Warning

The Lucky One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Drawers flipped upside down and cabinet doors swung open, creating loud squeaks and thumps.  A few of your unpacked luggage were flipped inside out.  Frustrated, you squatted down to check under the beds and the vanity table to no avail. 

Sehun emerged from his office with a questionable look written on his face as he encountered a room completely unfamiliar due to your chaotic endeavor to locate one object.  You stood up and held your arms on your hips, exasperated.

“Babe, are you looking for something?” he asked and you turned around to face him.

“Woops, was I being too noisy?” you inquired, rubbing the back of your neck nervously.    

He shook his head and asked again, “What are you trying to find?”

“Oh nothing,” you shrugged but continued pacing around the room, “Uh…can I check if it’s in your office?

Before he responded, you’re already halfway to his office room.  He raced to catch up with you.  When he was finally in front of you, he began walking backwards, bending his head sideways to scrutinize your frantic appearance.  Narrowing his eyes, he extended his long arms and blocked the doorway of his office. 

“Tell me what you’re trying to look for,” Sehun half-commanded and raised his eyebrow at you. 

Your feet skidded to a halt and you easily limboed under his arm due to your shorter height.  Sehun facepalmed in defeat and followed you into the office.      

You flipped open his drawers and cabinets, looked in the crevices of his bookshelves, and even investigated the dirty corners of the room, but still nothing.  With a pout, you trotted off to search the bathroom.  Sehun stuffed his hands into his pants pockets and followed you.

“Jagiya, tell me what you’re looking for so I can help you,” Sehun’s voice filled with desperation. 

“It’s okay.  Go back to your paperwork.  I’ll find it myself,” you shooed Sehun away but he was persistent. 

With a frown, he concluded, “It’s from an ex-boyfriend, isn’t it?”

You stifled back a laugh seeing his sulking form.

“Mm….Maybe,” you teased with a wink. 

He huffed, scrunching his face into a ball, “I knew it.  That’s why you’re not telling me what it is.  Tell me what it is so I can burn it.” 

You laughed at his reaction but continued searching all over the house, flipping pillows and containers.  Finally, after an hour, a tiny sparkle emitted from the corner of the sofa.  You bent down and picked up the dainty object.  Immediately, Sehun squatted down beside you to probe the orange object.  You closed your palm over it to block his view. 

“Wait, let me see.  You turned our house into a junkyard for a paper star?!” He complained, trying to unclamp your hands. 

Of course, when it came to strength, Sehun was ten times stronger than you so eventually he succeeded in stealing the paper star from your hands. 

“Give it back,” you tried to grab it. 

“I’m going to burn it,” he said, holding his hand high up so you can’t reach it. 

No.  You tiptoed to reach it but failed to do so.  Desperate, you threw a few light punches on his chest but Sehun remained unaffected. Your body shivered up on the floor and you exaggerated a few sobs.  Instantly, Sehun crouched down to your level.         

“Hey, hey.  I meant it as a joke,” he spoke and handed you back the paper star, “here you go.”

You took the item into your hands, smiled triumphantly, and stuck your tongue out at him playfully.  Realizing you were acting, Sehun scoffed and bent his neck back to admit defeat. 

“Hehe,” you say sheepishly as you tiptoed and gave him a kiss on the cheek before walking away. 

Running after you, he asked again, “Is it really from an ex?”

You threw your head back, laughing like a little kid, “No, silly.  My kindergarten teacher gave it to me as a lucky charm before I transferred schools.”

Sehun slouched his shoulders in relief.  Satisfied with your answer, he planted a quick kiss on your forehead and scurried back to his office to finish up his work.     

—–

One cloudy day, a few weeks later, you positioned yourself in front of your laptop to finish up a sketch for a client.  Sehun had just left for work so you had the house completely to yourself.  Just as you picked up your pen, the doorbell rang.  Sehun must have forgotten something.  You shook your head and got up to open the door, fearing that if you stalled he’d be late for work.

“Did you forget your keys?” you spoke as you opened the door.

You jumped back, startled.  In front of you stood a woman in her early 50’s.  From her expensive designer blazer and skirt, salon blown-dried hair, and perfect manicure, you could conclude that she was quite wealthy. 

“Um…you are…?” you tried to be as polite as possible. 

“Kim Minyoung’s mother,” she said sternly, her face scrunched up in disgust as she looked at you from head to toe.    

You froze in place as your blood ran cold. 

“Are you not going to invite me in?” she patronized. 

“Oh, of course.  Please come in,” you nervously replied, moving out of the way to let her enter.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter