Near yet too far

Mushroom against the Frog

 

TAEMIN’S POV

Mr. Park and I arrived at the lobby and I saw 4 guys talking. “What’s his name again?” the shortest of them asked. With just one look, you’ll mistake him as a cross between a puppy and a dinosaur. “Excuse me.” Mr. Park caught their attention. They all looked back at us as I tried to hide behind Mr. Park.

“This is Lee Taemin. He will be the replacement of Mr. Kim.” Mr. Park announced to the four. I smiled awkwardly and bowed at them. “Annyeonghaseyo!! I’m Lee Taemin.” I said respectfully. I should sound as kind as possible so they’ll help me out with my situation.

On my surprise, some of them didn’t look so friendly at all. One of them immediately stood up and looked at me from head to toe. Yes. Starting from the tip of my hair down to my shoes. He seemed more like a fashion icon than a trainee. “Not bad.” I heard him say.

The dino-puppy just gave me a short nod. Was that even a greeting? A tall guy stood up. No. A VERY tall guy stood up and smiled. He seemed friendly. The last of the four looks more like normal to me. He had a friendly smile that anyone can be comfortable with. “Hello. I’m Onew.” He said.

“Hi.” I shyly answered. Ughh~ awkward. “With his built he really looks like he can dance.” The tall guy said. “Thanks.” I smiled. I wanna be good friends with him to be honest. “Mr. Lee will be having his training starting tomorrow so he will be joining you.” Mr. Park butted in.

This will be sure difficult for me. “Hope he’ll be able to catch up.” The dino guy said. “..or else I’ll just hope Jongin will be back in the group.” The fashionista said. Jongin? Is Jongin the one I replaced? Well, I dunno what happened but he must be really good for these guys to regret him going out of the group.

“Nice meeting you all. I will do my best. Please take care of me.” I bowed again and soon bid farewell. It’s getting late. I want some sleep. But hey!! It’s Sunday tomorrow. So… nothing. I walked towards my house and passed by Daeil’s.

‘Let’s not talk today. I need to see Mr. Soo Man.’ My voice echoed on my head. I can’t imagine I actually chose going to SM than hearing what my best friend wants to say. Am I bad for being like that? It’s her fault anyway. She forced me to go for this SMEnt thingy and walked out during our rehearsal just because of a kiss. Aish. Girls. They are really hard to understand.

 

DAEIL’S POV

Did he come home already? Is he back? Is he going to stay there already? I heard that trainees need to stay on dorms. Ogad. I’m going crazy. Why am I even thinking about that bish? Let him have fun dancing on his own. That’s what he likes. Let me die here as I stare at my blank ceiling.

I woke up the next morning hoping to see Taemin and talk to him. It’s Sunday. No school. No play rehearsal. He definitely has time for me. I knocked at his door.

No reply. I knocked again.

“Lee Taemin!!! I’m here~!!!” I shouted and waited for a reply. Unfortunately, there was none. So where did that mushroom go? Oh. Yeah. I call him mushroom to annoy him once in awhile. I can still his haircut back then.

Anyway, where could he possibly be at this day? I’m so bored and I want to hand out with him. I took out my phone from my pocket as I sat on the plant box. I’ll try calling him. He might be still asleep. That sleepy head. Aish.

 

TAEMIN’S POV

“yah~ taemin pabo!” my phone rang. Daeil recorded it herself and forced me to make it my ringtone. “Nice ringtone.” Minho said. He’s the guy yesterday who was very tall. He’s the rapper of the group. We were about to start the practice so I needed to excuse myself.

“YAH!!!! WHERE ARE YOU, BISH?!” a familiar girl shouted from the end of the line as I quickly made a distance from my phone. “Don’t shout. I’m in SM Ent. now. Talk to you later, ok?” I said then hung up. Aish That girl.

“Your girlfriend?” Onew, the leader, asked. “Ani.” I laughed. “My best friend.” I replied. “Aish. Stop the talking. Let’s practice now.” Key told us. He’s the fashionista. He seems to nag a lot. Hope I can get along with him.

“So… why don’t you show us some moves first?” Jonghyun hyung, the dino looking hyung, asked. I looked at them nervously? What would they want to see? Gaaaaaah~ “O-okay.” I agreed nervously. “The floor is yours.” They told me.

I stood in the middle of the practice room. I can feel their eyes on me. There’s no turning back. All I need to do is dance. I popped through the music as they asked me to. I really hope I can please them though. I stopped and looked back at them. I saw unexplainable expressions on their faces.

I saw Jonghyun hyung’s mouth opened and said a soundless “daebak”. “How come you’re better than us?” Minho asked, his eyes as round as pebbles. I just chuckled. Hearing this from them is more than enough for me.

They taught me the steps and I got them in just one go. “We are gonna call you SHINee’s dance machine!” Key hyung said. “Mwo?! Isn’t that too much?” I asked. Onew hyung patted my back and said “Don’t be too humble. It doesn’t suit you.”