Stuck in a Bubble

The Lucky One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Cicadas hummed monotonously throughout dawn.  It was the fifth morning you spent watching the sun welcome you to a new day.  Each time, you captured a bit more of the picture as if someone challenged you to complete a puzzle.  And with each piece, you felt the tension in your leg begin to loosen up. 

Your sleeping schedule allowed you to busy yourself as you longed for Sehun’s arrival.  When he arrived, he donned on a black sweater and jacket, his hair appeared dyed a darker brunette, the side of his head shortened to a buzz cut, while his bangs swept across his forehead, covering his eyebrows.  With a calm smile, he helped you pack your belongings. 

“You are free to go,” the doctor had said earlier, reasoning that your wounds healed up and you were good as new.  Though you still felt a slight dullness running through your abdomen.  But you brushed the feeling aside, not wanting to stay imprisoned by the four walls of the hospital chamber. 

After Sehun finished packing, he cleared his throat and said, “Let’s go”. 

With a nod, you swung your legs over and dangled them from the side of the bed.  Toes touched the icy marbled floors, sending shivers through your body.  To your surprise, Sehun knelt down on one knee and effortlessly slipped a pair of flats onto your bare feet. 

Perhaps Cinderella will find her Prince. 

 

He carried your bags of belongings as you walked beside him to the elevators.  You took note of how much taller than you he had become since highschool – it must have been at least a foot in difference.  Every time you stole a glance at his eyes, your neck strained and your feet stood on its tippy toes. 

Outside, the wind blew you conscious from your lost trance.  You let out a meager sneeze but it alerted Sehun’s attention.  Without much thought, he separated himself from his jacket and draped it over your shoulders.  Button by button, he secured the jacket onto your body and you helplessly looked down at your shoes so that he does not notice your red-flushed cheeks. 

“All good,” he said cheerfully as he finished.

His hand appeared in front of you and though you knew that this happiness did not belong to you, you took it greedily.  Mentally, you bargained to God that you would repay Him for this blessing with your life. 

His hand was soft and protective, making you feel like the luckiest girl alive.  Hand in hand, you two walked to the parking lot. 

 

Moving out of your mother’s house was inevitable.  It wasn’t that you thought she’d be disappointed – no, you didn’t care about that anymore.  It was more that you didn’t want to present your mother the satisfaction of saying, “I told you so.”

So you moved into a small studio apartment, despite Sehun’s request to move in with him.

“Why are woman so stubborn?” he complained while helping you lugged a big table up a ramp.

A little amused, you trotted beside him and rolled your sleeves up to aid his struggles.  But Sehun abruptly scooped you off your feet and placed you on the kitchen counter.

“Behave and stay still,” he ordered and kissed you on top of your head, before disappearing off to finish moving the furniture.

Your little heart skipped a beat while your legs swung playfully on the kitchen counter.  He can be so sweet and manly at times.  Twinkling eyes glistened brighter than the gemstones of the night sky.   

But that only made your internal conflicts heighten.  For the more he spoiled you, the more difficult it would be when you finally had to let go. 

You plopped down on the sofa that Sehun had just positioned into the living room.  Stretching your arms out, you yawned in boredom.  Drift.  Drift.  Drift.  Gradually, you drifted off to dreamland. 

In the dream, you see the same little girl.  She’s crying alone with her arms around a giant teddy bear.  Cuts and bruises covered her tiny body.  And then suddenly, a sharp metal rod comes down and she selfishly sacrifices her animal friend.  The rod penetrates through the plush, ripping it into pieces.  Cotton flies everywhere and all you could hear are the high-pitched wails of the little girl’s pleas for mercy. 

Your eyelids flung open and immediately, you grabbed your leg.  Your chest heaved up and down, trying to catch some air. 

Sehun slumped down dramatically beside you and childishly pouted.

“If you would have just listened to me and moved into my house, we could have bypassed all of this,” he whined, pointing at the truckload of furniture he hauled in. 

His innocent demeanor calmed you down from your nightmare and you raised your eyebrow amusingly at him. 

In return, he grinned sheepishly and requested, “Do I at least get an award for my hard work?”

You hit his head with a rolled up magazine and giggled, “Do you want some ramen?”

His eyes sparkled in delight as he foolishly nodded. 

 

 

—–

A month passed by in a flash.  Your baby bump started to show, so you opted to wearing looser clothing.  On a regular day, you would work on your freelance drafts at home until Sehun dropped by during the evening hours after he completed his schedules. 

For the first two weeks, at the studio apartment, Sehun would ring the doorbell to announce his arrival, but you swore lately he’d started to just show up out of nowhere. What?  Did he climb in through the window or something?

Today, you were going to find out. 

Taking your drawing tablet and drafting equipment, you situated yourself right in front of the door to wait for Sehun.  When the clock stuck 5:15pm, footsteps sounded by the door, followed by some jingling noise.  Then, the door magically opened.  You stood up with a hand on your hip and the other rubbing your belly.  An unimpressed expression covered your face.

“Oh hey.  Fancy working in the living room today.  Did you miss me?” Sehun teased as he took off his shoes to enter your apartment.   

You extended your arm out to block the doorway.

With narrowed eyes, you interrogated, “Oh Sehun.  Care to explain how you got your own set of keys to my apartment?”

He chuckled, gave you a quick peck on your nose, and limboed under your makeshift arm-gate.  Butterflies fluttered in your stomach for a brief moment but you shook yourself awake.  Frowning, you crossed your arms over your chest. 

Sehun bounced onto the sofa with his arms folded behind to support his neck and his long legs extended beyond the ends of the sofa.  He closed his eyes and smiled as if entertained by your little tantrum.    

“Oh Sehun!” you called for his attention.

“I’m really tired.  Can you give me a massage?”

At first you pouted at the fact that he ignored your question but seeing his fatigued physique, you gave in and dropped the case.  With a sigh, you walked over to him and lightly massaged his tensed arms and legs.  He groaned in satisfaction, which made you blush a bit. 

His breathing evened and you slowly let go when he fell asleep.  Unconsciously, your head rested on his arm as you quietly admired his angelic features.  Sometimes Sehun appeared so manly but in his sleeping form, he looked like a little kid. 

“You must be really tired,” you whispered with a frown. 

Soundlessly, you got up to cook him dinner.

He ended up sleeping for a solid three hours.  You were a little upset that the food turned cold but seeing his refreshed appearance made everything worth it.  With a smile, you threw the dishes into the microwave. 

Sehun chowed down his meal as if he starved for an entire week.  You inwardly gave yourself a pat on the shoulder for feeding this hungry monster.   

“Slow down,” your voice hummed.

He the bottom of the dish, patted his stomach, and sighed with contentment.  You offered him seconds but he declined, reasoning that it was getting late.  Your heart dropped when he got up to leave.

Soundlessly, your arms cradled your own body.  As he threw on his jacket, you clenched your fists and tugged on his sleeve. 

“Do you…do you want to stay for the night?” you almost whispered.          

Initially, he looked at you surprised but then nodded.  You were a little disappointed when he situated himself back on the sofa instead of the bed, but you were in no place to offer something like that, so you suppressed your feelings and turned off the lights. 

When you woke up in the morning, he was already gone.  Of course he left you a post-it note but the emptiness within you does not fade.  You realized you’ve been super greedy. 

 

—–

A week passed and you felt lonely without Sehun’s presence.  During the night, you began seeing the little girl again.  Multiple times y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter