You’re okay, I promise.

Kim Jinwoo Drabbles

(61) You’re okay, I promise.


You weren’t exactly having the best day, or the best week, or month to be exact. Assignments and group projects were piling up before you even knew, and with finals just around the corner you’re running around senseless, pretty much failing at juggling school and your part time job. Scratch your social life out of the equation, its existence ceasing ever since study week started and kids at school didn’t really care much for anything except for caffeine and cheat sheets.

Everything felt heavier. Almost like the weight of your worries over endless expectations, responsibilities and the entire world were anchoring you down to the floor, wishing that it might as well swallow you whole because you’re barely keeping up. Exhaustion slams you like a ton of bricks and it feels impossible to just lift your leg one after the other as you make your way up the stairwell back to your room.

Your roommate was nowhere in sight, probably drowning in a stack of books back in the stuffy campus library. You tread blindly across the living room, fumbling the door handle to your room and carelessly dropping your bags to wherever it landed. It felt more overwhelming today, your motivation closing down to zero and your nerves in a bundle over things that you couldn’t keep track of anymore.

Sleep knocks you out in a matter of seconds, you couldn’t remember how or when but your eyes fluttered open at a dull thump of something hitting your carpeted floor. Still drunk with sleep, you weren’t sure if it was a dream but the figure you know all too well meets your drowsy sight. And silver hair?

“I’m sorrygo back to sleep.” His voice, light and warm, tugs your lips to a lazy smile, still convinced that you’re dreaming because Jinwoo can’t possibly be here, he’s out of town.

He picks up his phone off the floor, stuffing the device into the pockets of his jacket and carefully goes back to your study chair, only to stop at your outstretched arm, hand clasping to empty air as you signal him to come over.

Jinwoo laughs quietly and you wonder if you missed him this much because it sounds too real, “You’re here?”

“Yeah, I’m here.” He hums, settling on the edge of your bed as he takes hold of your hand and your vision blurs once again, tears b the corner of your tired eyes. Jinwoo says nothing, his shoulders softening seeing you this way and he shifts his weight, propping sideways to pull you in close to his chest.

It only made you choke back your tears, the scent of his aftershave hits you close to home, only blubbering something incoherent that sounds like how did you get in?

“Your roommate let me in.” He whispers into your hair, and he’s rubbing soothing motions on your back, “But you were asleep and you looked exhausted so I couldn’t wake you up.”

“You should’ve, I missed you.”

Jinwoo plants a smile just by your temple and you’re trying not to ruin his shirt with all the crying.

“I missed you too, but I have better chances waking Minho up than you.” He scoffs out a chuckle, tracing a thumb over your furrowed brows. 

You’re too caught up in emotions to think of a witty comeback, wrapping your arm around his neck as you curl up against him, feeling like something’s right for once.

Despite his hectic schedules and being miles away, Jinwoo was completely aware of how tough it’s been for you. Always one to slip in a late night call to check up on you, usually ending with the sound of you snoring from the other end, realizing that he’d been talking to a wall the last hour or so.

“Bad day, hm?”  

“Something like that.” You murmur into his neck, brushing your fingers through his hair something that comforts you, and him. “I’m a mess, Jinwoo.”

He shakes his head quickly, protesting to what you just said. Jinwoo pulls back to look at you properly, delicate eyes roaming your face in something you couldn’t pinpoint and you don’t miss the skipping of your heart.

You’re okay, I promise.

 

 //