Chapter 2

Narcissus

“Yes, mom. Yes, I’ve read the files. Yes, I know.”, Chanwoo said to his mom on the phone. “Yes, I got it, Mom! This is the first time dad allowed me to do real work, I’m not going to mess this up. Don’t worry!”

When his mom finally ended the call, Chanwoo sighed.

“Your mom is always like that.”, Hanbin commented.

“Yeah, I know. But I’m not a kid anymore! She always treats me like I’m still a baby!”, Chanwoo protested.

“What is this first ‘real work’, anyway?”, Hanbin asked.

“Negotiation. With another company.”, Chanwoo replied. He took a folder from his bag and handed it to Hanbin.

Hanbin took the folder and opened it. His eyes went wide upon seeing the name of the other company. “You don’t have to go, you know. I can send someone in your stead.”

“Nope, that can’t happen. This is my first negotiation; I have to do this right. And by myself.”

“No, really. You don’t have to.”, Hanbin insisted.

“Look. I know our fathers’ companies have been partnering since God knows when, but my father’s company is still my company, and your father’s yours. I can’t possibly let your people do my job.”, Chanwoo replied as he snatched the folder back from Hanbin.

“Take care, I’ll be back for dinner!”, Chanwoo quickly left before Hanbin could say anything else. Hanbin could only sighed…


 

“Woah! Such a big room!”, Chanwoo said as he entered the meeting room. The secretary smiled hearing Chanwoo’s comment. “Please wait here for a while, the chief will be meeting you soon.”, she said, leaving the room soon after.

“How many people can fit here?”, Chanwoo asked himself. He started counting the chairs, “One, two, three, four…”.

“Having fun counting chairs?”, someone suddenly asked.

Chanwoo shrieked a little out of surprise. He then turned around, “You scared me…”. Upon seeing the man, Chanwoo felt like he has seen the man before. “Are you… Are you Junhoe? Woah! You look even better without mask.”

Junhoe smirked at the compliment, “Yeah, heard that a lot. Let’s get the negotiation done.”. However, Junhoe quickly changed his mind, “But, before that, let’s get to know each other.”

Chanwoo is a bit… interesting, or so Junhoe thought. On the surface, he is just like everybody else: Always complementing Junhoe, happily his boots. But there is a feeling, a hunch, after that masquerade ball night, that Chanwoo isn’t like them.

So, they started talking. The topics ranged from the basic family and business, to the very personal romantic life. In fact, the topic changed every 5 minutes or so, but they could somehow still connect.

And from their conversation, Junhoe could clearly see that Chanwoo is, in fact, different. He does compliment Junhoe a lot, but not like how other people compliment him. There is just something in Chanwoo that make him unique.

For example, when Junhoe talked about his romantic life. He went straight to the point: many people chased him, but he rejected all of them. Not even one leave a mark on his heart.

“So… You’re a jerk?”, Chanwoo asked after hearing Junhoe’s romance history. But he quickly added, “Whoa! That’s awesome! I never met a jerk as evil as you before. Not even Hanbin.”.

Junhoe lifted one eyebrow at the half-compliment-half-scorn that Chanwoo just threw at him. “Is that a compliment? And what did you mean, ‘Not even Hanbin’?”.

“Oh, you don’t know? He is so bad! He always makes me do stuff for him!”

“For example?”, Junhoe asked.

“Make him breakfast, carry his bag, do grocery for him…”, Chanwoo started listing all the things that Hanbin has ever made him do.

“And you willingly do them?”, Junhoe interrupted.

“Of course! I’m his friend! Best of friend!”

“Just friend, huh?”, Junhoe asked quietly, almost as if he’s talking to himself.

“Eh…? What’s that?”, Chanwoo asked.

“Nothing. Now, where were we?”

They continued talking like that, completely forgetting about the negotiation. Before they even realized it, the sun already set.

“Oh… Look at the time.”, Junhoe said.

“Ah! What about the negotiation? I completely forgot!”, Chanwoo shouted in surprise.

Junhoe laughed at Chanwoo’s reaction, “Well, Let’s make it easier for you. I’ll just agree with whatever condition you put in.”

“No, you can’t do that. We need to do it properly! Otherwise what will I say to my father?”, Chanwoo protested.

“I see… Well, we can do it now, if you want.”

“But it’s already late. I don’t want to hold you back… What if I just come back again tomorrow?”

For some reason, Junhoe got slightly happy when he heard that Chanwoo is coming again (although he wouldn’t admit it). He ended up staring at Chanwoo for a while.

“Unless you really want to do it now?”, Chanwoo added, bringing Junhoe back to reality.

“Nah, we can do it tomorrow.”

“Ok. I’m going home then.”

“How do you go home? Did you drive?”, Junhoe asked.

“No, I took taxi.”

Hearing that, Junhoe stood up and said, “I’ll drive you home.”.

“Hmm? I don’t want to bother you. I can go home myself.”

“I insist.”, Junhoe said as he grabbed Chanwoo wrist. “Now let’s go.”

“You’re just like Hanbin…”, Chanwoo said quietly to himself.

“What’s that?”

“Nothing.”


 

When they entered Junhoe’s car, Chanwoo gave his address to Junhoe. So far so good. However, midway, Chanwoo realized that they’re not heading home. “Wait. Where are we going?”, Chanwoo asked.

“Dinner.”, Junhoe replied simply.

Chanwoo wanted to protest, but realized that he didn’t really have a choice. That is, if Junhoe is like Hanbin, then whatever Chanwoo said won’t change his mind.

In the end, he chose to just follow Junhoe, and texted “I’ll be late. Eat dinner without me.” to Hanbin.


 

The dinner went pretty well. In fact, it went so well that Chanwoo completely forgot about Hanbin. Chanwoo and Junhoe even exchanged phone number.

However, as soon as Chanwoo entered his house, Hanbin grunted. Just like a parent, he asked, “Where have you been?”.

“Ah… That’s…”

“Where have you been?”, Hanbin asked again, this time pinning Chanwoo to the wall.

“I… I had dinner with Junhoe.”, Chanwoo finally answered.

“You what!?”, Hanbin rose his tone.

“Eh… That’s just a dinner. Sorry. Don’t get mad. I’ll make your breakfast tomorrow, I promise.”, Chanwoo pleaded.

Hanbin sighed. “No, sorry. You’re right, that’s just a dinner.”, he said while dragging Chanwoo to the sofa. “Tell me about today.”

So, Chanwoo start talking about the whole day, starting right from the meeting. And from the way Chanwo’s face brightened while talking, Hanbin knew… he knew that he has lost. Chanwoo never talk about anyone like that before, not even Hanbin himself, the friend that has been with Chanwoo almost all of Chanwoo’s life.

But he isn’t giving Chanwoo up that easily. Junhoe only knew Chanwoo for a day, while Hanbin knew every little thing about Chanwoo.