Chapter 1

Narcissus

“Dashing.”, Junhoe said while he admired himself in the mirror. Fitting black suit, perfectly styled hair, natural make-up that bring forward his innate beauty. Perfect.

Only one last thing: The mask.

Junhoe walked slowly toward his desk, picking his mask and carefully observed it, feeling the sensation of the material on the tips of his finger. “How futile.”, he thought.

Junhoe’s family has always been powerful. Be it in the political field or business field, everyone knows their names. But Junhoe is special.

How special, people always ask. But that’s before they meet him. When they actually see him in person, they’ll know, just know, that he’s different from the rest of us.

Every year, his family never fail to hold a masquerade ball; inviting all of their colleagues. A show of power, the ball is always excessively lavish. Of course, with masquerade, comes the need to have a mask. But Junhoe thinks differently. Why would you hide your beauty behind a mask?

Nonetheless, rule is rule. It doesn’t make any difference to him anyway; people always recognize him no matter what.

Junhoe put his mask on, and strode toward the door. When he entered the balcony, he can felt everyone in the hall below stopped to gaze at him. Oh, the attention. Not that it’s a bad thing; he is pretty much used to it at this point.

He walked down the stairs, and everyone’s stares followed his every step. The young, the old, man and ladies, all mesmerized by his entrance. As he walked toward the middle of the hall, he could see very clearly everyone were looking at him. Some with awe, some with envy, and some with… lust? Regardless, their feelings are not his problem; he never pays attention to any of it.

“Oh, wow. This cake is so good.”, a sudden voice appeared from behind the crowd, taking everyone’s attention from Junhoe and toward the source of the voice, which was revealed to be a young gentleman, about the age of Junhoe.

“Hmm…? Did I interrupt something?”, the man asked when he noticed everyone’s eyes were at him.

Slightly annoyed by the disturbance, Junhoe dashed toward the man. The man quickly noticed Junhoe. “Woah… So handsome!!! You must be Junhoe! I heard a lot about you.”, the man cheerfully said. He went forward to grab Junhoe’s hand for a handshake, but noticed that his hands were dirty. “Oops… My hands are dirty.”

“And you are…?”, Junhoe asked.

“Chanwoo.”, the man innocently said, oblivious to the ruckus that he made.

“And why are you here?”

“Eh…? I don’t know… My dad told me to come, so I came.”

Junhoe sighed. “And your dad is…?”

“He is with me.”, another man suddenly said.

“Ah… Hello, Hanbin…”, Junhoe greeted the man.

Upon noticing that everyone’s stares were still at them, the man called Hanbin turned around and shouted, “Don’t you guys have nothing better to do?”. And with that, the crowd dissipated.

“Oh, Hanbin, you’re still as cruel as ever…”, Junhoe sneered at Hanbin.

“And you’re still as vain as ever.”, Hanbin replied.

“Ooh… This one is good too. Don’t you guys want to eat anything?”, Chanwoo asked the two man, unaware of the tension.

“That’s enough, Chanwoo. We’re leaving.”, Hanbin said.

“Eh? But we’ve just arrived. And the foods are good too…”, Chanwoo protested.

“I’ll get you something better.”, Hanbin said again as he grabbed Chanwoo’s arm and dragged him outside.

“Good riddance.”, Junhoe thought.


 

When Hanbin and Chanwoo arrived at Hanbin’s car, Hanbin quickly entered the driver’s seat while taking his mask off. Chanwoo soon followed and sat on the seat next to Hanbin.

For a while, Hanbin did not start the car; instead he just laid back on his seat thinking.

“Umm… Why don’t you start the car?”, Chanwoo asked.

“That Junhoe guy… What do you think about him?”, Hanbin asked while looking at the window, as if avoiding to look at Chanwoo.

“Hmm…? I don’t know. I just met him. But he seems nice. And so good-looking too.”

“Even more good-looking than me?”, Hanbin asked, this time looking at Chanwoo.

“Eh… That’s…”, Chanwoo found himself unable to reply.

“If I ask you to choose between me and him… You’ll choose me, right?”, Hanbin continued asking.

Before Chanwoo could reply, Hanbin interrupted, “Never mind. Let’s get going. I said I’ll get you something nice, right? What do you want?”