Each other's feelings

Partners

Chapter 4:

Momo POV:

Momo sighed and felt relieved Jihyo had left. She was always grateful for her best friend checking on her, but right now she wanted some time alone. Time alone to think and reflect on the hectic day she had today. The day really had Momo’s head in the cloud all day. She wasn’t expecting to get a partner this year. Dahyun became her partner last year when she entered but was soon out of that position because of her. Since then she hasn’t had one. She also didn’t have on for a while before Dahyun either. Even though Momo showed she didn’t want a partner, she knew that in her heart deep down she actually wanted one. And the worst thing was, Jihyo knows her feelings. Since she is the one who places the rookies under training and chooses who partners up with who, she knew Jihyo must have done this on purpose. Maybe she should have quit her job that day. That way she wouldn’t have had to experience today and the days to come with her new partner. Or she could still quit, it’s not too late but Momo knew that deep down she could never quite her job. She loved it too much despite all the nightmares it gave her. She sighed again as she recalled her memories of today.

It all started when she slid into that elevator this morning. She was always the first to come to the office so once she put her stuff at her desk, Momo went out to go patrol before coming back and that’s when she bolted into the almost closing elevators. Momo felt her cheeks burning remembering she was astonished and had electricity jolting through her when she encountered Mina in the elevator. She was absolutely gorgeous and totally her type. She didn’t show it though because Momo knew she wasn’t going to ever get in a relationship more less get close with someone besides her 3 best friends. So as soon as the elevator reached her floor she quickly got out so she wouldn’t have to see the beautiful girl. However, seconds later, Momo was surprised once again because the girl followed right after and even bumped into her back. It looked like it really hurt and Momo wanted to check on her but the only thing she was able to muster out was cold stern words. Which she regretted saying soon after but took it back as soon as Jihyo announced they were partners. Momo panicked A LOT inside when Jihyo told Mina and her the news. She formulated many plans in her head to get rid of her and how to convince Jihyo not have Mina as her partner. Or more like not have a partner in general. She knew the later choice was not going to happen so she tried the first plan. She talked to Mina very coldly, kept the same expression, and even made her do things she never did like lead the investigation, hoping she would fail and be discouraged. But whatever Momo did to Mina that would usually work on everyone else, Mina seemed to be not affected by it at all.

Momo sighed one last time and drank the whole big glass of beer in one big gulp and finishing her jokbal, before crossing her arms on table trying to sleep and not think about anything anymore.

She was shortly awaken from her nap when Jihyo tapped her on the shoulder. Telling her that everyone was leaving. Momo slowly grabbed her things and got up. Holding her head, staggering a little and groaning. Her three best friends were amused and bewildered because in the 7 years they have known her, they have never seen Hirai Momo drunk.

***

After the big jokbal party, everyone separated ways going back to their respective houses. Dahyun took Chaeyoung, Nayeon and Jeonyeon home. While Tzuyu took Sana and Mina home. Doyoung took Jihyo and Momo and dropped them off at the house he and Jihyo lives in. He then went off to spend the night at his brother’s house. The two of them went inside the house, taking off their shoes and went inside the big familiar living room. Jihyo went to the kitchen to make some tea for the both of them who still had alcohol in their system. While Momo lay over on the couch in the living room. Momo usually never got drunk but due to the overwhelming stress and anxiety, she felt nauseous and a little drunk.

“Here’s your tea.” Jihyo whispered as she sat down next to her. Momo just nodded and mouthed thank you before taking the tea from her. The two quietly sipped tea for a while. Until Jihyo finally put her cup down.

“I know you’re not ok Momo. Tell me what’s on your mind right now.” Jihyo softly told her.

Momo couldn’t take it anymore, she started sobbing in Jihyo’s arms. Jihyo petted her on the head trying to soothe the poor girl.  After calming down, the crying girl suddenly outburst, “Jihyo I can’t… She reminds me so much of her. I don’t think I can handle it. Why did you have to assign me to her out of all the rookies we got this year?! You could have assigned her to Dahyun. I know you did this on purpose and I know you’re going to tell me you’re not going to switch anyone either… At least tell me the reason why you made Myoui Mina my partner.”

Jihyo pulled Momo away from her embrace, looked at her best friend’s eyes and told her the truth, “I assigned Mina to you exactly because she resembles… Kei. During her interview, I thought she was the one perfect to be your partner. Kind, calm, smart, funny, and she was also the top of her class like you and Kei were. Apparently she was offered a spot here when she first graduated but declined because of some unknown reason even though her first choice was coming to division one. Since you do need a partner Momo, I thought she would be the one that can get along the most with you and be a compatible partner that can also keep up with your skills. Obviously since everyone is coming to our division, all of them are highly skilled but not as much as Mina. Chaeyoung, Yuto, Atsuko and Ryosuke are no match against her. I know you’re still mourning the loss of Kei but Momo it’s been 5 years. You’ve got to move on” (Jihyo left out the fact that the most important reason that she made Mina her partner was because she felt Mina was the only one who could perhaps melt Momo’s cold heart that has been frozen the past 5 years.)

Momo just averted her eyes and nodded. She knew the most that she had to move on. But she was so scared that if she relented on her partner and opened up her heart, the same thing would happen all over again. She didn’t want to experience the pain all over again. Especially because Mina was exactly like her. A new rookie that was extremely skillful and pretty, who had confidence in herself. Momo didn’t want to think anymore and just snuggled back to Jihyo’s shoulders. Jihyo held her close and rubbed her back. “It’s ok Moguri. Take your time, but don’t take too long,” Jihyo told her. “I’ll try my best. It’s going to take some time though.” Momo sighed. The two stayed like that for a while until the two decided to take a shower and sleep. The good thing was, they both had the day off tomorrow so they can sleep in and get the rest they needed. Especially since the group made another promise to hang out again tomorrow afternoon. Which meant Momo would be facing Mina again not during work. She wasn’t sure if she can handle it but since Jihyo, Nayeon and Jeongyeon were also going to be there. They would have her back.

** Back to Mina POV

Mina was also exhausted from the day’s events. After all it was only her first day. She had so much to learn. Hirai-san was as not as bad as everyone said she was towards her partner. Since she even let Mina led the investigation too. She was very nervous and happy about it and made sure she did the job right. Mina was also kind of drunk from all the drinking her Senpai’s made her drink because she was a newbie. But since she was strong, it wasn’t too bad. She was more worried about her partner though. Everyone said she never got drunk, yet she seemed really drunk by the time they were about to leave. She decided to not worry too much about it since Jihyo was assisting her and said she would take care of her tonight.

Tzuyu being the only one not drinking took them back, and Mina fell asleep as soon as she got in the car. She felt the car stop and woke up, soon realizing they were at Sana’s house and not hers.

“Are we dropping Sana off first Tzuyu?” Mina asked. “No, I’m dropping both of you off here. I wanted to sleep over too but my parents called me to come back home today so got to go. Take care of Sana for me alright? She drank a little too much tonight.” Tzuyu said worryingly looking at Sana. Who was still sleeping in the car.

“Ok Tzuyu, goodnight and drive home safe ok?” Mina told her. Tzuyu nodded as she helped Sana get out of the car. Mina put her over her shoulders and walked over to Sana’s apartment as Tzuyu drove off.

She opened the door to Sana’s apartment with the spare key Sana had given her and locked it as they got inside. She dropped Sana off onto her couch as she went to the kitchen to get water for the both of them. As Mina was giving Sana her water, making sure she doesn’t drop it or splash it all over herself, Sana suddenly started giggling. Mina just sighed and waited until she stopped. This happened often. Sana giggles a lot whether it be she was drunk or not. Tzuyu had nagged to Mina countless times Sana ruining their romantic moments because of her sudden giggling. Sana finally stopped giggling and drank the water Mina gave her, put the cup down on the table next to her and looked at Mina in the eye.

“You like her don’t you?” Sana said smiling like a fool

“W-What are you talking about?” Mina said panicking a little.

“Hirai Momo. Who else? Even in the patrol office department everyone was talking about her and how she got a beautiful partner.” Sana said rolling her eyes.

“That’s not me right? Because I’m nowhere near beautiful.” Mina said sighing.

“Of course it’s you! You’re her partner right? And hush you are beautiful. Do you know how much I was worried that you were going to steal Tzuyu away because of your beauty even though you’re my best friend?!” Sana exclaimed.

Mina raised her eyebrows up in confusion. This is the first time she heard about this. Sana saw her confusion decided to spit out the details. “Mina, you remember when Tzuyu first came to our patrol center as a newbie? Well… I fell in love with her at first sight. I was really hoping she would be training under me but instead she was assigned to train under you. I tried not to show it but I was very disappointed. I was also scared that even before I approached her, she would be falling for you because you’re so damn attractive Mina. If I didn’t love Tzuyu and if I wasn’t your best friend I probably would be falling head over heels for you too like a lot of other people.”

Mina was very dumbfounded. She was the very quiet kind of nerdy type so she didn’t expect Sana to say that she was attractive. She also didn’t expect Sana’s sudden confession so she blushed not knowing what to do. Sana although drunk, noticed Mina’s cheeks reddening, patted her head and continued, “So I was really glad you introduced me to her. We got really close, and you know what happened afterwards. (Sana winked) As you know Tzuyu is really good to me and I know she is the one for me. Mina, like I did with Tzuyu, I want you to find the one too. And I believe Momo is the one for you. Although she seems cold I think deep down she wants to be closer with others. It might take a while, but I think you should try. I know you really like her. Don’t get me started Mina. I’ve known you for more than 6 years. We both know each other like a book. Remember, you were the first one to figure out I liked Tzuyu?” Mina and Sana both laughed.

“You know me too well. I guess it doesn’t hurt to try. But she might be straight you know?” Mina chuckled.

“Or Bi like you are.” Sana pointed out.

“True, but I would like it if we can become friends, or first good partners before going into that kind of relationship.” Mina added.

“Yeah. That’s true. Since you did only meet her today. We should go to sleep soon. We’re meeting them tomorrow too. I’m excited because I think we can get along with them very well!” Sana said smiling like an idiot again.

 

** Author’s note

Sorry guys for the late update!! School had been busy and will be busier this week so I don’t know if I can update this week >< Sorry! I had trouble with writing back to Mina’s point of view so it took a long time to update.

If it makes you guys feel any better, here is my YouTube channel with a couple of Mimo and one Satzu fmv. Since the songs are in Japanese, it might be hard to understand the video. I’ll try to put English subtitles later so it’ll be easier to understand!

 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaGjZ49nSOuWF3pPIRX-2iw