Calm Before the Storm

The Lucky One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At thirty-two weeks, you swore your baby bump grew exponentially.  Walking was avoided unless deemed absolutely necessary.  You breathed super heavily and your back threatened to break off soon. 

 After your baby appointment, you waddled slowly to the parking lot with Sehun’s arms sturdily supporting your back.  Impatience crushed you and you bent your neck back in frustration.

“Sehun ahhhhhh,” you complained, dragging out his name to emphasize the situation.

“I know, Babe.  I know.  I would love to carry you on my back but I’m afraid I’ll hurt the baby,” he replied, rubbing your aching spine. 

With puffed cheeks, you swung your arms around childishly.  You stopped walking.  From across the street, you observed a young child holding onto his mother’s hand. Your stomach grumbled and your eyes narrowed at the red bean ice bar he held.   

“Our child will grow up to be cuter,” Sehun commented, thinking you were giving your undivided attention to the little boy.   

You shook your head slowly.

“I want that ice cream bar,” you pointed to the object in the child’s hand. 

Sehun cracked up and ruffled your hair. 

“Okay, we can get that for you later,” he promised.

Your bottom lip protruded outward and you stubbornly specified, “I want that one and I want it now”. 

He laughed hysterically until he realized the seriousness of your words.

“Uh…wait right here,” he said. 

Leaning against a pole for support, you observed as Sehun waited by the corner to cross the street.  However, upon sensing that the mother and child were leaving, he ran the red light.  You felt your heart drop down to the bottom of your feet as he barely missed getting grazed by several cars.  Sehun motioned a “sorry” to the drivers and ran off to catch the child, as if nothing had happened. 

“Pabo,” you said under your breath.

After chitchatting with the mother and pointing several times at your direction, he exchanged a wad of money for the Popsicle bar.  From across the street, he waved the bar triumphantly at you.    

 

“Jagiya, here,” he grinned as he huffed and puffed from all the running. 

Tears brimmed on your eyes; your insides melted into a puddle.

“Do you know how dangerous that was?” you scolded. 

He ignored your caution and instead, unwrapped the ice cream bar and held it to your mouth.

“Jagiya, it’s melting,” he informed.

I am melting too, Pabo.  Sehun, pabo!

You opened your mouth to yell at him again but seeing how genuinely gleeful he felt completing your request, all hints of anger vanished with the spring breeze.  Instead, you took a bite out of the bar.  Rolling the wrapper paper to expose more of the desert, he almost played musical fingers to temporarily relieve himself from the concentrated coldness.  He fed you the entire ice cream, still smiling like a fool.

Why are you so good to me? 

Swinging your arms happily, he asked, “Is my penguin happy now that she is fed?”

Captivated by the twinkle in his eyes, you don’t immediately respond.

Disheartened, he questioned, “Are you still hungry?  Do you want me to get you another one?”

No, Pabo.  You just make me feel like the luckiest girl alive. 

Throwing him a heartened smile, you shook your head.  Hand in hand, you two continued to the parking lot.  Though, your pelvis still ached from waddling, you couldn’t find it within yourself to vocally complain anymore.

However, midway through the walk, you stopped in your tracks and winced in pain. 

“What’s wrong?” Sehun asked, his voice lined with concern.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter