my stomach and I groaned in complaint. “Do you need anything? Should you sit down?” The concerned tone that was beginning to become ever more familiar sounded in his voice again.

“I will be ok. I think that I just need to go home.” I pressed my face into his hand.

“Jonnie, I don’t know if the train is gonna be a smart idea.” My sister’s voice wavered slightly as she subconsciously debated on whether or not to say anything.

“What other choice do we have? It’s not like mom or dad can come get us.” I adjusted so my head rested against Taekwoon’s chest. He tensed under my skin but relaxed immediately. “Sorry.” I went to move back to where I had been standing, but he stopped me.

“Don’t. It just caught me off guard.” He whispered quietly.

“So how are we gonna get home?” Minnie piped in again. I groaned in response.

“I think I might have an idea.” Hongbin’s voiced. I could practically hear the smile on his face.