Pandora’s Box

The Lucky One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two weeks later, you booked your first ever baby appointment.  Excitement spread from the roots of your hair down to the tips of your toes.  You couldn’t argue when people said that pregnant woman were the happiest.  Though you’re not sure whether the baby can feel you, you’ve gotten into the habit of rubbing your belly and talking in third person as if narrating to the baby what was happening in the world he/she would be invited into in several months.   

With your hair blowing in the wind, you skipped joyfully to the doctor’s office.  Obviously, a part of you still drowned in guilt for ever thinking of abortion but you decided you would make it up to the baby by forever putting his/her needs before your own. 

 

On the ultrasound, the white mass doubled in size indicating that your baby was slowly but surely developing well.  With a strict warning to be careful and to take it easy during the first trimester, the doctor sent you off on your merry way.

 

For the first time in twenty-two years of your life, you felt genuinely happy.  So, so happy that for once you weren’t alone and lonely.           

You spent the night, snuggled in bed smiling like a fool as you looked at the sonograms. 

“My Little Bean,” you giggled as you gave the picture a gentle kiss. 

You turned the lights off and went to bed early, for tomorrow was going to be a big day. 

 

 

—–

Rays of light seeped through the cracks of your curtains.  You stretched your arms out and yawned.  Not being a morning person was proving to be a debilitating weakness of yours.  But the sight of an ironed black blazer and a pencil skirt instantly woke you up. 

Like a child getting ready for the first day of class, you stormed out of the house, a slice of toast hanging from your mouth and your portfolio swinging in your hands.  Now that you will have to support another human being, freelance work was not going to be enough to cover financially.  Statistics show that raising a child cost over $250,000.  Add that amount to your impeding student loan and you basically solidified your future in a heap by the dumpster.     

 

Looking at your watch, you were pleasantly surprised that it was still early so you opted to wait for the bus.  At the station, your nerves got the best of you and you started to fidget.  Self-esteem and public speaking had never been your forte.

“Uh oh.  Is Mommy scaring you,” you rubbed your tummy.

A drop of liquid hit your collarbone and you instinctively rubbed your eyes.  But then another drop landed on your arm.  Then another one on your toes that peeped out of your heels. 

Drip.  Drop.  Drip.  Drop.

Soon, the rain scattered down like a leaking pipe, taking you in complete surprise.  At first, you held your portfolio over your head to avoid the rain but the weather gods proved to be much more powerful than you expected.  You ran to a nearby canopy to take cover.  The last thing you wanted was to get sick now. 

Looking at your watch again, you groaned in annoyance.  The bus was late again.  Has the bus ever been on time?  Because you really needed it to be on time today!  You cursed under your breath.  You knew you should have driven the car or at least brought an umbrella along. 

All of a sudden, a familiar white BMW stopped in front of you.  You squinted to make sure you weren’t daydreaming.     

The front window rolled down and Sehun stuck his head out, “_________ah, do you need a ride?”

Normally, you would have declined but you were really getting impatient with the bus and your maternal instincts told you that you needed to stay healthy for the baby, so you got in.

It’s a bit awkward as you situated yourself beside Sehun but you’re so grateful to be sheltered from the heavy storm. 

“Where are you going?” Sehun inquired.

You filled him in on your impending job interview, how you foolishly trusted that the bus driver would be on time today, and how the weather gods didn’t warn you before you left your house. 

Sehun chuckled.  In response, you laughed nervously and rubbed the back of your neck.   

“You’ll do fine.  You never disappoint,” Sehun reasoned.

His words work like magic, calming every tight muscle in your body.  Beside him, you lose yourself agai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter