Chapter 3: Why

Divided
 
Beeping machines and the smell of disinfectants.
 
Those were the first things Jihyo noticed as she stirred awake. Slowly, she opened her eyes, squinting at the bright lights and pure white walls. She immediately knew where she was but that didn't make things any better.
 
Why am I in the hospital?
 
The side of her head and face throbbed as the medication began wearing off. Grunting from the pain, she slowly tried to move, only to notice a hand clutching tightly onto hers and a figure asleep beside her. Sight still blurry, she blinked repeatedly until everything came into focus and she could finally recognise the sleeping figure.
 
Nayeon unnie.
 
Instant relief washed over her. She was safe for now. Tightening her grip on the older girl's hand, she watched as the woman groggily woke up. Nayeon rubbed her eyes and stared at Jihyo, trying to comprehend the situation. Her eyes widened upon realising that the younger girl was awake. A grin formed on her lips, showing her bunny-like front teeth as she called out the younger girl's name.
 
"Park Jihyo! Never scare me like that again."
 
Arms wrapped around the injured girl, pulling her into an embrace. Jihyo smiled and returned the hug, holding onto the older girl like her life depended on it. She could feel her shirt go damp. Her partner was always overly sensitive and it made her tear up too. Ever since she lost her family at a young age, Nayeon was all that Jihyo had left in this cruel world, the older girl's parents having taken her in when her relatives refused to. They grew up together, standing up for each other, watching each other's backs. It's no wonder that Nayeon was this worried for the younger girl.
 
"I'm sorry unnie." 
 
"Do you remember what happened?" Nayeon asked as she pulled away, wiping away the tears on both their faces. Jihyo thought about it for a while, eyebrows furrowed as she tried to remember how she ended up in the hospital. It suddenly hit her as scenes from the other night flooded into her mind. The chase, the confrontation, the kiss, everything before she out. Her mind was left reeling from the memories.
 
Nayeon watched the multitude of emotions wash across the young officer's face. She held onto the younger girl's hand, her thumb the bandage clad knuckles causing Jihyo to snap out off her daze, wincing from the pain in both her head and hand. Smiling apologetically, she gently put down the hand and questioned the girl.
 
"Does it hurt? I'll go get Somi. Is it alright if I leave you alone?"
 
Noticing the pained look on the Jihyo's face as she nodded slowly, Nayeon immediately stood up and went to look for the young doctor. She was reluctant to leave the young woman alone but she didn't have much of a choice. Watching the younger girl space out as she closed the door, she shrugged of her worry and hurried off to look for the doctor.
 

-------------------
 

Why did she kiss me...
 
Jihyo thought to herself once she was alone in the room. She wanted to kick herself for letting her guard down like that. She couldn't believe that the Taiwanese girl had managed to escape again. The police had been after Tzuyu and her gang fora while now, constantly on the look out for their next move, they did their best but the five of them still managed to get evade arrest. And yet, a part of her was glad they did.
 
Her thoughts went further back to the times before the act of treason was committed. Nine girls sitting together. Sana and Dahyun sitting together, being their usual touchy selves. Nayeon shaking her head while she watched Jeongyeon argue with Momo as she was only willing to share her jokbal with Mina. Tzuyu would just pat her head as she groaned at her inability to stop them. Occasionally, Somi would join them, taking a seat by Chaeyoung, adding more laughter to the already rowdy group.
 
Now all that were left were quiet meetings and longing gazes. Any confrontations between the two groups would end badly, usually with someone getting hurt, both emotionally and physically.
 
"They're convicts now," her mind told her, "The whole police department is after them." She sighed. It's been months since it all began, when she had woken up in pain and found out the news. But, still nothing made any sense. There was no motive, no reason for the sudden change in behaviour. The sudden betrayal had undeniably destroyed the spirits of the once indestructible team, leaving them but a shell of their former selves.
 
Jihyo, I'm sorry. I really do love you.
 
She knew the other girl meant those words. Tzuyu was one of the most honest people she knew. She couldn't lie even if she had to. It also didn't help that Jihyo could read the girl inside out, like an open book. Jihyo couldn't deny that a small part of her heart still fluttered when she saw her smile. She couldn't deny that missed the warmth of the younger girl's embrace. Maybe that was why the kiss managed to bring her guard down. The familiar pair of soft lips pressed against her own. Why couldn't things just go back to the way it was before.
 
Groaning, she laid back onto the mattress, another burst of pain reaching her head. The more she thought about the issue, the more pain she would receive. Where was Somi when she needed her. Her head hurt but her heart ached even more. Because she herself knew...
 
She still loved Tzuyu. Even if she wasn't supposed to.
 
 

A/N: Chapter three is up. Is the story alright so far? Thank you to all those who've read the story. If anything needs improving, please feel free to leave it in the comments below.