ONHO

Those Nights

Those nights always started the same way. He would get up around five in the afternoon, dress up in his uniform, grab two cups of coffee at a local coffee shop and drive to work, his endless routine making him act on autopilot as he grabbed the keys and went to his car. He enjoyed the silent rides through empty roads with the moon as only witness.

 

The police station was much less crowded at nighttime, with most of the cops on patrol driving around town to check there were no disturbances of any kinds.

 

He walked to his oldest friend’s desk, finding him drowning in papers. He smiled and put a hot cup of coffee on his desk, making him jump.

 

“One cup of black coffee.” He said with an amused expression on his face as he sat on a chair in front of his friend. “You know for a detective you don’t seem to be very aware of your surroundings.”

 

His friend slumped onto his chair, heaving a deep sigh.

 

“Thanks for the coffee.” Jinki said, taking a gulp of the still hot cup.

 

He jumped when the hot liquid burned his tongue and hurriedly grabbed a glass of water resting on his desk.

 

Minho couldn’t help but laugh at his hyung’s clumsiness. He had always been like this, and Minho sometimes wondered how he had managed to become detective.

 

They had known each other since they were kids, and both of them had longed to work in the police force. Even though they were incredibly different - Minho excelled in every physical activity whereas Jinki was the clumsiest human being on earth - they both managed to join the police. They had different ranks though. Jinki’s wits and intelligence had propelled him to the rank of detective, whereas Minho stayed a police officer. He wasn’t bitter about it at all - as some people may think - he was actually genuinely happy for his friend. Jinki was very smart and he deserved to be acknowledged.

 

“This is so not my day.”

 

“Trouble with a case ?” Minho asked, glancing at the papers.

 

“Among other things.” Jinki said, sighing. “I woke up late, burned my favorite shirt when I attempted to iron it, spent twenty minutes trying to find my car keys only to realize that they were in my hand.”

 

Minho burst into laughter. This was so Jinki.

 

“This is not funny.”

 

“Ah, come on hyung, you have to admit that it’s funny.” Minho said, wiping the tear running down his cheek. “Anyway, isn’t that a perfectly normal day in the life of Lee Jinki ?”

 

His friend’s clumsiness was legendary, after all.

 

“I’m always clumsy about everything though… Why can’t I have one day ? One day of me living a normal life without burning something or tripping for no reason...”

 

“You wouldn’t be you if you stopped falling over nothing. Besides, you’re not clumsy for everything.” Jinki looked up and Minho smiled. “You’re the smartest guy I know. Never left a case unsolved.”

 

Jinki smiled his usual eye-smile.

 

“You’re always here to cheer me up, aren’t you ?”

 

“Always.” Minho replied, smiling. “What would you do without me ?”

 

Minho had been the one to convince him to take the entrance exam for the police forces. Jinki had been too worried and his low self-esteem at the time had been holding him back from doing what he really wanted to do, but Minho had always been there to support him, to tell him that everything would go well… and he had been right. Jinki had passed the exam with flying colours and had entered the police just as he had dreamed he would.

 

“I’d still be moping in my bedroom if it wasn’t for you.” Jinki said, looking at the nothingness as the memories came back to him. “I owe you a lot.”

 

“You owe me nothing.” Minho replied. “You helped me as much as I helped you. Remember when I announced to my parents that I was gay ? I went through hell that day but… you were here, you know, supporting me.”

 

Minho had never been close to his parents, they were very religious and had an old-fashioned way of thinking. For them, a boy should marry a girl and have children, be interested in sports and other manly activities. Needless to say, they didn’t take the news of Minho’s homouality very well. He had taken refuge at Jinki’s house then, his friend’s parents always more understanding and compassionate than his own, they had taken him in for a while. He had felt like at the time, always wondering if he had done the right thing, if he should have kept it for himself instead of spilling everything to his parents… but Jinki had been there, and his moral support had helped Minho so much.

 

“And I always will.” Jinki said with a smile.

 

Some other cops and Jinki’s partner arrived and Minho looked at the huge clock hanging on the wall. It was already seven.

 

“I guess it’s time to work.” Minho said with a sigh. “I’ll leave you to your papers.”

 

“Yeah, good luck on your patrol.”

 

Minho smiled, patting Jinki’s shoulder before leaving the building to get to his car.