Chapter Four.

Whispered Howls, Haunted Souls

 

It was foggy and dark. No one was around, but Ryeowook could sense that someone was there, observing him, while he took light steps around the area. He could not make out where he was, or how he was there, but all he knew was that the unsettling feeling stirring low in his stomach was a sign of a danger lurking around God knows where.

All of a sudden a figure passed by behind him.

“Who’s that?” He shouted, turning around but finding nothing but just darkness.

He could hear footsteps behind him – tap tap tap – but still nothing could be seen. The footsteps quickened, and heightened, as if it was running around purposely trying to confuse Ryeowook of where it exactly was.

“Who in the world are you?”

The footsteps continued being messy and loud, further frustrating Ryeowook.

“What do you want from me?”

The running and shuffling became jumping and Ryeowook was left shaking, literally from the effect of the jumps as well as the cold atmosphere of the area. But seriously, who in the world is this being and why is it bothering him?

Do I even know you?!”

The jumping stopped.
 
Everything became silent.


 
Ryeowook jolted awake.

 

 
His eyes flew open.

The sweat from his forehead trickled down to his pillow.

Bright light occupied his whole vision before it slowly adjusted and showed him the ceiling of his room.

 

It was a dream.

But indeed it felt very real, with the shivering mess he was even when he was bundled up under two thick blankets. He was even having cold sweat.

Moments after he got over his dream and realised he was in his bedroom, the first thing he thought of was Kyuhyun. He immediately turned over to his right to realise that the said person was gone. 

Once again he felt the fear creeping up inside of him.

Something terrible happened last night. He knew it, but he couldn’t exactly grasp the whole situation. All he remembered was the loud shriek that left his throat before being engulfed in a pool of darkness.

The second he got up from his pillow he was hit by an extreme pain that ran straight from the top of his head down to his feet. What had happened last night must have taken quite a toll on him definitely. As he struggled to sober himself up he noticed certain items that told him Kyuhyun have not left him all alone in the house. Somehow he felt as if he’s depending a lot on Kyuhyun, but then again he is his butler. Also – by now without saying it out loud – his personal assistant.

Honestly, without Kyuhyun beside him, he would not know to continue on in this house. As strong as he would seem outside, all that’s inside of him is a fragile heart of a young man. Still tender, not yet toughened up to be firm and strong. He heaved out a deep sigh when he noticed the noises downstairs.

The murmuring and slight commotion aroused Ryeowook’s curiosity. Was there a guest in his house right now? If so, why didn’t Kyuhyun inform him? He tugged on a cardigan and left his room.

 

As soon as he reached the stairs to the main room, he saw Kyuhyun pushing the door close, rather forcefully and in a hurry so. The face Kyuhyun faced him with after was also pale, as if he just invited someone who was not supposed to be here. Honestly, he did not mind any guests, as long as they were not people that he detest.

“Who’s that?” Ryeowook asked as he slowly went down the steps of the staircase.

He could see Kyuhyun quivering slightly so, answering with a nervous smile, “No one.”

Ryeowook did not really care anyway, so he merely shrugged his shoulders at Kyuhyun and headed off to the kitchen. What he need right now is a hot coffee or tea, something strong so as to kill off the splitting headache that wouldn’t seem to go away by itself soon.

 

--

 

Kyuhyun has a memory he had been trying to erase for years now.

Day by day it seemed to have been successful, some days he don’t even thought about it. 

But today, he will deem himself to have restless nights ahead.

His stomach sunk at the remembrance of the image of the young man that appeared in front of him just now, that slowly faded away with the air. Of course, sometimes he sees Hyungshik, but that was because he was constantly invading his mind with the thoughts of him. To have Hyungshik randomly appear before him just now was definitely a surprise. His hands began trembling terribly, and he held both his hands. He silently hoped that with this new job, he will never have to have attacks like this. Maybe having Donghae come over to help him was partly the reason why. 

He knelt down for a while, calming down his erratic heartbeat as well as mind, before standing up and walking over to Ryeowook in the kitchen.

 

The image that greeted him somehow pained his heart.

Ryeowook was there on the kitchen counter, his back facing Kyuhyun, stirring his cup of tea. He was also holding his left hand to his forehead, probably still dizzy from yesterday. Even by only his back visible to him at this point, Kyuhyun could clearly see the grief and tiredness the young man is experiencing right now. He really wants to protect Ryeowook. The memory of not being able to protect himself or other people back then remained a memory that he would neither want to repeat nor ever remember again. And with Ryeowook he hoped to at least relief his mind of it, even though he knows that whatever it is, his heart will never let go of the black memory.

Once again, he feels that every emotion he’s experiencing right now is mainly because of the attack just now. It’s sad how every time he tries to live a simple live, his heart will keep making him remember.

He reached from behind Ryeowook and stopped his hand from stirring, taking the spoon and cup away from him. Ryeowook looked fairly surprised, though his eyes were hazy, as if he didn’t even realise that he was making a cup of tea.

“Oh? Kyuhyun…” Ryeowook started and Kyuhyun slightly smiled. He held Ryeowook’s wrist and led him to the chair near the kitchen counter, prompting him to rest while he prepare everything.

“Just rest for now. Yesterday must have been quite a toll for you. You don’t even seem to remember that you’re making tea.” Kyuhyun went back to continue stirring the tea. He grimaced when he took a taste of the tea. “Do you normally like your tea strong?”

“Ah… no. But I want to relief my headache.”

Kyuhyun nodded in response and took a piece of bread and along with the tea, went to Ryeowook and placed it in front of him before sitting in front of him.

“Thank you,” Ryeowook said after a sip of the tea. “But… Can I know what had happened yesterday? All that I seem to remember is that I out…”

Kyuhyun scratched the back of his head. If he knew that Ryeowook forgot what happened yesterday, he wouldn’t have said those words that made him curious of what happened. He sighed. 

“It wasn’t exactly pleasant, and I don’t want you to remember it… Since you forgot about it already, I won’t tell you. I hope you’ll understand why.”

He took Ryeowook’s hands in his and pat them, holding them after.


After a while does he realise that it kind of seems weird to be doing that to Ryeowook.


He coughed and promptly retracted his hands from Ryeowook’s, and Ryeowook let out a small laugh.

“You’re softer than I thought you actually were.”

Kyuhyun laughed back. “My heart is softer than my words.”

 

They exchanged a series of conversations; ranging from parts of their life before, to their daily habits and stuffs, and that’s when Kyuhyun realised they actually got more comfortable with each other faster than he thought they would.

 

"I shall return to the living room to clean up. Please stay here and have some rest," Kyuhyun started and got up from his seat.

Ryeowook chewed on his lower lip nervously, his fingers fumblimg with one another while he stressed on whether to tell Kyuhyun what's in his mind or not. Afterall, they have only met each other for like what? - 2 days ago? - and being cheesy to him by saying thank you seems a bit awkward to him. But when Kyuhyun turned his back to him to get to the living room, his mouth went against his mind.

"Kyuhyun!"

Kyuhyun promptly turned towards him, facing him with a slightly confused face after hearing him calling out his name in a rather hurried and rushed tone, as if he won't be able to talk to him anymore if he went to the living room.

"Yes?"

They both exchanged stares for a few seconds, Kyuhyun slowly raising his eyebrow while Ryeowook's eyes just became rounder than ever.

"Yes?" Kyuhyun asked again.

"Uh, well... Kyuhyun... I just, uh... well, I... wanted to say thank you." Ryeowook nervously smiled, a lot wider than usual too, and Kyuhyun just rolled his eyes in response.

"Of course. Just please don't forget to pay me," Kyuhyun smirked.

Ryeowook knew he shouldn't have said his thanks earlier.

 

--

 

After what it seems to be a few minutes of being alone in the kitchen trying to recollect his thoughts from being too chaotic, Ryeowook heaved out a huge sigh and stood up, taking his cup along with him to the sink. The creak of the sink tap made him shudder. 

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO STAY HERE,' The words that appeared before his eyes the moment he went back home yesterday kept flashing in his mind.

It was true that he did not know exactly what had happened last night. But in his mind held several snippets of what had happened last night, and to reconfirm with them he had tried to ask Kyuhyun of the full details. And it seems that what had been circling around his mind since the moment he woke up was true based on Kyuhyun’s reactions. He noticed before he went to the kitchen that the wall that had those scribblings was clean. It must have been Kyuhyun. He smiled while cleaning up the kitchen of the small messes he had created back when he wanted to make tea just now. 

He definitely made the right choice to take Kyuhyun in as his butler. It must have been fate.

He patted his wet hands on his pants and went out of the kitchen, watching Kyuhyun walk here and there picking up books and papers that were scattered around last night without them knowing.

Sitting down on the couch on the living room, he silently observed Kyuhyun. He wished he was some kind of a mind-reader, so he would know what he was thinking of that moment. Did Kyuhyun hate him for taking him in and doing all these chores for him? Was he bored and thinking of robbing him off his money before running off to another country? He shook his head at his negative thoughts. Surely Kyuhyun isn’t that type. But then again, we never know. People can change overnight, like what he experienced first-hand.

When Kyuhyun placed the last book on the shelf, Ryeowook immediately called him out.

“Kyuhyun.”

Kyuhyun for a while looked surprised, probably too deep into cleaning the house that he did not expect Ryeowook to call him out so suddenly. Nevertheless he swiftly nodded in response and raised his eyebrows at him.

“Are you afraid?” Ryeowook asked.

Kyuhyun gave him a ridiculed look, seemingly asking him, ‘What’s with the random question?’

“No, but really, are you afraid? I mean… I know a lot of things had happened in just a span of two days. And you did looked spooked when we first entered this house,” Ryeowook explained himself.

“Well, it would be a lie to say no?” Kyuhyun started while walking to the couch and sitting next to Ryeowook. “Yesterday was terrifying, but then again, it could be a prankster doing all these.” 

Ryeowook nodded. “True…”

“I’m sure we’ll get to the end of this soon,” Kyuhyun said and in his mind he was cringing and mentally vomiting at his own words because since when did Cho Kyuhyun started being so cheesy and optimistic? He cleared his throat. “So actually… why did you come here?”

“Here?” Kyuhyun nodded at his question, prompting him to continue. “Ah, you mean this city and this house.”

Kyuhyun nodded again, this time slower and giving a bored look.

“Sorry. Well… it’s a very long story actually. And in my state right now I don’t think it would be a right time to tell you,” Ryeowook started, rubbing his forehead. He was still having a headache. “But for sure I’m here for revenge. Unexpected, eh?”

“I don’t know if you’re being real, but judging by the amount of money you showed me two days ago, it could be real. For what exact reason? If you don’t mind to tell me that is.”

“Partly because of my younger brother. He was kidnapped. Vanished off right in front of my eyes. I had nightmares every night because of him, now not so often,” Ryeowook held his hands while speaking.

“Er… I–I’m sorry for being insensitive. I’m sorry for your lost.”

“It’s fine. Really. I heard that he was being sold off to some brothel? Or some cult group? I wasn’t really sure because everything happened so fast,” Ryeowook smiled and turned to Kyuhyun. “So what’s your story?”

“Well I was an orphan. Living at the streets since young, living off scraps of leftover food or having nothing at all to eat. In order to survive, I joined the circus.”

“Oh! Was it the same circus I first saw you in?” Ryeowook questioned.

“Yes. And then I met you.”

“Aren’t you lucky to have met me,” Ryeowook cheekily said while elbowing Kyuhyun with a slight smirk on his face. Kyuhyun merely laughed and brushed it off.

“Oh how I wish I could have met Hyungshik earlier,” Ryeowook said dreamily and leaned back beside Kyuhyun, missing the tense in his veins.

“H-Hyungshik…? Who is he?” Kyuhyun asked. He can feel himself trembling; his heartbeat had started being erratic once again.

Ryeowook heaved out a huge sigh. 

“My younger brother.”

 

Kyuhyun sat there silent. Should he excuse himself so he could plan a way to never let Ryeowook know or should he just run away after stealing some of his money tonight? He decided to settle with the first one.

“Sorry… I forgot I had an appointment today. Mind if I excuse myself and return later?” He started, saying the last sentence so hurriedly he’s scared Ryeowook might sense something.

“Sure. But just be back before 5,” Ryeowook replied.

Kyuhyun immediately stood up and walked off.

 

Danger. What his mind is ringing in him is danger and red light. It seemed so smooth-sailing the first two days, until he got to know that Hyungshik is Ryeowook’s younger brother. 

Why? Why of all people?

He was just about to live a normal life, away from that disgusting circus.

And it was all ruined in a span of two days.

He groaned and walked around aimlessly around the streets. He wanted to grab some food or snacks by the streets but he forgot that he just went off without grabbing anything. Even the stack of money Ryeowook left on the table. For now he will have to plan something.

A great plan that would never go wrong.

The next step he took surprised him because of the scrunch of the paper below his feet. He grunted and took the paper off the ground when he realised the information the paper held.

WANTED: CHO KYUHYUN, AGE 26 YEARS OLD  
WENT BY THE NAME OF ‘Q’ AT JEUNE CIRCUS
IF FOUND, REWARD OF 100,000 

It even had a sketch of his face. 

He cursed under his breath. He knew he wouldn’t be able to get away as easily as that. Leaving a note and a few thousand on the table was never enough to satisfy them. Those sinners.

He can’t leave that house. At the same time he couldn’t freely roam around the streets without having to return back to the circus.

 

A lot of things began circling Kyuhyun’s hectic mind right now, most of them filled with ‘What did I get myself into?’

 

--

 

A/N: I really don't know if anyone is still reading this story because for goodness sake it had been left for like 3 years and I apologise from the deepest of my heart if anyone was waiting for the next update. I was struck with a writer's block for this story because I literally had no idea how to continue this because I never had a draft for the next chapter (It was probably deleted unconsciously). So what was originally planned for chapter 4 was probably really really different from this (I said in chapter 3's a/n that I was going to include romance for chapter 4 but... it's not here). The original plot was probably wAaaaAAaay different from the plot I have in mind now too. 

And I'm not going to lie.. maybe the next update might be in a month (or maybe... 3 months) time. But my goal is to finish this story.

To new readers, hello! ...I'm not promising anything... XD

To those that had returned after seeing the story update notif... I sincerely thank you from the bottom of my heart for coming back to read this chapter.

 

Until next time!