His Gift

The Lucky One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Your eyes opened to reveal white everywhere and the rhythmic beeping of a machine.  A woman, dressed in a lab coat, entered the room with a clipboard in her hands. 

“How are you feeling?” she asked.

You struggled a bit to open your chapped lips and responded, “Fine.”

“That’s good.  You inhaled too much smoke but thankfully you were rushed to the hospital so the effects aren’t permanent.  You and your baby are fine,” she informed you. 

You nod graciously.  But when your brain fully comprehended what the doctor said, you immediately looked up, shock and confusion written all over your face.

“B-baby?” you stuttered.

“Mhmm, you’re about two months pregnant.  Did you not know?” she asked, almost with a condescending tone. 

What?

Your mind must not be functioning correctly.  You blinked your eyes a few times, thinking that by doing so you would wake up from the dream you were in.

Finally, you replied, “B-but that’s impossibl—“ your voice slowly diminished when you began to grasp the situation.

The doctor gave you a look of pity, patted your shoulder, and started to leave.  You grabbed onto her arm and pleaded for her to not tell anyone.  She reassured you that it was against the law for her to reveal any information to anyone without the consent of the patient.  You nodded and slowly let go of her hand. 

The second she stepped out of the door, you hid your head in between your knees.  What have you done?  What on earth have you done?  You just recently graduated from college.  You were barely an adult yourself.  How on earth were you going to have a baby? 

The door opened and you quickly wiped any tears from your eyes.  Minyoung popped her head out and invited herself in once she saw that you were awake.

“Hey, how are you feeling?” her voice was so smooth and sweet.

“I’m fine,” you replied, looking around puzzled.

She must have noticed your confusion for she said, “Sehun is filling out documents and forms for you to be discharged.  Thank goodness, you’re okay.”

Gently, she plopped a pillow upright so that you could lean comfortably onto it while you sat up. 

“Thanks,” you gave her a genuine smile. 

She was so stunningly beautiful.

Shaking her head she apologized again, “I’m so sorry for getting you hurt.  It’s all my fault.”

“No, no it isn’t,” you quickly responded.

Minyoung shook her head again, her eyes welled up, “It is.  I just sat there like a damsel in distress,” she paused briefly and then explained, “When I was young, I experienced a traumatic event where I lost my grandfather in a fire.”

You bit your lip, feeling guilty for making her feel like she had to confess her fears to you to be forgiven.  Taking her hand into yours, you gave it a light squeeze to gesture that you understood.  She wiped her remaining tears and cheerfully showed you a basket of fruits.  You giggled at her innocence and thought that perhaps if you two hadn’t fallen for the same guy, you would be best of friends. 

How beautiful she was.  Her elegant nature alluded by the floral silk dress that hugged her tall and slender body perfectly.  Her short, wavy, milktea brown hair bounced freely as she talked.  She possessed big, round eyes and the tall nose that young girls would die for.  Even the way she sliced the apple was graceful and perfect. 

Minyoung was essentially…the perfection you could never be. 

She held out a piece of the apple.  You reached for it but she laughed and fed it to you instead. 

“This way you won’t get your hands sticky,” she grinned and shame overwhelmed you for ever trying to take Sehun away from her. 

She was the flawlessness that matched with Sehun’s perfection.  But what were you going to do now?  You were pregnant with Sehun’s baby. 

 

Shortly after, Sehun arrived.  Like a routine, he sat down beside Minyoung and worriedly asked if you were okay.  You nodded and your hand unconsciously fell onto your stomach.  I have your baby.  You think about telling him but Minyoung’s gentle laughter brought you back to reality.

Sehun commented on how pale you still looked and inquired again if you were sure you were okay.  You nodded your head, insisting that you are fine.  He gave you a look of uncertainty.  To demonstrate that you were indeed fine, you got off the bed but, to your dismay, your legs wobbled.  Straightaway, Sehun was by your side, his arm tightly holding onto your waist as support. 

“Okay, you aren’t ready to be discharged,” he concluded and walked off to get the nurse but you pulled on his arm and told him you were really okay. 

Sehun opened his lips to counter your argument but Minyoung cut him short by helping you reassure him.  Hesitantly, he agreed to your discharge and offered to drive you home. 

 

In the parking lot, Sehun opened the front passenger door.  Instinctively, out of habit, you walked over to it but Minyoung got in instead.  You blinked.  Sehun and you exchange blank glances.  Embarrassed, you hurriedly situated yourself into the back seat. 

 

The autumn breeze blew on your face through the small gap on the car window.  The coldness of it fully awakened your mind and finally you start to panic about the possibility of having a baby.  You were scared.  So, so scared. 

How were you supposed to financially take care of a baby when you didn’t even find a solid job yet?  Even before that, how on earth were you going to hide a growing stomach for nine months?

Were you going to tell Sehun? 

You looked at how tightly Sehun and Minyoung’s hands were intertwined, even while he was driving.

No.  You can’t tell him. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter