JONGHO

Those Nights

He looked up from the bar to see Minho walk in. The tall officer was dressed in his uniform, his big eyes tired - probably because of work - looking around the room.

 

“Looking for something ? Or... someone ?” Jonghyun asked, smirking.

 

The handsome officer sat at the bar and smiled.

 

“Yeah, actually. I was looking for you.”

 

“I’m flattered.”

 

“Don’t be.”

 

Jonghyun sighed and Minho smiled mischievously.

 

“The usual ?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

He smiled and started preparing some coffee. It was always the same small talk. On nights like these, Jonghyun would ask what he wanted - even if he knew Minho always ordered the same thing - and Minho would sit down and have a cup of steaming coffee. It had almost become a tradition, a daily - or should he say ‘nightly’ ? - rendez-vous for the two of them. They talked about mundane things such as the weather or what they did that night as Minho drank his cup of coffee.

 

He saw the tall man rub his eyes. He looked exhausted.

 

“Rough night ?” Jonghyun asked as he poured some milk in the coffee he was making.

 

“Yeah but… it’s okay. Thanks.” Minho said, grabbing the hot beveridge Jonghyun put in front of him. “I heard you had a rough night too.”

 

“Oh yeah, the robbery.” Jonghyun said, sighing.

 

“You okay ?” Minho asked worriedly, looking up.

 

“I’m alright.” He replied, smiling. “It was just a kid, you know. He needed money and he came here, but he didn’t look like a criminal. You should have seen his face… The prettiest robber I had ever seen ! He looked like an angel !”

 

“You wanna join his fan-club or something ?” Minho teased.

 

“What ?” He replied, smirking. “You jealous ?”

 

“Me ? Never.” He said, taking a gulp of his coffee. “You can’t judge a book by its cover, you know. Innocent-looking people can be just as dangerous as someone who looks like a criminal. I know, I’m a cop.”

 

“Oh, spare me the ‘I know because I’m a cop’ crap. I know what I saw, alright ? I have very good instincts, when someone’s bad, I can feel it in my guts. This kid was no criminal. He was probably just a good kid in desperate need for money.”

 

“Desperate people are the most dangerous.”

 

“Yeah, yeah, whatever.”

 

“He left a strong impression on you.” Minho said, raising an eyebrow.

 

“How many attractive people do you think I get to see every night ? Most of my clients are ugly and or old truck drivers and cops. Only a few people are passing by each night, but tonight… I got lucky. I got to see two beauties.”

 

“Two ?” Minho asked with an amused face at Jonghyun’s dreamy expression.

 

“Yeah, the robber and a client. I’d never seen him before, I hope he comes back. Same for the kid. They are just pieces of art, man. I could just stare at them all night.”

 

“Was he from around here ?”

 

“Dunno.” Jonghyun said, shrugging. “But man, he completely emptied my stock of beers ! I hope he got home safely, he was so wasted when he left. He became really flirty though, it was fun.”

 

He heard the other groan and when he looked up he saw the tall officer facepalming himself.

 

“I think I know who you’re talking about.” Minho said with a sigh. “I arrested a guy earlier tonight, he was drunk and kept flirting with me. Heavily. Like he really wanted to get in my pants.”

 

“Aw man…” Jonghyun exclaimed. “I’m so jealous ! So did you guys make out ?”

 

“I was on duty.” Minho said reproachfully. “And he was a pain in the , if you ask me.”

 

“Still suppressing your ual frustration ?”

 

Minho glared at him and Jonghyun smirked.

 

“ you.” He said. “And you’re one to talk, you’re getting laid as much as I am.”

 

“True.” He replied, sighing. “You know what, if I don’t find anyone to sleep with I’ll call ya.”

 

“You wish. I’m not that desperate.”

 

“You keep telling yourself that, big boy.”

 

Minho smiled. He took another gulp of his coffee and heaved a sigh.

 

“How do you even make coffee this good ?” He asked, staring at the cup in his hand.

 

“I put drugs in it so my clients get addicted.” Jonghyun replied with a serious expression.

 

Minho raised his head and snorted, a small smile on his lips.

 

“I think you forget that you’re talking to a cop.”

 

“Maybe I want to get arrested.” Jonghyun teased.

 

“Oh no, not you too.” Minho said, facepalming himself.

 

Jonghyun laughed when he saw the fed up expression on the officer’s face.

 

“Hey, I’m just joking !” He said, raising his hands. “... Or I am ?”

 

He smirked again and Minho glared at him.

 

It was also another thing they shared every night as the taller man was drinking his coffee. They flirted. Sometimes Jonghyun was in the mood and Minho wasn’t, or the other way around. Sometimes they even both flirted. In any case, there was no denying that small physical attraction between them.

 

But even though they were attracted to each other, nothing had ever happened between them, and they doubted something ever will.


And so the game continued every night. The tall officer sitting at the bar with a hot cup of coffee in his hands and the waiter behind the counter, both chatting away as they relieved themselves from the stress of work.