Final

A Midsummer's Disaster
Please log in to read the full chapter

Most of the students either ran away or hid themselves somewhere as soon as ‘he’ stepped inside the school premises. He’s not known as the 'King of bullies' for nothing. Some call him the bully while the others call him a savior since the other bullies are scared of him. However, they are all still scared of him.

 

His name is Son Hyun Woo, better known by his nickname Shownu. “Shownu hyung,” his two sidekicks ran up to him, looking all excited. “Here’s your breakfast, student body president’s sponsor.” They handed him the box as they walked up to their classroom.

 

As soon as he entered the class, he scanned through the room while everyone else got anxious since he would be choosing a random seat he wants to sit on. But the person who will be exchanging the seat with him wouldn’t be in trouble that day. It’s one of the people on the neighboring seats who would become his target for the day.

 

However, that day he decided to take the very last seat by the window and the entire class sighed in relief as the only seat next to him was empty. He took out the breakfast he received and started eating them slowly as he gazed out the window.

 

 

A few minutes later the school bell rang, indicating the start of the first class. As the teacher walked in, the class representative stood up and called out for everyone else to do the same while Shownu got up lazily and sat back down after everyone wished the teacher, before continuing to eat his food.

 

In general, the teachers tend to ignore him and his actions during the lecture hours, unless it was of too much disturbance to their teaching. So even though the teacher noticed him eating, he still didn’t bother to stop him.

 

“Before we start today’s class, there’s a new student from Japan.” He turned towards the door and motioned the newcomer to enter in. A girl walked in shyly, slightly bowing to everyone in the front. “Introduce yourself to the class.” The teacher instructed her as he started writing something on the board.

 

“Good morning everyone, I’m Lee Ji Ae. I have been living in Japan. So my Korean is still not so good. Please take care of me.” She bowed to everyone.

 

“Okay, then,” The teacher scanned the classroom for an empty seat. “You can sit in the last seat, next to Hyun Woo.” He said, pointing to the only empty seat in the classroom.

 

Hearing his name being mentioned, Shownu turned his gaze to the front and saw the girl walking up to him. He looked at her with raised eyebrows while she pulled out the chair next to him and sat down excitedly.

 

“Hi, I’m Lee Ji Ae. And you must be Hyun Woo?” she spoke cheerily while putting out her hand for a handshake. He pushed her hand away with the chopstick he was holding before he continued to eat. “Nice to meet you.” She still smiled at him, before pulling out her books from her bag and started taking notes.

 

He rolled his eyes and started gazing out the window once again. A few minutes later, the teacher announced that he would check the notes by the end of the class and those who haven’t taken any notes would receive some sort of punishment.

 

Shownu let out a sigh and took out his notebook but instead of taking notes, he pushed them over to Ji Ae’s side. “Write my notes as well,” he told her before lying down on the desk and started dozing off.

 

“What?” she looked at him, taken aback.

 

But he was already dozing and she had no choice but to take notes for him as well. When the teacher left the class after checking the notes as he said, Ji Ae turned towards Shownu and asked, “Hyun Woo-sshi, you can’t do this. Why did you ask me to take notes for you?”

 

“Just because,” he smirked at her, before standing up, plugging in his earphones and simply walking out of the classroom.

 

“Yah!” she shouted after him, but he was already out of the classroom.

 

After he and his sidekicks were out of the sight, a few of the class students rushed over to Ji Ae and warned her about Shownu and the consequences of speaking against his words. Though she couldn’t understand why they were all scared of him, she still decided to keep the thoughts to herself as she was a bit reserved in nature and also that it was her first day in the school.

 

 

Shownu kept troubling her with small, small things for the rest of the day and she maintained her composure very well, occasionally voicing out her opposition when the things he did was a little over the line.

 

 

 

 

A month or two passed by in the similar fashion and every day he made sure to kind of bully Ji Ae. The reason being she either did things as told silently or she questioned him to his face on why she had to do it. Her character kind of intrigued him which made him want to know more about her and this made the rest of the class to celebrate as he had stopped targeting others most of the time.

 

“Yah! That’s not how you say it. Didn’t your parents teach you how to speak properly?” he asked her as he flicked her forehead, when she made a mistake in speaking Korean.

 

“Yah Son Hyun Woo! You have no rights to talk about my parents.” She retaliated by smacking the back of her hands on his arms.

 

“What? ‘Yah Son Hyun Woo’? Aish! Still not giving respect. How rude! I’m older than you. Call me Shownu oppa,” he smirked at her.

 

“Oppa?” she looked at him with a confused expression. “But aren’t we in the same class? So why should I call you oppa?” she asked, tilting her head a little to the side.

 

“Because I say so,” he grinned, taunting her more.

 

“But I don’t want to,” she shook her head.

 

“Yah!” he caught hold of her ear. “Call me oppa, now.” He said pulling her ear.

 

“Ouch, that hurts. Yah!”

 

 

The teacher walked in at the moment, so he let go of her and got back to his seat, laughing to himself. The class went on for a while but Shownu kept disturbing her by throwing pieces of handwritten notes at her. Initially she ignored them but the more she ignored them, the more notes were thrown at her.

 

She let out a sigh and finally opened the notes, which pretty much asked her to call him ‘oppa’. She turned in his direction and glared at him while he chuckled tauntingly. As these two were silently bickering, the teacher noticed them both and asked them to get up.

 

“What’s going on back there?” the teacher asked while Shownu looked out the window, ignoring him. “What are those notes?”

 

“Um, nothing sir. It’s nothing.” She quickly hid them all and shook her head, as the teacher walked up to them.

 

He stood in between the both of their benches and asked them to speak up. Since neither of them spoke up, the teacher sighed and said, “Alright then, you both would do the class cleaning after the school ends for the day.” He walked back to the front and proceeded with the class.

 

 

When the school ended for the day, Ji Ae brought the cleaning equipment and started cleaning the class, sulkily. However, Shownu sat down in one corner and started ordering her around.

 

“Yah! Shouldn’t you be cleaning as well?”

 

“Not until you call me oppa,”

 

“I don’t want to!”

 

“Then have fun cleaning alone,” he smirked.

 

Not wanting to waste her time arguing with him, she decided to do the work herself. But as she swept the dust from one part to the other, Shownu kept throwing some or the other paper here and there. “Ji Ae-ya, you didn’t clean here properly.” And when she did, “Here as well,” he would point to another spot.

 

 

After a certain time, Ji Ae threw the broomstick to the ground angrily, having enough with his play. “Yah! If you are not going to help me in cleaning, then you better get out of here. Don’t disturb me and just go home!” she huffed.

 

“Should I?” he looked around. “Okay then,” he packed his bag but before going out of the class, he messed up the almost clean classroom. “Have fun cleaning!” he smiled at her too sweetly, before littering the room a little more and walked away.

 

“Yah! Yah! Son Hyun WOO!” she shouted after him but he was already out of hearing range. “Aish!” she stomped on the ground and started cleaning the classroom once again.

 

By the time she finished cleaning the room, it has already become quite dark. She let out a sigh, took her bag and walked towards her house. The more she got closer to her house, the more scared she was of the dark as her house was in the darkest of the dark lanes.

 

She kept glancing around as she was wary of her environment. She felt like someone was following her, so she quickened her pace and as soon as she reached her house, she ran inside, before locking the door behind her.

 

However a figure in the dark, not too far away from her house, sighed in relief before going back on his way, with a smile on his face. Shownu had followed her all the way to her house to make sure of her safety as it has already been dark when she was finished with the cleaning.

 

 

As soon as he reached his home, his dog rushed over to him and jumped on him excitedly. “Iseul-ah, missed me? Appa, missed you too.” He ruffled the dog’s head before heading over to the kitchen and giving it something to eat. “I will go take a shower and come.”

 

After taking a shower, he fixed himself some dinner and sat down on the couch as he watched TV, then he took out his phone and sent a text to someone. When he saw the message was read by the receiver, he smiled widely at the phone screen, looking like a fool.

 

 

 

Just when Ji Ae has almost fallen asleep, her phone rang, notifying her of the newly received message. She groaned as she opened it and read them, half sleepily. The message was sent by Shownu and it read, ‘You’re in charge of my breakfasts from now on.’

 

She yawned as she lazily typed, ‘Okay. But how did you get my number?’ she let out another yawn and pressed send without even realizing what she was exactly agreeing on.

 

‘Does it matter? Don’t forget to bring my breakfast well on time. And remember, it should not be bought from outside. See you tomorrow.’ He replied before going off to sleep, with a satisfied smile.

 

 

 

It was the next morning when Ji Ae reread her message did she realize what she has done replying the text in her sleep. She highly regretted it but she was left with no other choice. So she quickly fixed breakfast for herself and an extra portion for Shownu.

 

She packed her bag and started running towards school as it was nearing the time Shownu has asked her to get to school. She stopped in front of his desk, breathing heavily as she handed over the breakfast to him.

 

“You are 30 seconds late.” He said, looking at his watch. “As a penalty, get me a drink from the cafeteria in 2 minutes.”

 

“What? Yah! Aren’t you being too much? Why should I do it?” she huffed and crossed her arms against her chest.

 

“90 seconds left,” he said, as he stuffed his mouth.

 

But soon he started hiccupping a little which made her let out a sigh. “Fine, I will get it. But it’s too short of a time. Don’t you know how far the cafeteria is from our class? I’m not Usain Bolt and I doubt even he can finish the task in such short time.” She said but he looked like he wasn’t listening. “Yah!” she shouted while he chuckled, still hiccupping.

 

“Okay, I will be kind enough and give you 5 minutes. But you’ve already wasted 2 minutes out of it. So you just have 3 more minutes. Now run!” he smirked.

 

“Yah!” She glared at him.

 

“You’re wasting your time,” he coolly replied as he pointed at his watch.

 

“Aish!” she yelled and took off in the direction of the cafeteria.

 

She came back a few minutes later and this time, he sent her back to exchange it with another flavor and he kept sending her back and forth with some or the other reasons.

 

 

Finally, after a few more rounds, she has had enough. So instead of going back to get what he wanted, she placed the drink on his table and flopped down on her seat.

 

“Aren’t you going?” he asked her, raising his eyebrows.

 

“Go and exchange it yourself if you want. I’m not going there anymore.” She said, as she took out her share of breakfast from her bag.

 

But before she could eat from them, he grabbed hold of her hand which was holding the chopstick and took the food into his mouth, before grabbing the entire box.

 

“Yah!” she shouted at him, when the school bell rang. “Aish! I couldn’t even have my breakfast because of you.” She mumbled as she started picking out the books from her bag.

 

“What did you say? Dare to say it in front of my face?” he taunted her.

 

“Why can’t –” but before she could finish the sentence, he stuffed with the food.

 

“You look so cute,” he said, chuckling hard while pushing some more food into , forcefully. “Now there, you ate your breakfast. So stop blaming the innocent soul.” He smiled at her innocently, taunting her even more.

 

For the first time ever, she felt the strong urge to punch his face that she had hard time keeping her hand in control. Before she lost her control, the teacher walked in and she got diverted.

 

 

 

 

Since then, she had been bringing Shownu breakfast on every day basis and of course, got taunted by him with too many complaints from him, ranging from picking on her cooking skills to her packing skills and what nots.

 

He even got them both into detention on regular basis and most of the time, it was just her doing the work while he ordered her around. She didn’t mind doing the work but what bothered her more is his bossing, when clearly he was supposed to work as well.

 

But come what may, he made sure that she reached her house safely, especially if she finishes the detention work very late in the evening. He has slowly started to harbor feelings for her which other people in the school started to take notice of, quite quickly.

 

 

 

 

Shownu has managed to get Ji Ae and him into detention that day too. However, when it was time for them to carry on with their detention work, he had some other important work to do.

 

So after ordering her around about how the work should be done, he left the school. Ji Ae was a bit relieved to be left alone since she thought that she could finish the work early and get back home.

 

However, they were given the work to clean the school ground. So doing it alone took her longer than she had anticipated. She finished them, hours later and let out a sigh after she placed all the cleaning equipment back in the closet.

 

She walked back to her class, grabbed her bag and walked out of the classroom. But someone grabbed hold of her hand and dragged her into the dark corner.

 

At first she thought it was Shownu who was playing with her but as she observed the guy’s back as he dragged her away, she knew it wasn’t Shownu and she started getting worried.

 

He pushed her against the wall and smirked at her. Even though the guy was standing in front of her, she couldn’t see his face clearly as they both were in the dark and he had a mask on. “Who are you? And what do you want?” she asked him, mustering up her courage.

 

But without answering her question, the guy leaned in closer and pressed his lips on hers after pushing his mask down a little. Ji Ae’s eyes widened and she pushed the guy away from her. “What the hell are you doing?” she raised her hand to slap the guy but he caught hold of her wrist.

 

He pushed it behind her back and pressed her body against the wall, trapping her hand in between her back and the wall. He ed some of her shirt buttons and gently ran his fingers along her exposed skin.

 

She tried pushing him away but he was too strong for her that her attempts had no impact on him. She started pleading him to let go of her while her eyes pooled up.

 

“What did I do? Why are you doing this to me?” she shouted, shivering under his touches.

 

“What do you think?” he whispered against her ears. “Shownu hyung told me to do so.” Her eyes widened hearing it. “I will see you around.” He kissed her for one last time before quickly walking away.

 

She slid to the ground and started breaking down into tears while clutching onto her legs. She couldn’t believe what she heard. The Shownu she knows wouldn’t do anything like that. But does she know the real him?

 

After she kind of fixed her emotional turmoil a few minutes later, she stood up, fixed her dress and slowly walked back home, all the while thinking about what her assailant said.

 

She still couldn’t wrap her head around the fact that Shownu would have done such a thing. She knew he enjoyed playing fun on others but most of the times it was just harmless bullying. She stayed up the entire night thinking of a lot of things.

 

 

 

The next day, she purposely got late to the school and sat down on her seat, ignoring what Shownu was shouting at her. After taking a breather, she grabbed his portion of breakfast and placed them on top of his desk, without looking at him even once.

 

“Yah! Did you cook this in your sleep? It’s so tasteless.” Shownu complained as usual.

 

“Eat it if you want, else throw it. I don’t care.” She said to him and continued with what she was doing.

 

Shownu was taken aback with her outburst. She has never spoken back at him like that how much ever he had before. So he wondered why the sudden change but he decided to let her be for the time being.

 

 

When he entered the class after the lunch break got over, he walked up to her and pinched her hips as usual. Her general reaction would have been, taking a little jump, startled before yelling at him for taunting her by touching her sensitive spot.

 

However, this time it was totally different. Instead of scolding him, she let out a loud shriek and scooted away from him with a scared look. He looked around and noticed that the entire class was staring in his direction with a questioning look.

 

“Ji Ae-ah?” he called out to her but she still possessed a fearful look.

 

He kept troubling her to find out what had happened and eventually ended up with detention. This carried on for a few more days and things between the both of them turned bad. Even though she brought him food every day, she hardly spoke to him.

 

 

 

After a few days of not bothering her, Shownu started getting bored. So he started troubling the others instead, just for fun. However, he still managed to get himself into

Please log in to read the full chapter