Her First Swear

Tangled

"Excellent job, Seohyun. Another 100 percent."

I smiled in satisfaction, as the teacher placed my math test on my desk. A big, red, bolded 100 greeted me. I let out a sigh of relief. All those nights spend studying were worth it.

Suddenly, the bell rang loudly, which signaled the end of the school day. Everyone immediately bolted out of their seats and charged for the door. I noticed sourly, that one of the boys had ripped his test in half and left it on the floor. Pouting, I picked it up and tossed it in the trash can. Geez, didn't they even know basic manners?

"Oh, Seohyun? Could you come over here for a sec? I need to talk to you," The teacher exclaimed, gesturing for me to come to his desk. Despite my confusion, I obeyed silently.

I cleared my throat. "Is there something wrong?"

"No, no!" He laughed. "You haven't done anything wrong, Seohyun. It's just that...it seems that your mother has decided to put you into a counseling program with the school nurse. I'm unsure of the reason why."

I felt all the blood drain from my face instantly. Umma had never mentioned anything like counseling at home. Why would I need to go see the nurse for counseling? Had I done anything strange lately? Nope. I was still the same Seohyun, acting as I always would.

"I haven't heard about this actually," I replied nervously, snapping out of my busy thoughts.

He looked surprised. "Really? Maybe you should talk to your mother about it at home then. If she still wants you to do the counseling, it'll be right after school in his office tomorrow."

I bowed. "Yes, I understand."

"Alright, you may leave now," The teacher said with a smile.

I sprinted out of the door, desperate to get home as soon as possible. I needed to know why umma had done such a thing. It was embarrassing! The last time that someone had gone to a counseling session with the nurse was for a hygiene problem. I barely caught the bus and boarded it with a weary heart.

I tried to recall any events where I'd been weird. There was that one time when I explained to appa that if he ate hamburgers, he'd die. But, that was something I always did! Umma was aware that I was a health freak.

I sighed in frustration. Maybe it was just better to calm down. Panicking wouldn't help anything and I'd just ask umma about it when I got home. She'd probably realize that she made a mistake or something and cancel the counseling sessions. There was nothing to be so stressed out about.

As the bus stopped with a loud creak, I rose from my seat and practically leaped out of the doors. I ran (rather pathetically) to my house and flung the door open, racing to the kitchen. Umma was there, cooking a batch of cupcakes. Ew. How unhealthy were those pink, gooey things?

"What's wrong, Seohyun-ah? You're out of breath," Umma gasped in concern, rushing over to me.

I waved her off. "That's not the problem, umma. I want to know why you signed me up for counseling sessions with the nurse."

A smile broke out on her face. "You already found out? Aren't you excited?"

"Excited? Why would I be?" I asked. "Umma, I don't understand why I would need counseling. I'm perfectly fine. I've been acting normal and it's not as if I did something weird."

"You have no friends, that's the problem!" She shrieked hysterically.

I blinked, taken aback by her loud voice. Friends? Friends? It had never occured to me that I needed friends. I didn't fit in with the girls at my school. They loved fashion and talked about boys, while I was usually at home studying. Despite having no friends, I was still happy with my life. If it didn't bother me, why would it bother umma?

"I'm fine without friends, umma. It's not as if I'm depressed or anything," I replied calmly. I was trying to make HER calm down, but she only replied back with a louder voice.

"All you do is study, study, study! I want you to rebel for once! It's alright to be immature sometimes. You're just a 16-year old!" Umma cried.

I tilted my head. "Umma, I study because I want to get good grades. I can't make friends with people who have completely different interests from me. I don't like talking about clothes or the cutest boys."

"I don't think it's a matter of interest, dear. It's mostly your fault. Your so anti-social that no one can hold a proper conversation with you," Umma replied sadly.

A sudden chill struck me as I glanced up to meet umma's eyes. Tears were welling up in the corners of her eyes and she desperately tried to stop them from falling. I had made her suffer so much because of my own selfishness. Now that I thought about it, I never brought any friends over, simply because I had none. It was probably humiliating and painful for her to hear her friends' brag about their daughters and their friends.

"Alright. I'll go to the counseling sessions and make an effort to befriend people," I said, grateful that a smile broke out across umma's face. She walked over to me and grabbed me in a tight hug.

"Gomawo, Seo..." She whispered.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[The Next Day, After School]

I let out a deep breath, a hand pressed to my chest. Here I was, standing in front of the nurse's office. I probably looked like a creep to the students passing by, but I didn't care. Finally gaining the courage, I bravely opened the door...

Only to be hit in the face with a notebook. What a lovely way to start my counseling session...

I crouched down to pick up the notebook, noticing that there was another kid, around my age, in the room. Hopefully, he wasn't as immature and erted as the boys in my classes.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Seohyun-sshi. This kid threw that notebook in the midst of his temper tantrum," The nurse explained, scratching his head nonchalantly. The boy in front of him was practically shooting death lasers out of his eyes.

"What the hell? Don't spout crap," He snarled, rising from his seat to snatch the notebook from my hand. Well, that was rude. Was a simple thank you that hard to say? Plus, he hadn't even apologized for hitting me in the face.

"I'm the school doctor, Kim Jaejoong. You can call me Jaejoong-oppa," He laughed at my eyes widening. "Just kidding!~ Call me ssam. The kid over there is gonna have counseling with you. His name is Yonghwa." (a/n: ssam is basically an informal way of saying teacher in korean. formal would be seonsaengnim.)

"Annyeonghaseyo. Please feel free to just call me Seohyun. It's nice to meet you, ssam and Yonghwa-sshi," I greeted them, bowing to be polite.

Ssam clasped his hands together. "Alrighty then! Let's get started with our counseling. Take a seat next to Yonghwa, Seohyun."

I tentatively took a seat by Yonghwa-sshi, slightly scared that I might anger him. Judging from his behavior, I could tell that he had a tough time controlling his temper and I did not want to be his target.

"You two are here for different reasons. Seohyun is here because she's anti-social. Yonghwa is here because of his rebellious behavior. I'm here to help both of you out," Ssam explained.

Suddenly, Yonghwa-sshi took out a cigarette and lit it. The odor of the poisoning smoke filled my nose, much to my disgust. I couldn't take it. My dad had quit smoking because of my endless nagging. Unable to hold myself back, I grabbed the cigarette from him, shooting him a glare.

"What the hell's your problem!?" He hissed, reaching over to take the cigarette back. I stubbornly moved back so he couldn't reach it.

"What's my problem? What's YOUR problem? Smoking is prohibited in school and you're still a minor! Do you know how unhealthy this is? You can easily get lung cancer!" I snapped.

Ssam simply stared at us in amusement, crossing his arms.

"If I get lung cancer or not, that's not your problem! off!" He yelled.

I narrowed my eyes sharply. "Stop swearing too! I don't care if it's not my problem. Don't you know that smoking is an inconvenience to the people around you? Ssam and I were second-hand smoking!"

"You ing ! Give it back! If it bothers you that much, I'll leave!" Yonghwa hollered angrily.

"Listen to me, Jung Yonghwa. You are going to stay here till five. You are going to listen to ssam. And you are not going to smoke. Understand me?" I said through gritted teeth.

"Why do you get to deci-"

"Guys, let's calm down!" Ssam cut in. "Seohyun's right, Yonghwa. No smoking here. You're here to quit smoking and all those other bad things."

Though still upset, Yonghwa finally gave in and I disposed of his cigarette. It was obvious that the two of us were still on bad terms with each other. Nevertheless, we sat through ssam's lecture for the whole hour.

"Your homework each night will be to write a journal entry about your feelings on that day. Did you get angry? If so, why? Were you sad? What was the cause of it?" Ssam said. "Have at least half a page."

Yonghwa groaned. "Dammit!"

The afterschool bell rang loudly and we were dismissed. Right when I walked out of the room, Yonghwa's face greeted me. Argh! I didn't want to argue anymore with him!

"What do you want?" I asked, struggling to keep my voice steady.

He didn't reply, simply moving closer and closer to me. Alarmed, I tried to push him away, but he was too strong for me. Soon, I was up against the wall outside of ssam's office. Yonghwa hovered over me, his breath tickling my neck.

"S-Stop it," I protested weakly, my heart racing.

His face came closer to mine, and the sudden thought that he was gonna kiss me ran through my mind. I squeezed my eyes shut, only to feel a bump on my forehead. Opening my eyes, I found Yonghwa staring back at me, his forehead pressed to mine.

"Y-You!" I shrieked.

He stuck out his tongue childishly, running out of the school building before I had a chance to snap his head off. For the first time in my entire life, I felt the urge to swear.

So i did.

"Jung Yonghwa, you !" I screamed, my voice echoing throughout the hallway.

It was the first rebellious act that I'd committed and it was all thanks to Jung Yonghwa. Farewell to my innocence and purity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: It was a bit boring, wasn't it? Haha. Hopefully, it'll get better in the following chapters. Thanks for reading and I'd greatly appreciate it if you left a comment. :)

Thank you for subscribing! - sile09, se4sons, haru14, hiko27, kpoplover88, tthnguyen, & queengurl58. I'll try my best not to disappoint you guys! :D