Pregnancy Blues

Fated Bonus Chapters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everyone’s feeling ecstatic the moment they knew about the pregnancy. The couple decided to wait a few days before telling their parents about it since they want a few quiet days in which they could keep and enjoy this wonderful news for themselves. They knew that the moment everyone finds out about it, they wouldn’t leave them alone and they were right.

They decided to tell Joong Ki’s parents about it during their family dinner. Mrs. Song has been offering baked oysters to Hye Kyo, tonight’s dinner’s specialty, but the latter continues to refuse, giving the oysters a disgusted look.

“What’s wrong dear?  Don’t you like oysters? They’re good, you should really try it” Mrs. Song says, taking the seat right next to ex-President Song.

“No, thank you, Eommoni. I’m fine with this,” she says, gesturing to the little serving of food on her plate, which are mostly vegetables and fruits.

“You’re not eating well, are you okay?” Mrs. Song asks, concerned.

“I’m okay, Eommoni. I’m just a bit picky on food these days and have been preferring small yet frequent meals,” she answers as Joong Ki holds her hand under the table and she gives him a grateful smile.

“Are you unwell? You do seem a bit weak. Joong Ki, are you not taking care of your wife well?” his father asks.

“Joong Ki is taking really good care of me, actually, Abeoji,” Hye Kyo answers on his behalf. “It’s just that I need to take extra care of the food that I eat now,” she vaguely answers.

“Why? What’s happening? Is something wrong?” In Sung starts to ask but Joong Ki waved him off. Everyone stops eating by then and turns to look at the couple who has grown silent at their side of the table.

“Joong Ki, what’s happening? Tell us… What…” his father starts to ask again and Joong Ki shares a meaningful look with his wife first before beaming at his parents.

“Well, it’s just... Appa, Eomma, you are going to be grandparents,” he says, dropping the bomb. “Hye Kyo’s pregnant,” he proudly announces and everyone stands from their seats in joy and starts to congratulate them.

“Finally, another addition to our family,” Mrs. Song says as she dabbed her tears away with her hankie while In Sung and Hye Jin’s son, Seo Jun keeps asking why everyone is getting noisy. His mother finally answers him and he, too, shouted in joy upon hearing that he’s going to have a cousin to play with.

“I’m going to have a cousin? A playmate?” he innocently asks and Hye Kyo smiled sweetly at him.

“Yes, little Seo Jun, you’re going to have a cousin,” she answers as Joong Ki happily puts an arm around her shoulders and kisses her on the temple. 

 

On the other hand, since Chairman Song is away on a trip, they decided give him a call to tell him the news.

“I’m coming home! I’m booking a flight now,” he says the moment Hye Kyo tells him about it. H’s overjoyed upon hearing that he is finally going to be a grandfather that he keeps saying that he’s coming home immediately despite him being away on a trip in Australia. Hye Kyo even suspects that he’s tearing up a bit, judging on the change of his voice.

“You don’t have to. It’s still too early. Just enjoy your vacation, there, Appa,” she tries to change his mind to no avail.

“How can I stand being oceans away when I just found out that I’m going to be a grandpa? I’ll just finish taking care of some things here first then I’ll be there,” he firmly answers.

“But Appa, I’m not even showing yet!” she whines and Joong Ki laughs softly beside her as they sit on the bed, his arms draped around her still slim waist. He knows that Hye Kyo trying to stop her father from coming home immediately when he finds out that his only daughter is pregnant is a hopeless case. He hears Chairman Song say something to her on the phone, a protest of some sort, before Hye Kyo says her goodbye, finally giving up.

“Aish, so stubborn!” she says, playing the phone top of the bedside table.

Just like you, Joong Ki wants to comment, but decides against it. Hye Kyo has been really moody these days and he doesn’t want to receive her wrath. So, instead, he just laughs softly and pulls her into his arms. She leans against him, wraps her arms around his waist and leans her head on his chest, hearing his heart beat against it. She sighs in content.

“I’m already betting our baby will be one spoiled kid. Everybody already loves him and he’s not even born,” he says.

“He? Are you saying that you want a son?” Hye Kyo asks him.

“Son, daughter. It doesn’t really matter. I just want our baby to be healthy and happy,” he says, kissing the top of her head and she smiles.

“I don’t think spoiled is the right term, though. It’s more like ‘loved’ and ‘pampered,’” she says and Joong Ki smiles.

“Whatever you say, mommy,” he says and hugs her tighter.

“Jagiya, I’m tired,” she says as she burrows her face deeper in his chest.

“Then, let’s sleep,” he says as he adjusts their position, turns off the lights, and falls into a peaceful sleep with his wife in his arms.

---

 

As for friends, they decided to tell them on one of their joint gatherings at TMI. Like their family, they, too, are excited at the prospect of a baby especially Ah In and Lee Jin, who insist that the baby should have good looking godparents aka them. Kwang Soo isn’t there yet, though, since he went to see Hyun Kyoung first before she leaves for the airport, but they’re pretty sure that if he hears what the two have just said, he’d insist that if looks were the basis of being chosen as a godparent, then he’d be the first one on the list. Of course, everyone would then roll their eyes at him and he’d receive a smack on the head or two from his friends.

“So, how does it feel like being pregnant? Do you feel any changes? Do you feel it moving?” Jiwon asks curiously.

“She’s 8 weeks pregnant, not 8 months, Jiwon,” Il Jung says from across the table and Jiwon glares at him.

“I was just asking. I’ve read that you experience a lot of difficulties on the first months of being pregnant,” she retorts and leans back on her chair as Jingoo drapes his arm over her shoulders. Hye Kyo just laughs softly as their banter.

“Well, I can’t feel the fetus moving yet. But there are a few changes,” Hye Kyo starts to answer. “I’ve become more sensitive these days. Almost everything makes me want to throw up,” she says and Joong Ki squeezes her hand gently.

“Really? Now I don’t want to be pregnant,” Jiwon starts to say but Jingoo scowls.

“Babe, don’t say that,” he protests. “I want little Jingoos and Jiwons running around our house in the future.”

“Then you better ask her to marry you first,” Chulhwa says and everybody laughs upon seeing the blood drain from Jingoo’s face.

“Anyway, nothing too major. Joong Ki here has been really patient,” she says as she smiles at him.

And it’s true, a few days after finding out that his wife is pregnant, he started doing some research and bought a lot of books about pregnancy, babies and anything related to them, which Hye Kyo finds both over-the-top and adorable. He’s so invested in this that he reads dutifully almost every night.

Joong Ki has also become more attentive to his wife’s needs as well as gotten even more protective of her. For example, he suggested that she stop working for a while, which Hye Kyo found absurd. She was not an invalid and she’d just get bored staying at home. So, in the end, they decided that she will only take a leave off of work when she’s about 7-8 months pregnant.

He also pays more attention to what she eats and what she does, which makes Hye Kyo roll her eyes at him again and again. He has made it his duty to make sure that she eats healthy and never skips a meal. He has also become her instant bodyguard, holding her hand to assist her even when taking the stairs and not letting her drive. He’s treating her like she’s fragile, which annoys her, but which she also finds sweet at the same time.

With her feeling unwell frequently these days, he tries his best to stay by her side as much as he can. He feels bad whenever she rushes to the bathroom to throw up, thinking that he caused her this. He would then follow her there and Hye Kyo would always tell him to leave her since it’s gross seeing her like that and that she could manage, but of course, he wouldn’t listen. Instead, he’d hold her hair for her and rub soothing circles on her back until she finishes throwing up her breakfast and feels better. He would then grab her a glass of water and prepare something light for her. Eventually, she gave up protesting and let him take care of her.

“Yooo! Everyone, I’m here,” Kwang Soo announces the moment he enters the restaurant. “Where’s the pregnant Hye Kyo and my godchild?” he asks, approaching them as everyone turns to watch his grand entrance.

“Oh, there you guys are,” he coolly says as he spots Joong Ki and Hye Kyo and laughs excitedly as he approaches them. He’s almost a few steps near them when Hye Kyo crinkles her nose and looks disgusted.

“Eew! What’s that smell?” Hye Kyo asks, covering her nose and Joong Ki turns to look at her. Her sense of smell has become really heightened these days and she has become sensitive to certain scents. He remembers that one time when she forbade him to kiss her and even to come near her since she didn’t like the smell of his aftershave. Even after he has showered twice to get rid of the scent, she still did not allow him to sleep on their bed, which annoyed him at first. But then he realized that he can never win against his wife especially now that she’s pregnant, he sulkily went to the living room and slept on the couch.

He was already asleep when he was awoken by the feeling of someone starting to lie beside him. He slowly opened his eyes only to feel Hye Kyo snuggling close to him, hugging him from the back. He then smiled as she buried her nose on his nape while hugging him tighter.

“The bed was too lonely without you in it,” she softly said and upon hearing that, he, ever so slowly, moved to turn towards her. But since the couch was small for the two of them, she momentarily broke her hug and got up to allow him to move.

She watched as he scooted over to create some space while extending his arm. With his mouth slightly open and his eyes still closed, he then sleepily patted the space he created, seeming to motion her to lie next to it. With a small smile on her face, she obeyed, and lay down beside him, using his arm as a pillow. He wrapped his other arm around her as she moved closer to him, closing what little distance there was left between them.

“I’m sorry,” she said against his chest, his heart beating steadily. But instead of answering, he only pulled her closer to him and kissed the top of her head, seeming to tell her that she’s forgiven. Enveloped in each other’s arms, they both then drifted off to sleep.

---

“What smell?” Joong Ki asks, worried that the scent might turn her stomach and that she’d throw up again. Though he knows that it’s normal for pregnant women, her being nauseous every morning really worries him. He’s concerned that she might lose some weight and might develop health problems because of that.

“Yeah, what smell? I don’t smell anything,” Lee Jin says.

“That smell. That strong, strange, pungent smell. It wasn’t here before,” she says and everyone turns to look at Kwang Soo who is now scowling.

“This is Brut cologne you’re talking about, lady. It’s designed to make men seem taller, more muscular, ually attractive,” Kwang Soo says in defense.

“It smells bad,” she complains while still covering her nose, trying to block the smell.

“This is a first class perfume you’re mocking,” he argues. “You must’ve mistaken. Here, smell it,” he says, moving towards her, trying to prove her wrong.

“But still, it smells bad. Make it go away. Joong Ki!” she turns to her husband. The scent is getting stronger, it’s irritating.

“Ya! It doesn’t smell bad. Oh my goodness, do you know how many women gravitated towards me because of this?” he confidently says and Joong Ki gives him a warning glare.

“Kwang Soo…” he says.

“Unbelievable. Didn’t you know that this is like a magic charm for girls?” Kwang Soo is still protesting when Bo Gum and Chulhwa stand and grab him by the arm. The scene looks too funny that everyone in the table laughs.

“You’re insulting the makers of this wonderful creation made for men, you’re…” he protests as Bo Gum and Chulhwa drag him to the restroom, while others were left laughing at the hilarious scene.

A few minutes later, they return to the table laughing while Kwang Soo, who is now ‘cologne free.’ frowns sulkily and takes at the far end of the table, away from Hye Kyo.

---

Joong Ki watches his wife as she keeps going around their room, checking her bag and making sure that she doesn’t leave anything behind.

At 13 weeks, Hye Kyo is starting to sport a little baby bump, not that it’s obvious. But when she wears fitting clothes, it’s a bit visible. To some who are unknowing, however, it would only seem like she just had a full meal.

He likes it, though. He finds it y and constantly finds subtle ways to touch it. He likes that their little bundle of joy is starting to grow inside her as it just means that everything is real. For weeks he kept asking her to pinch him since everything’s too good to be true. It still feels like a dream being married to the woman he loves dearly and now getting to see her bear the fruit of that love.

Hye Kyo starts to feel conscious that she’s being watched. She looks up from her bag only to find Joong Ki observing her every move from the other side of the room. He’s still watching her when she places her bag gently on the table and curiously asks him, “What?”

“You’re y,” he says, smiling at her.

“Me? y? Don’t you see this?” she asks, gesturing to her baby bump.

“I see it very clearly,” he says matter-of-factly.

“And still you find me y?”

“Very. It makes you even more charming,” he simply says and she good naturedly rolls her eyes at him then approaches him. He watches in anticipation as she makes her way towards him.

She stops, first, in front of him then slowly sits sideways on his lap. He carefully wounds his arms around his waist as she wraps hers around his neck.

“You know, you don’t need to flatter me too much. I’m already yours. You don’t need to play me with your words,” she says, staring into his eyes.

“I’m not. I’m telling you the truth. You really are y. Too y, I must say even for someone carrying my child. And beautiful. I’m so lucky,” he says sincerely, closing his eyes then rubs his nose gently against hers, making her heart skip a beat. He still has that effect on her.

She then leans in to hug him.

“I still can’t believe we’re having a baby,” he says against the crook of her neck and she pulls away slightly to look at him.

“Well, you better believe it, baby daddy. He’s coming and we should be prepared,” she says, smiling at him.

“I know, I just can’t believe how blessed I am. We’re having a baby!” he exclaims again, making her laugh.

“Oh yes we are. But we still have a few months to go and by the time he arrives we’ll be very busy,” she says.

“Does that mean you won’t pamper me anymore? That I’m not your ‘baby’ anymore?” he jokingly asks, pouting like a child, which makes her laugh softly.

“Aigoo. I’m just saying that we’re going to have a lot more on our hands, but I won’t stop pampering you,” she smiles at him. “You will always be my baby. My cute, jealous and big baby,” she coos then gives him a peck on the lips, making him smile wide.

---

They’re driving towards the hospital where the clinic of her Obstetrician-gynecologist is located and he sneaks a glance his smiling wife. She’s in a pretty good mood now, he thinks to himself as he smiles as well and continues concentrating on driving. Being pregnant has made her really moody. She would be smiling one minute or laughing her heart out and then she’d be crying the next, which would leave him questioning whatever he said or did wrong.

But then, even when confused of what happened, he would pull her into her arms and try to soothe her the best way that he could. One thing he understands, though, based on his readings, is that a woman becomes really sensitive and may have mood swings when pregnant. That’s why, he tries to lengthen his patience. Men could really learn a lot from reading those pregnancy books, he always thinks to himself.

Right now, she’s feeling so sunny and he’s actually happy that she’s feeling good today as he always makes it his duty to make his wife happy every day.

 

“Joong Ki, let’s drop by that restaurant later. I want to try their teriyaki fish and miso soup. Can we?” she asks as they pass by the one of the city’s newly opened restaurants.

“Sure, yeobo. After the checkup,” he says, glancing at her and she smiles at him gratefully.

Hye Kyo’s food cravings are another one of those pregnancy symptoms that they have to deal with. At first, Joong Ki is too happy to oblige since for the first time in weeks wherein she was too picky and he would constantly worry if she was eating enough, she is asking for food. But then, from time to time, she would request something which, according to the excited father’s research, is considered unhealthy.

One time, she kept craving for chocolate ice cream and wouldn’t stop asking for it until Joong Ki gave in. Joong Ki at first told her that it’s unhealthy for pregnant women to eat food high in sugar and fat and even acted firm on it. But then, she pouted and gave him a puppy look very similar to his and he felt his heart melt. He sighed in defeat before grabbing his cap and wallet to head to the nearest department store while she broke out in a smile.

“You’re lucky I love you,” he said, kissing her on the forehead before heading out to buy his wife’s chocolate ice cream.

“I know,” she answered, grabbing his face to kiss him on the cheek.

However, sometimes, her cravings would get too much and she would crave for something in the most inconvenient of times. One night, he was already asleep, reveling in the fact that it’s Friday and he gets to sleep in and make up for all the sleep he lost that week when Hye Kyo shakes him awake in the middle of the night.

“Jagiya,” she called, shaking him gently, but he’s still asleep.

“Jagiya, wake up,” she tried again and this time he groaned.

“Joong Ki…”

“What is it, yeobo?” he asked, his voice still groggy and his eyes still closed.

“I want Tteokbokki” she said and he just answered with a “hmm” then rolled over to hug her.

“Jagiya, I want Tteokbokki,” she tried again.

“Okay, I’ll buy you some tomorrow,” he mumbled as he snuggled closer to her, then smiled as his face found his favorite spot on her neck.

“No, I want it now,” she said, but she got no response from him.

“Jagiya, I want to eat Tteokbokki now!” she said and he reluctantly opened his eyes a little to glance at the clock.

“Tomorrow, honey. I’ll buy you a lot of Tteokbokkis first thing in the morning. I’m still so tired,” he said as he resumed hugging her, trying to go back to sleep.

“Jagiya…” she started to whine.

“Jagiya, …. Please…” she pleaded.

“But I’m tired, yeobo. I want to sleep,” he said groggily.

“And I want to eat Tteokbokki. Your baby wants to eat Tteokbokki.”

“Tell our baby that daddy’s tired and he’ll buy him lots of it tomorrow morning,” he absentmindedly answered as he’s still too sleepy.

“But Joong Ki…” she started to whine again and he smiled against her neck. His wife can be very persistent and he kn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter