New Friends

Partners

Chapter 3

Jihyo stared at the phone and sighed. She had lost another bet against Momo. She knows that betting on work is not good but she does it for Momo. Ever since that day, Momo lost her true self and smile. The only thing that brings out something similar to the old Momo is when she wins her bets against Jihyo and Doyoung, her partner. Jihyo sighed again as someone took her phone out of her hands.

“Let me guess we lost another bet against Momo?” A tall young man in a navy suit said as he sat down in the chair next to her.

“Sadly, yes detective Doyoung. She said she wants it today too.” Jihyo sighed for the third time.

“Hey I told you too call me Oppa when it’s just the two of us,” he said and gave her a peck on the cheek. They started dating two years ago, after becoming partners three years ago and getting close to each other. Everyone in department one and quite a lot of others working in the headquarters know that they are dating, but since the two don’t show PDA during work or in the public in general, it’s hard to tell unless you’re close to them.

“Ok, Oppa. Should we take Mina too?” Jihyo said with aegyo.

“Oh the new girl? I’m ok with anything but I’m pretty sure Momo’s not going to like that.” He replied back.

“Exactly.” Jihyo said with a wide evil grin on her face.

**

Mina and Momo came back to the headquarters and as soon as Momo saw Jihyo and Doyoung being the only ones in the office through the glass walls of their department, she sighed and turned to Mina, “Let’s get coffee before we head back. I don’t want to work in the office with the lovebirds.” She then quickly turned around and left before Jihyo and Doyoung realized they were back.

Mina and Momo were now in the coffee room, sitting down sipping on coffee. Mina finally mustered up the courage to speak to her senpai. “H-Hirai san, are Jihyo and detective Doyoung dating? Since you said um… lovebirds earlier? “Mina blushed.

Momo just kept sipping on her coffee and finally replied, “Yeah… they have been dating for about 2 years now. Since they aren’t lovey-dovey in front of people, I don’t mind being with them. But they don’t usually have the time to enjoy each other’s company as couples so if I see them alone at the office, I usually let them be for a while.”

“I-I see that’s why we stopped by here before going back.” Mina replied, flustered that her cold senior being really nice and caring. Mina thought in her head, “Oh no I’m starting to kind of fall for her when it’s only the first day…”

After finishing their coffee, they went back to the office to find Chaeyoung and Dahyun back from their work as well.

“Well that took you guys a while.” Jihyo stated to Momo and Mina.

“We had a coffee break when we came back. Going around too many houses was so tiring.” Momo explained.

“I see. Hurry and finish paperwork so we can all go get jokbal. Mina you too.” Jihyo said, earning a frown from Momo at the same time.

“What do you mean all? Wait you’re not taking her with us are you?” Momo said gesturing towards Mina.

“Of course we are. We’re taking Dahyun and Chaeyoung too. It’s your reward for winning and Mina and Chaeyoung’s welcome dinner. Doyoung oppa said he will pay. Right Oppa?” Jihyo said sweetly.

“Wait what? Fine.” He replied. He couldn’t say no to Jihyo’s aegyo and puppy dog eyes, and Momo glaring at them. “Hurry and let’s go. Momo, Mina you can do the paperwork at home or tomorrow. Nayeon and Jeongyeon are waiting for us downstairs. We can’t keep them waiting forever.” Doyoung added.

So out the office everyone went with a glaring Momo still following along for her beloved jokbal. It’s free too so Jihyo knew she would definitely come even though she didn’t want to. They arrived at the lobby and heard two screams from two different people coming right at them. One was screaming Mina and crashed into a hug while the other was screaming Momo and tried to hug her but Momo quickly dodged making the poor girl fall. With two others following behind the screaming girls.

“Sana?! What are you doing here?!” Mina exclaimed surprised to see her best friend in front of her and hugging her too.

“Tzuyu and I got moved to the headquarters as patrol officers! So we will be seeing each other and work like we did together in the old times!” Sana squealed.

While on the other hand, the girl that fell was glaring at Momo, “Oww Moguri! Why did you dodge my hug for?” she complained. Momo just glared back and said nothing.

“You ok Nayeon-ah?” the other girl that was behind her asked helping the other girl up.

“No of course not Jeongyeon-ah! She practically made me fall!” Nayeon pouted still glaring at Momo who only scoffed back.

“You knew she was going to dodge you Nayeon unnie. She always does. Plus she is the only one with the athletic ability that can dodge that fast too.” Jeongyeon tried soothing Nayeon by hugging her and patting her head.

“Umm… sorry to ruin the reunion moments, but I think we should introduce each other.” Jihyo mustered out from all the squealing and noise around her.

The one that was hugging Mina let her go and spoke up, “Hi my name is Minatozaki Sana. I’m Mina’s best friend and today is my first day at the headquarters like Mina. Although I’m a patrol officer and she got promoted to being a detective. I’m her former partner by the way.”

“Until you left me for your girlfriend.” Mina hissed glaring at her best friend, mad about the fact she didn’t tell her she was moved to the headquarters too.

“Sorry Mina-onechan. I really wanted to tell you but Sana wanted to surprise you. Hello everyone, I’m Chou Tzuyu. Sana’s partner who also started today at the headquarters. Please take care of us and nice to meet you.” A really tall and pretty girl behind Sana and Mina said.

“Nice to meet you too Tzuyu and Sana. I’m Jihyo, chief manager of department 1 and this is my partner Doyoung. Who is assistant chief manager.” Jihyo explained. “You mean partner and boyfriend?” Doyoung added and Jihyo just rolled her eyes and gave him a that was totally unnecessary look. “The one that just fell over is Im Nayeon Unnie. She is part of the Special Forces. She’s a sniper. But when she’s not on mission she’s working as a police detective in department 3. Same with the girl next to her, Yoo Jeongyeon Unnie. Except her specialty is close range shooting and combat, definitely not for sniping. The girl with the short hair is Song Chaeyoung. You two might know her from police academy like Mina. The girl next to Chaeyoung is Kim Dahyun who is Chaeyoung’s partner and is in department one with us. Lastly the girl that’s been shooting daggers at me behind us for the past 10 minutes is Hirai Momo. Police detective in department one and Mina’s partner.” Jihyo continued introducing for all of them.

“Wait Mina has a partner?” Sana frowned. “I’m pretty sure that’s got to be a mistake. Because Mina can’t work with anyone besides me. She practically gave the cold shoulder to everyone after I switched partners.” Sana explained surprising everyone that was there and Mina still glaring at her. Her glare became more intense because of Sana’s statement. While Momo had an amused face surprised about this new fact about her partner and Jihyo just smiled. “Well you two are exactly alike then huh? I guess I made the perfect match. You guys better thank me.” Jihyo told Mina and Momo with a wink. Momo just scowled and looked away while Mina had a conplicated look on her face.

“Come on guys let’s go get jokbal. We haven’t got all day. Sana and Tzuyu would you care to join us? Doyoung asked. The two of them nodded in reply. “Great. We can continue with the introductions and pep talk when we get there. Now let’s choose car rides.” Doyoung continued.

“Nayeon-ah and I will carpool with Dahyun and Chaeyoungie. Jihyo you should go with Doyoung oppa.” Jeongyeon said.

“We can take Mina in our car.” Sana offered.

“It’s ok Sana. I’ll go with my partner. I don’t want to see you and Tzuyu being lovey-dovey in the car anyway.” Mina said still mad at her best friend.

Momo looked surprised for a moment but replied, “Sure. I can take you Myoui. I don’t want to be with the lovebirds either.” And quickly left towards the entrance with everyone following.  They were all surprised by Momo’s words except Jihyo who was grinning behind Doyoung’s back so Momo couldn’t see her.

They all arrived at Momo’s favorite Jokbal restaurant. There weren’t any customers because it was very early in the evening. They pretty much had all the restaurant to themselves. The group chit-chattered, ate jokbal and drank beer. The newbies along with Sana and Tzuyu became really close with everyone really fast, since they all had similar interests and goals. They decided that when they are not at work to address each other without formalities and had even planned a few gatherings to hang out again. Momo was the only one not participating. She sat at another table next to them, just eating and drinking and perhaps listening to the conversation, only speaking when she had to like when someone asked her a question. Jihyo sighed at the sight and went over to her best friend.

“Moguri, stop eating and join us. It’ll be fun. I know that it’s awkward that Mina’s here but I think she’ll fit in well with us. Nayeon and Jeongyeon like her already.” Jihyo told her softly so the others won’t hear. Not that it mattered because the group was so loud and in a heated conversation also being half drunk. Momo wavered her eyes for a moment hesitating which Jihyo didn’t overlook before replying coldly, “I’m ok. You know I don’t like big groups and drunk people. I’ll just be enjoying jokbal here to relief my stress. Thanks for the offer and food.” Jihyo just sighed again and said, “Ok Moguri. Feel free to join us whenever. Also do you want to come over after this to my place? Doyoung Oppa is going to his brother’s so it’ll be just me. You need to let it all out sometimes you know. You have the bad habit of keeping everything to yourself.”

Momo just lowered her head and nodded. Jihyo understood that Momo was reflecting on her actions, gave her a quick hug smiled and returned back to her seat.

 

** Author’s Note:

Sorry for the late update! But here it is. How did you guys like it? And thank you so much for the feedback! Really appreciate it J I’ll be writing Momo’s POV in the next chapter since there were requests on Momo’s POV. I know the story might seem a little slow but please bear with me. I promise there will be more Mimo interactions later on.

​Btw I know its old, but recently I just keep on repeating the MR removed version of TWICE singing bad girl good girl. They suit that kind of concept so much~~~! Jihyo's beginning, Mina and Tzuyu's Suzy part, Jeongyeon and Nayeon singing the main chorus and Momo's English is just...ugh too cute ><