Now or Never

The start of our STORY

She didn’t care is she’s still in pyjama. She definitely didn’t care that she only wore a black cardigan on top, with a pair of mismatched slipper that she knows belongs to someone at her house. She also didn’t bother to check whether her purse is inside her bag or not, heck she didn’t even took her bag out from her car. She burst inside only with her phone and car keys. Jihoon walks faster to the counter. “Leah, where’s the new patient? From the accident.” She asked, swallowing the bitter fact with pain.

The young nurse gasps, and Jihoon knows she looks miserable. Not that it matters anyway. “Umm, he’s still in the operation room. But Dr. Park said that you should head there immediately after you arrive.”

Jihoon nods her head. “Thank you, Leah.” She rushed to the emergency room, turning blind eye over the looks that some patients or maybe visitors threw at her.

As she arrives, Dr. Park left the operation room, some blood on his green uniform. “Dr. Lee, thank god you’re here.” He told Jihoon to follow him to the counter. The male doctor took the clipboard on top of the table. “I need you to sign something.”

Jihoon creased her eyebrows. “Why? Did something wrong happen to my brother? Is he alright?” her eyes starts to tear up, tears threatening to fall.

Dr. Park sigh. “I can’t say much about that. It’s not a good sight after all.”

Jihoon bit her lips. “50-50?”

Shook head. “More like 30-70. Pieces of glasses in his heart, some broken ribs and a fractured leg. He already lost lots of blood. Even if he passed this state, it’s not guaranteed. I’m sure you understand.”

Her hand automatically shot up on , a tear falls to her cheek. Jihoon took a deep breath. “I-I… where do I need to sign?” she asked, voice cracking. She held back from becoming a sobbing mess at the emergency. With a shaky hand, Jihoon gave the permission to cut his brother open.

Jihoon silently watch as the doctor went back inside, a lonely tears made it’s way again to her cheek.

 

She still hang her head low, her hands constantly wipes her tears away. Seokmin has her arms on Jihoon’s shoulder, trying to calm the girl down. Jisoo sat in across her, talking to Jeonghan through his phone. The mother-to-be couldn’t come. Taehyung went to the café with Minghao five minutes ago to buy something for Jihoon to eat. They could tell that the young doctor didn’t eats anything since she arrived 5 hours ago. Some buns might be enough.

The light on the OR sign turned off. The operation has ended.

Seungcheol, being the closest one since he’s leaning on the wall, lift his head up as he approached the door. Dr.Park took of his mask, a sigh of relieved escapes his lips. He scanned the waiting area, eyes on the slumped figure on the chair with her head hang low. “Dr.Lee?” he called.

Jihoon’s eyes shot open at the mention of her name. She stood up, ignoring her phone that fell down and half run to the doctor still clad in the green gown. “How is it?”

“It’s a success. But, as I told you before, the percentage isn’t high. I’ve done everything I could, we could only pray for him.”

Her shoulder drops again at the news. Shutting her eyes shut, Jihoon let out a shaky heavy sigh. “Thank you, Dr.Park.”

“It’s my job. I’ll put him in the ICU for further inspection.” He said. He excused himself.

Seokmin pulled Jihoon to the seat again, hands never leaving her shoulders as she rubs in circles. Jihoon starts to tear up again.

There’s so much thing going on in her mind right now. It’s already bad enough that her parents are currently not in Korea, and if she were to lose her only siblings, oh god. She couldn’t imagine it at all.

His face tensed. It pained Seungcheol to see Jihoon in this kind of state. He’s aware that the girl still despised him. Their reunion last week proves it. She didn’t even give a glance at all, let alone greet him like what she did to the others. And if Seungcheol tried to approach her, she’ll just excused herself, saying that she need to make a call, go to the ladies, and some other unreasonable excuse like she need to refill her drinks even if her glass of juice was still full. What should I do? What am I supposed to do to fix this, Jihoon? You didn’t give me a chance at all.

“Jihoon.”

Seungcheol was snapped from his train of thoughts. He turned to his left, eyeing Jisoo, waiting for the next words that’ll come out.

“You know that Yoongi is strong, right? He’s a strong guy, I’m sure he’ll made it through. Don’t worry too much, okay.” He speaks softly, trying to soothes the girl.

She lifts her head. “Jisoo, I know that he’s strong. But still, it’s a risk. Even the operation itself is a risk. He had a ing glasses in his heart! How am I not worried?” her voice cracked at the end.

“I know. I’m aware that you know about all this things better than I do. But still, miracles do happened. Just keep praying that he’ll be safe.”

Before she could replied, her name was called in a loud screeching scream.

“Jihoon!”

Four pair of heads turned to the source. Seungkwan, followed by Hansol and Mingyu half jogged towards them. Hansol and Mingyu went and greet their friends. The Jeju Island girl pulled Jihoon in embrace. “Jihoon, be strong!” she let go of the shorter girl, but kept her hands on Jihoon’s shoulder. “No matter what happen, we’ll always be by your side. Don’t forget that.” Seungkwan stated firmly, staring deep into Jihoon’s brown eyes.

Jihoon tears up again. “Seungkwan, I’m scared. I’m so scared. What if he couldn’t survive? What if he gives up? What if he died? I’m scared, Seungkwan.”

Seungkwan bit her lower lips. Securing her place beside Jihoon, she pulled the girl’s head, letting it fall on her shoulder. “Don’t think like that. Keep on praying, Hoonie.” She Jihoon’s waist length hair. The doctor kept on crying.

 

 

Her sniffles could still be heard even when she’s sleeping. Tears streak stained her pale face, eyes puffy and nose still red from crying too much. Seungkwan took off her jacket and drape it over Jihoon’s body lying on the sofa in her office. “Thank you, Seungcheol, for helping.”

He shrugs. “Don’t mention.”

She makes sure that Jihoon was really asleep. “Can we talk?”

“Sure. Let me call Vernon first.” He turned around, hands reaching for the doorknob.

“No.” Seungkwan cleared . “He doesn’t need to know about this, though I’m sure he already know.” She gestured to Jihoon’s workspace. “ I just need to confirm something.” She sits down on Jihoon’s chair, with Seungcheol sitting across her. A small smile formed on her face. A picture of them, their whole small group of friends. All 19 of them plus Dino since that brat managed to get in the frame on time, placed on table, a picture of Jihoon’s parents, and a picture of her and Yoongi.

Seungcheol just watch how Seungkwan’s finger moves on the picture, as if admiring an excellent work of art.

“You know, she never forgets about you. Not even once. Not even when you bump into each other two years ago.”

Honestly speaking, he was taken aback. “Excuse me?”

“3 weeks before our final exam, for a week straight I had to hear about you. You do this, you do that, how you sulked when you can’t figure out the solution for Physics, how your face light up when you managed to explain about a question. It’s all about you.” She chuckled. “There’s this one time when I almost snap because of this. But she seems so happy, so I just let it aside. It’s the first time she looks so genuinely happy about other things aside food and Yoongi.” She sigh, lifting her face. “But a week after that, she broke. She literally broke. Like a broken sculpture that can’t be fixed anymore.”

Seungcheol stiffen. He knows exactly the reason. He keeps the silence, urging Seungkwan to continue.

“She didn’t talk at all for a day. Her face is blank, almost emotionless. She looks like a robot, doing everything minus the emotion. She’s an iron lady, but she melts that night. When she thought that everyone’s sleeping, she cried. She didn’t wail, but uncontrollable sobbing. I’m awake, Jeonghan’s awake and so are Seokmin. I tried to ask her what’s wrong the next morning, but she shrugs it off. Saying that it’s nothing. And then we got the guitar incident. I kinda guessed what just happened.” Seungkwan sigh again. “Tell me, Choi Seungcheol. Are you going to fix this?”

He craned his neck, eyes falling on the sleeping girl. “I don’t know. Am I still in her life?”

The girl in front of him clicked her tongue. “Tchh, wrong question. Let me rephrase myself.” She took a deep breath. “Are you trying to win her again, or just trying to break her even more?”

He didn’t have any answer for that.

 

 

---

“Congratulation, Jihoon. You beat me to it.” She grin, head poking through the door.

Jihoon rolled her eyes, earning her a slap to her forearm from Taehyung.

“Bride don’t roll their eyes like that!” she screech. Eyeliner in her hands, she told Jihoon to stay still as she skilfully traced the black thing on Jihoon.

Seungkwan slip inside the fully decorated room, amazed by the interior decoration. “Hey, this is so pretty. I want my room to be like this too. Who’s the designer?” she flopped herself on the couch.

Jihoon blink her eyes, trying to chase the itchiness away. Taehyung will murder her if she dared to smudge the eyeliner. “It’s Sohyu noona, my workmate’s wife. I can give her number if you want. Tae Tae, it’s itchy.” She whined, making a face towards the girl that was busy deciding which eyeshadows colour she should use.

Now its her turn to roll her eyes. “Bear with it for a while, you kid. It’s just today that you’re going to be this pretty. It’s once in a lifetime.”

Pout. “Well, if we divorce then I’ll have another chance.” She murmured.

Seungkwan’s eyes widened. “Lee Jihoon! You’re not married yet. And you talk about divorce?! My gosh!” she fanned herself using her left hand. Such a drama queen.

“Sooner or later, it’ll happen. I’m sure of it.” She keep her stoic face, ignoring the shocked Seungkwan or the fed-up look that Taehyung beens giving her since 10 minutes ago when she blurted out that she didn’t need to pretty on her own wedding day because she didn’t ask for the wedding.

Jihoon sigh again. She already lost count of how many time did she sigh the first time she agreed to all of this. Her mind travels back to a month ago, when Yoongi was still on the hospital bed, wire surrounding him, and an oxygen mask on his face.

 

“Promise…me, Jihoon.” He struggled to speak, breath short than ever. “If there’s anyone that…I trust, it’s him.” Yoongi took a breath again. “If something were to happened… to me, at least I know… you’re with someone I trust. That’s enough for me, Hoon ah.”

Jihoon ran her thumb over Yoongi’s pale hand, eyes b with tears as she nods her head, promising whatever she could. “Hyung, don’t say like that. You’ll made it, and you’ll be by my side when I take the vow. I promised. But you also need to promise that you’ll be there.”

Yoongi flashed a weak smile. “That’s good. If I were to die now… I’ll be in.. peace.” His eyes closed slowly, and Jihoon swore she never feel that scared before.

A string of knocks on the door snaps Jihoon out of her lane of memories. And she just realised that Taehyung already finished colouring her face. The door to her room opened, and Yoongi peak inside. A wide grin on his face. “Jihoon, are you ready?”

 The twin puffed her cheeks in annoyance. “Get out, oppa. Men are not allowed in here.”

Grins again. “Okay, my deary sister.” He disappeared from the door, only to poke his head inside again. “By the way, you looks so nice. Coups is lucky guy.” And he managed to close the door on time before a flying small pillow could hit his face. Laughter erupts outside.

She clicked her tongue. “That ungrateful brother of mine.”

“But you still love him.”

“He’s my twins. What do you expect?” she stands up, hands clutching all the frill stuffs on her white wedding dress. “Urgh, this dress is ing annoying. Why can’t we just do the traditional one? I mean, hanbok is much better than this, I don’t know, frills?”

Seungkwan taps on her chin, thinking. “Let me guess? Hmm.. Maybe because the groom side decided that the traditional style will be at theirs. And you agreed. That’s why, lady. Come on. We’re behind the schedule.” She hops down from the couch, pulling Jihoon’s hand and drags her along with Taehyung trailing behind, a simple tiara in hands. She’ll put it on in the car.

“Seungkwannie, I don’t wanna go~” she whined again.

“Whatever you say, little bride. Now let’ go. It’s now or never.”

 

 

-----

I'm extremely sorry for the lack of update! somehow just managed to survived a hectic month, with my final exam awaiting next month.

happy reading! do leave a comment! thank you!