Ch.1 Invitation

Mr. Kim

"Byul you're here. We were starting to think you'd never get here."

"There was a lot of traffic because of the rain so it was a bit hard to ride my bike."

"That's fine, as long as you're safe. Just go dry off and change into your uniform, I'll let Yoonsoo know you're here so he can leave."

I nodded and put my bike next to the back door inside to keep it from getting wet and rusting. I went to the bathroom and to the best of my ability, tried to dry off and change into my uniform. After admitting defeat I walked out of the back to the front of the cafe to start working.

"Hey, Byul Star!" Hyojoo said while I walked out to stand at the cash register.

"I don't know why you call me that, it's like calling me Star Star or Byul Byul. It sounds so stupid," I told her. Hyojoo was a sophomore in college and is also my roommate, well soon to be former roommate.

"I like it," she sang as she worked on an order and left to serve it. "Oh yeah Byul Star, I just got a call from my new landlord that I can move into my new apartment on Sunday, is that okay?" she said returning to the counter.

"You're so messy so of course I'm happy your leaving earlier. Our apartment is so small too, I'll have so much more space without you," Byul teased.

"Hey, you're still a kid, I just want to make sure you'll be fine with me leaving a week earlier than I'm supposed to. I won't be there anymore to wake you up when you're running late for school or to pack your lunch."

"Alright Eonnie, I'll miss you. Are you happy now?" I laughed. There were only two customers in the cafe and neither of them were him.

"Yes, but I'm sad to be leaving my Byul Star," Hyojoo frowned.

"But you'll be living with your Sung Star," I said, Hyojoo was moving out to live with her boyfriend Sungyeol who she'd been dating since she was in high school.

"I'm so excited!" she squealed like a little kid going to Disney World for the first time.

I rolled my eyes and glanced at the clock, it was still 10 minutes until six and 2 hours and ten minutes until closing.

"Are you waiting for L to come?" Hyojoo teased. L was his nickname because we didn't know his real name and he reminded us of L from Deathnote. "My Byul Star's first love."

I gave her a slight punch and rested my elbows on the counter, my shift had started five minutes ago but yet I was geting so impatient waiting for him. The bell on the door rang as someone walked in and my head whipped up to see who it was, but it was sadly just an average customer.

"Welcome," I said as they came to the counter. In the middle of taking their order someone stepped in line behind them and it was him. He was looking at the menu which was useless because I already knew what he'd order. I finished the customer before him and Hyojoo worked their order.

"Hello," he said giving me a big smile, "I'll-"

"Do you want your regular?" I asked giving him a slight smile.

"Byul, you know me so well," he laughed as he took his wallet out of his pocket. "How was your day?" he asked handing me a 50,000 bill so I'd take longer to get the change.

"Eh, same old same old. Classes were boring and hard like always. I have to do a group project and I have the worse group possible."

"Ah, those are are painful."

"Tell me about it, how was your day?"

"Hard like yours, classes were difficult mostly because this one kid kept causing problems so I couldn't focus on work."

"Is that kid who keeps, quote on quote, bullying you?"

"Maybe..."

"Just beat him up," I laughed and finally handed him his change back, "I'll send your order to you," I said as he walked to his usual table next to the bookshelf.

"Byul Star, are you going to make his order?" Hyojoo asked after she returned from delivering the order from the previous customer.

"Yeah, you take over if anyone else comes in."

I made his iced Americano and warmed up his chocolate chip muffin and put it on a plate for him. She took his order and walked to his usual table where he already set up his computer and papers.

"Being a university student must be so hard, I wonder if he's going to be a doctor or lawyer," Byul wondered noticing how everytime he came here he always had so many papers with him that he was reading through and scribbling on.

"Enjoy your food," I said as I put the tray next to him on the table.

"I will because you made it," he smiled back and continued to work.

My shift continued until closing at 8 and he kept working knowing that I'd let him stay until I was done with closing. Hyojoo and the manager left at 7 knowing that no one comes in at the last hour.

"Closing already?" he asked as I sat down next to him.

"Yeah," I sighed feeling completely drained. It wasn't much work actually, but I was just drained from having to work alone.

"Are you done cleaning up?" he asked as we both stood up.

"Yeah, I'm just going to grab my things from the back and change so we can walk out."

He nodded and walked out the front door while I turned off the lights and dissapeared to the back and grabbed my backpack and bike. I changed as quickly as possible into a crewneck and jeans met him out front and we started walking together in the same direction.

"Have any plans for tonight? It's the weekend now?" he asked.

"No, I think I'm just going to do some homework when I get home and sleep. What about you?"

"I think I'm going to do the same, but tomorrow my friends are throwing me a birthday party, you should come."

"Really?"

"Yeah, it's going to be at XX Restaurant, we're just going to be eating, drinking, having fun. It starts at 9."

"I'll come if I can."

A smile was plastered on my face and I couldn't get rid of it. Of course I would go. I had been waiting for something like this ever since he first came into the cafe.