Thirteen

#07 | Taeny

PART 13

I shifted my eyes from my phone back to the metal trash bin across from the sofa I was sitting - quite rigidly on. I couldn’t focus. I couldn’t focus on playing a game on my phone nor typing a text. So what I did was I dropped my phone onto my lap and painfully leaned back into the sofa carefully. I wish Alessa was here so I could relax a little bit.

The only sound available in the room was the continuous clicking of the keyboard.

“Are you bored?” I almost jumped out of my skin.

“W-what?” My eyes glanced at her. “No.”

“I’m sorry you have to wait like this. I’ll try to be really quick ok?” I forced myself to look at her again and witness her apologetic expression.

“No. No it’s fine!” I paused when I realized that had come out a little too loud. “Please take your time.” I finished off quietly and the corners of her lips lifted up gently before she went back to typing her email. I mentally wondered when will I ever be ‘normal’ around Kim Taeyeon.

I fixed my already fixed hair and my eyes trailed to Taeyeon sitting behind her desk, her eyes staring intently at her desktop’s screen. Her lips were pursed into a straight almost grim-like line and her eyebrows knitted together.

I couldn’t really help but think of our age difference. We were so…different.

“Why are you looking at me?” She asked without picking her gaze up. Was I that obvious? I turned my face away and left her started babbling s.

“H-huh? What? Looking at you? I…I was…” My mind went into a frenzy trying to produce an answer that was reasonable and when I peeked at her way to see she had stopped working and was staring at me, the gears in me got stuck and died.

“Was?” Her face leaned calmly on her palm, a very tiny smile chiseled into her face. She was waiting for an answer. An answer I can’t come up with. I wanted to say ‘because you’re my girlfriend’ but hell yeah I can say that to her face to face.

“Nothing.” Blood flood into my face and I gave up trying to save my reputation.

“Why are you looking away? I never said you can’t.” She stifled a laugh and I jutted my bottom lip out a little. Why does she like to tease me so much?

“Hm.” My finger opened and closed my phone multiple times, avoiding her gaze. Her eyes were still there, targeted on my face. I can feel it.

I flicked my eyes to her and confirmed my thought.

“W-what are you looking at?” I asked flustered, my hands went up to touch my hair for no particular reason.

“You.” She said simply but it made my heartbeat turn into a mess.

“I-I know b-but-“ I couldn’t continue my sentence. I couldn’t continue when she has that lopsided grin hanging from her face.

“What? You were looking at me just now so it’s only fair.” I hated how she always has something smart as a reply. She never misses a beat.

I remained silent, trying to control the heat that was invading my face.

After a long time, I could feel her gaze leave and I inwardly sigh when the clicking resumes.

“Why are you sighing?” My eyes widened and my breath got caught in my throat again.

“Did it bother you that I was admiring your face? I’m sorry.”

“NO.” I nearly screamed in desperation. I didn’t want her to feel that way.

“That wasn’t it. Please don’t think that way.”

“Hm if something is bothering you, please tell me.” She replied and I nodded lightly.

Silence fell upon us and I was trying to come up with something to talk about. I was afraid that she was upset just now but I didn’t want to disturb her.

“Um…”

She hummed in response.

“Why do you sometimes where glasses and sometimes you…don’t?”

Her eyebrows went up probably surprised why I would ask such questions so randomly.

“Well, I’m myopic. I don’t wear glasses for fashion. I hate having them on.”

But I love it when you have them on.

“I’m currently wearing lens.” She suddenly stood up from her chair and came to stand in front of me. She bent down and placed her face a few inches away from mine.

“See?” She pointed her forefinger to her left eye and I moved my face closer to examine her eye.

“Ah…”  . Too close again. I just noticed and an alarm went off in my head.

I chuckled nervously and moved my face back but she was also moving forward at the same time. . Air. I need air. I couldn’t breathe properly and soon, my whole body was flat against the sofa, my little heart beating wildly against my ribcage.

“Er…” I began.

“Shh.” My eyes widened as she lifted her finger up to press against her soft lips. Lips I would gladly kiss and maybe we would just be doing that right now oh my gosh it was too good to be true.

I went silent, immediately obeying her action. I gulped and whimpered when her other warm hand came in contact with my cheek. She was observing me, her eyes gazing deep into my eyes and I never moved a muscle. Her orbs drifted down to my lips and back to my eyes.

It was so overwhelming and by now, she was almost above me, her strong sent masking my body while both her knees bumped into the sofa. I witnessed her slightly tilting her head and I shut my eyes, letting out a shaky breath. I could nearly feel her lips touching mine, just floating ghostly above mine. Just a little more but then I sense her pulling away and my eyes fluttered open in confusion and embarrassment.

Did our lips touch? I wasn’t sure. Maybe it did? Or was it solely my delirious hallucination? I didn’t know but all I knew was my fists gripping very tightly on the sofa.

“I bet you’re hungry. Let’s go eat.” Her lips pulled back showing her perfect rows of teeth.

I was on fire.

“…”

“Are you coming?” She quirked her eyebrows, her hand already placed on the knob.

She opened the door and I sprang up before bolting through the door, hiding my face under my palms. I heard her laugh resonated through the hall and soon, her shoes were thumping against the floor as she tried to catch up with me.

-

 

“So what are you craving?” She chimed in a joyous tune as she caught up to me, out by the curb.

I haven’t completely subsided from earlier and my brain wasn’t going back to work just yet.

“Let’s go for Japanese tonight.” She granted an answer to her own question and stuffed her hands into her pockets casually. Was she bothered by what could’ve happened just now? I don’t think so. It just makes me regret for not leaning in earlier and capture those lips as well as accomplishing my dream. It would’ve been pleasantly interesting to see what expression would pop up onto her face. But I was aware that I can never have the guts to do that and by now, I believe Taeyeon had already figured that I’m no gutsy girl.

“Why aren’t you saying anything?” Her innocent features came into my vision and I turned my face away to mask my pink face.

“Hey why are you looking away?” Her tone rose up a little and I shook my head rapidly.

“N-nothing.” I exhaled and managed to face her with a straight face praying to God she won’t give a comment about the odd color of my face.

“You’re red.” Thank you very much Lord.

“I’m not!” A screech escaped me and I began walking off to nowhere.

“You are! Is it about earlier?” I could hear her footsteps following me. I paced faster.

“No!” I was trying hard to save my dignity. Trying hard but failing hard simultaneously.

My feet came to a stop when she outran me and blocked my way, excitement could be seen swimming proudly in her alluring orbs. Thin strands of her blonde hair flew into her face as was formed into a childish grin, anticipating a reply from me probably to confirm her query.

“Really? Are you sure?” She moved her face to stay right in front of me and I had to take a step back to make some space. Too close will result in the instability of my body parts especially my cardiovascular organ.

“A-ah um.” I ripped my eyes away from hers. She cackled with laughter and I hit her gently on the shoulder. Who would’ve guessed Kim Taeyeon had this silly and childish side as well?

“Stop it!” I whined and my eyes squeezed shut.

“Hey hey look at me.” I heard her utter, her voice quieted down into one that was oozing with gentleness and softness.

“No.” I protested.

“Tiffany.” She whispered and I gave in.

I reluctantly opened my eyes and landed my gaze on her, hesitantly matching hers.

“It’s alright to be shy.” Her hand moved a strand of hair that was obscuring her face and tucked it behind those large exotic ears of hers.

“Although you are exceptionally adorable when you blush.” The tiny dimple at the corner of her chin appeared again and a gasp left me when she pulled me into a tight hug. Her palm rubbed my back up and down and I savored the few seconds of the embrace before she retracted her body. I didn’t forget to sniff in her scent- mind you.

“I know a place nearby. Let’s go.” She slipped her hand into mine and intertwined them warmly like it was the most normal thing in the world. But maybe it was. We were dating after all. That thought just made my body rocket to cloud nine automatically.

 

-

 

“I’ll have broiled eel with sushi rice.” My ears caught her making her order and I scanned harder through the menu. I originally wanted to take that but now that she had chose it first, I didn’t want to come off as a copycat. I remembered Taehyung mentioning about her obsession with eels. He was on point.

I sensed the waiter switching his attention to me and so was Taeyeon.

“U-uh I…I’ll have broiled eel with sushi rice too.” I hid my face behind the menu and that chortle Taeyeon gave out didn’t escape my ears.

“I’m not copying you! I just happen to like eels.” I defended defiantly and she shrugged.

“I never said anything.” She stated, her hand gliding over the mouth of her clear glass of water.

“We’ll have grilled salmon head and two miso soup as well.” She faced the young waiter and shot him a tight lip smile.

“Very nice choice ma’am and would you like anything to drink? Sake perhaps?” The young lad jotted down on his little yellow notepad and returned his gaze back to the both of us.

“What do you think?”

“I’m not…really a fan.” My finger took hold of the napkin and played with it.

“Me too.” Her lips tugged up and she handed the menu to the waiter.

“Water will be just fine.”

After he left, I kept my fingers on the napkin, the small pad of my fingers caressing it’s rough texture.

“So you said you have a thing for eels?” I faced up and met her gaze.

“Um yes. And I believe you also like them.” I chuckled lightly trying not to sound like a stalker. Her eyebrows shot up and came back down as she leaned forward, her hands folded on the table neatly.

“Yes I do. How did you know? Ah- that explains that lunchbox you packed for me.”

I blushed at the memory.

“Taehyung told me once when we went out for lunch together. He told me you said eels are a girl’s obsession.” I snickered and she did as well. My heart clenched pleasingly at the sound of her laughing.

“Oh really? Is that so? Well don’t you agree? And he said it was nonsense!” Her fists pounded very softly on the table and I witnessed victory flaring in her eyes. Does she know how adorable she was at the moment?

“Well I can’t disagree. That’s true.” I mumbled quietly, my head nodding to show my utmost agreement. My teeth gnawed on my bottom lip as I dauntlessly connected eyes with her.

“Taeyeon, talking about Taehyung…” I trailed off and immediately, the light in her brown bright irises vanished.

“No I haven’t told him yet.” She replied as if she already knew what I was going to question her. Her answer was rushed; I could almost interpret it as annoyed. Almost.

“Well…are you going to?” I was quite intimidated to ask her these questions but I needed to know. It was very obvious she wasn’t very fond of this particular topic but we have to discuss this. I don’t like it either but we have to get it over with.

“I don’t know. I’m not sure yet.” Her slim fingers combed through her short hair and she laid further back into the chair. I took that as a symptom of discomfort.

“But…I think he should know.”

“I understand. That, I am aware but I just don’t know how to break it out to him.” Her eyes displayed sadness as they searched mine desperately probably hoping to find a solution. But frankly, I didn’t know what to do too. I didn’t know what Taehyung’s reaction will be like nor how he will take it in.

“Do you want to hide it from him?”

“No.” Her answer was full of confidence and firmness. “No I will not hide it. I asked you to be my girlfriend and it was my decision. I will be responsible for this and take whatever will be given to me as a consequence. He just has to understand and I will make him understand. Please don’t worry.” She gave a broken smile and turned her head when our food arrived.

I could tell she was massively relieved the food came because her shoulders relaxed and loosened.

“This is so good.” She praised as she took her first bite. I mimicked her action and a huge grin bloomed onto my face as I chomped on the rice.

I swallowed and instantly scooped up a second spoonful of it. Everything that we just said earlier was pushed to the back of my head as the dish I was eating sent tingles to my salivary glands. This was my first time eating at this place and holy was it good.

It was when I was halfway through that I realized I was eating in front of Taeyeon and could possibly be under her observation. I gazed up and my ears turned into a dark shade of red when I noticed she had been looking at me the whole time, her plate remained the same as it was 10 minutes ago. Oh .

“W-what?” I was supposed to eat like a lady. I was supposed to act LADY-LIKE. And I managed to get carried away. Now I’ve embarrassed myself like a buffoon. How will she think of me now?

“What?” I asked again, one side of my mouth still stuffed with rice. I chewed quickly and swallowed it. I wish I could crawl under this table and hide forever.

“I think my new hobby would be watching you eat.” She suppressed a smile and my ears turned redder than it already was. Oh my gosh was I supposed to be flattered by that or embarrassed?

“W-why?”

“You look really cute when you eat.” Tiny butterflies took flight in my stomach.

I didn’t know what to say about that so I just kept on munching, my eyes staring intently at my plate. I wish I was invisible. Gosh just how red was my face? I couldn’t hide anywhere; my face was right in front of Taeyeon, shown in HD.

“Hey Tiffany.” She called out and I looked back up at her. Something glimmered in her eyes when she grinned and pointed at her chin. My eyes widened and I’ve never moved faster in my life. My face turned down to my lap and my hand dashed for my chin to get rid of the lone grain of sticky rice off. By now, my whole body was on fire.

“T-thank you.” I mumbled and stayed still waiting for the ground to devour me.

“It’s okay. Now let’s continue eating.” She announced and I pouted mentally. How am I supposed to eat peacefully after what had just occurred?

 

-

 

I know I haven't updated very recently and it's been unsually long. I feel terrible and I'm so sorry about that. I really am. I did try to squeeze in time to write each day whenever I can. I had originally wanted to write a lot more for this chapter but I didn't want to make you guys wait any longer. Again, I am truly sorry for the long wait. This chapter is very short and I'm not very pleased with it either. Nevertheless, thank you so much for reading and supporting this fic. Please tell me if there's any mistakes. Thank you. xoxo