Chapter 2: Hercules

Bad Romance: Heart over Head

HELLO DEAR READERS♥! HOPE YOU’LL ENJOY CHAPTER 2! IT HAS TWO PARTS TO IT ^^

 

______________________________

Chapter 2

______________________________

 

Part I

♫ All She Knows by Bruno Mars

______________________________

Waist-deep in thought, Even did not realize the hand that attempted to slap her across the cheek. Saved by Danson from the assault, Even blinked rapidly finally aware of her surroundings. She innocently questioned Danson why he had grabbed Ella’s hand so suddenly. As if scalded by scorching water, Danson let go of Ella and missed the disappointed look on Ella’s face. The other friends surrounding them just shook their head in amusement at the trio. However, Cyndi and Rainie sighed as they look at each other knowingly: they knew that Danson had a crush on Even for as long as they could remember.

_The flashback_

Year 1 of junior high

The rain pelted drip by drip before it turned into a gush of waterfall making its way down the window. “Darn it. It rains on the day I forgot my umbrella!” Danson sulked. He had just finished his duty rooster alone and was on his way out of the class when he spotted two figures that stood side by side in the centre of the hallway. He slowly made his way along the same corridor and when he finally was able to see their faces, he frowned. Apparently, it was Chun and Even. Upon a distance, but still undetected by the two, Danson stopped walking. He hid himself behind a nearby pillar and waited.

“You should not have gotten into that silly fight. You know how much I wanted to show concern but I just can’t do it without raising suspicions,” spoke Even. Chun gently looked into her eyes. “I know. I was only acting on impulse. I can’t stand the way Rick made fun of you. I really did not mean to tackle him that hard. I thought I made sure of the strength I put in,” said Chun with a hint of anger.

“But please don’t do it again. You’re lucky today because Rick’s just a dwarf,” reprimanded Even. “Okay fine. But if he crosses the line again, he won’t be going home with just a broken limb. Anyway, you looked tired, go on home. I still have to finish my work and hand it up to the teacher. I’ll call you at 7 okay?” Chun said sweetly and pecked her forehead. It was something new they both shared.

 The two teenagers made their separate ways with new explored feelings but did not notice the shadowed intruder. Danson’s heart ached so much that it seemed the weather felt much warmer compared to his heart. He had kept his feelings for quite some time. He thought that if he could be a good friend towards Even, she would finally notice him. But then he could see that he held no reservation in her heart. For all she knows, was Chun’s love. Unable to experience the pain alone, he called upon his trusted friends. A few hours later in Rainie’s bedroom, Cyndi and Rainie sat together with Danson in between them. The two girls listened, shared a moment of shock and empathized with their friend’s misfortune. From then on, the three were closer than before. Danson made them promise him to never let the secret out until he was ready to let Even know.

_End of flashback_

Cyndi and Rainie was shaken out of their stupor when they heard Ella’s shriek, “Even!”

She had slapped Ella’s back so hard before she ran for the shore. Hebe and Genie laughed out loud as they witnessed Ella’s face going down towards Danson’s bare chest. It was a sight to behold, and lucky for them, Cyndi had videoed it all. Rainie who was busy trying to catch a bug that landed on Danson’s back, accidentally bumped him forward. A roar of laughter erupted from Cyndi as she closed-up on the two friends that literally fell on each other: not missing the part where Ella kissed Danson’s chest as she fell on him. “Yes! My next blackmail,” Rainie said overjoyed. As the sun went down, it painted the sky red and orange. They eight friends were quiet as they sat together on the shore side by side. Each of them savored the moment and silently prayed for a better year ahead.

 

______________________________

Part II

♫ Dance Inside by The All-American Rejects

______________________________

 

The following day, Even was awakened from her slumber by Rainie’s call. She had invited everyone over for a gathering: reasons unstated. A few hours later, Rainie’s house bell rang and Danson ran to open the door with his left hand still full of ketchup. “Hey girls! Bags in the room upstairs and please get ready to change to your swim suits. I’ll be at the barbecue pit. Rainie’s in the kitchen,” Danson quickly explained and left as quickly as he came. Usually, this random party only happened whenever Rainie’s parents are out of town. Mr. Yan was out for business trips while Mrs. Yan accompanied him. The girls took turn to change in the bathroom and Even was the last to change. While everyone was already in the backyard, Even was having a hard time tying the knot on her swim suit.

She slipped on her beach shorts and walked out of the bathroom still fumbling on the knot when she almost tripped down the stairs but a hand stopped her momentum. Breathlessly, she thanked her saviour and turned right round to face a chest, not a face. A very well built chest that made her swallowed her saliva, twice. “I expected a thanks but it seems like you’re still out of breath,” an angelic voice spoke to Even. Her face turned beet red then she gathered up her courage to look up. The action almost made her fell backwards if it was not for the boy holding her. A real-life Hercules, thought Even in awe. “I would love to stay under your pretty gaze but if I were you, I would make sure I hold on to that strings,” the boy gestured at her loose knots on her back. She quickly went back to trying to tie the knot but failed miserably.  With a chuckle, the boy offered her help. He tied the knot in a matter of seconds before he sent her a dazzling smile. “Thanks. I didn’t know Danson’ brought a friend here. I’m Even by the way,” Even told him. The boy looked at her for a moment before he replied, “I’m Jiro, glad to meet you.” The new acquaintances made their way together down the winding staircase and out into the back yard.

The party had already started: Ella was running around the pool with Hebe hot on her tail with a plate of what seemed to be green whipped cream.  Selina and Genie was playing monkey in the pool. Cyndi with her video camera, acted like a good reporter: telling future audience what was going on in a backyard full of hooligans. Rainie and Danson looked serious with the barbecuing: both of them hated getting all sweaty but the griller heat was inevitable. Even ran towards the duo and skidded to a halt behind them. She was about to tap Rainie on the shoulder when Rainie turned right round with a hot pan of clams. Steam and spice penetrated her senses all at once: it left her hard to breathe. Before the pan could damage her, she felt herself being lifted off the ground and swung away from harm. The sudden steam that penetrated her eyes made her eyes teary and Jiro panicked as he thought Even was crying. “Oh damn! Sorry babe I didn’t see you! Thank goodness Aaron you saved her. Are you okay Even? Hello?” Rainie prodded Even’s shoulder. Unable to wait longer for her friend’s respond, Rainie had to go back to help Danson with the meal.

Meanwhile, the arms that held Even loosened slowly- as if reluctant to pull away. She wished they stayed for she missed the feeling of a hug from a man. A light frown graced her beautiful features as Aaron’s arms left her completely. She turned herself around. Her eyes that were still clouded with tears gazed upon those bright brown eyes again. The boy lied about his name? But what for? She wondered. As if he read her thoughts, Aaron leaned upon her ear. He spoke softly so that only she could hear: “Sorry about lying but I dislike being called a kid by jie’s adorable friend. Please wear a safety gear next time. You’re one magnet of trouble missy.” Before Even could give a smart comeback, he walked towards the pool with his long strides and made a graceful dive. Still on the same spot, Even touched her chest and felt her heart’s erratic beating. That’s the second time he saves me, she thought smiling to herself. She wondered if Rainie would not mind if she stayed over the whole day. After all, she might just ‘accidentally’ fell into the pool and need CPR. Wonder what his lips felt like, it looks so soft up close, she giggled not noticing the amused gaze from the pool's direction.

 

______________________________

End of Chapter 2

______________________________

 

 

OTOKE? good or no good?  P.S.Thankyou for the subscribes