Ch.4 My New School and Myungsoo

Mr. Kim

I checked my phone and saw I was starting to run late for school, of course, I would be late on my first day. I grabbed my backpack and ran out the door towards the bus station. By the time I was on the bus I saw I was still wearing my slippers.

"," I muttered to myself, I couldn't go back and change my shoes now. Already embarrassed and not even at school yet I dug my face into my backpack and waited until I reached my stop. The bus slowly got more and more packed with high schoolers and office workers, and I found myself cramped in the window seat. When it finally got to my stop I barely managed to get off the bus. I ran towards the building and headed to the main office.

"Hi, I'm Han Byul I'm a new student here," I said shyly to the man sitting at the desk, he glared and then typed on his computer and soon the printer next to him went off.

"This is your schedule," he said holding the paper up, "I'll get someone to you to your homeroom." He got and disappeared and I was left with my schedule. I inspected the office and the school didn't seem too bad for having such a low tuition. Sure many things were old and could be updated, but it still seemed fine.

Moments later the man came back with a boy who seemed about five centimeters taller than me and had short hair that was bleached blonde, his shirt was untucked, jacket ed, and tie hung loosely around his neck. At my old school, you would never see such a thing if your skirt was shorter than you fingertips you were suspended, if your hair was lighter than coffee you were suspended, if your uniform looked anywhere close to what this guy's looked like then you were suspended.

"He will take you to your homeroom," the man said and went back to his desk.

Despite the boy's first intimidating stare, he gave a bright smile and stuck his hand out signaling that I should shake it. Just as I put mine out in one smooth motion he hit the back of my hand, then the palm and pointed at my face with his index finger and thumb sticking out.

"Name," he said.

"Han Byul," I gulped.

He started walking and I was stuck in the office in awe when he noticed I wasn't walking turned his head back and motioned for me to follow to him and started walking again.

"I'm Lee Byunghun," he said as soon as I caught up to him. "What brings you to this school so late into senior year?"

"Just some issues with my old school."

"Oh, you got kicked out for fighting. Are you in a gang or something?"

"What? No!"

"Then what?"

"There was just an issue so I had to leave."

"Did you sleep with a teacher?"

"No!"

"You did, you fight people and sleep with teachers. I see who you are now."

I groaned in annoyance and followed him to class. His bad boy exterior did not match his true personality. I was genuinely concerned about adjusting here, but I decided that laying low for the rest of the year wouldn't be difficult. 

"I guess I should tell you now that I am the class president," Byunghun said once we made it to the classroom. 

"Hah, funny," I said and rolled my eyes, but then he pointed to the board and there on the side it clearly said that this fool standing next to me was indeed the class president. 

"As President, I have also picked your seat, you see there were a couple options of where you should sit and I thought, why not right next to me. Well, not exactly . I am next to you, but I'm not your seatmate. Actually, you don't even have one because we had an even amount of people in this class before you came."

"Exciting," I replied.

He showed me where my desk was and I was in the last column next to the windows in the last row of desks. I was secretly happy that I had this seat because it would make it easier for me to stay unnoticed. Soon more and more students came to the classroom and class had started. A familiar looking man had walked in wearing a white apron and the only feeling I had was confusion.

"Hello class. As you know Mr. Do is out for the rest of the year because of his back surgery and your student teacher Mr. Kim is in charge. Mr. Kim is a few minutes late so I'm going to take over homeroom until he arrives. Since I'm here there won't be any fresh buns available after homeroom today."

"Who is this guy?" I leaned over to ask Byunghun.

"That's Dongwoo, he's the lunch lady."

I nodded at his reply and Dongwoo started attendance. Once it was over he sat at the desk waiting for Mr. Kim to arrive while everyone else conversed with their friends. I looked around and it seemed everyone was friends with each other, cliques were nonexistent in this class it seemed. I put my head down to catch a few extra minutes of sleep and after several minutes it sounded like the teacher had arrived.

"I'm sorry for being late to class, thank you Dongwoo for taking over," the student teacher's voice said.

I dared not to bring my head up after I heard his voice. It sounded too familiar.

"Good morning class. I was notified that we have a new student today, Han Byul. Byul where are you?"

"Here," I said keeping my head down and putting my hand up."

"Alright, would you like to stand up and introduce yourself?"

"No thank you."

"That's fine if you don't want to. There are only about five minutes left of homeroom so feel free to talk amongst yourselves and I will see you all at the end of the day for literature."

After he was done talking I slowly brought my head up slightly and looked to see if it really was him. As soon as I caught a glimpse he looked in my direction and I brought my head down right away. It was him, and his friend Dongwoo who I met at his birthday party was a lunch lady.