Seven

That Lip Balm Hunt [Hiatus]

 

Mina bid her friends goodbye as she walked out of the studio towards the research centre. The night was a bit chilly. She rubbed both hands to gain some warmth before burying them in the pockets of her coat. It wasn’t a far walk, only a few minutes to reach the place. It was a routine she had to go through every day and she was glad she didn’t have to exert more energy on just trying to walk from one place to another.

 

However, she can feel herself already becoming breathless just by walking a few blocks. Her health is deteriorating; she was diagnosed with anemia a few days before and it didn’t help that she’s getting emotionally disturbed by the frequent nightmares and visions she got, added with the passing out in the middle of nowhere too. She wonders what importance it poses by going for the daily checkups if she’s getting worse by the day.

 

She let out a deep sigh when she finally took attention of her surroundings. It has suddenly become eerily quiet; no one was walking except for her. She pulled her coat tighter, hastening her steps to reach her destination faster.

 

Just when she thought of the worse, a figure suddenly leaped in front of her.

 

“KYAAHH!!!”

 

The figure let out a loud hiss, fangs protruding from shock of Mina’s shriek before running away to the opposite direction.

 

“MEOWW!”

 

Mina cursed the cat, taking deep breaths to calm down. Just as she was about to regain her breath, a flicker of light from the dark alley caught her attention.

 

Her eyes widen from the sight.

 

“Y-You!”

 

A figure emerged from the shadow with a shiny katana on her hand. Mina remembered the girl but she didn’t know where they met. She was frozen in place, unable to move her legs.

 

“You have something I need.”

 

“W-What are you talking about?”

 

Mina glanced around, praying for anyone to pass through the empty road and perhaps save her from this crazy woman in mask.

 

“Don’t play dumb.” The person took a few steps forward, her katana already raised in front of Mina’s face. She gulped from the view, her legs shutting off as she plummets down the wet road.

 

“Give me that thing and I’ll spare your life.”

 

“What thing?”

 

Mina was almost close to crying. She doesn’t know what the person wants, she doesn’t even know if she has the thing or not. She scooted backwards when she felt small pebbles beneath her hand. Grabbing the stones, she threw them at the girl before getting up and dashing away from the scene. She runs aimlessly, only hoping the person won’t follow her. She turned to a corner, accidentally crashing onto a body.

 

“Whoa, there.”

 

Mina was thankful for whoever it was that appeared. She looked up, only to be mesmerized by the bright hair.

 

“Hi, we meet again.”

 

The person smiled. She didn’t know whether it was the smile or the bright hair that was blinding Mina, but she was speechless either way. Mina can’t remember if she knows this person or not, but she’s better than the one with a sword on her hand.

 

The figure landed in front of them, Mina being pushed to the back of the blonde.

 

The masked person pointed her katana, “Why are you here?”

 

Momo shrugged, “Well, the same reason you’re here, I suppose?”

 

She raised a hand before turning to Mina, “I need you hold this,” She handed out a pack of gummy worms, “And please find a place that is safe, for the both of you.”

 

Mina dumbly nodded, searching around for a safe spot before running to the back of a dumpster. She watches the figures standing in front of each other, all the while clutching the bag of gummies closely to her chest, hoping the blonde wouldn’t get hurt.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Momo’s POV

 

“Stop getting in my way.”

 

I shivered slightly, not sure if it was from the cold air or her cold voice. It might have been both. I popped a gum in my mouth, loudly chewing just for the sake of provoking her.

 

“Not missing me, are you?”

 

“Tch.”

 

She sheathed her sword before suddenly vanishing and appearing before my eyesight, a punch came straight to my stomach. I hunched and coughed from the blow, receiving another hit on my back.

 

“Ugh!” She’s fast, for sure.

 

“Out of my way.”

 

I spit out the gum mixed with blood, regaining my posture while wiping my mouth with a smirk. “Make me.”

 

Enraged, the girl rushed towards me with a flying kick. I blocked it, catching her foot in the process before slamming her to the ground. She twisted around, hooking her legs around mine, successfully slamming my back on the asphalt road.

 

Man, that’s gonna leave a bruise.

 

I saw her getting on her feet from the corner of my eyes. She raised her legs but I managed to roll away before the heel of her boot could crush my ribs. I got up, giving her a roundhouse kick. She counters with an uppercut before blocking my side kick, giving me rounds of jabs directed to my face.

 

“Need some help, buddy?” Jeongyeon offered but I merely laughed at her.

 

“That sounds tempting, considering you haven’t reached here yet.” I spoke to the earpiece after distancing myself from her. The roaring engine of Jeongyeon’s bike was loud, telling me of her whereabouts.

 

“But I’ll manage, like always.”

 

“Show off.” She snickered, “Save me some of the fun. I’ll be there in 5.”

 

“Eh.. It’ll be over by then.”

 

I grinned from Jeongyeon’s laugh. This fight is getting too long and I need to sleep early for school tomorrow. I rolled my eyes at the irony.

 

School.

 

Pffft. The things I do as an agent.

 

“Hey, why are you following the girl?”

 

“It doesn’t concern you.”

 

“You know what they said about second meeting?” The girl relaxed her stance, “We’re supposedly fated. It means, whatever you do, does concern me now.”

 

Her glares harden, unsheathing the katana before running on my direction. I leaped out of the way as the blade almost slashed me in half. I dodged her strikes and slashes, careful not to miscalculate my steps as it won’t only cost my limb, but my head too. Her movements were so fast, my reflexes need to match with her train of thoughts.

 

I think like doing maths all over, except this was not related to numbers. Or was it physics?

 

Eh.. your life is at stake here, Momo.

 

One of her slashes managed to cut a few strands of my hair. I rubbed my bangs, frowning at the loss of my precious hair. Deciding to quickly end things, I took out my gun and shot a few rounds at her. She easily deflected the bullets with her blade.

 

Whoa, that is a sick trick. I should ask Jihyo to add one in the inventory.

 

I got closer, slamming the of my gun to her face. Quickly pulling out the other gun with my free hand, I shot her thigh before giving a strong kick on her back. Even after getting wounded, she was still standing steadily. Her glaring had intensified by now but her eyes were focusing on something else.

 

I turned around searching for Mina, only for it to be a big mistake as I received a strong blow on my nape. I fell on my knees, but she stomped on my back, causing me to fall flat on my face.

 

She stands in front of me with her glorious stance.

 

“I’ve warned you.”

 

I grin, albeit the pain on my bruised cheeks, “I’m not done yet.”

 

“But she is.”

 

No.. Mina!

 

I pushed myself off the ground as she took slow daunting steps towards Mina with a slight limp on every step. She purposely drags her katana, the blade making a scraping sound with the asphalt road, just to scare the already shaken Mina. She raised her blade above her head, some incoherent words were spoken.

 

A scream reverberates in the alley way.

 

I quickly got to my feet, surprised when out of nowhere, a figure stood in front of Mina, catching the katana with bare hands. Not wasting time, I reached for my gun and let out a few shots. One of the stray bullets managed to hit Blackie as she slumped on one knee. The other figure took the chance to give her a kick, knocking her off in the process.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

I asked Mina after dragging myself towards them, my gun pointing to the girl wearing a catsuit.

 

Uh, did I miss a memo on a cosplay show or something?

 

“No! Don’t shoot her!” Mina put herself between us, “She’s a friend.”

 

We shared looks; the catgirl posed no threat to Mina as she raised both hands showing she’s harmless. I slowly nod, lowering my gun back to its holster. I approached Mina but the catgirl quickly pulled her back.

 

“Take one more step closer, you’ll be sharing the same fate as that one.”

 

She tilts her head to Blackie passed out on the ground. I let out a sigh and decided to do this another time.

 

“I was just about to ask for my gummies.”

 

Mina blinked before looking at the bag she was clutching to her chest. Reaching out my hand, she throws it in the air as I catch it. I opened the bag, popping one happily into my mouth. Seeing as there’s no more business with these two, I waved them goodbye and made my way to the one knocked out.

 

I was about to pull her mask and reveal her identity, only to be surprised.

 

She was nowhere, the only things left were her suit which automatically ignited with fire once I touched it.

 

I retrieve some samples that were still untouched by the fire for Jihyo to run a few analysis. I scratched my head at the complexity of things. The hunt that started with only a lip balm, had turned into something more complicated, it seems.

 

“Need a ride, Moguri?”

 

“That would be nice.” I cracked my neck, wincing at the pain. “But can we make a stop at the nearby drive thru? I’m hungry..”

 

I rubbed my stomach with a pout as Jeongyeon cracks up.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You saved me again.”

 

Mina whispered the words, hoping the cat lady beside her would caught it.

 

Of course she could hear it. She’s Catgirl. She can listen to sound from miles away if she put her thoughts and focus to it.

 

“I was passing by the neighborhood.”

 

Mina scoffed.

 

Of many neighborhoods, it seems like such a coincidence for the catgirl to be at the vicinity whenever she’s in trouble. Thousands of questions were running through Mina’s head. She never understands the reason why all these people suddenly appearing in her life one by one. First, it’s this person here. Now, there’s that blonde and the girl with katana. What was going in her past life that she had to face this weirdness surrounding her daily lives?

 

“Stop pouting.”

 

Mina glared at the girl, her pout deepens as the latter smile.

 

She sighed, glancing to the girl in the tight suit. “Really, who are you?”

 

“Catgirl..?”

 

Mina groaned. Each time she asked the question, the same answer would be given.

 

“I’m not your enemy, that’s for sure.”

 

“Why are you doing this?”

 

“That,” Catgirl poked the crease forming on Mina’s head, “I can’t tell you. Yet.”

 

She whispered the last word to herself. Glancing at her watch, she halts her steps. Sensing this is where they will part, Mina bowed slightly.

 

“Thank you, again, for saving me.”

 

She shook her head, the wavy light brown hair bouncing together. “Anyone would save a damsel in distress.”

 

Mina nodded and waved goodbye, the girl running to the opposite direction, leaping up the walls towards the rooftop. She puffed out air before turning around to get inside the building, hoping the air inside is warmer than here.

 

The girl in cat suit waited for Mina to step inside the centre before running off to the same direction she came from. Worried run through her veins with every step she took. She didn’t expect to see the people she cared for meeting each other in a life or death situation like earlier.

 

She reached the place, only to smell of oil and something burnt. Inspecting the place, she let out a relief breath.

 

”She’s still alive.”

 

Not wasting any more time, the girl run up the stairs of the fire escape, jumping with ease as she sprints through the cold air over the roof of houses and tall buildings with one destination in mind.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The sound of faint breathing filled the dark room; the only sound can be heard with a single ray of light entering through the small opening of the curtain.

The only sound that is comforting for the owner of the vacant room.

The only sound she prefers to listen to every day.

The only sound giving clarity that she’s still alive.

 

Aimlessly living without a care of the world.

 

She glanced at the flashing gadget by her side, lazily putting it near hear ear after turning on the loudspeaker.

 

“Hm?”

 

“How are you?”

 

She gulped, closing her eyes to numb out the pain on her bandaged wounds all over her body.

 

“Alive.”

 

“Hey, what did I sa-”

 

“Get straight to the point, unnie.” She cut off the caller. A long sigh could be heard.

 

“He needs you.”

 

She played with the end of her hair, fidgeting with her own question.

 

“What about her?”

 

“The last mission was… really bad. He wants you to do it instead.”

 

Closing her eyes, she cursed internally.

 

Of course, she thought. There’s no other reason for the call.

 

“Is she okay?” She paused, taking in a shaky breath. “Did... Did he do anything to her?”

 

She could hear the faint laugh from the other line, “As far as I heard, she’s fine. Why don’t you ask her yourself?”

 

“Mm.”

 

She ended the call, her hand scrolling through the contact which only has 3 people in it. Her thumb hovers over the green icon, before choosing the texting app.

 

 

 

I heard. You okay?

 

 

Yes, unnie. Don’t worry.

He did nothing.

What about you?

 

 

Good. He needs me today.

 

 

But you just got back and you’re still hurt.

 

 

I’ll be fine. Those people need to pay for what they did to you.

 

 

You don’t have to, unnie..

 

 

Get some rest.

I’ll take care of everything.

 

 

 

 

She slowly got up, the bandage wrapped around her body came unloose, joining the bloodied ones on the floor.

 

She looked at the mirror.

 

Most of her wounds had already turned to scabs, some already disappearing into scars. She should be thankful she was granted this ability; one might call it a miracle. However, she felt it was the opposite.

 

It’s like a curse.

 

A burdening curse that had brought her life into a walking hell of misery.