Bad Ideas

Wanna Love You Again

Bobby got back to the dorm early the next morning to get his laptop and some textbooks. To his surprise, Hanbin was already up and there was no sign of whoever the girl from last night was. There was that dog sitting on the window ledge looking around the room.

 

"Oh, you're back! Hi..." Hanbin didn't realize Bobby had come in and was surprised to see him so early. He checked his phone for the time: 9:34AM.

 

"Yeah I have a sociology test on Wednesday and a music theory essay due tomorrow so I was going to go study at the library or something. Where's the girl from last night?" Bobby asked, rummaging around their mess of a room for his psychology textbook and laptop charger.

 

"Oh, uh she left early. We didn't actually hook up..." Hanbin looked down, nervous about what he was going to say next. His roommate looked up from his search with a puzzled expression. "Yeah uhh... I um... I told her that I like someone else. I don't know why I invited her over anyway it was a dumb idea." He scratched the back of his head and fumbled with his hair. 

 

"So who is this mystery person? Do I know them?" Bobby asked, still immersed in his hunt for this damn textbook.

 

"No. I um, I'm gonna go get breakfast at the dining hall. I'll see you around." Hanbin slung his bag over his shoulder and left the room, his heart pounding in his chest. When he was far enough down the hall June appeared next to him. 

 

"So why didn't you tell him?" 

 

"Jesus June! Don't just appear, god!" Hanbin jumped, scared less by the sudden appearance of his fairy god mother. "I don't know. I just, need more time."

 

"Well, you only have four more days here. Then you go back to the night you wished for this."

 

Four more days, okay. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On his way back from the dining hall Hanbin was busy texting his friends he didn't even see Jennie walk up to him, let alone realize what was happening as she slapped him across the face.

 

"! What the..." Hanbin dropped his phone and held a hand to his now red cheek. Picking up his phone he looked up to see a very angry Jennie leering over him.

 

"That's for embarrassing me last night. But you can make it up to me when you take me out tonight." Jennie had her arms crossed over her chest, eyeing Hanbin as he stood up, cracked phone in hand.

 

"Are you crazy? You just broke my phone and you think I'm going to take you on a date?!" 

 

Jennie just looked back and smirked. "Yes. Because people don't say no to me. Pick me up at 7 okay?" She started to walk away but Hanbin grabbed her arm.

 

"Even if I was going to take you out I don't know where you live and I already told you that I like someone else."

 

"I live in your building idiot. Jeez you really are weird sober." Jennie scoffed and pulled her arm out of his grasp. "Anyway, it doesn't matter if you like someone else because I like you now." 

 

Hanbin didn't know what to do faced with such confidence. He didn't know what to do at all really. But for some reason he found himself two floors up waiting outside her dorm room at 7PM. 

 

They went to some Italian place near campus, nice but not fancy. Jennie was engrossed in her phone and hadn’t even looked at Hanbin since they sat down. 

 

“Hey! You asked me out, why are you just on your phone?” Hanbin said, throwing his menu down on his plate. She looked up briefly and went back to her phone. 

 

“One second, I have to finish this text.” Hanbin sighed and went back to the menu, deciding what to eat. Jennie finished up typing and finally set her phone down. “Okay done. Why do you look so annoyed?” 

 

Hanbin scoffed. “Why do I look annoyed? Maybe because you asked me out and then ignored me for the first half hour?”

 

Jennie just shrugged, a slight pout on her face. “Well, you didn’t have to come.”

 

But he did. He showed up at her door and went out anyway. Why exactly, Hanbin still didn’t know. But what he did know was that as they walked back to their building he felt almost a sense of peace. Their dinner was good and after Jennie finally put her phone down she was pretty pleasant to talk to. Hanbin was spaced out and hadn’t realized they had gotten to their dorm building. They started up the stairs but when they reached Hanbin’s floor, instead of saying goodbye and letting him go, Jennie grabbed his wrist and pulled him back towards the stairs and kissed him. Hanbin froze, eyes cartoonishly big. 

 

“What was that?” He asked. Jennie looked back at him like he was the dumbest boy she had ever known in her life. 

 

“I kissed you, duh. So are you coming in or not?” 

 

“Oh… um. I have plans tonight. So I’m just… I’ll go now.” Hanbin rushed to turn around and go back to his dorm before Jennie could say anything else. 

 

He burst into the dorm room and slammed the door shut, startling a very focused Bobby. Bobby jumped in his chair and yanked his headphones off, turning to the door. 

 

“Dude what the hell? I have like two pages done for this ten page paper and I have to focus.” Bobby tried to get back to writing but was interrupted again, this time it was Hanbin grabbing him by the shoulder and closing his laptop. 

 

“No I need my best friend, a bottle of vodka, and a lot of weed. We’re going out.” Hanbin threw some clothes that weren’t basketball shorts and an oversized T-shirt at his roommate. He had that look on his face that Bobby knew too well. It was Hanbin’s won’t take no for an answer face. 

 

“Hanbin I really can’t. I have to finish this essay before class tomorrow.” But Hanbin was stubborn and determined to forget about the weirdest date he had ever been on. It only took him six more minutes of pleading to get Bobby to break, and it took another fifteen minutes for the two roommates to get out of the dorm and on their way to a nearby nightclub. 

 

The music was blasting and the air was thick with sweat and smoke. Hanbin had just bought him and Bobby some of the finest LSD he had ever had and was currently in the middle of buying weed for later. Bobby was in the middle of the dance floor high off his , any thought of his impending essay deadline gone from his mind. The two were having a blast this Sunday night, almost Monday morning. 

 

This was one of those times Bobby should have said no.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Alarm blaring, Bobby shot up out of bed to realize he was on the floor and almost . He shut his alarm off and shouted a string of explicatives before quickly realizing he had less than an hour till his class and only a fifth of his essay. Hanbin woke up to this chaos and tried to calm down Bobby. 

 

“Just relax. Wikipedia some random about music and just copy paste. It’s just one essay, no one will even notice if you change a couple words in each sentence.” Hanbin reasoned. 

 

“That is a terrible idea. I should just beg for an extension or something.” Bobby paced around the small dorm room trying to think of the best case scenario. He could try and write as much as he could and then bring what he had to class and ask for an extension. He opened his laptop up and started typing, not really knowing what he was writing but it used key words from the readings so it would have to do. 

 

“Ugh move. I’ll help you.” Hanbin rolled Bobby away from his desk and pulled his chair over. He wikipedia-ed something vaguely like Bobby’s essay topic, found a quick summary of another paper on Google Scholar, and pasted together a full plagiarized ten pages. “And ta da! Ten pages of on topic essay.” Hanbin rolled back and leaned back, somewhat impressed with his handiwork. 

 

“This is a terrible idea.” Bobby shook his head, but he only had ten minutes until class so he ran his computer to their printer and sprinted across campus to his class. 

 

It wasn’t even dinner time when Bobby got a very strongly worded email from his professor, followed by a summons from the Student Academic Counsel for a hearing on Wednesday to determine the academic repercussions of plagiarism.