A Prince for you

A Prince for you

“I’ll be back later ok? To pick you up,” he brushed her long hair, “I’ll be here right here after school.”

“Promise?” She mumbled, wanting him to not let her go.

“Promise princess,” he laid a kiss on the top of her head. “I’ve got to get to work now,” he put her down on the ground gently, giving a small smile the teacher’s way. “Have a great first day.”

“Bye daddy,” she pouted, “you better be here.”

“I promise. On my sword, my princess,” he said, kneeling on one knee.

“Good,” she said flouncing away in her new dress with the teacher sending him a grateful smile as they brought her inside.

Joshua stood up, dusted off his pants, and watched until he couldn’t see her tiny little body anymore. “Time to get to work,” he sighed.


“Good morning hyung. Where’s princess Soojin today?” Jun asked.

“School. Her first day at the new school,” Joshua chuckled, “she didn’t want me to put her down.”

“First day at a new school away from her daddy? Yea I can’t see the princess wanting that.” Jun laughed imagining the epic pout on Soojin’s cute little face. “She didn’t throw a tantrum did she?”

“No,” Joshua replied, sitting down in his barely used cubicle, “she was ok once I promised her I’d be there.”

“The prince had to promise the princess?” Jun asked, knowing all about their little thing of Soojin being the princess and Joshua being the prince who always did what his princess bid of him, within reason of course.

“What else would placate the princess in this case?” Joshua smiled, lightly touching the picture frame he had in his workspace of Soojin.

“God hyung, imagine her when she’s grown up. She’ll have all those boys whipped,” Jun barked, laughing into his computer.

“No,” Joshua said sternly. “No boys for Soojin until she’s ready.”

Jun’s eyebrow lifted, “You mean when you’re ready?”

Joshua gave him a death glare, ignoring the question.

Laughing Jun said as he collected some papers, “Well thank god they let you work from home half the time huh? Otherwise who knows what Soojin will get up to without her beloved prince watching her.”

“My daughter is an angel,” Joshua said.

“Uh huh,” Jun laughed, “the cutest angel. Until something sets her off and its demon Soojin on the rampage.” He paused thinking, “A lot like you though. Nice and gentle until someone ticks you off immensely and then the gloves come off,” he shrugged, “she must’ve gotten it from you.”

Funny how nurture worked, Soojin not being his biological daughter. His cousin, her real father, had been an active sort of guy, quick to anger but quick to forgive. Rest his soul. How Joshua wished he was still here raising her with his wife instead of Joshua, a poor imitation of those two. A senseless way to go, Joshua hated how a night out for them turned out to be their last.

He bit his lip, trying to stifle the emotions. Now wasn’t the time to think about how he came to have Soojin. She was counting on him to be there today, and for the rest of her days. Joshua grabbed his pile of work and set to finishing it.


Soojin leaned on her tiptoes looking for her daddy. “He’s not here yet.”

“Well it’s still early Soojin,” the teacher said gently. “He’ll be here.”

She pulled a face, “I wanted to let daddy meet my new prince.” Soojin hoped that he wouldn’t be mad that she found a new prince to replace him.

“Ah, well looks like Haneul’s uncle is here so best say goodbye to your prince,” she said.

Soojin ran to Haneul, “Bye Haneul! See you tomorrow!”

Waving back at her, he shouted, “Bye princess Soojin. See you tomorrow!”

She smiled toothily.

Haneul and his uncle walked away, going home.

“Princess Soojin?” Jeonghan asked. “Did you fall in love already? Calling a girl princess.”

“I’m her prince,” Haneul said, puffing out his little chest proudly. Soojin was a princess with her pretty hair and cute face.

Jeonghan laughed. “Better not tell her dad that. I bet he eats little princes for breakfast.” He shook his head, “Wait until I tell your mom. She’ll get a kick out of this.” Kids these days were so proactive.

“Nooo Uncle,” Haneul whined.

Ignoring the whines coming from Haneul, Jeonghan laughed as they walked back to the apartment.


Joshua walked up to the kindergarten smiling as Soojin ran up to him in a tizzy, all excited that he was finally here. The teacher gave a nod of acknowledgment which Joshua returned.

Soojin babbled away. Words were flitting in and out of Joshua’s ears about her day and how she made friends and how the kids found her eyes to be really pretty. “Just like you always tell me they are daddy.”

“Your eyes are the prettiest jewels I’ve ever seen Soojin,” Joshua said in agreement. “Was school fun today?”

Soojin nodded solemnly. “It was. They weren’t mean and the teachers were nice and I learned some new words today daddy.”

“Really?” Joshua said, making sure to interject surprise into his voice to keep the excitement up. “Tell me what they are.”

They walked to his car, Soojin speaking each word with clarity, defining each word for Joshua.


The next day Joshua dropped Soojin off easily, watching her flounce away. He turned to walk back to his car only to be stopped by the teacher.

“Mr. Hong, I wanted to give you a minor report on Soojin, since you asked for one.”

Joshua nodded. He forgot all about that. “Oh yes, of course. Thank you.”

“Soojin did well yesterday. She adapted quickly and most of the children took to her. She made a few friends already. Overall she seems to be doing fine.” The teacher grinned widely, “She’s even found a prince it seems.”

At those words Joshua’s heart dropped. His little girl found a prince? Who was this little upstart who dared to steal his princess’s heart? Soojin was too young to choose someone to love.

“A prince?” Joshua said, faking the calmness when he wanted to tear into the classroom and grab Soojin.

“Yes, prince Haneul.” The teacher laughed like this was a regular occurrence, children falling in love.

“I’ll make sure to come early to meet her new prince then,” he said. Joshua couldn’t believe himself, but he was ready to size up a child to see if he was good enough for Soojin. God fatherhood was making him go crazy.

His whole work day was interrupted by the thought of Soojin in love. Why? His cousin would rise from the grave and kill him for allowing such a thing. Breathing steadily he reasoned with himself, children fell in and out love all the time. They had little understanding of what it really meant. It’d be fine. Totally fine.


Joshua parked the car and walked up to the kindergarten. Greeting the other parents and guardians he looked around for a head of black sleek hair and blue green eyes.

He heard his daughter before he saw her. “Daddy,” she shrieked. Soojin ran towards him with a big smile on her face. Joshua smiled back on reflex.

Picking her up he said, “Hey princess. How was school?”

At the word princess Soojin . “Wait. I have something to tell you,” her eyes gleamed with delight, “Daddy, I found a prince.”

“A prince?” Joshua asked. A prince, his heart couldn’t take this. Breathe Joshua, he thought, it’s just a child’s little crush, nothing will come of it.

“Yes,” she said. “Put me down please daddy. I need to go get him to show you my prince.”

Joshua bent down and placed her on the dirt, watching as she weaved in and out of other students to find this prince of hers.

Soojin came back, hand in hand with a boy her age. A cute child with bright eyes. “This is Haneul. My prince.”

She turned to Haneul, “This is daddy Haneul, my old prince.”                                             

Placing a hand on his hip Joshua asked, “I’m being replaced Soojin?” He’d play along. These things didn’t last.

“Nope. You said when I found a prince to take over for you I should tell you. I found a prince daddy,” Soojin said her little face serious.

“Then what am I going to do princess? I’m all alone now,” Joshua said, making sure to sound sad.

“I’m going to find you a new prince daddy. Uncle Soonyoung said you haven’t gotten anyone in a while. So I’ll find you a good person.”

Oh my lord. Joshua was going to kill Soonyoung. How dare he talk about how Joshua hadn’t dated or had with anyone in a while with his daughter. His friend was going to get it.

In that moment a laugh came out from behind. Startled Joshua turned around to see a guy half bent in laughter.

“Uncle!” Haneul cried out.

Joshua turned back to Soojin ignoring the other guy. “Soojin, honey, let’s not listen to Uncle Soonyoung yea? He doesn’t know what he’s talking about.”

She shook her head, “Nuh uh daddy. He sounded serious. Like you do when you take business calls. Uncle Soonyoung wouldn’t lie when he sounds serious.”

“You should listen to your daughter there,” the other guy said, standing up from his half bent position.

He had a handsome face, clever eyes, straight nose, strong jaw. Joshua ignored him once again. “Soojin, daddy doesn’t need a prince. All I need is you.”

“But Uncle Soonyoung said that once I grew up daddy would be lonely. I have to find you a prince daddy!”

Haneul jumped in, “Uncle can be your prince!”

Joshua gasped. Kids these days. The other guy came forward, lips in smile. “I’m Yoon Jeonghan. Haneul’s uncle. And I guess your prince.” He grabbed Joshua’s hand and kissed the top of it.

His jaw dropped. What was this guy thinking? Joshua yanked his hand out of his grip. “Hong Joshua, Soojin’s dad. And definitely not looking for a prince.”

The other guy, Jeonghan, Joshua had to remember the guy’s name was Jeonghan said with a flirty smile, “You sure about that. If Uncle Soonyoung is anyone to go off of, you haven’t dated in a while.” He spread his hands, “I’m single, hot, make good money. Good qualities for a prince I’d say.”

Raising his brow, Joshua said, “You mentioned nothing of personality. Prince’s need to be charming, nice, and loyal as well.”

Jeonghan stepped forward, hands in his pockets, exuding an aura that Joshua would peg as a bad boy back in high school. With a smirk on his face he answered, “I’m all of that too.” Looking Joshua up and down, “I can see that you’re very prince-like as well. Let’s get coffee. We can talk. Flirt. Maybe date. Then your daughter can say that she found her daddy a prince.” Smiling a bit like a shark Jeonghan continued, “And I can say I caught quite the catch.”

“Daddy,” Soojin said, pulling on his pant leg, “Haneul’s uncle is very handsome. I think he’d make a good prince for you.”

“Soojin,” Joshua sighed, “I—“

“Listen to your daughter now. I’m a quite the prince, Joshua-ssi. Trust me,” Jeonghan said.

“I seriously don’t thi—“

“Daddy,” Soojin whined, “please? I don’t want you to be lonely and have nothing but cats like Uncle Soonyoung said.”

Thinning his lips, Joshua made a note to have a nice talking to with Soonyoung. “All right princess.” He turned to Jeonghan, ignoring the victorious smile on the other man’s face. Joshua could feel a slight blush come onto his cheeks, this whole thing was ridiculous. “One coffee date, prince Jeonghan.”

The other man smiled. “That’s all I need to convince you I can be the prince of your dreams.”

Joshua huffed. Picking up Soojin he said, “Time to go home princess.”

Jeonghan let the other man walk half way before saying, “I’ll be here tomorrow too. Let’s exchange numbers. For our coffee date.”

Soojin waved to Haneul, “Bye!” She turned to her dad, “I think Haneul’s uncle will be a good prince daddy. He made you go red in the face.”

Joshua sputtered. “What does that have to do with anything Soojin?”

“Uncle Soonyoung said that anyone who made you go red in the face and you weren’t angry was a good thing and that I should make sure you get a number?” She nodded, “Yes, Uncle Soonyoung said get a number.”

“Did he now?” Joshua asked. “I definitely need to have a talk with Uncle Soonyoung it seems.”

“So you’ll date Haneul’s uncle daddy? You won’t be lonely when I’m gone?”

Sighing Joshua replied, “We’ll see Soojin.” He could feel it in his bones he’d regret agreeing to a coffee date with a man like that.