I'll try to say the awkward words of love

Mushroom against the Frog

 

Taemin’s POV

I swear I like her. Her sweet smile sends shivers on my spine. Her laughs make me want to keep her forever. Her dorkiness is perfection to me. Her tears make me want to comfort her until I see her beautiful smile again.

“… I love you.” I said as I looked at those familiar eyes that I adore. Finally, I managed to let her know. A smile crept on her face telling me that that she heard what I said. I was pulling her closer hoping that our lips will touch soon. “DAEBAK!!!” our theatre director in school shouted. “You’re so good at this.” He told us. The fudge. It was so close. He should have let me do it at least once.

“Kamsahmnida.” I bowed and a hand landed at the back of my head. I stood upright to see my best friend laughing her out. “Yah! Why are you laughing?” I asked her. “Those words were too cheesy. I was doing my best not to laugh during the practice.” She said. Her face was red and tears are forming on her eyes out of laughing too much.

“Wae? You were thinking that we were not acting awhile ago?” I asked her innocently wishing that she’ll say ‘yes’. “Pabo. I’m not one of your crazy fangirls drooling over you.” She said and pointed at a corner were girls were holding placards with my name. “Pabo. Your fanboys are here too.” I told her.

I sighed and dragged her out of the school theatre. It’s not that I don’t want attention. It’s just that I’m not a VIP to drool over.

Who is this best friend that I’m talking about? She’s Young Dae Il. We were best friends since I don’t know when. Childhood friends you say. Eat together. Drink together. Sing, dance and act together. Nah. She’s not that good in dancing unlike me but she does sing and act very well. That’s why we’re in the school’s theatre club. We usually do musicals. This year, it’s ‘The Nutcracker’.

Girls would always envy her for being so close with me and boys would envy me for being close to her. We were like the ‘perfect couple’ that you’ll ever think of. It’s just sad that she doesn’t seem to like that fact. She would always like those athletic guys and clearly I’m not one of them. I’d rather dance all day than play basketball.

“Bish! I’m hungry!!!” Dae Il shouted. “So?” I asked her. She just glared at me. She never gets full. Her stomach is a blackhole. “Yeah. I get it.” I sighed and we headed to a ramen house.

“Thish ish heaven!” Dae Il swallowed a mouthful of noodles. “Can you chew it first before swallowing?” I asked. “Nah. My stomach can’t wait.” She answered happily. She’s always like this. She smiles as if it’s the easiest thing to do. This time, I know she’s not just hungry. She’s not fine. Dae Il would always eat so fast when she’s sad. Probably to keep herself preoccupied.

“What’s your problem this time, Ms. Young?” I asked her. She just gave me a what-the-fudge-are-you-saying look. “Come on. You always chew and savor the food whenever you eat.” I told her. “I’m fine.” She forced a laugh.

“And who are you kidding?” I asked. “Lee Taemin.” She replied. “I know right so blurt it out.” I said. She took a gulp before talking. “I failed an exam.” She said and shoved some noodles on . It must be pretty hard for her. This was the first time she had a low score. She’s always on the top.

“What happened?” I asked her. “Remember the night we had a theatre practice? I didn’t have a chance to review so… yeah. I failed.” She said. Her voice was shaky and I just want to give her a hug. A very tight one. She looked at me and laughed all of a sudden.

“What now?” I asked. “You look like you can’t poop!” She shouted and hammered on the table like a crazy old man. All the people around us were looking at us as if Dae Il and I were a disgrace for South Korea. “Can you shut your mouth?” I whispered and stuffed a table napkin on .

After eating, we walked on the side streets of Seoul like we do every day. Christmas is just a few days from now so the streets were full of lights. I like it very much. “Excuse me, sir.” An ahjussi wearing a formal suit approached us.

“Ne?” I asked politely. “I’m Park Seunghyun from SM Entertainment.” He said. And just the SMEnt itself gave Dae Il and I a jump. “You are Lee Taemin, right?” he asked. I looked at Dae Il not knowing what to answer. What if this is a syndicate?

“We were looking for a male teen who dances well. I’ve approached your school and they pointed me to you.” He continued. “Why me?” was all I managed to say. “Your school recommended you to us. There’s a male group that will debut next month but the main dancer got into a serious accident and he can’t join the group anymore. SM wants to have you to replace the position. It would be our pleasure.” Mr. Park said.

I looked at Dae Il she seemed to be amused by the news. “Go get it.” She whispered. “But…” I said. “You can still attend your school normally. The salary can be talked with the Mr. Soo Man.” He said. Soo Man? Isn’t that the President of SM?! WTH. Am I dreaming?

“Mr. Park, do you have a place for my friend too?” I asked and pulled Dae Il to show him that I am with her. He examined her from head to toe but he doesn’t seem to be contented. “She sings and acts very well.” I convinced him. “Yah. What are you saying?” Dae Il hit my arm.

“I can’t promise you that, Mr. Lee. I was advised to only look for a male dancer.” He answered. I sighed in despair. “Then I can’t accept your offer, sir.” I told him. A hand landed at the back of my head again. “Are you crazy?!” Dae Il shouted at me. “Mr. Park, Taemin accepts your offer.” She told the ahjussi.

 “Are you out of your mind?” she asked me as we arrived at her house. “But that would mean less time with you.” I told her. “Wae? Are we a couple? We can still call each other. We can still spend time together at school. This is your chance, Taem.” She convinced me. Yeah. Too bad we’re not a couple.

I ruffled her hair. “Fine. I lost.” I gave up. “Good boy.” She said and patted my head. I laughed at how cute she is. Aish why can’t I tell you how I feel? “I’ll go in.” she said and entered her house. I watched as she disappeared slowly. I wish that this is the right decision.