TAEKEY

Those Nights

He was lying on a bench, watching as police officers passed by his cell, busy with boring work.

 

His mind was all fuzzy. Maybe he shouldn’t have drunk that much.

 

Someone approached his cell and he quickly got up when he saw the officer open the door. He stood up a bit too fast, and he suddenly felt all dizzy. He grabbed the bars to steady himself, worried that his legs wouldn’t carry him.

 

A young man came in, and the cop locked the door behind him.

 

“The other cells are taken, so you two will have to share.” He said before leaving.

 

Kibum raised his hand to touch his head, as if the room would stop spinning if he held onto it.

 

He saw the young man sit on the bench, his elbows resting on his knees and his face in his hands. Kibum frowned. Was he okay ? He took a few steps towards the guy and sat on the bench right next to him. It made the other jump, and Kibum hugged him.

 

“Don’t be sad.” He said, resting in his head on the other’s shoulder.

 

“What the hell ?!” The other shouted, standing up and out of Kibum’s reach.

 

Kibum pouted and the young man stared at him like he had gone insane.

 

“Are you drunk ?” He asked, frowning.

 

Kibum shrugged.

 

“I think so.”

 

He looked up and focused on the man’s face. He looked young, with a soft skin and a very pretty face. His hair were black and so were his eyes, staring at Kibum like he was some crazy person coming straight from an asylum.

 

“Don’t look at me like that !” Kibum complained, glaring at the young man.

 

To his surprise, the young man smiled a bit, an amused expression written on his face.

 

“Yah ! Stop smiling you !” He shouted. “What’s so funny anyway ?”

 

A cop passed by their cell and the small smile on the young man’s face faded. Kibum frowned. He kinda liked seeing the other smile. It was cute.

 

“Why do you suddenly look so sad ?” He asked.

 

Some people would have taken his lack of tact as one of the consequences of his drunken state, but Kibum had always been like that, drunk or not. He was used to say what he had in mind, even if it came out in a harsh way. That’s how he was. Brutally honest.

 

So when something was bothering him, he asked. Even if it clearly was none of his business. He was just too curious and even more now that he was drunk.

 

“I’m not sad.”

 

“Bull !” Kibum said loudly. “What do you take me for ? I may be drunk but I ain’t stupid !”

 

“Why do you care ?!” The young man shouted. “And even if I was, why would I tell you ? You’re just some drunken jerk stuck in a cell.”

 

“Yah ! Be respectful you little brat ! I’m older than you ! And if you aren’t drunk, then why are you here then ?” He said, angry because he was being shouted at by just some kid. “Did you stole a lollipop in a candy shop ?”

 

He saw something flicker in the young man’s eyes.

 

“What ? Did I touch a nerve or something ?” They stayed like that for a few seconds and Kibum gasped. “You did steal something !”

 

The young man turned his back on him and Kibum heaved a deep sigh. Why was he reacting this way ? Wasn’t he proud of his crime or something ? Real criminals didn’t have any remorse.

 

“You’re no fun.” He said, breaking the heavy silence. “I just wanted to talk, it’s kinda lonesome in that stupid cell.”

 

The young man stayed silent.

 

“My name’s Key, by the way.” He continued.

 

The other sat on the ground, his back against the iron bars. He rested his arms on his knees and started playing with a ring on his finger.

 

“That’s not very polite to ignore people, you know.” He said with a disapproving look.

 

“Who are you ? My mother ?” The young man scoffed.

 

Please,” He said haughtily. “if I had a son, he’d be well-mannered. Not like you.”

 

The young man snorted, but Kibum caught a sight of a small smile on his lips. Kibum just rolled his eyes and sat cross-legged on the bench. They stayed silent for a while, until the young man broke the silence.

 

“I’m Taemin.”

 

Kibum smiled.

 

“What did you do to end up here ?”

 

The young man lowered his head in shame and it made Kibum’s heart sink a little. He stood up and walked over to him, sitting on the ground next to him.

 

“Hey, everyone does bad things at least once in their lives.” He said in a softer voice. “We can’t act like perfect little citizens all the time.”

 

The young man stayed silent and Kibum grabbed his hand, intertwining their fingers. When he was sad, physical contact always made him feel better. Maybe it was the same for the kid. Kibum felt he had to comfort him. He didn’t really know why, but he felt all his protective instincts kick in when he saw how vulnerable and sad the kid looked.

 

“You’re weird.” The young man said, smiling weakly.

 

“I am not !” He said, looking offended. “Be careful with what you say, I will not hesitate to kick you , I don’t care if you’re sad.”

 

He saw the young man smile a bit and he rolled his eyes. He had some nerves, telling Kibum that he was weird when it was obviously the other way around. They stayed silent, this time for good, and Kibum felt the young man squeeze his hand in his.

 

Maybe he did need someone to comfort him.