A Broken Heart

Friendship

This Chapter will have sporadic flash forwards—meaning, there would be some from the past years and not just 2016. Enjoy!

Chapter XIV

A Broken Heart

Flash Forward

October 30, 2016

Eun Hye was busy feeding her son Ji Hun his baby food when someone rang the doorbell. She pinched her son’s cheek lightly before heading towards the door and opening it. “Hey, Siwon and Kyhyun, c’mon in.”

Eun Hye gave Siwon fist bump and then, gave Kyuhyun a tight hug. “Thanks for inviying us over for dinner.” Kyuhyun said as he made faces in front of Ji Hun who in return flashed a toothless smile. Siwon on the other hand wandered off to the living room, scrunching his face at the weird painting tacked on the wall.

“This is really depressing.” He pointed at the picturesque painting.

“You just don’t have the sense of artistry that I have.” Eun Hye batted her eyelashes at him sarcastically.

Kyuhyun snickered a little. “Your mommy and your uncle never seem to change…isn’t that right Ji Jun…” He cooed at the baby who was playing with his bib.

“Don’t say things like that to Ji Hun.” Eun Hye said. “It might depress him.”

“So where’s your hubby?” Siwon asked as he turned the television on and flipped through some channels before deciding that there wasn’t anything worthwhile to watch and turned it off once again.

“He’s in Jeju right now for a medical mission.” Eun hHye said as she carried her son. “We’re planning to visit mom and dad next week.” She said as she huffed a little since her baby was a teensy bit heavier than the usual. “If you want you guys can come with us too.”

Kyuhyun shuffled his feet. “I don’t know…my parents…I haven’t really talked to them in ages.”

“That’s why we’re going.” Siwon said, as he slowly took his nephew from Eun Hye. There was a slight beeping sound coming out and the door suddenly opened. Eun Hye turned to look and saw her husband.

“You’re here!” She said, walking up to him and giving him a hug.

“I’m here.” He whispered.

End of Flash Forward

February 13, 2007

Lee Eunhyuk was walking dow the corridors of their school. He scrunched his nose on the flyers about the Valentine’s Day Dance. He looked at the red and pink glittery posters that depict hearts and arrows. He scoured after all, Eun Hye is dating Lee Donghae. As he passed by the modern art class room, he heard a voice that seemingly belonged to Donghae…he was talking to someone but Eunhyuk didn’t recognize the voice.

“So, all set for our plan?” The other boy said to Donghae.

“Yeah…she doesn’t even have a clue…” Donghae said. “But are you sure about humiliating her in public, especially on Valentine’s day?”

Eunyuk’s brows knitted together, clearly confused.

“Choi Eun Hye deserves it after getting me suspended just because she’s the Student Council President.”

Eunhyuk’s hands balled into fists. So that was it huh? He never really like Eun Hye? Deciding to listen to the conversation more, Eunhyuk remained glued to where he was standing.

“Y—you have to keep your promise…the one thousand dollars. Okay?” Donghae sounded a little nervous.

Eunhyuk couldn’t believe that Donghae would do this to Eun Hye and he’s willing to out his friendship with Siwon on the line just for mere amounts of money.

“Hey, if this is successful, I’ll throw in an extra one thousand dollars for you…”

Eunhyuk waited until the boy, now, he saw as Yesung and some of his friends who looked like beefy butheads leave the class room. He felt his blood boiling when he saw Donghae leaving the room as well. He marched towards him and punched him square on the jaw. The other boy stumbled back in surprise.

Donghae looked at Eunhyuk and went up to him angrily and punched him right on the face, making his nose bleed. He toppled over Eunhyuk and began to punch him. “Who do you think you are to punch me? Huh? Just because Eun Hye didn’t choose you, you didn’t have to be a sore loser about it!” He scoured.

Eunhyuk flipped them over and grabbed a hold of Donghae’s head and began punching him. “You’re a coward, you’re a ing coward!” He screamed.

“Eunhyuk, stop it!”

Euhyuk looked up and saw Eun Hye. She pulled him away from Donghae and then helped the other boy up. Eunhyuk just stood there, incriminated. “What’s wrong with you?” Eun Hye asked hoarsely, getting the attention of other students. “Why are you acting this way?”

“Ask that coward!” Eunhyuk wiped his bloody nose with the back of his hand. “Don’t you even know that he’s just using you to earn money?” He looked at Donghae directly, the other boy seemed to be frozen in his spot because of what Eunhyuk said. “Tell her you bastard!”

“That’s enough Eunhyuk!” Eun Hye’s eyes were blazing with anger that Eunhyuk had never even seen before. “You don’t need to make up stories to make me change my mind because you just destroyed our friendship!” She carefully grabbed Donghae’s hand and they left Eunhyuk standing there, feeling like a loser. There were murmurs from the other students who looked at Eunhyuk in disdain. His shoulders slumped as he stalked off. For the first time in his life, he left school early, not even bothering go to his classroom to get his stuff. He needed to be alone. He wanted to be alone.

As he headed out the door, someone called him a psycho. Normally he would bark out a snarky intelligent comment but today was not the day. He just felt too tired.

It was dinner time at the Choi household and it was really awkward. Siwon and Kyuhyun were sitting next to each other while Eun Hye and Donghae were in front of them. Mr. and Mrs. Choi were on both ends of the table looking at the four teenagers in their dining room.

“Can Kyuhyun and I be excused?” Siwon asked his parents politely. The other boy just bowed his head.

Mr. Choi raised an eyebrow. “Why? This is Kyuhyun;s favorite food, Right?” he was referring to lasagna.

“I just don’t want things to be awkward around me and Donghae. So, Kyuhyun and I will just eat later.” Siwon said.

Mr. Choi sighed. “How can you settle the awkwardness when you avoid each other?”

When nobody answered Mr. Choi sighed. “Fine. You’re excused.”

“Thank you.” Siwon murmured. “Let’s go?” he turned to Kyuhyun and nodded for him to go with him. Kyuhyun bowed at Mr.Choi and excused himself.

“This dinner is starting make me lose my appetite.” Mr. Choi said to nobody in particular.

 

Flash Forward

June 17, 2008

“Keep on eating that and you’ll really get it from me.” Eun Hye warned Henry. The younger boy flashed her smile. Eun Hye and Henry decided go to college together—due to Henry being a secret genius, enabling him to skip a couple of grades and graduate early with the rest of Eun Hye’s friends. They were actually scholars in Seoul University. Eun Hye is taking up Preschool Education while Henry was taking up Political Science.

“I like eating this,” Henry popped the lollipop out of his mouth and raised it. “This calms my nerves especially with the coming major exams for the first semester.”

Eun Hye nodded. “You’re still such a kid.” She murmured. Henry nodded in agreement. Suddenly someone tapped Eun Hye on the shoulder, she turned around and saw Siwon and Kyuhyun together. “Hey, guys, what’s up?”

“Nothing much, we’re just grabbing lunch, you guys want to come with us?” Siwon placed an arm around Eun Hye and gave her head a noogie which the latter detested resulting into a few seconds of slap fest between the Choi siblings.

“This is fun to watch.” Henry whispered to Kyuhyun.

“I know.” Kyuhyun agreed conspiratorially.

After Eun Hye and Siwon finally settled down, they went to the cafeteria only to be greeted by someone they’d hadn’t talked to in over a year. Siwon’s expression hardened and Eun Hye just looked the other way, not wanting to remember what happened that Valentine’s day over a year ago. It still hurt way too much for her to even think of.

February 14, 2007

Eun Hye and Donghae arrived at the school gymnasium and they were greeted by rented photographers who flashed their camera’s temporarily making everything sparkle. When the got inside the dining area, it is filled with pinks, reds, and whites which made everything feel more romantic and passionate.

“Thanks for taking me here.” Eun Hye looked at Donghae with gleaming, happy eyes.

Donghae was so out of it so he couldn’t even speak up. “Are you okay?” He looked at her and smiled at her forcefully.

There was a loud crackle on the microphone that caught everyone’s attention. “Ladies and gentlemen.” To Donghae’s horror, it was Yesung. “May I have your attention please.”

Siwon and Kyuhyun also arrived in style, everyone was whispering about them but they could care less.”What’s that guy doing up there?” Siwon snarled. Kyuhyun just held his hand and squeezed it, as if willing him not to get angry.

Donghae felt his perspiration seeping to his back as he waited for what was about to come.

“I see that we have our star baseball player here, Mr. Lee Donghae.” Eun Hye looked from Yesung and then, at Donghae.

“What’s up?” She asked him worriedly.

“C’mon up here, Donghae! You told me that you wanted to tell the whole student body something!” Yesung jeered, as if cajoling Donghae to spill the beans already. He reluctantly went up as students began whispering to each other.

Eun Hye, Kyuhyun and Siwon just looked on. As Donghae stepped in front of the whole school,he audibly swallowed. He looked at the expressions on Eun Hye, Kyuhyun, and Siwon’s face…it was a mixture of confusion and surprise.

As Donghae was about to speak up, the LCD projector began to catapult image on the white wall. A music akin to the nursery rhyme, Old McDonald had a farm. Donghae looked at Yesung, clearly perplexed. “What the hell is going on?” he mouthed to Yesung who in turn, just shrugged and looked happy about what was happening.

Then, a voice over was heard. “Once, there was a farm that housed, three little pigs” the entire gymnasium erupted in laughter as three of Eun Hye’s pictures from her chubby days flashed. They were mashed together as the a the sound of pigs played which made everyone laugh, all of them were looking at Eun Hye who seemed frozen in her place.

“Choi Eun Hye. Our Schools Pig finally fell in love with a Prince!” The haughty voice over played. “She’s in love with our very own, Lee Donghae!” Everyone just hooted as tears started to prick Eun Hye’s eyes. Suddenly she felt like vomiting.”Our poor little piggy thinks that the prince likes her when in reality, he just needed to blow off some steam…”

Donghae stood there, just appalled by what was happening right now. “Let’s hear it for Donghae, the man who made Choi Eun Hye—our little pig—and broke her heart for all of us who never really liked her…”

Loud cheers erupted as Yesung nodded at Donghae before living the gymnasium.

Siwon clenched his jaw and balled his hands into fists as he marched towards Donghae. Meanwhile, Kyuhyun stood next to Eun Hye and wrapped her in a tight hug. “You ungrateful bastard!” Eun Hye’s older brother got on the stage and punched Donghae straight on the face. He then tackled him to the wall, knocking the wind right out of Donghae.

As Siwon was pulled away by other students Donghae struggled to stand. He wiped the blood from his lips with the back of his hand. “I—I can explain…” he muttured.

“Explain what?” Siwon bellowed loudly as he freed himself only to be grabbed on the shoulder tightly by the wrestling coach. “How you planned everything just to her my twin sister?” He spat. “How could you do that to her? Don’t you even know that she really had a hard time growing up because people always called her chubby?” Tears streaked Siwon’s cheeks. “I can’t believe I was friends with a scumbag like you!” He practically tore Donghae’s heart out by what he said.

Eun Hye stood there, tears glazing in her eyes as she looked at Donghae with so  much hatered. “That’s enough Siwon.” She said quietly, she then turned to Donghae. “I don’t even want to know why you did what you did. Just know that you’ve broken my heart in millions of pieces and I will never ever forgive you for that.” She turned around and left, Kyuhyun came after her with a worried tone in his voice as he caught up with his best friend.

“I will never ever forget this day, Lee Donghae.” Siwon said cold heartedly. “You managed to hurt my sister and that’s something that I’ll make you regret.” He paused, eyeing Donghae as if to warn him. “I want you out of my house, and out of our lives, you got it?” Siwon shoved evreryone away from him as he walked in a very fast manner.

Back to June 17, 2008

“Hey guys…” Donghae greeted them awkwardly as he cautiously approached them. “It’s been a long time huh?” He weaved through the cafeteria as he looked down on his mud-caked Vans sneakers.

Siwon absentmindedly looked at his G-Shock while Kyuhyun just offered Donghae an awkward smile. Eun Hye’s face flushed and she whipped out her new Iphone and looked at it as if coaxing someone to send her a text.

“Hey!” they all turned around and saw Henry from behind—he was running towards Donghae and he gave him a tight bear hug. “I missed you Donghae!” He cheerfully greeted. Donghae hugged Henry back. “I missed you too…”

He said as he looked at everyone making sure that they knew he missed all of them dearly. Suddenly someone coughed behind them.

“Hey, guys.”

Everyone turned to look and saw Eunhyuk carring a book bag and smiling at them. “It’s been a while, right?” He greeted them with a very western accent, the last that they’d heard from Eunhyuk, his mother told them that he decided to study as an exchange student at Princeton before coming back to study medicine. And now, he’s back.

End of Chapter

Thanks for reading and Do leave some comments awesome people!

Oh and by the way, I have a new story to be uploaded sometime this November. The Link to the foreword can be found below so please do read it!

Click Here for the FOREWORD.