Born Again

Finding Meaning

Slowly, I opened the foor. I saw my mom, down on her knees crying. Confused, I opened the door wider. Upon hearing the creak, she looked up ditressed. She looked at the knife in my hand and my bleeding wrist. She scareamed and slowly stood up, lunging forward towards me. Surprised, I took a step to the side as she fell forward, landing on her knees.

I looked down at her confused as she looked back at me with a tear-stained face. I sighed at the wreck she was and walked around her, closing the bathroom door without looking back.

Upon entering my room,I locked the door and blasted music, particularly Monster by Exo and My Style by Astro. I pulled out two large suitcases and began rummaging through my belongings.

One suitcase was filled purely with clothes and undergarments. The other had some pieces of clothing and a couple shoes but was primarily filled with toiletries and other girl products. It also contained momentos from my room: some stuffed animals, a picture frame, and a necklace which was still carefully kept in its box. I grabbed my school backpack and placed my laptop, its charger, my phone charger, a few notebooks, books, pens, and pencils. Letting out a satisfied hum, I dragged my suitcases and backpack downstairs.

I passed by the open door to the living room and saw my mother, more composed now, sitting on a plush couch. I scoffed at how she tried to maintain her image. After dropping my bags off by the dront door, I entered the living room, taking note of the bottle of scotch and empty glass by Mother.

"You're not leaving," she said as she poured herself another glass. Her voice was smooth but icy.

"Yes, I am," I calmly responded.

"No-" she slammed the bottle down, "you're not." There was silence as she sipped her scotch, and I looked at her indifferently. "I won't allow you to leave and tarnish the family name. Whatever you need, I'll provide. I've provided my whole life. I won't allow your father to come home to this mess you've created."

"I've created?" I restated in disbelief. "You cannot pin this all on me. This sadness and pain that I feel is an accumulation. An accumulation of all my years of living. In fact, I'm pretty sure that somewhere along my 16 years of living, I'd already died along the way." I felt myself getting frustrated.

"Eunj-" Mother started, but I immediatly stopped her.

"No Mother. You can't stop me. You can't suddenly care, not after all these years. This is me finding meaning in my life, finding people who will actually care when I'm gone. I turned to you for help, but you just turned away. You'd rather accept the pity of having a dead daughter than have the shame of having an alive, suicidal daughter."

"Stop please. I tri-"

"No you didn't. You didn't try at all. You turned away, ignored me. You could've listened, but you didn't. While I was locked in the bathroom, you could've called 119, but you didn't. You just waited for me to die. Now, I'm dead." I paused, huffing while clenching and unclenching my fists. Mother's face was hardened with alcohol and the truth as she didn't refute my words. "But don't worry," I started again after slightly calming down, "I'm not going to die just yet. Sure, my life living under you is over, but I'm just going to start anew. Of course, with your help. You'll merely go from being my mother to being my sponsor. Sponsor me to live. It's really not that different from what you've been currently doing. It's just that this time, we won't have to live together, and also, you won't have to pretend like you care." I gave a small, sad smile to the still woman. "Oh, and don't worry about your image. Just tell them you sent me abroad or am doing independent study or whatever."

Quietly, I my heels, grabbed my suitcases and backpack, and left. Right through the front door.