3 AM - Nichkhun and Annette

That One Night

Nichkhun’s POV

 

His phone was ringing non-stop.

 

“What the …” he grumbled as he dragged himself off his bed to the phone on his desk. He had planned on ignoring it but whoever it was had no intention of letting up.

 

“Hello?” he spat at the person on the other line.

 

“I’m outside your door,” he heard Wooyoung speak on the other line.

 

“What the Wooyoung, it’s 3 am,” he complained. But already he was walking towards his front door. He threw the door open and found Wooyoung standing outside his door, looking anxious.  

 

“You better have a pretty damn good reason for waking me up,” he cried angrily. Wooyoung scowled at him.

 

“Annette is at a police station—here in Seoul.”

 

Nichkhun stared at Wooyoung dumbfounded. Whatever sleep he had was now gone. He was now wide awake.

 

***

 

“Wooyoung oppa!”

 

He watched the young girl cry and run to Wooyoung as they entered the police station. She hasn’t noticed him yet but when she did she froze. She threw Wooyoung a betrayed look.

 

“What is he doing here? You promised me you wouldn’t tell him,” Annette barked accusingly at Wooyoung. He could tell from her looks and the hoarseness of her voice that she had been crying.

 

“I’m sorry Annette, but I had to,” Wooyoung tried to explain but she was already moving away from him. It was his turn to talk.

 

“What’s going on Annette? Why are you here? Were you arrested?”

 

She glared at him.

 

“No! Why would you even think that?”

 

He knew the reason for her coldness and he could hardly blame her. He waited patiently for her to answer his question. She looked away from him but she did reply.

 

“I got robbed. I was walking to the train station when someone took my bag, my wallet, my everything. I had to find the nearest police station to call for help.”

 

“What are you doing here in Seoul? And alone too?”

 

“It’s none of your business,” she spat at him. He took a deep breath.

 

“Okay, but why did you call Wooyoung instead of me?”

 

“Have I not made it clear?” she glared at him defiantly. “It’s none of your damn business.”

 

“Enough of this hostility Annette,” Wooyoung snapped beside him. “We’re here to help but first you have to answer our questions.”

 

Annette grumbled, her age showing.

 

“Ugh! Can’t you just lend me some money? I just need to get home, okay?” she was looking at Wooyoung now.

 

“I called you to borrow some money so I could go home. I’m going to pay it back, I swear.”

 

“Why are you here in Seoul in the first place?” he tried asking again. Annette rolled her eyes at him. But Wooyoung was quicker to react.

 

“Annette, please, just answer the questions.”

 

“Fine,” she said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. “I came here to watch his concert.” She pointed accusingly at him. Wooyoung laughed.

 

“It wasn’t for me!” Annette glared at Wooyoung indignantly. “It was for Anna unni—“

 

He watched as Annette turned red and her eyes widened with shock as if she just revealed something she shouldn’t have. Now he was even more curious.

 

“What’s going on Annette?” he asked her calmly. But the girl refused to talk now.

 

“Annette?” he tried again but she wouldn’t even meet his eyes.

 

He sighed. He’s exhausted and this is draining him even more. He wanted to go back to his bed as soon as possible.

 

He stood in front of her, forcing her to look at him.

 

“Okay, you don’t have to talk. I’ll just call your mother then—“

 

“No!” she screamed, her eyes shining with fear. “She doesn’t know I’m here. She thinks I’m sleeping over at a friend’s house.”

 

“Just answer the goddamn questions Annette,” Wooyoung cried. He could sense his best friend’s frustration growing.

 

“Please, just lend me the money so I can go home,” she pleaded. “I promise to pay! Just money for the train ride, nothing more, nothing less then I’ll be out of your hair.”

 

The more she pleaded the more he grew curious. Something was starting to nag at him. She was clearly hiding something. And he wanted to find out what it was.

 

“You said you watched my concert for Anna. Did she send you here?”

 

“No—“

 

“Then why are you here by yourself?”

 

“Nothing! Okay! Just please—“

 

“No, not until you tell the truth.”

 

“I am telling you the truth.”

 

“You’re hiding something. Did you run away?”

 

“I didn’t!”

 

He rubbed the bridge of his nose, his patience wearing thin. Quickly he made a decision.

 

“I’m not lending you the money.”

 

He watched as her face fell.

 

“I’m going to drive you home myself.”

 

“What?!” she cried after a moment of shock. “You can’t!”

 

“You think I’ll let you take the train by yourself at an ungodly hour?”

 

She sneered at him.

 

“I didn’t know you had time to spare,” she replied.

 

“Alright,” Wooyoung snapped. “That’s it! You can either take the help or we are walking out of here. Or you know what, here’s a better idea, why don’t we all just call Anna so she can pick you up. After all, you did say you are here because of her. She can come—“

 

Her face had drained of colour and it shocked him, even Wooyoung. She quickly bowed her head and stepped away from them.

 

“Just forget it. I don’t need your help anymore.”

 

Before he could say anything she quickly walked to the counter and dialed the phone. He heard her call her mother, saw her accept her mother’s anger. When she was done with the phone call she was hunched dejectedly. He was at a loss with her actions. He and Wooyoung exchanged confused looks. What made her change her mind? He walked to her, his curiosity killing him.

 

“You’d rather face the wrath of your mother than accept my help?”

 

“What are you still doing here? I said I don’t need your help anymore.”

 

“One last time Annette, what’s going on?”

 

She looked at him defiantly.

 

“What’s going on is I made a mistake calling Wooyoung for help.”

 

His anger flared. All of a sudden he found himself feeling resentment towards Anna. He’s been in arguments like this before. He scowled at Annette.

 

“Fine! Don’t answer. You’re just like your sister. So ing immature.”

 

He saw the anger in her eyes but he didn’t give her any chance to react. He pulled Wooyoung out of the police station and headed straight to his car. Later, when he was back on his bed he wondered briefly if he had done the right thing in leaving Annette by herself. But then again he remembered. He and Anna are over. She was no longer his problem. He no longer had to think of her.

 

And yet…