Partners

Shy Guys for the Win

Wonwoo can't believe it. The most popular guy in the school has just been assigned as his lab partner, and he's still in shock. He’s also the guy that Wonwoo has been crushing on for two years; it was one of those infatuation from first sight type things. Wonwoo’s never even spoken to him though. He’s far too shy, so he just contents himself with watching him from afar and learning everything about him. Things like where he sits at lunch, who his friends are, the way he talks, and the way he kind of glows when he laughs or smiles. You know, the simple things.

Wonwoo fidgets in his seat, hands rubbing together between his legs. He's never sat this close to his angel Mingyu before and it's making him break into a sweat.

“I'm Mingyu.” The boy beside him smiles and holds out his hand.

“Ah-ah.” Wonwoo breathes heavily. “I-I know. I mean no, it's not like I've been stalking you or something. Ha… You're just popular so I know your name, yeah, that's it.” A blush immediately paints his cheeks. His life is over; Mingyu will never like someone who’s such a weirdo. Why is he like this?

Mingyu awkwardly drops his hand when Wonwoo continuously ignores its existence. He clears his throat. “What's your name?”

Wonwoo sits up straight and pushes his glasses up. Mingyu is still trying to talk to him, maybe his episode wasn't as bad as he thought it was. “Ah, I'm Wonwoo.”

Mingyu’s eyes light up in recognition. “Oh! You're that kid that's always the top of his class! I totally lucked out this time, getting you as a partner.”

Wonwoo’s breath catches. He lets his head drop to hide the redness covering his face. Mingyu’s happy to have him as his partner and that makes his heart skip a beat.

“Can I get your phone number?” Mingyu asks, sliding his phone across the table.

Wonwoo gulps and wipes his sweaty hands on his pants. This is moving so fast.

“It's just in case I need anything for class, I'm not coming onto you I swear.”

Wonwoo's heart drops a little upon hearing this, but he nods regardless and inputs his contact information.

“Just text me your name and I'll save your information.” He mumbles, pulling his sweater sleeves over his hands before he wipes at his nose. It's a habit he has when he gets a little down or embarrassed.

“Mm.” Mingyu nods, already utterly consumed in something else.

Wonwoo sighs dejectedly, dropping his head onto the table. He hides his face with his arms and closes his eyes. There's no way someone with Mingyu’s looks and popularity would ever like someone like him, a nerd. It was stupid to have any hope. Besides, this is the first time Mingyu’s ever noticed him.

“Wonwoo.” Mingyu shakes his shoulder. “Wonwoo, are you sleeping? The teacher is assigning a project, I think you should listen.”

Wonwoo sits up slowly, averting his gaze. “Ah, I was just spacing out.”

Mingyu simply nods and looks back towards the front of the classroom.
_______________________________

Wonwoo sneaks around the hallways of the English building during lunch, trying not to be spotted by anyone he knows. When he finally reaches the room with the ginormous rainbow poster on the door, he ducks beneath the window and listens in on the meeting. He's been doing this ever since he discovered that Mingyu is the LGBTQ+ club president. Another easy way to hear his beautiful voice.

Wonwoo sighs and hugs his knees to his chest as he listens to everyone talk about useless things and giggle. He wishes that he had the courage to step inside that room, but he really doesn't. He's so afraid of what people will do to him if they find out he's gay, and he doesn't want to run the risk of people from this club blabbing about him.

The raven-haired boy carefully peers around the frame of the door. All he needs is a single glance at his honey then he’ll be able to make it through the rest of the day. Wonwoo pushes up his glasses, glancing around the room until he's met with someone's legs.

In an instant, he loses his balance and falls forward, knees and nose smacking on the ground. Wonwoo squeaks in pain, scrambling to his knees. He snatches his glasses from the floor then grabs his bag. Should he crawl away or run? If he crawls, that person probably won't see his face.

Wonwoo fits his glasses onto his face and begins crawling away. That is until the person who caught him yanks on his bag and prevents him from moving forward.

“Yah! What do you think you're doing?” A familiar voice shouts. “Are you trying to cause trouble?”

Wonwoo stops squirming; it’s Mingyu’s voice. At that moment he can't find his voice and he can hear the blood pumping in his ears.

“You're not gonna answer me, huh?” Mingyu says aggressively, pulling Wonwoo up by his bag.

“I-I-I. No.” Wonwoo chokes out, feet swiping against the floor.

“You what?”

“Too shy.” He breathes heavily, feeling a panic attack coming on. “S-Sorry.”

“O-oh.” Mingyu lets go of him quickly. “I'm sorry I grabbed you, I thought you were trying to cause trouble for my club. From time to time, people do stupid things like throwing stink bombs or s into our room.”

“It's okay.” Wonwoo heaves, hands on his knees.

“Hey, your voice sounds familiar… Have we met before?” Mingyu’s eyebrows furrow together.

Wonwoo’s heart skips a beat. Oh my god. He's going to discover it's me. He’ll never want to talk to me when he learns I've been watching him.

“I probably just sound like someone else.”

“Maybe.” Mingyu thinks for another moment before placing a hand on Wonwoo’s shoulder. “Are you alright? Do you need to come inside and sit down?”

“N-no!” Wonwoo freaks out. He can't go in there. Mingyu will discover him.

“Nobody’s going to bite you in there. I promise.” Wonwoo swears he can hear Mingyu’s smile in his voice.

“They'll know. I don't want anyone to know.” Wonwoo wipes at his face nervously. He should really leave before anything happens. “I need to go…”

“Okay.” Mingyu lets him go. “Come back whenever you're ready. I know it's hard to come out.”

Wonwoo nods before he hurries out of the hallway. That was a close one.