Final

Nearly dead

 

WARNING: This short story contained to violence and abusing thing, please read on your own risk. You can stop if you're uncomfortable with it.

 


 

Krr.. krr..

The ceiling fan above me crack a sound when they are running slow in circle .While outside, the weather is a bit cold at the night. Right at the moment, the ballad song is playing through the purple headphone I’m wearing now, softly rippling inside my ears. I close my eyes, enjoying the melody by myself and drifting into my own world.

My dark sight displayed a figure that I miss the most right now. I’d spend the night of overshadowing the person, which eventually saddened me even more. I know, it’s not the stupidest thing for someone like me because that’s the only one that I capable to do. I open my eyes, resting the back of my head over the wall behind me.

The bed let out a sound a bit when I shift and I watch the clock on the wall in front of me.

2.37 Am.

All people should sleep at the time but I'm still fully awake in my dark room when I don't find any heavy in my eyelid to close. The moonlight accompany my night tonight through the exploded balcony window. The cold night wind sneak inward, sometime slapping my skin and hair.

There is rustle sound out the window, like somebody is walking on the dry leaves near my house. I pause the song and listen carefully. The sound appears again and for a while they stop and vanished away.

It's not the first time I hear them but a few times. I'm not sure whether there's a person or just animal walk by, but somehow it's creep me out especially the sound comes every after midnight.

I take off my headphone then carefully shift forward over the bed before slowly put my feet on the cold floor. I get up then hesitately stroll over the balcony window, trying to find if there's something that I can figure out. The railing I clutch strong and my eyes linger around. It's really dark but I still can see it since the neon light are everywhere. I look down and it's only empty place, nothing suspicious to be worried. 

I look up and to be greeted by the house of the next door. The house is eerily empty and the family had moved out since years ago, definitely left it uninhabited. Inside the house totally filled with darkness. The curtains half open and some are close completely. There is a balcony of a bedroom facing mine. My eyes travel there for a while at the big closed window balcony. I stare for nothing.

One second, two seconds, three seconds, four seconds...

Suddenly I snapped by something moving inside the dark room, like a glimpse of person. A black shadow. I recoil and flinch. The hair rise up immediately behind my neck in dread. It shouldn't be a person because the house is unoccupied as far as I know. I blink my eyes once trying to get a clear vision only if my sight is wrong but frighteningly there's really a shadow, tall like a man. He as if standing there, facing me through the window.

He's obviously looking at me.

Despite the darkness cover everything but I know his eyes is straight on me now.

Shivering, I instantly backward, grabbing the glass window before sliding shut close. My heart jolt fast under my chest and I run to my bed, pressing myself hard against the wall then pull the thick blanket over my body. My whole skin is prickling with goosebumps and I found my body is shaking either which I can't help but trying to calm myself again.

My breaths are loud due to my silence room and once it goes to normal, I slump my body on the bed then lie on my back with a proper position. The thought of the unknown shadow quickly I erase it as I close my eyes.

....

I throw my gaze out the car window glass, brooding over the life I'm living now. I'd always looking for a reason to be happy but the past had freaked me out and tied me down into miserable person. I can't escape nor move on into a better life. It's turned out hard for me, even I try to.

The car drives off across the city, passing a various of stores, gas station, a few of residence and the recreation park. I rarely go to any of it with my friends or family. The fact is I only rather stay in my house and lock up myself into my room, except the college. This year I'm a freshman college and there's nothing much change as high school. It's just a school I'd go back and forth for compulsory education.

From a far, my house gradually visible in front of us. The person beside me pull the car into the left, heading my house way. He's quiet on the driver seat, driving calmly. I don't have anyone but him. He's the one will stay by my side whenever I need and trying not to leave me struggle alone. I'd always tried my best to distance myself from people nearby but he's the first person I was open up to.

He makes a stop in front of my house's gate, didn't kill the engine since he's not going to stay long though. I turn to look at him and about to thanks him but he reaches for my hand before gripping it into his large palm. I'm startled at the sudden skinship that I'm not fond much. How much he tried to touch me, I'd always avoid it.

"Haejin-ah" His voice low. "I'd love to see your smile. You always look unhappy" he blunts.

I breathe out, tired. How many times I've heard that from him and it's starting to irritate me "Himchan"

His eyes draw an obvious hope as staring at me. I hold back my anger and sighing softly under my breath.

I should not blame him. He doesn't know. I never told him about my past. He's just a person that happens to bright my life, despite I'm still looking for it.

"I'd fine, trust me. I know you're worry. But please, don't make this thing so serious. I'm getting used to who I am now. I really appreciate how you concerned about me, Himchan" I give him a small smile and hope he'd believe it. I gently pull my hand back and trying not to look obvious.

He nods in force.

"Then" He holds his breath before releasing out. "Let me know if you need anything, okay?" he said, the tone of his voice dropped one octave than normal.

"Okay" I maintain the smile on my face, opening the door of his car. I grab my bag and hanging over my shoulder before stepping outside.

I shut the door, lifting my hand to wave. He tilted his head up and look at me through the opened window. "See you later. I'll call you"

I just nod and watch him pressing the gas before pulling his car out of my road house. I'm standing there quite long and being in my own world. 

I shut close my eyes for a moment then open it back as I turn around on my heel. I accidentally look at the window of the next door house. The curtain weirdly being closed an istant, as if someone had eyes on me a minute ago.

Did someone watching me all the time?

I feel my blood rush inside my whole body, creeping me out entirely. I bite my nail unknowingly and start walking in quick speed, when I feel I lost my breath I enter my house such a hurry before locking the door behind me.

I release a long breath and press myself against the flat door. I'm still in clueless about the house next to ours. Is that someone living in it? 

I push away my body and head to the upstairs, going to my bedroom. It takes me a minute before I arrived my room. I throw my bag on my bed and grab my blue towel, ready to take a bath.

The moment I stepped into my bathroom, my towel dropped down into the cold marble floor and I almost collapsed on it. The mirror I'm facing now had words. It was written:

I'M WATCHING YOU..

Somebody broke into my room.

The thought of it, making my body trembling in fear. Something is off, I knew it. My chest goes up and down as my lungs pump the air endlessly.

Letting the towel laying down without picking up. I brave myself approach forward over the mirror. I lift up my shaky hand and touch the end of the word with my finger.

The ink has erased an instant. The smell of marker is strong and fresh. It's barely written on here, I guess an hour or two hours ago.

An unease feeling crept through me. I run out from the bathroom and scan the whole room in detailed. There's no suspicious things happened. Everything in placed and nothing is missing. My study table being in good condition as if no one touched them except me. 

I already feel my breath stuck on my throat. I totally can't remain calm over this. This is serious and insane. I would not mind if there was a thief break my room because they only want my things but, he is definitely not a thief. Crap, there's someone or somebody out there and he wants me.

I try to recall back if I even have done anything or have any enemies in the past. But I guess, I have none. There's definitely none. I didn't have any friends much. That's crazy if someone was hating me for no reason and trying to bring me down.

Bunch of questions run through my mind nonstop. I'm still standing in the center of my room, pondering.

"Haejin-ah, are you up there?!"

I snap from my deep thought when a shrill voice come out from downstairs. It's belong to my mom, probably she just comes back from work place.

I touch my heart when I feel them running fast, closing my eyes, before I shout back at her. "Yes Omma!"

...

I sneak a glance at the balcony window for tenth times. After that day, I've been careful for almost every minutes, especially when I'm in my own room. I know, he was sneaking inside my room through the balcony window. That's the only way since the main door always in locked if there's no one in this house.

The night still young and I'm working on my assignment now in the study desk despite we are in the middle of summer break. 

I've locked the window yet I still feel insecure. My mom said there's someone barely living in the house next to ours, a single man and she hadn't paid a visit yet due to her busy work. I aksed her, was him an old man? But she didn't have any idea about it.

I'm suspecting him since he obviously could climb up to my room easily and our rooms kind of facing each other. However the question is, what is his real motif doing all of this?

Question after question appears, filling up my already messy brain.

I growl "What the hell is going on actually?" 

I let go of my pen for a while and pinch my temple with my fingers, they are throbbing wild in my head.

In the meantime, I feel uneasy when my heart is pumping rough like a marathon unders my chest. It's super fast and not in good way. Is there something bad going to happen? I don't know but this feeling is strong yet become tight.

I placed my palm over my chest and feel it then shut my eyes as breath in and out for a moment. It takes me for a few minutes before they back to normal again.

My screen phone blink a light as a tone come out in once, showing I got a text message. I actually startled over it and my heartbeat it's like skip a beat for a second. I'm not often surprised but this is weird. 

I grab my phone on the side of me and look through it.

 

From: Himchan

Come in 30 minutes or I'll die.

 

My eyebrows furrow automatically. Don't even understand with his words. 

Seriuosly, What kind of joke is this? It's so sudden. I tap a reply button then typing down.

 

What's wrong with you? It's almost midnight. Stop joking around

 

After sending that, I return back to my work, picking my pen in my hand again but there's another text message come in. At first I want to ignore it but through the corner of my eyes I notice I got a picture messages too.

The curiosity eat me up even I held it down. I quickly snatch it back. The moment I open it, I lost my breath an instant and my phone slips off from my palm.

The picture is showing a close up of Himchan's face and around his neck surrounding by a thick rope. His gaze went to the camera in such a sharp glace and the colour of his eyes absolutely red.

I don't know what does it mean but it seems like he's going to hang himself. I get back my phone and dial his number. My body shake up so badly so do my fingers as well. 

He didn't pick up his phone, and I'm about to make another try but a text message show up in the screen again. It's an address of destination he is located now. I thought he's at home. It's actually a place I never go even once. It's out of town. 

 

30 minutes, late a minute you'll regret

 

I hurriedly push the chair and get up. The sound is loud and it might probably reach through the room of my parent. I glance at the time.

11.45 pm

They sure are sleeping right now. I toss my pajamas then grab my jean and a simple gray T-shirt from wardrobe and at the same time I try to stay quiet, bewaring to not waking up my parent. It's going to ruin everything if they know I'm trying to sneak out at this time. I seriously need to go over there. I know, something is happening and now my heart is like going to jump out from my chest.

I give a try to call him again but it had been turn off. I curse right away and pull my jacket along before hopping down the stairs, without creating any sounds. For my sake, the staircase actually not from a wood. So, it's easy for me to go fast.

I still don't get it, why would he wants to commit suicide out of blue? He is fine with his life yet he's a strong person I've ever met. Honestly, The weak is like his enemy. 

I get in into my father's car and start the engine immediately. The time appears beside dashboard.

11.51 pm

! I lost six minutes and I even didn't move yet from my house.

Without waiting the engine to warm up, I instantly press the gas before pulling the car out from the garage.

....

I can't believe how bold I am when I come all over here by myself. It's late at night and I'm alone under the concentration of the darkness in the sky. Around me full of trees and there's no sign of single house. The streetlights seem weak and I can feel the cold night outside even I didn't open the window car.

There, I can see a abandon warehouse and an old lumber mill that hadn't run for years. I breathe out when I notice I keep hold it up. I parked the car in front of the warehouse which I spotted himchan's car there. The lights are switch on inside and I know, he's in there. when I look at the clock, my eyes enlarged.

12.15 am

I don't want to take it serious but thinking he has made me came here alone. I guess, I should. Without hesitation, I climb off the car and run to the warehouse. It's frightening to death and creep up inside me as well.

The chill wind brush both of my ears the moment I sprint off into the place that smell sticky and weirdly uncomfortable which crept inside my nostrils. 

I'm looking around but there's nope of his figure. I fish out my phone and try to dial his number again but failed when only a girl voice answered me.

I click my touch, a bit frustrated

"Himchan-ah!"

I run again, my gaze travel at the large place. It's full of old woods and dusty.

"Kim himchan!! This is not funny! Show yourself" I shout out of my breath.

I turn to the corner and found a medium room that has been locked up. It looks like a small office room. In front of the door, I see a glimpse of his phone, laying poorly on the dirty floor.

I drag my feet over there and pick up the phone. It's horribly broken and the screen crack. I feel more confused. No wonder, I couldn't call him.

I twist the door and keeps calling his name but only earning the weird sound, like muffle voice. It's a bit unclear. I knock for a few times and got the same sound too. 

I turn my head and notice there's a glass that can see inside the room. I move to the square glass to look through it and there's a nightmare I've never thought before.

My lungs heave and I found my whole body frozen like an ice. His phone in my grip dropped down, hitting my feet which I don't feel any pain at all.

I cupped my palm over my mouth and watch a figure of himchan is struggling for his life. The rope in his neck nearly take his breath when he's trying balance his body on the huge cube ice that getting melt little by little. The ice is surrounded by heater which it'd work faster for the process. That's insane! 

How the hell..?

I knock the glass hard "Yah, what are you doing!? What's happening?! Kim himchan!" 

He's throwing me a gaze when he realized I'm standing outside of the room. His mouth fighting under the tape that covered his mouth, As if trying to say something. His hands can't move or do anything when they had been tied up behind him.

I need to help him. That's what come across to my mind even I still clueless who did this.

"Wait in there, I'm trying to break the door!"

I go back to the door and trying to break it down but I only a normal girl, tiny and weak. How many time I rammed the door with my body, it's never work obviously.

I hate myself for being a girl.

I run to the glass back and I swear, I'm crying hard when the tears roll down my cheeks like a tap. It's out of control. I'm terrified.

The ice can't support his body anymore and his feet is like looking for it. His head tilted up and the rope is slowly ending his life. It's entangle with no mercy, which completely himchan doesn't want it too.

I slam the glass with my hand over and over.

"Himchan-ah.. I'm sorry... I'm sorry.. I'm really sorry.." I let out loud, grating sob.

I don't know why I keep saying sorry to him. It's like I'm the one he's end up being like this. 

One the other side, he's throwing himself back and forth in order to keep him in safe but it's useless clearly unless the door burst open and I'd save him.

I feel my stomach drop and I can't do anything. He's in pain. I can't bear it. I can't seriously watch it the way he is hanging up onto the ceiling. That's awfully bad for my eyes. I want to run away but being trapped of the feeling of guilty.

It's like my life full with unfortunate things. Now, I'm watching my friend dying in front of me. That's not right. It shouldn't happen again. It's just-

My mind pause thinking when there's a hand cover my eyes. My heart stops for a second. It's surprising warm before the hot voice whispering into my ear.

"You don't need to watch it" the voice is horribly deep and husky brushed against my skin. Goosebumps run up through my body.

"Because you're going to experience it soon, Choi Heajin" He adds, there is vibration of his smirk in the last tone while his hand pulling my head to his chest since he's right behind me. It's painfully hurt especially he squeezed it on my eyes.

My body shivering madly under him. 

The voice..

The voice is familiar...

I know him.. I know him..

He let go of me and before I could even spin around to look at his face. I feel a strong knock behind my neck.

My body drop on the floor and my vision going blurry-clear-blurry for a second.

Bang Yongguk

It's him.

I lost in the darkness... 

....

I snap my eyes open and reveal the odd aura around me. I feel a bit dizzy behind my head and it's bother me. Himchan's pale, wrinkle face flash across my mind abruptly and I yell his name right away as my body jerk up in sit position. I feel my heartbeats become fast and the gloom room distracted me before I realized I'm in foreign bed. My gaze roam around the unfamiliar room and the smell is like a man one. 

The thought of it, making my eyes wide. A man... it's him. The murder. Don't tell me..

"Finally we meet again, Choi Haejin" The voice echoed from the door. I instantly look at it and to be greeted by his presence in a black T-shirt and a shabby pair of jean.The way my name roll out of his lips, frightening me. His voice still remain low like last night. It's deep and thick every time the each words slip off his tougue. 

I don't understand and confused. 

He unfolds his hand from his chest, pushing his body forward from the frame door before slowly step inside. His gaze darting into mine and his lips curl upright in the corner with absolutely in mock way. I watch him silently and found my body didn't even move a bit. It's like I've been bewitched by him unknowingly.

He jerks the curtains open and the bright sun hurt my eyes when they suddenly come into my sight. I squeeze my eyes shut and when I open it back, I'm surprised. There's a room of mine through the balcony opposite of his room. 

He is the one that had been in my room before. I feel my stomach flip over.

"What do you want from me?" I asked before I could even think of it. He laugh from his place upon hearing my simple question. I seriously didn't make a joke at all but it's make him amusing in this way. it freaks me out to be honest. He doesn't sound right, he's like a psycho.

"Good question" He mutters. He looks at me through his shoulder, He didn't move from his spot instead his facial expression face changes dramatically into a serious one. The smile he was faking a minute ago, vanished right away like a magic.

"Your death" He stated smoothly. His jaws clutched hardly.

I'm not trying to show my shocked face in front of him but I found my saliva hard to swallow down my throat.

"Why?" My voice dry, gasping in silence. I haven't realized I'm gripping down the bed sheets beneath me, feeling hideous.

"Why?" He asked me back, approaching the bed slowly and I hold my breath immediately. In his eyes flick up into something difficult for me to recognize. 

"You have ruined my life by killing my sister" He grits his teeth together, muttering through of it. His voice it's like coming from his stomach which sounding deeper than it should be, making me shiver right away.

I'm taken aback by his statement.

Before I could do anything, he pins me down onto the bed and hovering over me. Both of my shoulders he clutches strong against the bed while having his eyes locked up into mine.

I'm speechless and my lips apart a bit in horror. I can feel a vibration inside my eyes, trembling in fear. The air seems bung up in my lungs and hard for me to inhale normally.

"Keeping my eyes on you from far had gotten me insane. You know how bad I wanted to rip off all of you. I could just stab you or shoot you in the head or crush every parts of your ing body" His nails heartlessly dig my shoulder's skin gradually and I quietly groan in agony "But that's too soon to take an action.." he adds as his weary breaths slap my bare face. 

My face definitely crumpled, holding the pain I'm having now but I can see how angry he is on me. The anger seem had been keeping long, long time ago and only awaiting to be burst out. The thought of it, making my stomach shrink once.

I watch his eyes flare with full of hatred for me. I can teste it through his tense skin. It's absolutely real.

He hates me. He has hates me. I never thought of it. There's no such a thing come across of my mind before, especially from him. He's my brother of my best friend, who got killed by a car in front of our houses a few years ago. It's painful memories yet memorable for my life. We were like family back then and after I lost her, her family moved to another place without leaving any track to us. Now, his brother hates me with his heart which I never have any idea about it, blaming me for his sister's death. This is clearly wrong.

I want to shrug off and don't want to believe him, but I had witness the way he is looking nor thinking about me right now. it needs to be serious. He doesn't joke- his rage is totally not a joke. So, I kick right in his balls. A loud groan escaped his mouth as his grip loose from my shoulders, I take the chance to throw him aside before jerking my body up of the bed and run up to the door way.

He had killed himchan, So he can kill me anytime without hesitation for sure. By this I need to be smart. Save myself first. 

I'm hopping down the stairs one by one with my bare foot, trying not to glance behind me. But for my bad luck, at the end of the ladder. I've missed the step which causing my feet trip down on the floor. I flop down on my stomach and my knees hurt like hell because of it. I moan in between my heavy pant.

The moment, I try to lift my body up, I feel a weight over my back abruptly before I dropped back into the hard, cold floor when I found my hands are weak as well to even support him.

"You can't possibly run away, Choi Haejin" He's breathing hard too, probably from chasing after me a minute ago.

I don't say anything when he is sitting on top of my back, completely putting his entire weight on me on purpose. I feel my stomach hard to move beneath me.

"You're seriously getting on my nerves" He sounds mad and his voice dropped dangerously low. He suddenly bends down, putting his elbows on my backbone, before pressing them very hard which is my chest being in pain when they are hitting on the floor flatly. I feel like my is going to expose. It's ing hurt, so, I cry out with tears dripping down non-stop. I feel like dying, right here, right now.

"I want you to feel the way I felt before" Pressing for once more before letting me go instantly. He get up off my body and letting me having my breath for a second. Even I can't see his face right now, but I know he's enjoying himself so much. I can hear his satisfied laugh through his silence.

I truly don't have any idea about what he wants me to feel exactly.

My head is spining around and I can't really make up anymore what is going on right now. It's like my soul left my body completely with my eyes half open in exhausted . Yongguk placed his hand on the floor beside my head and I immediately catch the glimpse of huge scar at the back of his hand. It's surprising me and got me curious as my gaze stop on it to stare them before his other hand appears in front of my face with vermilion handkerchief, proceeding cover my mouth and nose for a few minutes. The weird smell forcing into my nostrils

The next thing, my sight become dark and everything turned blank in a less than a minute.

....

A rough palm slap my right cheeks for several times. My eyes slowly open and the thick icy cold slip into my skin of my body immediately. I realized, I'm inside of bathtub with full of water in it, soaking 

"Don't worry, you're still alive" Yongguk said, smirking a bit. He's sitting beside the bathtub, watching me. I squint my gaze over him and found his disgusting face for me. The hatred still in there, in his eyes, boiling up in anger. 

"But not long, I'm going to end your life soon anyway" He speak again, giving me gooseflesh prickle all over my skin. I found my self petrified in the cold water. I lower my head and looking at my hands that had been tied up together.

He snorts over my silence, pissed off. I look at him back and abruptly, he takes off his shirt over his head and reveal his tattoo on his chest and upper arm. I gasp and my eyes wide, it's not like for his masculine body but there's also showing bunch of old bruise and scars covered on it.

My mouth apart slightly to say something but he cuts me off.

"You must wonder how did I get all of this?"

I don't nod nor respond, but still he tells me. 

"They are blaming me for killing their daughter. , I spent my life with their hatred to me, abusing me as if I've been forgotten as their only son. Can you think how does it feel?" His eyes darted into mine perfectly.

"No, of course you don't, unless I make you" He grits his teeth answering by himself.

"Did you- did you kill them too?" I painfully ask. My voice dry and almost lost the sound. The cold water embrace me and I can't let out my voice at all.

He doesn't answer, instead lifting his eyebrows over me.

He tsked me in pitiful and disgraceful before leaning over, whispering "You're not supposed to live too, do you know that?"

I shake my head violently and his hands come to my neck an instant, wrapping his fingers over it. He shoves me inside the water and let me drowning. My tied hands try to push his hands away but he is strong. I watch his face in blurry water and wonder is this how I feel the death? I feel something block my nose when there's no oxygen left to support me. My grasp on his wrist slowly loose and I feel dark again.

I'm died..

...

I cough a few of water roughly which my throat hurt so bad. Yongguk let go of my head and let me sliding onto the bathtub smoothly.

I feel dizzy. What's happening? I thought I gonna die. I look at Yongguk who is wiping his lips with the back of his hand and laugh a bit. His bangs hair wet a bit from water. My eyes throbs in puzzle.

Did-did he saves me?

My chest goes up and down, getting more exygen that I lost earlier. My breaths are loud so does him. I notice, the bathtub is already empty from water. I give him a confused gaze, still unable to speak since I lost much energy.

I don't undertand. Why?

He narrows his eyes on me as if he can read my mind. He let out a amused laugh again and mutter;

"I decided to let you live" His fingers flip my wet hair out of my face, a sinister smile playing on his lips.

"As much as I want to kill you, but I think it would not be fun if you're gone too quickly. What would I do without you, Choi heajin? There's like no game anymore. So, be prepare, I'll haunt you for the rest of your life"

 

 

 

THE END


 

 

Yongguk: OMG why would I kill people?

Me: Haha.. Mian *run away*

 

Thank you for reading. It's my first time of thriller story. Sorry if it didn't come out well and sorry for keeping use the same words. English is not my first language.