Chapter 3

Don't give up on us

'Doyeon! H-How are you? Did you get your bag back?' Yoojung stumbled nervously as she stood up and turned to the girl. She wanted to smile sweetly but she could just tell that her face was doing that weird, awkward thing that is usually did in front of new people. Why was she so socially inept?

'Hi, Yoojung! I'm good, how are you? Uh, yeah I got my bag, thanks!' Doyeon bit her lip nervously...she hadn't thought this through, What was she going to say? She found herself tongue-tied in front of Yoojung.

'Yeah, I'm good...' 

Doyeon took a deep breath. Oh god, this was awkward...

'Phone number!' Doyeon blurted out, making Yoojung's eyes widen in shock. 
 
'Sorry, what?' Yoojung asked slowly, looking at Doyeon as if she was crazy. Which was fair enough.

'Sorry..' Doyeon awkwardly laughed, 'What I meant was to ask you for your phone number, if that's okay with you? To be honest, I really liked spending time with you and I want to be friends!'

Yoojung stood there, not saying a word. Was this seriously happening?

'But it's okay if you don't want to! Uh, I'll just leave. Bye! Sorry for botheri-' just as she was about to run away, Doyeon paused as Yoojung gave her a small smile before leaning down and picking up her bag. She waited nervously as yoojung took something out. 

'I'd love to be friends with you, Doyeon! Sorry for not replying, I just...never expected you to have said that...' Yoojung gave Doyeon an apologetic smile as she ripped off a piece of her notebook paper to write her number on. As Yoojung focused on the paper, Doyeon secretly smiled to herself, estatic that Yoojung wanted to be her friend.

'Here you go!' Yoojung held out a piece of paper which Doyeon eagerly took. Their hands touched for a single moment, Yoojung's stomach suddenly feeling fluttery while Doyeon face started to warm up.

'I better go...I'll call you, okay?' Before Yoojung could blurt out a response, Doyeon had already started running back to the other cheerleaders, clutching the piece of paper carefully and smiling from ear to ear.

*

'Why have you been looking at your phone for the last hour?' It had been 2 whole days since Yoojung's conversation with Doyeon and she still hadn't called. Yoojung was currently lying in her bed while her best friends, Yeunjung, Sohye and Chaeyeon were scattered around her room. Usually, she would be involved in their lively discussion but she was too upset. Why would Doyeon ask for her number but not use it?

'Yoojung!! Answer Sohye, I swear you've been blanking out more these days!' Chaeyeon reached up and nudged the girl slightly.

Yoojung snapped out of her inner monologue. She had forgotten they were even here. Why was this Doyeon situation bothering her so much?

'Uh...it's just stuff. Don't worry about it!' Yoojung shoved her phone under her pillow, out of sight, out of mind and tried to focus on her friends.

'Want to talk about it?' Yeunjung looked up from the book she was reading, seeming concerned for Yoojung.

Yoojung thought about it. They were her best friends and she should be able to talk about things, right? So she did exactly that. From her encounter with Minhyuk to everything with Doyeon. She felt so happy to stop bottling everything up.

'Wait, where was I when this all happened?' Yeunjung asked, causing Yoojung to laugh. 'Well, ever since you dropped English, our only subject together, we barely see each other anymore!'

'Don't worry, Yeunjung, she didn't tell us about it either!' Sohye and Chaeyeon pouted simultaneously and Yoojung simply rolled her eyes and reached for her phone. 


1 New Message:
Unknown number:
Hey Yoojung, it's me!

*

'Give me back my phone, Somi or else I will cut up all your stuffed toys!' Doyeon shouted, as she chased Somi round the empty classroom.

She had lost a game of rock, paper, scissors to Somi and had to give the girl her phone for 2 days as the result. Even though that time had already passed, the younger girl simply couldn't let Doyeon live a peaceful life and was refusing to give it back.

'What's so important today? You never care about your phone!' Somi giggled as she stood on the opposite side of a large table, leaving Doyeon no way to attack slyly.

'Oh? What's this a new contact? The name is literally just a bunch of hearts?' Somi squinted to make sure she was seeing correctly. Her emotionless friend who has never been in a relationship, Kim Doyeon, is smitten?!

'That's...uh...the chicken place I love!' Doyeon squealed urgently, hoping Somi would fall for it.

'Oh really? So you wouldn't mind if I called it?' Somi dramatically pretended to press the call button on Doyeon's phone in slow motion.

'STOOPP!!' Doyeon groaned, why must she share these things with people, it was just embarrassing.

'Oh? I didn't think you'd actually freak out' Somi giggled and handed the phone to Doyeon.

'Her name is Yoojung, I met her the other day and I got her number and I swear we would already be texting by now if it weren't for some hyper little kid who just won't let me LIVE!' Doyeon gave Somi a look that could kill.

'Well, quickly text her, you idiot!' Somi teasingly poked Doyeon and then pointed down at the phone, 'Or else she'll think you hate her'

Doyeon gasped. She didn't even think about that! Yoojung was probably waiting for her to text. Doyeon probably seemed like a complete tool.

Doyeon looked down at her phone and tapped it randomly, not even unlocking it because, well, she didn't even know what to type.

While all this was happening, Somi was watching her actions, completely surprised that the usually cool Kim Doyeon was reduced to this because of a girl. She must really like her.

'Ugh just give it to me' Somi snatched the phone out of Doyeon's hands and unlocked it. She opened a new message tab while Doyeon simply watched. Having Somi do something is probably better then her doing nothing, right?

To: ❤️💛💚💙💜

Hey Yoojung, it's me!

Doyeon looked at the message that Somi had sent. What if Yoojung doesn't reply? What if it's the wrong number?

Somi looked over Doyeon's shoulder and sighed. 'I would love to sit here for hours and wait for her reply but I've got to go, school finished an hour ago and I'm hungry. Byeeeee!' 

Doyeon gave her an quick wave before going back to staring at the phone. Why wasn't she responding?

*

Yoojung, Chaeyeon, Sohye and Yeunjung were gathered around the small phone, staring blankly at the message. It had been who knows how long since it appeared but no one knew what to do, especially not Yoojung. 

'Are we going to watch it for hours...?' Sohye asked blankly while her eyes strayed to the clock on the wall, 'it's been 5 minutes'

'W-What do I s-say?!' Yoojung's hands trembled. Why was she even scared about texting her. This was just a normal person...okay no. It wasn't just a person. It was the beautiful and kind angel that went by the name of Kim Doyeon.

'Snap out of it, kiddo! Just...type!' Chaeyeon took the phone off the floor and placed it carefully in Yoojung's hands.

Biting her lip, she nervously wrote something out and sent it. What's the worst thing that could happen?