Back To You

Rewind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Did you really think that I would forgive you this easily? Accept that you're back yes, but everything else no. Not after what you've done. You know Mark, for you everything is always easy and simple but that's not how life is. And now please leave me alone, I'm tired." Said the younger firmly his eyes reflected his feelings. Mark could see how much injured the younger was though not externally but internally.
"For now, I'll go Jinyoung-ah but believe me if there would have been another way at that time. A way which would be good for both of us I would have chosen that one and not spent two years in America away from my family, my friends and most important away from you."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Mark had not expected to have his first encounter with Jinyoung at a coffee shop. At the hospital it would have been something else but how high were the odds in a big city like Seoul to meet someone in a coffee shop?
As Jinyoung walked past him towards the door almost running away from him, he didn't resent him for that action. The shock was written all over his face. Mark had imagined their first meeting way differently after two years. He had imagined how it would be to see the younger doctor again repeatedly in the past two years. What he would say to him.
He never would have thought that it would be: “It was my fault. I know I shouldn't read the news paper when I go somewhere. This is simply not a good combination." No, that really wasn't what he had wanted to say to him after all this time.

When after a few minutes he left the shop with an Americano in his hand an icy wind blew towards him. It was almost mid-February, and yet it felt still like the middle of winter. When he landed a few days ago in Seoul it even was snowing. It was a beautiful sight but he wished that it would soon getting at least a little warmer. The two years in L.A. had changed how he was affected with the temperature. He had two years of summer 'winter' in L.A. was nothing against the one in Seoul.

During those few days since he arrived he already finished moving back into his old apartment, if he could call it his own since it still belonged to his parents on paper. For the coming year he had told them that he would buy it to really make it his own. Because when it came to house decoration and furniture his mother had taken everything in hand even if she definitely had a good taste of what furniture, designs and decorations matched together, his taste was quite a bit different. He liked it when everything was uniform or maybe rather plain in one or two colors, his room in L.A. had shown this after two years too clearly. Most of his furniture was in white with simple black patterns, everything was neatly in place even the books on his shelf were arranged in the correct alphabetic order. He hated to see a book shelf that was in pure chaos and mostly would end up arrange it even if it would be a shelf of his friends.

With a steaming mug and newspaper in one hand and his large briefcase in the other hand he entered the hospital. He took a deep breath and the him just to familiar smell of the hospital spread from his nose to his lungs. During those two years he had found that every hospital had definitely like a specific smell or just feel to it. For people who work in hospitals they mostly could tell a slight difference in the smell from hospital to hospital. Seoul National Hospital had just a sense of familiarity to him. Something hard to explain to people who didn't stay as long there as he had. It also held so many memories to him that it just felt different to be back.

"Tuan!" A just too familiar voice called his name and had he heard it not just the evening before over the phone. Just because the person wanted to make sure that Mark arrived without any problems and so he would know when the other would appear in the morning to start working.
"Good morning Jacks." he spoke with a big smile on his face. With Wang Jackson he definitely had the most contact during the last two years.
Was it not Jackson who repeatedly had talked about Jinyoung. The last thing Jackson had told him was that the younger had gotten into the department of pediatrics (he was now under the supervision of Jackson, poor kid). The chief doctor of pediatrics locked him in a tight hug and let out his typical hyena-like laughter.
"Oh old friend, it's good to have you back. You have no idea how much trouble our freshman have caused me till now." he spoke as he let Mark go. This made Mark only grin at him, he could imagine just what they could have caused, because Mark and Jackson had really not been the quietest in the first four years either. Clear Mark was the one who was more quiet but still looks can be deceiving, each of their professors and fellows had eventually let the comment fall that he was a sly dog. Which his best friend would always agree to.

And as if they had heard it, a number of obviously freshman stood behind Jackson and all of them looked curiously at Mark.
"Don't just stand around!" This time he heard a different voice from his right side. Im Jaebum, no now definitely Dr. In Jaebum stood beside him, eyeing the group behind Jackson.
It was obvious that Jaebum was now responsible for the freshman's studies.
"Dr. Tuan! OMG! Are you back or is this just a short visit? We didn't know that you would return to Seoul. How have you been? We heard that you were in a research lab in Amerika." another voice, another voice which he recognized immediately. Dr. Choi Youngjae stood grinning broadly next to Jaebum. And Mark guessed that the smallest of the group had already had around 3 or 4 cups of Americanos because of the way he was all hyped up and well just awake. Youngjae leaned slightly forward so he could look into the older doctor's eyes.
"I'm back." Was all Mark said and a snort came from his right side. Although he could not clearly say who had made that sound but he would bet his last shirt that it came from Jaebum. Without another word Jaebum grabbed Youngjae with one hand and one of the freshman with the other hand on the collar of the gown they all wore and walked away.

"I believe Jaebum is ,next to Jinyoung, going to be the hardest to earn back their trust for you dear friend." Said Jackson. As if he wouldn't know that himself. Jinyoung and Jaebum were already before their study began close friends. And it was not hard to see that that didn't change during the past two years. The two had been exactly like Jackson and Mark almost inseparable. Where one of them was the other was not far away. What the situation did not improve because if Jackson would have to go through the same as Jinyoung, Mark would not easily let the person approached his best friend that fast again.
The only good point at the moment was probably Youngjae, the little sunshine seemed very happy to have Mark again. Maybe it would not hurt to talk more with the younger. He was definitely Jaebums's weak spot and so he hoped he would get one tiny step closer to Jinyoung. If he was getting on the good side of Youngjae the smaller would maybe help him out a bit. Yes that sounded like a good plan.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


A bit late Mark finally made it to his locker, for his first day back at work in Seoul National Hospital. It felt weird for him to wear the normal doctor's gown again. In the last two years in which he had been working on a research analysis, he and his colleagues had worn slightly lighter gowns. Another reason for that was the warm weather in L.A.
Yes, he preferred the weather in Kore

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter