What about us?

Between Friends

Y/N:

After returning from Busan, you spend much of your time out of the house and with friends or just simply indoors with your eyes glued to a book and your earphones blasting music to keep anyone from talking to you. Taehyung seems indifferent for the most part, though any interaction between the two of you is highly strained.

You hate to admit it, but behaving this way makes you feel emotionally drained and you begin to wonder why you couldn’t just act normally, knowing that you may be overreacting to the situation but unable to just continue as you were before, since you’ve already started in this way and there’s only one day left until your parents return.

You contemplate all this while doing the dinner dishes with Taehyung in silence. When you finish washing the last of them, you move to leave the kitchen and he calls you -rather suddenly and loudly- by your full name. You turn on your heel immediately, given how weird it is for him to do that to you, your expression not masking your surprise.

He rubs at his neck and looks up from the floor, “Take a stroll with me?”

~

“So… What’s going on?” You ask after a few minutes of walking in silence.

“Nothing.” Taehyung answers with his hands stuffed into his pockets, “I just wanted to spend some time together before you go home on Sunday.”

You chuckle, “You do know I’m only a couple of houses away, right?”

He kicks a stone in his path and laughs back, “Yeah, well it’s been hard enough trying to get your attention these past few days and we share a room!”

You open your mouth to say something in defence of your actions, but can’t justify them even to yourself, so you just shut it and keep walking.

“Did it make you that uncomfortable? What I said the other day about liking you?”

“What?” You ask, stopping. “No, not at all. I’m glad you told me.”

He turns to face you, “Are you? Really? Because it doesn’t seem that way.”

“Yeah…” You say, looking away, “It’s nice to know I wasn’t the only one who got confused about my feelings back in the day.”

“Yeah, back in the day.” He smiles, though it doesn’t quite reach his eyes, and walks on. Before long, he stops again, “You know, we still haven’t dyed your hair.”

“Oh. Right.” You pause next to him, “I forgot about that actually.”

“I thought so.” He nods to himself, “Well… Do you still want to do it?”

Yes please! I really, really need a change and… I want to spend time with you.

You smile up at him and shake your head, “Nah, it’s okay.”

He sighs, “Just because we’ve been distant doesn’t mean that I don’t know you anymore. We’ll dye your hair tomorrow.” He brings his face to your level at your confused expression and chuckles softly, “I could see the wheels turning in your head Baby Girl and I agree, we should spend some time together. Also… It’s not only you who thinks your hair could do with some spicing up.” He ruffles your locks with an amused laugh.

“Oppa!” Comes your automatic reply as you whack him on the arm.

“Oppa!” He echoes, imitating you and skipping away.

You smile at him, feeling oddly at peace as you watch the joking man just ahead of you. He meets your gaze and waits up, shaking his head, tongue in cheek, as you slow your step to annoy him.

Upon reaching him, you give your most blinding grin at his sigh.

“Geez… Why are you like this, huh?” He murmurs in a low tone.

You shrug, “If I was taking too long, you could have just come to me first.”

“I should have… Mmh, I should.” He rolls his eyes and laughs again, throwing an arm over your shoulders, “Whatever, come on.”

~

“Patience, Baby Girl…” The tanned man you’re entangled with murmurs in your ear, softly nipping the lobe between his teeth.

His chuckle, soft, sweet and raspy, delights in the way you react to his touch as he trails his fingers gently along the curves of your body and the lace of your , where he you, nearly soaking them before even slipping his warm hand beneath them. You feel extraordinarily sensitive and flinch when he caresses your bare centre, making him pull back to look at you, “You okay, Baby Girl?” He asks, his voice deep and reassuring.

You nod in response and he brings his mouth to yours, kissing you softly, tenderly, but progressively more passionately as you become more comfortable and let the work of his deft hands intoxicate you.

Puzzled with the knowledge that the dream had changed, but too heavy with the feel of his touch and the scent of his skin to care, you come out of your sleep feeling oddly like a younger version of yourself and wonder whether you’re still half asleep, given how vivid his lingering scent and heat feels. Lazily opening your eyes, you muse at the dark brown pair that stares back at you full of concern, wide and slanted with that slight crease in the monolid of one and you smile, realising that you must still be sleeping.

“Baby Girl, are you okay?” The man asks, brushing your hair from your face and feeling your head with the back of his warm palm.

Your heart sinks and you’re filled with dread, fully aware that this is in no way a dream and knowing that those eyes that you wake up from every morning are the same ones staring at you now, the same ones that belong to your friend.

“Taehyungah?” You ask in a small voice.

“Mmh.” He nods, “Are you okay?”

You sit up, pulling the blankets up around you even though you’re fully clothed, feeling exposed, and defensively ask, “Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Ah, you were cold?” He stands up awkwardly, “You were whimpering in your sleep, so I thought you were having a nightmare. I’ll go make some tea.”

He leaves the room and you slump down, burying your face in your hands.

Holy… …

What the is going on with me?

Seriously… You mean to tell me; these disturbing dreams have been of Tae all along?

ing hell, I need to get my head checked. I need to get my head checked ASAP.

Taehyung returns shortly with two mugs and plonks himself down opposite you. You focus your energy on the hot tea in your hands, as he still stares worriedly at you.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” He asks.

You chance meeting his eyes and nod with a smile before looking back down and sipping the hot liquid.

“These two weeks went fast, huh?” He asks with a chuckle.

“You think so?” You return, “I don’t think they could have gone by any slower.”

“Oh, thank goodness!” He exclaims, grinning sheepishly, “It’s not just me then…” He gives a small, sad smile, picking at the blanket.

You look up again and this time, see only him, putting aside the odd fabrications of your mind, and realise how hurt and unsure of himself he looks. Your next words just fall from your lips, “I really didn’t expect to spend it like this.”

He nods, “Yeah, we kinda ed it up, didn’t we?”

You nod in agreement, “I’m sorry Taetae.”

One corner of his mouth tugs upward, “Hey, don’t be. If anyone’s to blame, its me.”

You roll your eyes, “Let’s not compete over who ed up more, okay? We still have the whole holiday together to make up for it.”

He smiles, “Starting today?”

“Starting today.”

~

Yoongi:

No matter how much he tries to sleep on, Yoongi cannot get his mind off Hoseok and how excited he is that he’s kept his promise to come through on his day off from work, knowing that there are other things needier of his attention. Having not seen him since the day they went to the hospital with Suran, he frets over what Hoseok will be like when they meet again.

Becoming fidgety, he climbs out of bed and draws himself a relaxing bath. The calm feeling doesn’t last long thereafter when he gets a text from Hoseok saying that he’ll arrive in under an hour. There isn’t much to do besides wait, but that makes it all the more worse, as there is nothing to preoccupy his mind in the meanwhile.

When the knock at his door echoes through his house, Yoongi rushes over to the door but forces himself to wait a couple of seconds before opening. When he does, he’s surprised at the urgent embrace that Hoseok pulls him into.

“What took you so long?” Hoseok asks, burrowing his head into his neck.

Yoongi’s chest feels tight at the unexpected warmth and he squeezes him back, his hair. Hoseok moves his head from his neck and tenderly kisses Yoongi, murmuring into his mouth, “… I’ve missed you so much.”

Yoongi smiles against his mouth and opens it to Hoseok as he pulls him inside and shuts the door. Hoseok picks him up and carries him over to the couch, his mouth as hot as his kiss is fiery. Yoongi presses himself to the man above him as he at his neck, making him groan loudly, encouraging him further. Their shirts already lost, Yoongi tries to unbuckle Hoseok’s pants but is abruptly stopped by a firm hand over his.

“Wait. .” Hoseok sits up and runs a hand through his hair with his eyes closed.

Yoongi, still beneath him, feels embarrassed and doesn’t quite know what to do with himself.

Hoseok opens his eyes and looks down at him, “ Babe, I’m sorry.” He bends to kiss him softly, “I really am sorry.” He climbs off of him and puts his shirt back on.

Yoongi does the same and shrugs. “Whatever, I just thought maybe you wanted to-”

“I do,” He turns to him and takes his hand, “I really do… but I think we need to talk.”

After catching him up on everything that’s been happening back home, he waits for Yoongi to say something, but the boy just sits there, lost for words.

“Yoongi…”

He looks up at the mention of his name and gives a faint smile, “So, you’re getting married?”

“No. I mean… Maybe.” Hoseok scratches his head, “I’m trying to get out of it.”

Yoongi nods, “But either way, you’re going to live together from now on… and she sleeps in your bed.”

“We’re not sharing the bed and we won’t when we get our own place either. I’m only doing this because it’s best for the baby.”

“Is she?” He asks curtly.

“Of course, Yoongi. She’s just as opposed to getting married as I am and she doesn’t get along with my parents either. Quite frankly, I feel like she needs to leave that house before my mom drives her up the pole.”

“So then… What about us?”

Hoseok sighs with a shrug, “If you’ll still have me, then I’d like to stay together… But it’s probably gonna be wildly different between us and I’m going to have a lot less time available to you.”

Yoongi bites his lip and goes quiet again for a while before speaking, “It’ll be a big adjustment.” He scratches his neck, “But I’m willing to try.”

“Really?” Hoseok asks, sure that he was going to say no.

“I mean… I still love you and I want to be with you, Hoseok. Even if you marry her and we can’t be together, I’m not just going to disappear from your life -unless of course you want me to.” He looks up into Hoseok’s widened eyes and gives a faint smile before looking down and shyly pressing his lips to the top of his hand.

“I don’t.” Hoseok shakes his head, “Want you to disappear, that is.”

~

Y/N:

After breakfast with the family, you spend the morning with Taehyung, packing most of your things so that when your parents arrive the next day, your families can go out and spend it together.

“Okay, Baby Girl. You ready for me?” Taehyung murmurs in your ear, his hands on your shoulders.

“I think so.” You nod, closing your eyes to your reflection in the mirror, with him behind you.

He your hair softly and you lean into his hand slightly, letting out a slow breath.

“Don’t be so nervous, Hun. I’m right here with you.”

“Taetae, please let’s just get this started before I change my mind.” You ask, tugging on his shirt as you turn to face him.

He takes your face in his hands and brings his near, “Patience, Baby Girl…”

Your heart starts racing at the likeness of, not only his words, but also his tone, with your dreams and he winks at you, “Just let me get one more proper look at you before I up.”

You beam, wielding a tinting brush, “Don’t be so dramatic, okay?”

“You’re the one on the verge of tears about dyeing your hair!” He exclaims, wagging his brush at you.

“Well, if you remember the last time…” You gently remind him of the time you tried to go blonde but then had to walk around with some dreadful coppery shade for a month before your parents would let you get it fixed.

“Do you want to dye me too? Then we can both look like if it turns out bad.”

“You’d do that for me?” You ask, touched.

“I mean, I’m pretty handsome, you know? I could pull off any hair colour if I wanted.” He shrugs cockily, “If I don’t like it, I could probably shave my head and still look ing good.”

“Actually, you’d just look like an newborn Chihuahua if you did.” You giggle and roll your eyes, “Come on, we don’t have all day.”

The pair of you work quickly with the bleach on your hair and then while you wait, you give him some highlights with what’s left over. Returning from the bathroom after rinsing the bleach from your hair, you giggle as you walk into the bedroom to see him sitting at the sunny window with a pink shower cap on his head, face upturned to catch as much of the warmth as possible. You nudge him on the ledge, and he opens his eyes to look at you.

“Come on, I’ll help you rinse your hair.” You offer.

While you do, he sits with his eyes closed and an amused smile splayed across his face, so you give him a head massage while you’re at it and, for a while he falls asleep. You start applying the dye to your hair after making him comfortable. Though it’s difficult given the small space in the bathroom, you don’t mind, since it’s much easier than bleaching and it doesn’t hurt that he looks so adorable when he sleeps either.

Working around his awkward sleeping position is difficult in the confined space and you struggle to get a decent angle to dye his hair after finishing your own. Nonetheless, you take care to make sure the colour is spread evenly and become absorbed in what you’re doing, making your way around his head from the back. When you come to the front, you have to hover over him as you try not to disturb his rest.

“Sit down, Baby Girl.” Taehyung sleepily murmurs, snaking his arms around your waist, his touch making you start. “How have you been working in the air all this time?”

He pulls you down to sit on his lap and rubs your back before opening his eyes, with his head tilted back as he goes on to ask, “Isn’t that better?”

For a minute or two, you can do nothing but stare at him and he looks attentively at you in return, “You okay, Baby Girl?”

You nod, in some sort of daze but quickly snap out of it and joke, “I thought we were supposed to dye my hair together.”

He chuckles low and deep, “I’ll take you out to make up for it later, okay?”

You can’t help the little flutter of your heart, and smile at the suggestion, “You better.”