Chapter One.

Whispered Howls, Haunted Souls

 

A/N: Slight themes of horror is present here in this chapter.

 

The six locks clunk against each other when the strong breeze came in. Ryeowook held the key to the lock tightly before inserting them in his coat's pocket. He had placed six locks on the gate of his house, locking one after another so that if a thief might try and pick the locks, he would end up locking the three others. He brought no one else with him. Everyone had left anyway, even his best butler. His expensive shoes clicked softly against the cold ground as he walked before riding a wagon. Ryeowook placed his suitcase beside him before sitting sophiscatedly.

“Kid, your suitcase's one of a heavy kind. Where would you like to go?” The man asked, looking at his suitcase.

“To the train station, please,” Ryeowook replied.

“Going alone?”

Ryeowook hummed in response.

“Sad, isn't it, kid?” Ryeowook didn't reply or respond to the man's comment.

An extra tip was given to the man for not continuing his babblings as he got off the wagon when they reached the train station. He pulled out a folded paper with cursive handwritings as he walked into the train station. It was a house contract given to him by his late father.

“I bought a house for you in Paris, son. I know how much you love Paris as a child.”

“A ticket for a train to Paris, please,” Ryeowook said to the counter man and slipped the house contract paper back into his pocket.

The man showed a schedule to him, pointing to the '1.45 noon' train. Ryeowook figured out the counter man was mute. He nodded his head and gave the counter man money before taking the ticket in his hand. He checked his watch, showing that it's already 1.30. He heard the train's whistle from a distance. 'Is it time already?' He didn't bother to think more and immediately boarded the said train.

“Welcome everyone! Recently, the train station had some upgrades and here I am to entertain you.” A small girl came up by the center of the train, not far from the seat Ryeowook had sat on. “Luna's my alias name. I can sing, do magic tricks, anything you would like me to do!”

Time seems to pass by even faster as the breeze and the girl's voice comforted him. Without even being bored, he reached his destination, Paris. As soon as Ryeowook went out of the train station, people were cheering to him, “The circus will start in a few minutes! Hurry up before the crowd gets bigger!” He figured it wouldn't hurt to enjoy once in a while. He held the suitcase even tighter in his hands as he walked closer to the crowd building up.

“Please welcome our guest performer who goes by the name of 'Q'!”

A tall man came out, a smirk on his face as he introduced himself. A deck of cards was in his hands, him carefully shuffling the cards, displaying a few basic tricks before showing his full potential in magic. People cheered him continuously, a few tips thrown on his box. Even Ryeowook himself was impressed. Fire emerged in front of him, his eyes wide in surprise before 'Q' caught the fire in his hands, although it showed no sign of burns after.

The tricks he showed soon after convinced Ryeowook that 'Q' might be the right choice to be his butler. He needed someone who could protect him, trick people into believing him and someone who's reliable. Looks like he had found the right one. His show slowly ended with him bowing down, a smile on his face and picked up the box he placed before him. He walked away from the crowd, Ryeowook following after him.

“Marvelous,” Ryeowook commented, clapping for him.

“Thank you. May I help you?” 'Q' asked, straightening his clothes.

“I will need your help.”


**


“Kid, of all people in this country, why would you pick me as your butler?”

“My name's Ryeowook, not 'kid',” He sighed before continuing, “Truthfully, your tricks convinced me that you would be a great butler for me. Someone who could be my personal assistant as well.”

Ryeowook placed his suitcase on the table near them, opening to show 'Q' the money before closing them. “Now, would you accept my offer?”

A sigh could be heard, breaking the silence between them. “Sure, since the job is easier than here in this circus. My name's Kyuhyun, by the way.”

Ryeowook watched as Kyuhyun packed his things, his movements graceful. He surely found the right choice of person. He was reminded of his house contract and took out the folded paper in his pocket.

“Kyuhyun, do you know where this house is situated at?” Ryeowook asked, showing the paper to Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun's eyes widened when he saw the address.


**


The gate creaked as Ryeowook pushed it open. "Are you sure this is your house?" He heard Kyuhyun asked behind him.

"People have reported hearing things here. You know, those things," Kyuhyun said, brushing the dust on his shoulder.

The green bushes on the garden had grown out, covering up most of the said garden, making it look like a haunted mansion. Ryeowook opened the door to his house which he found to be unlocked. They both went inside the house, one hesitant while the other, curious. Outside may appear haunted, but inside was full of elegance and royalty. Both of them walk around the big house together, venturing to their own way before meeting at the living room.

"This house is bigger than I thought," Ryeowook spoke.

Kyuhyun placed his suitcase down just as Ryeowook placed his on the table. He looked around the huge mansion, noticing some cracks on walls and windows. The sun glowed warmly by the window, signalling that it's going to be evening soon. The warm glow shone softly on the grand piano that has been placed near the window, creating a soft ambience.

"I saw some tea packs in your suitcase. Will you make some tea for me?" Ryeowook asked.

Kyuhyun nodded before asking, "Do you have a kettle or something here?"

"I'm sure, I guess." Ryeowook walked to the kitchen, Kyuhyun following closely behind. Instead of a kettle, he found a pan instead. "This should make do."

Kyuhyun nodded as Ryeowook made his way out, leaving him alone in the kitchen. This job was definitely better than his torturous job in the circus. He heated up some water in the pan by the stove. It was not really working well, but it could make do. He opened up some cabinets, rummaging through it as he searched for some teacups. A shadow passed by him. Kyuhyun stopped searching, looking over the window to find the said shadow. He was sure he saw something passed by at the corner of his eye. Shrugging his shoulders when he found nothing, he returned back to making tea since he had found some teacups in one of the cabinets.

"Here's your tea," Kyuhyun said and placed a cup of tea in front of Ryeowook.

Ryeowook thanked him before asking him to sit as well. Although the house was bought a few years ago, it wasn't as dusty as he thought it would be. They began talking, from the topic of this creepy house (as said by Kyuhyun), to their personal lifes.

"You know, you're quiet but once your mouth opens, all the good impressions of you went flying away," Ryeowook said.

"Exactly what other people said of me too," Kyuhyun replied and chuckled softly, embarassed.

A sudden silence overtook their conversations, the distant sound of the crows flying away and their slow breathing could be heard.

"Are your family members still... here?" Ryeowook asked, breaking the silence between them and looked over at Kyuhyun before settling his cup of tea down.

Kyuhyun shook his head in response.

"The whole of my family left me too, leaving me alone here, with you as my butler."

Kyuhyun didn't get to answer Ryeowook because suddenly, the grand piano started playing a sad symphony.  

 

**

 

A/N: The first chapter of Whispered Howls, Haunted Souls! I hope it's not too long or short. I'll be posting Chapter 2 soon, and until then, do leave some comments and subscribe :) And thank you new subscribers! actually... i was pressured at the amount of new subscribers i had because i'm afraid i might disappoint you guys >.<

 

I would love to hear all your feedbacks! ~~ヾ(^∇^)

 

Also, Merry Christmas! :)

(credit to picture above: link)