Chapter 8: Interrogation

Divided
 
"What are your intentions, Tzuyu?"
 
Jihyo stood by the door as she watched Sana interrogate the girl. It's been hours since the interrogation began and yet they couldn't get anything out of the girl. Tzuyu would just keep mum whenever a question was asked, keeping her gaze on the girl by the door. Sighing, Jihyo signalled Sana to join her outside the room where the chief stood with the remaining members and the Director.
"This is taking too long! You still haven't gotten anything out of her—"
 
Rolling her eyes at the Director, Jihyo ignored the ranting officer and looked through the one way mirror to gaze at Tzuyu, who stared at the glass as though she could see Jihyo on the other side. The young captain knew what the Taiwanese girl wanted. She contemplated her choices before cutting off the Director mid-speech.
 
"Let me talk to her privately."
 
The man scowled at her, clearly not pleased at being cut off and at the idea." Absolutely not! Given your history with her, I would never-" He never got to finish his sentence as the chief stepped in. "Go ahead, Captain. Do you want us to leave?" Jihyo almost let out a sigh of relief. At least the chief trusted her. "Please sir. That would be great." 
 
As one man nodded, the other was enraged. "Chief Im! Are you actually agreeing with her?" The chief merely stared straight at the Director, causing the tension to thicken. It was clear that both men were not on friendly terms. "Yes I am. This is my bureau and I call the shots. Now let's go." Everyone cleared the area but the tension remained. Chief Im turned back as he shut the door.
 
"The interrogation is all yours, Jihyo."
 

--------------------
 

Jihyo got to work the moment she stepped into the room. Sitting down, she switched off both the recorder and camera before staring straight at Tzuyu who stared back at her. The younger woman looked terrible. Her clothes were still covered with dried blood, hair messy, eyes bloodshot and arm wrapped with a bandage. Pushing away her worries towards the girl, Jihyo took a deep breath and initiated the conversation.
 
"It's only us now, Tzuyu. Will you please answer the questions?"
 
"I thought you trusted me unnie," the younger girl spoke, her dark orbs filled with so much hurt that the young captain had to look away. "I did before you decided to betray the whole bureau." Lies, she thought to herself, You know you still do. "You promised you would though?" Jihyo could hear the pain in the girl's voice now, the words wrenching her already soft heart.
 
"Tzuyu, I asked them to leave so we could talk about the case, not our private lives," Jihyo replied. She had to change the topic before her feelings got in the way. "What if this is related to the case?"
 
"Stop fooling around, Tzuyu. I've gotten into enough trouble already." Her frustration was building. She needed to get things over with and fast, or the Director would come crashing in again. "The big boss right? He's never once left you in peace anyways," the younger girl muttered bitterly. "Why do you even care? There's nothing between us anymore!" The captain lied between her teeth.
 
There was a tense silence before Tzuyu spoke. This time however, her tone was as cold as ice. "The files. Where are they?" "What?" That statement caught Jihyo off guard, piquing her interest. "The file from Gfriend. Is it with you?" It was with her, but she had no reason to tell her that. "That's for me to know. What's it to you?"
 
"Don't let it get into the Director's hands," Tzuyu pleaded this time, her tone desperate urging Jihyo to listen. The captain's heart softened again, the younger girl's tone puzzled her. "Why not?"
"Just trust me please."
 
With that, Tzuyu refused to say any more. 
 

--------------------
 

"You really didn't get anything out of her?"
 
Shaking her head, Jihyo plopped down in her seat and buried her face in her hands. After the interrogation, Tzuyu was brought back to the cell and Jihyo received another earful from the Director. Now, she was back in the team's office where three worried faces greeted her. It was late out and the girls were preparing to leave for home. Jihyo on the hand decided to stay behind for a while.
 
"Are you sure you aren't coming?"
 
"Just go home without me unnie. I'll see you later." Nayeon nodded, patting the younger girl's head worriedly before leaving the room and closing the door behind her. When she was finally alone, Jihyo pulled out the folder in her drawer. The Director had asked her to send it to him personally. Highly confidential, he had said, no one should read it, including herself.
 
Just trust me please.
 
"Trust huh?" Jihyo muttered. 
 

--------------------

[Flashback]
 
"They're getting away!"
 
Jihyo quickly sprinted towards the figures that were escaping. The headquarters had been broken into and several important documents were being stolen. Unfortunately for the thieves, an alarm had been tripped, sending the officers in the building after the retreating figures. Spotting the masked figures, she quickly subdued the one closest to her, knocking it to the ground and pulling off the mask. However, all she got was the shock of her life.
 
"Tzuyu? What's going on?"
 
Panicked, one of the other figures attacked the stunned female. Jihyo reluctantly fought back, now knowing exactly who the thieves were. She couldn't bring herself to fight them, still puzzled by the turn in events, bringing her guard down. This allowed one of the figures to press a thumb into the pressure point near the girl's neck, subduing the young girl.
 
 Jihyo's body slumped into unconsciousness in Tzuyu's arms as Mina mumbled an apology to the older girl's unconscious form, not wanting things to be this way. "I'm sorry, unnie. One day, you'll understand." The sound of police officers were fast approaching. Pulling Tzuyu to her feet, the gang quickly ran off, leaving the unconscious girl behind as the tall girl whispered a few last words.
 
"Just trust me, unnie." 
 

--------------------
 

She stared at the cover, her conscience and mind were at war. Her curiosity telling her to read the file but her morals telling her to not. Unable to resist the temptation, she opened the folder and scanned its contents.
 
No way, she thought. Her eyes watered as she read the papers. Inside the folder were her family's private documents. Their records, photos of her and her late parents, a copy of their death report, it was all in there. Jihyo's mind was reeling. Why in the world would they need all this information? She finally understood as she continue to read through the documents. The plot for her parents' murder signed by the director himself as well as reports of the high ranking official's corrupt methods.