Chapter 3

The Last Dance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Listen, I have an idea. You know Jieun, right?...Can you teach her the choreo before the show?... I think she would suit it better."

The words of Bang PD-nim fell down on you like heavy bricks, one by one, smashing your heart, pride, and happiness. It was so difficult to come up with that choreography and teach Jungkook all the steps with his schedules, you worked till your feet got covered in bruises, till your whole body felt numb and you just fell on the floor, staring at the ceiling. The frustration, the pain, they were bearable because you knew that a few weeks after the light will shine on you two as you glided across the stage, but now...now it felt as if everything was just the tip of the iceberg and the real pain was only about to begin.

There were dozens of people walking around the park, enjoying the -long missed- warm sunlight, and among the annoyingly dynamic and energetic figures, you were the only one fighting back tears. Sitting on the cold cement stairs that led to the sparkling river that crossed the city, with a cup of hot coffee in hand, you were emptily staring into the void. It all happened so suddenly and without a proper reason that you thought for a very long minute that it was all a dream; no, a nightmare. Well, there was a reason; as PD-nim said, they were a couple, she was a good dancer, and, after all, you and Jungkook were not on best of terms lately. A deep sigh got lost into the air as you closed the door to all the thoughts that were haunting you, trying change the focus to something else.

The warm feeling of the cup between your hands was already making you feel better. You took a sip, letting the steam tickle your skin as you indulged in the nice feeling. It was already so cold outside, why did your heart have to feel the same. This was the place you would often come to when you had something on your mind, or when you simply wanted to take a walk to relax. There was something so calming about the sound the water made as it flowed without stopping and the wind that played with your hair, especially during the night or early in the morning when the silence was reigning over the whole area. Now there were so many people around talking, running, laughing, disturbing the peaceful aura of it, and you along with it. As soon as you finished the coffee, you got up and started walking, getting lost in the crowd.

The sun was already starting to go down when you started heading towards the studio. You have been roaming aimlessly through the city all day, trying to get it out of your mind, but it was still bugging you. Why her? You sighed as you entered the building, getting ready for the torture. It was the first lesson, maybe it would not be so bad. After all, there is nothing you could do anyways. You just had to go with it and finish fast. As you stepped up the stairs you feared she would be in your studio with Jungkook again, but to your surprise it was empty, covered in darkness, just like you left it. Under the dim lights and loud music, a shadow was moving across the room, its movements so volcanic yet soft. Behind the door, another figure was watching the scene, some sort of sadness in its eyes.

"Jungkook!" A cheerful -probably too cheerful- voice startled him.

"Oh, Jieun, you're here."

"Of course. What were you doing?" She clung to his arm.

"Nothing."

"Hm? Were you watching her?" She pouted as if she was jealous.

"No, no." Jungkook giggled. "I was just waiting for you."

"Oh, really?" Jieun smiled, closing the distance even more.  

As the song came to an end, so did your dance, leaving you panting hard, with sweat dripping from your forehead. The image of the people outside that was reflected into the mirror caught your eye, making you turn around to get a better look. Your heart sank when you saw who they were and once again when you saw Jieun pushing herself up on her toes as she pressed her lips onto Jungkook's. Your chest tightened all of a sudden, as if it was not enough you were out of breath. It hurt. You turned around, almost collapsing as you tried to fight back the tears. What sin did you commit to deserve all of this? Couldn't they keep it to themselves? It was making you sick. You acted as if you saw nothing, in hopes they didn't notice it either.

"What was that?" Jungkook's eyes were wide.

"Nothing." Jieun chuckled. "I have to go, practice starts soon." She was about to open the door when Jungkook stopped her.

"No, it's better not to enter."

"Huh? Why?"

"This is Y/N's personal studio."

"So?"

"You'll probably use one of the others for your practice."

"Does she hate me that much?" She seemed offended.

"No, it's not that. But she always used this by herself. Not even the other members are allowed to enter without her consent."

"But you did."

"Yeah...but-"

"Is she in love with you?!"

"What?" He was taken aback by her words, but even more by her indignation. "No. We're just close friends. And we also had to work for this choreo together so..."

"But you love me, right?" She looked up at him, cutely blinking as she waited for the answer.

"Of course, silly." Jungkook smiled and ruffled her hair.

You opened the door, surprising both of them. Your face had no emotion left, your eyes were tired and hair a mess.

"Oh, my! You scared me." Jieun laughed. It almost made you roll your eyes.

"You're here? We'll use the main studio, the big one. Get ready and come, I'll wait for you there."   

"Ok, I'll be there in a second." You heard her say from behind as you were already heading towards the room.

Jungkook looked as you faded into the distance. It felt so weird how now your eyes were barely even locking, how words were hard to say, when a week ago you were laughing like crazy in the same studio that was now empty. He missed it, but at the same time he was  too angry at you to say "sorry" for some reason. Seeing him like this frustrated Jieun to a point she wanted you to just leave the company.

"Jungkook!" She screamed.

"Yeah?"

"I said I'm going."

"Oh, yeah...I should go too, the boys must be waiting." He cupped her face. "Do well! Fighting!" He kissed her forehead.

You were already done setting the music when Jieun entered the room. She wore the same bright smile that she did when you first met.

"Here we go..." You mumbled to yourself and sighed.

You talked a bit about the choreography and the feeling that should come with it, the expressions she had to show, and then went straight to teaching her the moves. To you the moves seemed so natural and easy to follow, but that was not the case for her. She kept failing even at the easiest of steps, making your frustration grow. But you knew you had to control your

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter