Five

That Lip Balm Hunt [Hiatus]

 

“Yah! Wait for me!”

 

“You’re so slow. Hurry up or we’ll miss it!”

 

“Are you sure this is okay?”

 

“Miss Hana was already snoring when we passed by the teacher’s cabin.”

 

“How did you know it was her?”

 

“I don’t, actually.” The taller of them grinned cheekily, a hand reaching out to her timid friend. “Chill. Everything will be fine.”

 

The other nodded, gripping the hand a little too tight for comfort.

 

The girls were running up a hill, the only source of light was the ray of moonlight shining in between the thick layers of leaves in the forest. It was almost midnight, but neither of them cared. Even if they were to get caught by the teachers, it didn’t matter.

 

“Uwah, this view is beautiful! Sugoi naa!”

 

“Isn’t it?”

 

“But I can’t see it.”

 

“The clouds are covering it but they will move soon.”

 

“How long do we have to wait?”

 

“Be patient.. it will be here soon.” She glanced at her watch, catching her friend out of breath state. “Come, sit over here.”

 

The older of the two laid out her plaid shirt, pulling her panting friend to sit on it. The latter saved a space enough for two, only to find her friend already sprawled on the wet grass in an ungraceful manner. Just the way she is, she thought.

 

“Don't sit there. You’re gonna get sick.”

 

“Nah. Dumb people don’t get sick.”

 

Her face was smiling, looking exactly like a fool. They’re bestfriends, perhaps the only friend she got. But she still didn’t understand how they can reached this state of friendship when both of them were total opposites. She’s quiet, boring, mute… well not literally, she just didn’t seemed to see any fun in talking with others, mostly those who made fun of her. However, this person here managed to broke her wall of tranquility by being an idiot who is loved by everyone. Including her...

 

“But-”

 

“Ah! Minari, look!”

 

Her head whipped to the front, catching sight of what seemed to be a large, round, pale yellowish plate with random grey spots showing itself in between the disappearing dark clouds.

 

“Is that... the supermoon?”

 

“Told you it’s gonna be huge.” Her friend said, chest puffed out.

 

was gaping, fascinated with the view. It was so big, it almost as if the moon was about to collide with Earth and ended everything. But it was too beautiful for her to think of calamity coming to end the world.

 

“Nee..”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Why was it called a supermoon again?”

 

“I thought you’re the brightest in your class, Minari?”

 

She pouted, causing soft giggles she’s so fond of to come out of her friend’s mouth.

 

“You know that the moon’s orbit is not perfectly circular, right?”

 

She received a nod, “The orbit will cause two things to happen to the moon; apogee and perigee.”

 

“What are those?”

 

“Apogee is the moon’s most distant point from the Earth and perigee is the closest point moon will get to Earth.”

 

“So you’re saying that the moon is in perigee right now? That’s why it gets so big?”

 

“Exactly, Minari! Sugoi, you really are clever!”

 

“Said the person who’s infamous for being the fool that actually knows about some cool fun fact stuff.”

 

She laughed while scratching her nape, “The first time I heard about perigee, I thought it was dog’s food.”

 

“Yah! You’re always thinking about food.”

 

“You need to eat a lot so you can grow strong and healthy!”

 

“Who said that?”

 

“Um, Miss Hana?”

 

“Liar! You made that up!”

 

“I did, kekeke.”

 

They watched the moon with smiles on their faces; one admiring the majestic scene while the other thinking of something unusual.

 

“Do you think it will fit me?”

 

“Eh?”

 

“The moon’s color.” She turned to her side, “I want to dye my hair with that color.”

 

“Won’t it be too bright for you?”

 

“Well, I am a bright and fun kid… right?” She grinned. “Besides, I want to make it as a memento.”

 

“Memento?”

 

“A memento of our time together so I won’t forget you.” She reached for Minari’s hand, her lips pressed together into a thin line. “And also for our first time of successfully running away from Miss Hana.”

 

They both shared a laugh, the other getting a punch for her lame joke. The color is going to be flashy and bright, but it resembled her friend’s bubbly attitude. She won’t mind seeing her friend with a yellow hair for a change. She already love her as the person she is. Nothing’s gonna change that.

 

“I think it’s gonna look nice.”

 

“Trust me, it definitely will!”

 

“Hehe… I can’t wait to see it.”

 

“You will be the first person to see it, Mina-...”

 

She studied her friend’s face, only to realized something. All this while, it was always blurry. Like a smudge on a window. She thought if she could look closely and get nearer, she can finally see how her friend’s face. However, the more she tried to get closer, that further her friend goes.

 

“Hey… where are you going, Mina?”

 

"No, wait! Minari!"

 

She wanted to shout, she tried.

 

"Mina-.."

 

Swirls of darkness starting filling the place, drowning her friend's voice and body away from her. Mina tried to reach out but nothing came out of . She was floating in a deep abyss before something hit her head..

 

 

 

“Myoui Mina!”

 

“N-NO!”

 

Mina opened her eyes, expecting to see the demon that was about to appear in her dreams, only to find eyes focusing at her and a pissed off teacher trying to keep his calm.

 

“Yes!" He retorted with a slam on the table, "You’re going to the principal’s office right now, Miss Myoui!”

 

“W-What? But why? I just slept and-”

 

“Miss Seo wants to see you!”

 

“Oh.”

 

He gritted his jaw, preventing himself from throwing the chalk in his tight grip. Mina didn’t know what fault she did to Mr. Kim for the PE teacher to hold grudges against her.

 

“What are you waiting for? Get moving!” He slammed the table again, urging Mina to be quick so he can continue his class.

 

Still in a daze, Mina gave him a quick bow before rushing out of the door. She let out a deep sigh.

 

“What’s wrong with him..” She thought as she made her way to the secretary’s office.

 

As she reached Miss Seohyun’s office, she was greeted by her assistant.

 

“Ah, Miss Myoui! You’re here, finally.” She stood up from her chair with papers on her hands, “Can you please wait for a while?”

 

“Yes..” Mina greeted back with a bow before taking a seat on a brown leather sofa. Her eyes followed the assistant as she peeked through the door and discussed a few things with Miss Seo behind the door. She straightened up when the lady with big spectacles faced her.

 

“I’m really sorry for asking you to come here but Miss Seohyun is preoccupied at the moment.”

 

“Ah, is that so..”

 

Then what am I supposed to do here? Wait until she’s free? Or should I just leave and-

 

“Oh! Before I forgot. I was asked to pass this to you.” She handed Mina a brown envelope, “It’s for Dr. Kim.”

 

Mina examine the envelope but only Dr. Kim’s name was written over it.

 

“Is it from Miss Seohyun?”

 

“Please make sure it reach him by tonight.”

 

The assistant ignored her question like she didn’t even heard it but Mina gave her a small nod, nonetheless.

 

“Yes.”

 

Mina was about to leave the place when the door of the secretary’s office open, revealing the elegant Miss Seohyun and a student.

 

“You can always come here if you want to ask anything.”

 

She didn't intend to eavesdropped, but she listened anyway.

 

 

“But won’t I be disturbing you then? You sure are busy.”

 

“I’ll ignore you if I’m busy.”

 

Savage..

 

“If there’s nothing else, you can wait here until one of the student council representatives arrive.”

 

Mina watched as the two interact in front of the door while she’s standing at the side. It would be rude to interrupt but Mina have to make her presence known or else she’ll be ignored like how Miss Seo stated earlier. It was no joke. She experienced it twice before, waiting silently at the couch like a statue when Miss Seohyun go back and fro between her office and somewhere else. It’s like she’s invisible.

 

“Umm, Miss Seohyun?”

 

“Oh, what are you doing here?”

 

Mina felt herself shrinking from the secretary’s appealing but accusing eyes with that expressionless front. She caught the glimpse of another pair falling on her but Miss Seohyun is more important right now.

 

“You.. called me here?”

 

“I did?” Miss Seohyun turned to her assistant before her eyes widen, “Ah, yes. But she’s already given it to you, right?”

 

“You mean this?” Mina raised the envelope in her hand.

 

“That’s right.” Mina can feel her body tense when the beautiful secretary put her hand on Mina’s shoulder, “Make sure Dr. Kim read this by tonight. It’s an important document.”

 

The girl nodded, “I will.”

 

“Uhh, excuse me Miss Seohyun.”

 

Mina turned her head towards the student interrupting their conversation. She was never familiar with any of the students there but she can remember faces. This one though, is not a common face in this school. She has a small round face, the fair complexion making her almost resembling a peach hidden by shoulder-length brown hair. She might be a foreigner, Mina thought.

 

“Who is she?”

 

“Eh?” Mina was taken aback by the abrupt question given by the new student.

 

“This is Myoui Mina. A senior in this school.”

 

“Oh! I’m a senior, too. Are we in the same class?”

 

Mina looked at her quizzically. What’s with the direct questions, she thought. Not only that, this girl has been awkwardly staring at her since she got out of Miss Seo’s room. And by stare, it’s like a really creepy stare with a small smile on her face. She’s not even attempting to break eye contact when Mina tried to avert her gaze.

 

“Yes.” Even Miss Seo was giving her a weird look as she eyed both of them.

 

“I don’t think I need the student council committee to be my guide.” The girl stood beside Mina and put a hand over her shoulder.

 

“I want her as my guide for today, Miss Seo!”

 

“Huh? But, Miss Mo-”

 

“See ya around, Miss Seo!"

 

Before the tall lady can interject, the new student had already dragged the stupefied Mina away. The latter could only blinked a few times before realization finally hit her.

 

“E-EHH?!”







 

----------------------------






 

It took Mina a lot of guts and patience to keep herself from blowing out at this new girl who has been walking around the school like she owns it. The girl was like an elementary kid; everything she saw, she would ask Mina, who reluctantly answered everything with a single word. Thankfully she’s not the type with high voice and likes to skip in her steps. This new kid is cool… for now.

 

They reached a secluded hallway in the upper floor where there’s only clubrooms. The class session is still ongoing so It’s empty and quiet. Mina took this opportunity to savor the calming silence of this usually crowded and noisy building, taking her time with slow steps as she watch the scenery outside which she didn’t get to enjoy during peak times.

 

“You really don’t talk much.”

 

“I don’t talk to strangers.”

 

The new girl chuckled lightly, “But we’re classmates.”

 

“You haven’t even been to the classroom yet.”

 

“Oh, that’s right!” The girl abruptly turned around, catching Mina by surprise at the sudden movement. “Why aren’t you taking me to the classroom?”

 

Mina can feel her blood about to boil, but still keep her calm as she faced the window with the huge tree outside.

 

“You’re the one who dragged me everywhere.”

 

“It just felt like you don’t want to go back to class straight away.”

 

Mina peeked at the laidback girl who’s mirroring her stance from the corner of her eyes. She was indeed not in the mood for class. Mina was never regarded as an honour student; she often skipped classes. But being the top three of her class made up for her tardiness. It’s not like she can’t do well, even the teachers knows her great potential, always pushing her to do her best.

 

She never felt belonged here, especially amongst the students. It was actually quite a given she accidentally met Sana on their first day here, her fellow Japanese nakama who surprisingly can get along well with her. But even if they are friends, there are some things Mina can’t share with Sana and that made her feel a bit lonely sometimes.

 

“Have you…” Mina started, her eyes still fixed on the trees. “Have you ever felt like you’re not really who you’re supposed to be?”

 

“Excuse me?”

 

Mina was surprised with herself. She didn’t know what took over her mind just now. They just met and barely knew each other.

 

The red head sighed, “No. Nevermind.”

 

She lead the way to the staircase, not caring if the girl followed her or not. The other eyed Mina’s back, watching the small frame of the girl with slumped shoulders dragging her feet across the hallway. The corner of her lips slowly curled upwards as she slowly trailed along from behind.

 

“Where are you going?” She caught up.

 

“Back to class.”




 

-------------------------





 

“Where’s everyone?”

 

“Probably already left.”

 

“Eh, why?”

 

Mina showed her wristwatch, “School’s over.”

 

“Ah! So they missed my introduction, huh?”

 

The silent girl ignored her as she tidy her things and pick up her bag. Just as she was about to leave the classroom, the new girl suddenly appeared before her and block the door.

 

“Are you leaving?”

 

Mina glared, ordering the girl to move just by her eyes. The new girl almost choke from the cuteness of it. She reached out a hand in front of Mina.

 

“I’m Moguri.”

 

“And I’m late. Can you move aside?”

 

Momo hid her smirk as she stepped aside. The other quickly walked past her but abruptly stopped when she felt her hand being pulled.

 

“Wha- EEK!”

 

She was harshly pulled backwards, Mina can feel herself about to fall to the ground. She braced herself for the impact with closed eyes. However, instead of having her bum slamming hard to the ground, she felt something else.

 

It was soft, and she felt safe. Secure.

 

She opened her eyes, only to met two pairs of gentle eyes staring back at her.

 

Momo never thought she’d pull off this move to a mere school girl, but her subconscious took control. She was speechless, even. It felt like they fit each other. How her hand wrapped around the red-haired girl, how their bodies mold perfectly.. Like a missing piece of a puzzle.

 

It might be drama and all, but Mina is already feeling hot and bothered. The bashful kind of hot and annoying kind of being bothered.

 

“W-what are you doing?”

 

“Huh?”

 

Momo was too engrossed with the schoolgirl, her mind is working a bit slow today. Now she understand why her teammates were gushing over the girl that day the agent rescued her. She examined the face, it was too perfect for a human being. Too precious for a frown to appear. Momo wondered what would her lips looks like when they turned upwards, or when those shy teeth showing. Must be lovely.

 

“Stop staring at me. You’re really creep-”

 

“Your lips.”

 

Bright red hue covered her pale cheeks, almost similar color to her lips. And her hair too… Cute.

 

“My l-lips? W-What’s wrong with my lips?”

 

“I really like them.”

 

Momo smiled, perhaps looking like an idiot while the other scoffed, though embarrassed.

 

“Wha…? Are you a e-”

 

The talk about lips snapped Momo back to reality. She’s still on a mission and the target is already here in her grasp. Teasing is fun, but priority comes first.

 

“I really like the color.”

 

“Eh..?”

 

The disappointment didn’t go unnoticed. Momo almost cooed, it was faint and subtle but she just witnessed a pout. Still adorable.

 

“Can I borrow your lip balm?”

 

The next thing she felt was the girl’s backpack meeting with her face, her view filled with twinkling stars. She grunted, only to be ignored.The angry footsteps slowly disappeared in the background, but she made no effort to get up. A lopsided smile appeared on her face as she closed her eyes.

 

The stars had long gone from her vision, only to be replaced with the beautiful angry face of a certain red head. A playback of their first meeting at Miss Seo’s room repeated in her mind.

 

Momo covered with a hand, hiding the wide grin forming on her face.

 

“Myoui Mina, huh?”