Ch.3 Being a Byul Star

Mr. Kim

I ended up walking to the restaurant and found myself standing in front looking through the window. There he was. He was laughing with a large group of people that looked to be around his age and I felt so intimidated that I didn't even want to walk in. How could a high schooler possibly fit in with university students? I just gave one last look and sighed as I turned around to walk away. I could just dissapear for another hour or two so Hyojoo would think that I went. Just as I started to take a couple of steps I heard his voice call my name. I whipped my head around he was standing there couple of meters behind me.

"I thought I saw you, how come you aren't coming in?" He asked walking towards me.

"Oh, I wasn't feeling well so I was just going to head home," I lied.

"Oh, well just stop in for a second, we're about to have cake and open presents."

"I guess..."

I shyly followed him back to the restaurant where I was introduced to his friends, but I was so overwhelmed and nervous that I couldn't remember their names.

"You can sit next to me," He happily said and I awkwardly sat between him and one of his friends that I had met.

I felt so awkward sitting there clutching my present for him, but I didn't know what to do. Everyone else was so relaxed drinking and laughing that I just had to sit there quietly.

"Hey, Myungsoo-yah, I'm going to bring out the cake so we can do that and then start opening presents," his friend that I was sitting next to said then got up to leave.

So that's what his name is, Myungsoo. His name is Myungsoo. After not knowing his name for god knows how long, I finally learn it from hearing one of his friends say it.

"Is there anything you want to drink or eat? We have lots of food and drinks," Myungsoo said turning to face me.

"No thanks, I'm fine," I quietly said.

Soon the cake came out and everyone started singing Happy Birthday. I looked at his face and he had the biggest smile on his face, he faced me and I realized that I wasn't singing. I joined in and Myungsoo put his arm around me making every inch of my body feel like it would melt at that moment. Once they finished singing Myungsoo cut the cake and everyone got a slice and we began to open presents. As we started to open them I felt more and more selfconcious about mine. It seemed so stupid and childish compared to everyone else's. I just wanted to leave, so that's what I did. Myungsoo went to the bathroom and that was my moment. I left my present on my seat and dashed out of there.

 

"Han Byul!" My teacher shouted and I whipped my head up, I looked around and everyone was laughing at me. I fell asleep during class again. "This is the third class today you've fallen asleep in. Go to the office for the rest of the class and we can talk about your punishment there after class." I sighed and grabbed my things to leave.

I tiredly walked down the hall to the office and sadly took a seat in front of the main desk.

"Han Byul, you're here. Mr. Gong was just going to leave to get you from class. I'll let him know you're here," the secretary said. Great, now the guidance counselor wanted to see me too, and I knew exactly what about.

I was ushered to his office and Mr. Gong gave that same nerdy smile he gives to everyone else.

"Hello Mr. Ging," I said as I sat down.

"Hello Byul, now I know that there are some problems at home. How is everything?" Before I could even answer he brought the one topic I had dreaded, "You know you haven't paid tuition for the spring quarter and it was due last month."

"I know, but I really can't pay it off right now."

"I understand, but we can't do anything about it. There is an alternative choice though." He turned his computer moniter to face me and there it was, the homepage of a new school. "It's called Rainbow school and they're much cheaper than here. They're willing to take you in. You can finish the rest of the school year there." 

There it was. It's only Monday and I just got kicked out of my school and was being sent to a new for the my last two terms of high school.

 

Going to work felt like a relief from life today, I was going to a new school tomorrow, but I could really care less since college was out of reach for me. To make my day better, work was slow and I didn't have to deal with large masses of adults coming in after their work day was over. It was finally 6 o'clock and Myungsoo walked in. I felt too embarassed to see him. He would ask me about my day and I didn't want to tell him I got kicked out of school nor did I even want to face him after he opened my present. I should've just taken the damn thing with me.

"Byul, Hey!" Myungsoo smiled as soon as he came in.

"The usual?" I asked and he nodded.

"So how was your day?"

"Fine, yours?"

"Pretty easy. I was pretty suprised to see you left my party so early."

"Oh, yeah. I just wasn't feeling well so I went home."

"Ah I see. You feeling better today?"

"Debateable."

"Well I liked your present, I thought it was special."

Myungsoo turned around to go to his table and on his backpack was the Molang pin that I would normally wear.