People

Ill + Ill

CCTV Footage 06/01/10 – Private Compound

 

A blurry video image starts and shows an unknown person running pass armed men. The person is wearing a blue hooded jacket and in the effort of running past his assailants, his hood falls down revealing a young man. None of the guards seemed to intend to harm the young man however he goes as far as climbing a wired fence. Ignoring their shouts of “stop” and “get back here!” The young man continues climbing up the wall. He pauses just as he reaches the front of the camera, sticking his tongue out and uttering a giggly ‘loser.’ He jumps down the rest of the way and gives a parting wave before slowly disappearing out of the camera view.

 

The men following him do their best to catch up but it is unknown whether the young man was able to disappear or not.

 

CCTV Footage 11/03/11 – Outside XXXX Secondary School

 

A busy street just outside what seems to be school premises is seen as well as shops and a large amount of people young and old. An inconspicuous young man is seen crossing the street. The young man is hunched, head covered with a dark beanie black or navy in colour. He seemed to be wary of something as this young man repeatedly looks back every few seconds as if he was expecting someone to be following him. A group of boys enter the camera feed and one of the rowdy young men nudge the lone teen. He is immediately suspicious but after a short, unheard exchange the young man joins the group before disappearing from the feed.

 

UNKNOWN Private Residence 20/08/16

 

A group of men knock on the door threateningly, behind their polished suits and jackets, one can see their concealed weapons. A few beats and the door is opened by a young woman around her twenties. She had long dark hair and her face contorted into fear as she laid eyes on the men outside her home.

 

Young woman: Can I help you? We both know the deadline isn’t until the end of the month. (Her voice is shaking but she tries to appear strong.)

 

One of the armed men: Our boss wanted us to remind you exactly that. 11 days until the deadline. No more extensions or excuses.

 

Young woman: (Irritated and slightly worried. Her eyes widen and her hand is clenched into a fist.) We know. We’ll deliver. At the deadline.

 

A different armed man: Just so you understand. (This man seemed bloodthirsty. He slams his gun in the closest window, prompting the woman to scream in surprise.)

 

The men proceed to vandalise the outside of the house, breaking anything in their sight, impervious to the woman’s screams and pleads of mercy. They leave once the woman has fallen down in fright and half the property has been destroyed.

 

 Kwon Jiyong and Seunghyun Choi – Café  20/08/16

 

It was quite a change when Seunghyun and Jiyong decided that they would spend some of the money without asking questions. Jiyong was initially suspicious and convinced it was some sort of scam but with the help of Seunghyun’s fearlessness, he soon learned to enjoy the perks of their newly found riches.

 

Such perks being a new flat that the two of them now owned. The two of them had co-signed the papers and Jiyong was secretly delighted that Seunghyun had suggested to put them under both their names. It felt like he was cementing their relationship, yet to be labelled and it made him happy.

 

Jiyong also learned that Seunghyun had a habit of spoiling him and now that he had the resources to do it more often, it felt as if Jiyong had suddenly acquired himself a genie. He was currently getting his hair processed with Seunghyun’s encouragement. His formerly dark locks were now a bright shade of red, making him quite bashful particularly when people commented on Seunghyun’s and his matching bright hair.

 

“Here’s your order, sir.” A waitress appeared out of nowhere, delicately placing a tray containing a tea pot and cups along with milk and sugar for him and his missing friend. Jiyong was supposed to meet Seunghyun here ten minutes ago but the other had yet to make an appearance. Impatient for the other, Jiyong poured himself a cup of black tea, no sugar and for Seunghyun, a cup filled halfway with milk and two sticks of sugar before pouring the hot tea on top. Seunghyun has a bit of a sensitive tongue and would wait until its cold to drink anyway so if he does this, he can cool the drink just right for when his friend arrives.

 

A few more minutes of waiting and Jiyong finally spots his friend from the window of the coffee shop he was sitting at. Seunghyun had made it some sort of fashion trend to only wear suits or something similar wherever he went whether it be clubbing or in the college lectures they barely attended despite paying for the course in full. Today Seunghyun was sporting a striped khaki blazer and dark slacks, for some reason, he was also holding what seemed to be a cane. He looked like he was wearing a pimp costume and Jiyong barely stifled a laugh when he approached him doing the moonwalk and moving his eyebrows up and down. “Yo, my man.” Jiyong greeted.

 

“Jiyongie… Looking great as usual.” His breathless voice, whether from the dancing or a different reason had Jiyong looking down with a smile. Seunghyun always had a way to make Jiyong flustered with his jokes or even in his most sincere times. “I prepared your tea for you.” He finally said, pushing the cup in his direction, startled when Seunghyun his fingers lightly with his, uttering a soft ‘thanks.’

 

“So uh, we need to talk about the note sometime I suppose.” Seunghyun started. “I have a friend who knows a bit about what’s up in that place. I think what he told me might be useful?” He looked up at Jiyong who only offered a reassuring smile. “I think any info might be helpful to us at this point wouldn’t it?” He added in a supportive tone.

 

“I mean, there isn’t really anything we could do right now? There’s no further contact from that person…” Jiyong added, taking a sip of his tea and accidentally getting a bit of it on his top lip. Before he could even wipe it off, Seunghyun’s finger was there, wiping his pursed lips gently. Their eyes met and Jiyong could only smile bashfully before moving away with a giggle that Seunghyun shared. His heart was beating really fast especially when Seunghyun moved his hand to caress his red cheek. Jiyong thought this was the moment. His shy friend was finally going to confess and they would leave happily ever after together. “Jiyongie…” He started, pausing and exhaling before starting over again.

 

“Jiyong-“He was cut off by the sound of an incoming notification on his phone. “Ah, sorry. I’ll just check this…” Seunghyun was reading something from his message while Jiyong watched, wondering what was up especially with the furrow in Seunghyun’s eyebrows.

 

“What’s up, hyung?” He asked quite worriedly but Seunghyun just smiled, barely a quirk on his lips but more of that slightly crazed look in his wide eyes. Jiyong was both mesmerised and dreading it.

 

“There’s something happening in the XXXX Street, Jiyong. Let’s check it out.” Seunghyun stood up, not even waiting for Jiyong as he exited the café.

 

UNKNOWN RESIDENCE – XXXX STREET

 

“Ah, hyung! You were just saying-” Hurriedly, Jiyong paid for their drinks and ran after his slow friend who had no idea how to get to the street in the first place. “Aish, this way.” He led him, taking his wrist and walking fast towards their destination. What he didn’t expect was that they were headed to what seemed to be a home that had been attacked. There were glass and wood splinters everywhere and it was obvious that someone had terrorised whoever lived in the house.

 

“Hyung, we should call- Eh? Seunghyun hyung wait-“ Jiyong was surprised when his friend headed in what was formerly the doorway, entering the premise with no preamble, stepping over splinters and debris like a curious child. Having no choice Jiyong followed him, not about to let him get himself in danger. He jumped over fallen furniture and broken house ornaments, entering deep into the house which seemed abandoned.

 

“Hyung, seriously stop going ahead and-“

 

“Who’s there?!” Jiyong turned around to see a young woman holding a knife in her hands and was immediately nervous. “Ah- I’m sorry I’m not-“ He stuttered, eyeing the knife in her hands and moving backwards until he hit something from behind. “Jiyongie?” It turned out to be Seunghyun who hasn’t seen the girl yet and thought Jiyong was talking to him.

 

“Wait, G.D. and T.O.P?” The girl asked, startling the two. She had a relieved look in her face and had dropped the knife with a loud thud, directing Seunghyun’s attention to it. “Whoa! Who the hell are you?”