Chapter 1

Don't give up on us

'Excuse me! You! Over there!!' Doyeon shouted across the field, still at top of the cheerleader pyramid but distracted with the sight of someone stumbling all over the place, books stacked so high in her arms that you couldn't even see her face. Why wasn't anyone helping the poor girl? She couldn't help it, every time she saw a damsel in distress, she wanted to jump to her rescue. So that's exactly what she did.

A large collective gasp from all the students on the field filled her ears as Doyeon literally jumped off what felt like 10 metre human pyramid to run across the field. 'Wait up!! Let me help!' She waved her long arms crazily in the air to try get the girl's attention but to no avail.

At the very same time, a distressed Yoojung was busy juggling her books and her dancing clothes in her small arms that she didn't even hear the commotion. 'Ugh I swear to god, I need to get a ba-UGH'. She fell over, her legs had given up trying to hold the enormous weight in her arms. How embarassing, Yoojung thought, hoping that no one had seen that as she got up. 

Doyeon gasped, 'Are you okay?!?' She ran as quickly as she could to Yoojung's side, helping her pick up all her scattered belongings. Yoojung looked up and her eyes widened, Kim Doyeon, the prettiest girl in school, was helping her. 

'Uh...please don't go through all this trouble! I - I can do it myself!' She placed a shy hand on doyeon's shoulder but quickly retracted it when Doyeon turned her head to look at her. 'Are you okay? You took a pretty bad fall there...I can carry your stuff for you if you want!' Doyeon smiled and Yoojung could just hear her heart beat out of her chest.

'No, it's okay, I've got to go somewhere out of school and I think you have to get back to your cheerleading...' Yoojung nodded in the direction of a group of girls running up to Doyeon. 

'Yah!!! Kim Doyeon!! What the hell is wrong with you? Why would you jump off the pyramid? You know how dangerous that was? You could have di-' one of the girls exclaimed hysterically.

'But I didn't die? I'm fine, Kyulkyung unnie!' Doyeon rolled her eyes, since she was the youngest in the cheer squad everyone babied her. 'I just wanted to help this girl!' Doyeon turned around only to see an empty space, the cute girl and her things completely gone. 'Huh...She was here a minute ago...'

'Doyeon, you are so reckless! That's it, you're dismissed from this practice. Come tomorrow with a better understanding of safety'. The cheer captain, Im Nayoung gave her a pat on the shoulder and started walking back to the field, followed by the rest of the team. 

Doyeon sighed...well, since I have the time I may as well look for my mystery girl.

*

Yoojung sighed, the first time talking to a girl that pretty and she was totally boring. When else would she get the chance to speak to Kim Doyeon again?

She readjusted her grip on her books and continued to walk. Why did she have to tell her mother she would study better after becoming a trainee? She stomped heavily down the street, still upset that her so called friend, Chaeyeon, ditched her for her boyfriend. She was her ride to the Fantagio building but now she has to walk all the way there with all this stuff.

'EXCUSE ME!!' Yoojung heard someone shout. She kept walking because she didn't recognise the voice. But when she heard it again, she decided to just turn around. Her head tilted in confusion...Why was Kim Doyeon running towards her? She looked around just in case it wasn't her the girl was running to but she seemed to be the only person nearby. 

Doyeon finally caught up to the girl, breathless but not as much as Yoojung, who had stopped breathing completely. How did someone look so pretty after running?! 

'You...left...without saying...goodbye...' Doyeon panted out as she collapsed on the floor.

'Uhh you seemed busy and I had to get going...I'm sorry...Are you okay?' Yoojung dropped all her stuff and quickly reached in her bag for her water bottle and handed it to the taller girl, who drank it quickly.

'Here' Doyeon said nonchalantly, handing Yoojung a plaster and what looked like a sports bag, 'Put the plaster on your hurt knee and all your stuff in the bag' 

Yoojung was shocked. Did this girl really do all this for a stranger?!

'This is all so nice but why are you doing this?' Yoojung questioned the girl while doing what she said. She hadn't even realised her knee was bleeding.

'You're a damsel in distress. A pretty cute one, too! Why wouldn't I help you?' Doyeon smiled at Yoojung, laughing at the girl's shy reaction.

After putting everything in the bag, Yoojung turned to the girl, 'Thank you for this, I'll give you the bag tomorrow at school.' Yoojung bowed slightly and turned to walk away.

'Wait!! I do all this for you and you don't even invite me to wherever you're going??' Doyeon pouted and to be honest, Yoojung's heart melted.

'I uh...just didn't want to waste more of your time, Doyeon - ssi...I'm so sorry!' Yoojung started biting her lip out of nervousness. She felt bad.

'I'm only teasing! Where are you going anyway? I'll walk you, Yoojung, is it?' Doyeon got up, seeming to have recovered completely from the mini marathon she had ran. 

'Oh! I haven't introduced myself, I'm Choi Yoojung...and I was about to go to the Fantagio building...'

'Really? For what? Are you a trainee??' Doyeon's covered her open mouth with her hands in shock. 'That's so cool, Yoojungie!!' 

'Uh yeah...I dance a little. I have ever since I was young...' Yoojung said shyly, half taken aback by the cute nickname and half wondering why she was being so open with a stranger.

'Can I come with you?? Pretty please? I've always wanted to see what trainee life is like!' Doyeon looked at Yoojung with the prettiest puppy dog eyes ever...How could she resist?

*

'Well...this is it.' Yoojung stood at the front of the building, standing next to Doyeon, who she had never noticed was this tall until she stood right next to the giant.

'Woah. This is seriously cool! I always wanted to be a trainee but I guess it's too late now...' Doyeon sighed a little bit, the disappointment written all over her pretty face.

'If you have a dream, go for it. If you want something, go grab it. It's only out of time if you think that.' 

Doyeon took it in. What the girl had said was shockingly true. Her dream of being a singer was buried under reality and growing up. Why did she let her dream go?

'Yoodaengdaeng!!' An excited voice said. Doyeon snapped out of her existential crisis to look up and see Yoojung being suffocated in a bear hug from a pretty girl.

'Haerim unnie! Get off me!' Yoojung stuttered as she pulled away from the girl's strong grip.

'I'm sorry, kiddo, I've just missed you so much!' The girl was in the middle of squishing Yoojung cheeks (which Doyeon only noticed were absolutely adorable) when she turned and saw Doyeon. 

'Oh? Who's this? I thought I knew all of your school friends?' Haerim started walking towards the tall girl but Yoojung quickly pulled her back and said a quick 'Shut up please, you're embarrassing me!' under her breath.

'Uh...I should go, it's getting late! See you tomorrow at school, Yoojung!' Doyeon said quickly before running back in the direction they had previously come.

When she was out of sight, Yoojung turned to glare at her friend. 'Haerim unnie!'

'What? I just asked who she was! Which no one answered, by the way?' 

'She's Kim Doyeon...a girl from my school...' Yoojung sighed. The girl must have realised Yoojung was a complete dork and ran away. It was good while it lasted, huh?

'Woah, she was totally pretty!' Haerim exclaimed.

'I know right...' 

'Come on smitten kitten, stop drooling everywhere. Let's go to practice!' Haerim threw her arm round a dazed Yoojung before walking into the building.