Mother and Master of Time

Family BBQ

Juhyun's eyes snap open, blinking rapidly to adjust to the bright sunlight streaming through the bedroom window. It takes exactly 1/18 of a second for her to realize that she's overslept and she springs up out of bed with a shout. This wakes her wife, Seulgi, who immediately launches into Defend and Attack mode, mistaken Juhyun's shout as a cry for help. 

"I'll chop your face!" Seulgi yells, chopping at the air blindly and half-asleep. 

Seulgi's outburst scares Juhyun who just huffs and throws a pillow at her wife. "Hey! I'm not being attacked. I just overslept."

It takes a moment for Seulgi to completely wake up and process everything, but when she does she lets out a sigh of relief and plops back down on the bed. "Ahhh, you seriously scared me," Seulgi says with a yawn, "What time is it?"

"It's 8:37 and we're supposed to be leaving at 9," Juhyun says. She starts pulling on the outfit she laid out for herself last night when she notices Seulgi slipping back into slumber. Juhyun picks up the pillow she threw earlier and smacks Seulgi again with it. "Hey! Don't fall back asleep! I need you to get ready and help get the girls ready."

Seulgi pushes herself up from the comfort of their bed and salutes her wife. "Aye aye, Capt'n!"

 

As she hurries down the hall to their oldest daughter's room, Juhyun mentally goes over her checklist. She's glad she made the family pack up everything last night or else there'd be no way they'd make it up to the cabin in a timely manner. Her sister would have a field day teasing her if they showed up late. 

Juhyun knocks before carefully opening her daughter's bedroom door. "Seungwan? Honey, are you awake?"

It doesn't take much to wake Seungwan up and being almost 13, Juhyun trusts the girl to get ready by herself. The hard part is getting the two younger girls up. Both of them are stubborn and headstrong and not morning people. Across the hall, the younger siblings' door is hanging halfway open revealing scattered toys and clothes that were supposed to be cleaned up yesterday. Juhyun tsks and shakes her head, not that she didn't expect this, and gathers up some of the mess after flipping the light on. 

"Wakey, wakey my little rays of sunshine~" Juhyun sings loudly. She steps up the bunk bed ladder to see her second daughter, Sooyoung, haphazardly sprawled starfish across her bedding and shakes her lightly from her sleep. When the little girl groans in protest and rolls over, Juhyun gives her a light smack before moving down to the bottom bunk where her youngest daughter Yerim sleeps curled up in a nest of stuffed animals. The little girl looks like an angel, giving Juhyun a warm fuzzy feeling and she smiles as she goes to sit next to her daughter, only to be shocked when Yerim jumps up at her with a "Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"

Juhyun screams in surprise and jumps back as Yerim falls back on the bed in a fit of giggles. "I gotchu, Mommy!" Yerim exclaims with glee. 

"You sure did, sweetie, but now let's put that energy into getting dressed so we can leave for the cabin," Juhyun says. She makes sure to give both the girls good morning kisses before leaving to make sure everything is in order so they can leave as soon as everyone is dressed. 

 

"2/3," Juhyun says to Seulgi as she passes her wife in the hallway.

"Sooyoung?" Seulgi guesses.

Juhyun nods. "Of course. Their clothes are laid out on the dresser next to their backpacks, and no plastic princess shoes. Those things hurt their feet if they wear them too long, not to mention they always loose or break one."

"Yeah, of course," Seulgi says with a thumbs up.

"Breakfast in 5," Juhyun calls over her shoulder as she heads into the kitchen. 

 

Seungwan is pouring herself a cup of coffee when her mother joins her.

"Good morning, honey," Juhyun says and reaches to give Seungwan a good morning kiss on the head. 

Seungwan dodges the kiss. "It's okay," she responds flatly and takes her coffee to the table where she pretends to drink it while she flips through a Cosmopolitan magazine.

Juhyun just rolls her eyes but leaves her be. Seungwan is going through her "I'm so mature" phase.

 

At 8:55 am, little breakfast sandwiches and juice are being handed out and consumed while Seulgi and Juhyun load all the extra little things. At 8:58 am, Seulgi is making sure everything in the house is off and Juhyun is packing the kids in. 8:59 am, Seulgi is sliding into the passenger seat while Juhyun starts the SUV. 9:00 am, Juhyun places the SUV into drive and presses the gas. She can't help the smug smile. Juhyun Kang is always on time

 


 

 

yallllll red velvets comeback has me so shook 

im so in love 

im ded

the song is such a bop

but also seulgi's haaiiiirrrr she looks so good