Chapter Five

Most Definitely, You

17/

 

“Alright, I think everyone has an idea what we’re doing here, am I correct?”

 

Youngjae was answered with a couple of uninterested hums of affirmative that he could not help but glare at the two other guys in front of him. He does not know why and if anything he should be the one who should be in their position right now since this meeting was not his idea at all. So why is he the one receiving this reaction right now, when all he intends to do was to help these two helpless souls?

“You could be more enthusiastic with your answers you know?” Youngjae said with a huff, which was not answered with a response. “Weren’t you the ones who asked for my help in the first place? Why do I seem to be the only one who seems excited about this right now?”

Jaebum rolled his eyes as he showed Youngjae a piece of paper. “Do you really have to outline our ‘meeting’, Choi Youngjae?” That offended Youngjae for a second. It took hours for him to finish that outline and the only thing he wanted was a little bit of appreciation. He wasn’t asking much. Why are these two so ungrateful? “Jackson and I asked for your assistance to help us with Mark and Jinyoung and this…” He pointed to Youngjae’s beautiful eleven page meeting agenda outline. “This is not helping, Youngjae. This is a term paper!”

Jaebum’s outburst earned a few disgruntled looks from the other students and of course, their lovely librarian. Bless her. However, that does not seem to deter Jaebum as he continued to glare at Youngjae from across the table.

“Well, I’m sorry if you cannot comprehend my level of intellect then.” Youngjae said smugly. “And if I do not do this, then who else will? What are we gonna do? Are we gonna lock them up in a room like what you did before, Jaebum? I think Jinyoung and Mark are a bit smarter than that now. And if your only complaint is that it’s too long, well tough, we’re talking about years, again years, of them dancing around with each other. I think it more than justifies the fact that I put a lot of effort in these.”

“You’re unbelievable, really.” Jaebum shook his head, turning to Jackson. “You sure you still want to include him in our plan?”

“Of course,” Jackson replied taking a look at Youngjae across the table. “We can’t do it without you, can we?” Jackson sent a small smile at him, to which Youngjae felt a small jolt to his stomach (probably from that questionable mashed potato from the cafeteria earlier). It was a small gesture, but otherwise very appreciated. If only Jaebum was a better friend like Jackson. “Besides,” Jackson continued, reading the meeting outline from time to time. “This is actually brilliant! Some of the things here, I’m not even aware of. Thanks, Youngjae!”

Jackson’s voice was so loud that the librarian almost went over to their table, before Youngjae sent her his best apologetic smile. Good thing that did the job and all they got was a stern look of warning to keep it down.

“Sorry,” Jackson said scratching his head. “But I’m serious. I really appreciated the effort, Youngjae-ah.”

There it is again. Youngjae involuntary put a hand on his stomach as he felt another jolt. I should really see the nurse after this. And before he could help himself, he found himself asking Jackson. “Really? Is that what you really think?”I

“Yeah, I mean,” Jackson offered him an embarrassed smile. “I couldn’t even think of doing something like this. I’m sure it took some of your time to do something like this. You must’ve cared a lot about Mark and Jinyoung.”

Youngjae was just about to say his thanks to Jackson, when Jaebum rudely cleared his throat. “Yah, I’m still here, you guys.” He said pointing at the two. “Why do I suddenly feel like the third wheel? Are you two gonna make out? Should I leave?” He finished off with a snigger which earned him a kick from Youngjae.

It was definitely satisfying to see Jaebum whimper silently, fully aware that any noise will get them thrown out of the library. Serves him right. Youngjae thought. Jaebum would always find a way to and Jackson whenever there was a rare chance that they are together. Usually, Youngjae would just play it off as Jaebum being Jaebum, but for some reason the lump on his stomach today kept on bothering him and kicking Jaebum relieved the feeling just for a little bit.

“Anyway,” Jaebum announced when he finally recovered from the pain on his leg, but still glaring at Youngjae nonetheless. “Let’s just get back to business. Mark and Jinyoung. What do you guys think?”

“I guess we’re all thinking the same thing, anyway.” Jackson said solemnly. “That’s basically why we’re here today. They’re taking so long.”

“Yeah,” Youngjae agreed. “And normally I won’t be bothered by this, but if they take too long, external ‘problems’ might get out of hand.” Youngjae emphasized it with air quotes, expecting the other two to understand, but apparently not based on the blank expressions on their faces. “Minjoon-sunbae.” He cannot help but roll his eyes at them.

“Minjoon-sunbae?” Jaebum looked at Jackson who is wearing the same confused expression on his face. “What does sunbae got to do with this?”

“Are you two really that dense?” Youngjae said exasperatedly. “I really need to spell it out for you, don’t I? Minjoon-sunbae likes Jinyoung-ah, okay? Don’t you get why he’s always lurking around our classroom every morning? Did you really think Mark’s in a super foul mood lately, because I don’t know, he had a bad dream every night?”

A look of realization dawned upon Jackson’s face. “Oh my God. Is that why Mark hasn’t been driving his car to school then? He’s making sure Minjoon-sunbae does not have any alone time with Jinyoung, isn’t he?”

That actually piqued Youngjae’s interest. “What do you mean? Wasn’t Mark’s car at the repair shop or something? I remember Jinyoung telling me that.”

“Well,” Jackson replied with a slightly amused expression on his face. “It’s only a busted tail light that one time, and I’m pretty sure it was fixed the same day. That guy, he kept on telling me he’s saving the gas money for something else and all this time…”

“He’s hopeless.” Jaebum shook his head leaning an arm on the table. “But I guess that’s Mark Tuan for you. Seriously though, he’s always like this. Remember that time in first grade when you accidentally called Jinyoung, ‘Jinyoungie’? Remember the tantrum he had?” Oh, Youngjae definitely remembers it well. Never again. “Yeah, Mark hates when other people call him that.”

“Yeah, and quite honestly I don’t think even Jinyoung’s family call him Jinyoungie anymore.” Youngjae nodded in affirmative while chuckling slightly. “It became a habit to us eventually.”

“Well, it was very cute when we were kids.” Jaebum sighed exasperatedly. “But now, I don’t think I can deal with another of his temper tantrums anymore. He might’ve changed the past few years, but his possessiveness with Jinyoung is still insane and I don’t think he realizes that.”

“That’s the thing.” Jackson shook his head. “He has no idea about what he’s feeling right now and that’s what we need to work on.”

“Well, at least Jinyoung’s done with realization part.” Youngjae found himself saying, not realizing that Jackson did not know about that until later. “Oh . You’re not supposed to know about that.”

“I think Jackson would have to know about that eventually.” Jaebum waved him off, before turning to Jackson. “Yeah, dude, Jinyoung’s already pining, head over heels over your best friend. And it’s bad. Very bad. But also good since I’m pretty sure Mark feels the same way, for the longest time really.”

Jackson hummed indicating he understood the situation. “I have a question though. Why can’t we have Jinyoung confess to Mark? I think everyone in this table agrees that the feeling is mutual.”

“That’s right, but,” Youngjae paused for dramatic effect. “Weren’t you the one who said that Mark doesn’t understand what’s happening right now? That’s the biggest problem we have right now and I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be pretty hellish if Jinyoung tries to confess to him. Can you imagine his reaction? Most probably he’s gonna laugh at Jinyoung’s face or maybe run home and lock himself in his room as a defense mechanism.”

“…That is most likely gonna happen.” Jackson said in defeat. “What are we gonna do then?”

“Aish,” Jaebum rubber his temples in frustration. “You two are seriously lucky to have me as a friend. What we need to do is to force Mark to see Jinyoung in a romantic light.”

“Overly cheesy, but fine, we’ll hear you out.” Youngjae shook his head in judgement. If he really knows Im Jaebum (which he absolutely does), he is about 101% that there is some kind of a catch here.

Jaebum was smiling triumphantly as he searched the contents of his bag and his grin grew wider as he held of what looks like five tickets in his hand. “This is what I’m talking about.” He handed one ticket each to Youngjae and Jackson.

“Autumn Lights Festival?” Jackson said slowly as he read his own ticket as Jaebum nodded smugly.

“Hey, this is that festival at Yejin-noona’s university.” Youngjae turned at Jaebum with a frown. “Im Jaebum, what did you do?”

“What? You should be thanking me!” Jaebum said in defense. “It’s a lovers’ festival. You can only come in if you have someone you’re with! And that’s what we’re gonna do.”

“Uhh, I’m pretty sure all five of us are single.” Jackson frowned at him.

“Well, they don’t know that, do they?” Jaebum answered with a wink.

“And yet I see only five sets of tickets.” Youngjae answered sarcastically.

“That’s the point!” Jaebum explained. “I figured, we can make Jinyoung and Mark go together, then of course you and Jackson.” Youngjae did not realize that he turned his head on Jackson’s direction until he caught the other looking back at him. Great, this got more awkward.

“Why does Jackson and I have to be a couple?” Youngjae protested quietly.

“You’ll not be able to come in unless you’re a couple. Didn’t I mention that earlier?” Jaebum said exasperatedly. “And I’m pretty sure you prefer pairing up with him rather than me, don’t you?”

“Shut up,” Youngjae said lamely. He actually does not mind being paired with Jackson given of course their history. They ended up well. Of course, not best friends given the circumstances, but in good terms as far as the breaking up dictionary could describe it. Still, Youngjae thought as he stole another glance at Jackson. The two of them under a romantic setting once more could bring up some things that he had been avoiding thinking ever since. Things that sometimes haunt him in his last thoughts before falling asleep.

Youngjae shook his head as he pushed the thoughts out of his mind. No, this is not his priority. Right now, Jinyoung and Mark comes first. He and Jackson are already done, so he does not have to feel weird about this anymore. Besides, he was pretty sure that Jackson still has that person that he liked and Choi Youngjae do not like fighting a losing battle anyway. No, thank you.

“What about you?” Jackson’s question suddenly interrupted Youngjae’s train of thoughts. “We only have five tickets. If Youngjae and I will come together and we’ll have Jinyoung and Mark, who are you coming with?”

“From whom did you think I got the tickets from?” Jaebum said with a knowing wink.

“You didn’t…” Youngjae turned to him wide eye in disbelief “Yejin-noona??” Jaebum nodded triumphantly. “You mean, you… How did… When… Why??? I thought you’re over her. And she doesn’t like you!”

“Ah, my friend.” Jaebum shook his finger. “You underestimate my powers and to answer your question, yes, I am over her. This is just a mere favor, which the story I’ll tell you about in the future. In the meantime.” Jaebum tapped on Youngjae and Jackson’s tickets. “Don’t get this lost, okay?”

“Fine.” Youngjae and Jackson answered in unison, both with equal indifference.

“See?” Jaebum sniggered. “My plan is so perfect; we didn’t even need Youngjae’s outline.” Jaebum laughed as Youngjae flipped him off. “Oh, and by the way, before I forget…” He again rummaged a pen and a sheet of paper from his bag and drew a few doodles on it. “Here.”

Both Youngjae and Jackson stared at the paper in front of them in disdain. “Oh, what the actual is that?” Youngjae gasped. “What the hell is #TeamMark?!”

“T-shirt design of course!” Jaebum elaborated. “Since we’ll all be rooting for our good friend, Mark Tuan, we should have a team name! And of course team t-shirt is a must, so I guess Youngjae yours will be yellow shirt; Jackson’s I guess will be blue shirt and green shirt for me!”

This time it was Jackson who reached over the paper on Jaebum’s hand, crumpled it and threw it on Jaebum’s nose. “That’s nice.” Jaebum said his nose crinkling. “Be like that, and I’ll make sure to print a #TeamMinjoon shirt for you. Do you want that? Huh?”

“I’m leaving.” Jackson announced as he hurriedly packed his things. “You coming with, Youngjae-ah?”

Youngjae was still laughing as he and Jackson exited the library quickly as Jaebum called after them with a loud, “Yah!!” which they are pretty sure the head librarian will certainly NOT appreciate.

It’s a good start.

 

 

 

 

 

“Yah, Jinyoung-ah,” Jinyoung was still finishing his breakfast toast when his sister entered the kitchen along with a knowing smile on her face. “Your boyfriend’s already waiting for you outside.”

Jinyoung nearly choked on his bread and that seemed to satisfy his sister since she was smirking when she sat across the table. “He’s not my boyfriend!” Jinyoung said in defense, blushing from his Yejin’s insinuation.

Yejin looked at him smugly. “…Right.” And Jinyoung did not like the sarcasm in her voice. “I believe you, baby brother.” This mostly meant that she did not believe it by one bit.

Jinyoung with no other choice just quickly finished his breakfast, completely ignoring the teasing grin from his sister. “Stop it.” Jinyoung finally said as he stood up from the dinner table.

“What?” Yejin asked who was obviously feigning innocence. “What did I do?”

“Whatever.” Jinyoung replied through gritted teeth, deciding to not say anything more to fuel his sister’s amusement. “I’ll go to school now. Tell Mom and Dad.”

He was barely out of the kitchen when Yejin called out a “Say hi to Mark for me!” along with a loud chuckle which Jinyoung really did not appreciate. It was already bad that his cheeks are in a perpetual blushing mode whenever he was with Mark or if said boy’s name will be mentioned in his presence. He certainly did not need any more of his sister’s constant teasing. He has gotten it enough from his Mom and Dad anyway (and also Mark’s parents during their usual Sunday brunches). He quickly put on his shoes and proceeded outside to meet Mark.

Truth be told, Jinyoung found himself relieved that despite all these teasing that they got, Mark would always be waiting outside their house every morning and even in the afternoon so that they can go home together. It was a surprise at first for him, but Jinyoung found himself casually slipping into this routine every day. It was not as if Mark and him are now best friends again. It was more of a comfortable togetherness, which Jinyoung does not feel the need to define anything more and if ever it goes beyond that in the future (Nope, not that, Jinyoung’s cheeks reddened at the thought), then he would just figure it out when it happens.

“Well, you certainly took your time.” That was the first thing Mark says while Jinyoung closes their gates. “I was starting to think you overslept again.”

“Hey!” Jinyoung shot him a glare. So early, Mark Tuan and you’re already at your element. “That was one time! One time! And I still made it, didn’t I?”

“Yeah, barely.” Mark rolled his eyes as he started walking. “And I so didn’t mind walking to school that day. So thanks a lot for that.”

“I said I’m sorry that time.” Jinyoung mumbled under his breath. Well, he does know it was his fault anyway and he did not mind admitting to that fact, but Mark still chose to bring it up all the time. “And you didn’t have to wait then, you didn’t have to wait now.” That he says just to be spiteful, but in all honesty, he still very much appreciated the other’s effort.

“You say that, but I’m pretty sure Jinyoungie likes that I waited for him.” Mark joked with a chuckle, not even realizing that he was so on point with what he said, while the boy beside him was praying to the heavens to just turn him into a jello puddle. “Hey, why are you slowing down?” Mark asked turning back to Jinyoung with a frown. “Didn’t I tell you to always walk beside me? Or do you want us to miss the bus again?”

How could he say those words and not even knowing how messed up it makes me feel? Does he know I like him? Is this his new way of teasing me because he know how I feel? No, it can’t be. I’m pretty positive he’ll make sure I know if he finds out. Stop overthinking, Park Jinyoung.

“Yah!” Mark said coupled with a flick on Jinyoung’s forehead. “Are you seriously spacing out on me right now, Jinyoungie?” If you keep this up, we’ll really miss the bus. Come on.” He finished off with a soft tug on Jinyoung’s blazer.

“Hey, you’re wrinkling my uniform!” Jinyoung protested while Mark pulls him, not too hard, but enough for the both of them to hurry to the bus station. “How would you like if I do it to you too?”

Mark let go of the fabric. “Okay, fine. Do you want me to hold your hand instead?” He said it with a very serious expression that it caught Jinyoung by surprise that he almost choke on his tongue. “I was joking, Jinyoungie.” Mark said after a few moments. There was an almost teasing grin on his face as he seemed to realize something. “Oh my gosh, do you want me to hold your hand? You want to, don’t you?!”

“No, I don’t!” Jinyoung glared at him with feigned annoyance, but really it was to hide being caught. (Well, he really was caught. But Mark Tuan did not need to know that, especially not to add on his ego.) “Why would I want to?! Stop with this nonsense.” Jinyoung started walking away with his nose in the air.

“Hmm? Being defensive, aren’t you?” Mark was laughing as he kept up with him. “But I don’t think you want me to stop, huh, Jinyoungie?”

Jinyoung turned sharply at Mark and reached over to hold his hand. He did not know what pushed him to do it, but he just wanted for Mark to shut up. His heart cannot take it anymore and if Mark keeps this up, Jinyoung might not arrive to school because of his increased heart rate.

Time seemed to stop between the two of them as Mark’s previous amused expression was suddenly replaced by blank one. “Hey, w-what are y-you doing?”

“Shutting you up, Tuan.” Jinyoung said, trying his best to be oblivious about the reddening of his cheeks. He quickly (and reluctantly) let go of Mark’s hand a few moments later. “It worked, didn’t it?”

Mark scoffed. “Look at you finally learning to fight back. I’ll let it go for now, because we’ll be late to school but in the future I won’t be so kind.” He said as he cleared his throat.

Jinyoung raised an eyebrow. “Bring it on.”

 

 

“As you all know, our school’s sports camp is just around the corner.” The whole classroom was suddenly filled with whoops and cheers, completely drowning the voice of their homeroom teacher, Professor Shim. “Alright, alright, settle down. If you don’t behave, I’ll remove our class from joining.”

That did quiet down most of the class, but without someone shouting a “You’re such a killjoy, Professor Shim!” which made the whole class laugh, even including their teacher. “Okay,” Professor Shim says clearing his throat. “So as I was mentioning earlier, the date for the sports camp is near, so to avoid any problems later, I suggest that you inform your parents beforehand. We will be sending out the waivers in the next few days once the committee, so I hope everyone will be able to join. Speaking of the sports committee, Mr. Choi, have you decided who’re going to be our class representatives?”

Youngjae was the class president, but at that same moment, he was too busy doodling on his notes, that he almost missed the question. “Right! Yes! Class representatives! Yes!” He looked over his notes and pretended to read something. “I’ve already submitted it yesterday to the principal, Professor Shim. The sports committee will include me of course, Park Jinyoung and Mark Tuan.”

Jinyoung, who was too busy doing something else aka swooning at said Mark Tuan/stealing a few glances every now and then, suddenly shoot up a look at his best friend. He was certainly NOT given prior information about this sudden setup and by the way Mark was staring confusedly at Youngjae (Not that Jinyoung was checking his expression, FYI.); the latter has no idea about this as well. Besides, Jinyoung is almost 100% certain that Youngjae had put him in the committee not because of his exceptional skills in sports. No, this is about the way his best friend’s eyes are twinkling at him.

“Alright! Good.” Professor Shim said with a nod to Youngjae, who smiled triumphantly in his seat. “Well, I’m certainly glad that’s settled then. I expect the three of you will be able to keep us updated with committee updates.”

“Will do, sir.” Youngjae replied.

Meanwhile as their homeroom teacher proceeded with other topics for the class, Jinyoung busied himself into shooting daggers at Youngjae. “What are you doing?” He hissed at his best friend, but Youngjae only answered him with a toothy smile, which he knew Jinyoung cannot resist. “I know why you included me, Choi Youngjae. You’re dead.”

“Oh my gosh, Jinyoung-ah,” Youngjae giggled slightly, not even trying to hide that he was in no way ruffled by Jinyoung’s words at all. “Even your threats are so cute! I just want to feed you milk and cookies all day, our baby.”

“Yah,” Jinyoung furrowed his eyebrows. “It’s not funny. Why did you include me, Youngjae? I mean, I totally understand why Mark’s there, but I’m not good at sports, you know that.”

“That’s crazy. You’re at least decent in my opinion.” Youngjae waved a hand in dismissal of Jinyoung’s words. “And it’s not just about being good at sports, why I included you on the list. We need responsible students, Jinyoung-ah and we can certainly use your brain.”

“My brain?” Jinyoung blinked at Youngjae repeatedly. “Choi Youngjae, you’re literally the number one student in our year. I think your brain is more than enough for that.”

“So?” Youngjae shrugged. “You’re in the top ten and so is Mark. Three smart brains are better than one, isn’t it? Besides, at least be a little grateful that I’m giving you the opportunity to spend some time with the love of your life.”

“Shh!” Jinyoung whispered in surprise as Youngjae snickered quietly. “It’s bad enough that everyone’s teasing me about Mark, not you too!”

“Hey, I tell it as it is.” Youngjae replied with a little bit of sass. “Just be excited okay? Live a little, Park Jinyoung.”

“How can I when every time I’m around him, my cheeks are always at the boiling point?” Jinyoung grumbled quietly. “I’m just gonna make a fool of myself. That’s what’s going to happen for sure.”

“Nonsense.” Youngjae shook his head. This time, he looks a little bit serious. “You have me, Jinyoung-ah and I’m pretty sure Mark’s got your back too.” A small playful grin suddenly appeared on Youngjae’s face. “I just mentioned his name and look at that silly smile on your face. So cute!”

“Hey!” Jinyoung said, touching his cheeks as a failed attempt to make the smile disappear.

“Our Jinyoung-ah’s all grown up.” Youngjae said as he reached over and patted Jinyoung’s head.

 

It was a few moments later when a paper ball suddenly flew into Youngjae’s head, which caused him to stand up and shout a loud “Who did that?!”

“Mr. Choi, is there any problem?” Professor Shim gave him a stern look for disturbing the class, but Youngjae is already scanning the whole classroom meeting his classmates’ curious stares and shrugs.

“Nothing sir, I’m sorry for disrupting.” Youngjae said a few moments later sitting back down and examining the little paper ball in his hands.

“Are you okay?” Jinyoung asked in concern.

“Yeah,” Youngjae said, his expression turning from annoyance to sudden amusement. It confused Jinyoung a little. Is Youngjae feeling alright? “Ahhh, seriously. He is so funny.”

“Who is?” Jinyoung asked curiously, but all Youngjae did was shrug.

 

 

“Hey, I heard you’re also part of the sports camp committee.” Jinyoung almost dropped his books in shock when he heard the voice behind him. It was already lunch break and most of the students are either on their way to the cafeteria or like Jinyoung are at the locker area organizing their things for their afternoon classes.

“Oh, hi, Minjoon-sunbae.” Jinyoung greeted offering a bow to his senior. Quite honestly, he was still recovering from the shock earlier and pretended to just shrug it off.

“Sorry, did I surprise you?” Minjoon asked as he tried to assist Jinyoung in putting his books in his locker.

“No, it’s fine.” Jinyoung tried to say, but Minjoon insisted on helping him. “Thanks, sunbae and I’m sorry, you were asking earlier if I’m part of the committee. Actually, yeah. I am. My friend Youngjae included my name on the list, which actually is a bad idea since I’m actually not a very sporty person in the first place.”

“I’m sure you’ll do fine.” Minjoon offered him a smile while Jinyoung closed his locker. “I’m also part of the committee, so there’s at least a familiar face you could depend on during meetings. I’m actually glad that we’ll be seeing each other often.”

“Oh?” Jinyoung turned to him with a frown. To be honest, he did not know how to react at that since in the first place he and Minjoon are not even close at all. He actually wondered why the elder was always around and helping him often, when Jinyoung did not even need any assistance at all. Although he always pushed these thoughts out of his head. He has always been grateful after all.

However, before he could even make any more clarifications from the other, Youngjae’s loud yell came eight lockers down. “Jinyoung-ah!” Several students stopped on their tracks as they, along with Jinyoung, watches in horror as his best friend all of a sudden clutches his stomach and slumped face down on his locker door.

“Youngjae-ah!” Jinyoung ran in panic, quickly at his best friend’s side as Youngjae groaned in pain still on the floor. “Oh my God! What’s happening?! Is your stomach hurt?”

“I… Jinyoung-ah, help me…” Youngjae whimpered helplessly all the while clutching Jinyoung’s blazer. “I don’t want to die, Jinyoung-ah… Not in front of everyone like this. It hurts…!”

“Let’s go to the clinic!” Jinyoung says in panic while he helped Youngjae up. “Can you walk? Do you want me to carry you on my back?!”

“No… I…” Youngjae said weakly as he clutched Jinyoung’s shoulders. “I can… I think I can walk…”

“Okay, let’s go!” Jinyoung said as he carefully led the way, supporting Youngjae’s weight on his shoulders. The clinic is only down the hallway so he did not mind as the crowd of students flocking around them cleared the way.

“What’s the matter, Jinyoung-ah?” Minjoon’s voice was suddenly at his side, but Jinyoung barely registered it since the adrenalin of bringing his best friend to the nurse is number one priority right now. “Do you need help? I can carry Youngjae!”

“NO!” Youngjae protested despite the pain he was going through. “I only want you to be with me, Jinyoung-ah.” He pleaded at Jinyoung desperately. “Make everyone go away! Make him go away! I don’t want anyone else to see me like this!”

“Sunbae, please.” Jinyoung pleaded. “I’m sorry, but you need to go away right now. We’ll be fine.” Jinyoung proceeded on their way as Youngjae made another whimper noises beside him. “Youngjae-ah, don’t worry. We’re almost there.”

Thankfully, there are lesser students now in the hallway as most of them are already flocking inside the cafeteria right now and most did not find Youngjae’s situation that interesting anymore. Plus, the school clinic is at the end of the corridor anyway and there was a stupid rumor circulating around the school saying that the nurse was a witch and curses the love lives of students who stays over to rest. Jinyoung thought it was rather silly and cruel, he stayed over once when he had a slight fever during freshman year and the nurse was more than nice to him.

“Jinyoung-ah, I think I’m fine now.” Youngjae whispered quietly detaching himself from Jinyoung’s hold and patting his belly like he was not just curling himself on the floor five minutes ago. “Let’s go to lunch, shall we? Gosh, I’m so hungry!”

“Wait, wait, wait!” Jinyoung pulled his best friend back. “Youngjae-ah! Are you crazy?! Just a minute ago, you keep whispering that ‘you’re dying’ and now you just suddenly want to eat lunch? Are you sure you’re alright?”

“Yeah,” Youngjae scratched his head, smiling apologetically. “I’m so sorry for worrying you so much. I think I just experienced some major starving issues. You know that new diet I was trying? I think I just missed food so much, my stomach was too excited to eat lunch.”

Jinyoung narrowed his eyes at Youngjae, not convinced at all that his best friend suddenly recovered just like that. “And you expect me to believe that? No, no way. We’re not going to lunch unless you get checked by the nurse! And after class later, I’ll accompany you to the hospital if I have too!”

“No! Jinyoung-ah listen!” Youngjae shouts in panic as Jinyoung’s grip on his wrist went tighter. “I’m one hundred percent fine again! Look at me!” However, Jinyoung has made up his mind. He cannot let anything happen to Youngjae anymore, and if he has to drag the other inside the nurse’s office so be it. “No! You can’t Jinyoung-ah! I don’t want to be cursed! I still want to have a boyfriend and live happily ever after!”

“Oh my God, you know that’s not true!” Jinyoung rolled his eyes as he pulled a struggling Youngjae with him. “You of all people should know that!”

“But it is!” Youngjae protested. “You’re a living proof, Jinyoung-ah. See? You stayed over once at the clinic and now, you’re already 17 and you’re still single since birth!” That Jinyoung knows that his best friend is now pulling his leg. Jinyoung turns to glare at Youngjae who was now laughing at his expense.

“Thanks a lot.” Jinyoung grumbled in annoyance. “You should’ve shouted it louder. I don’t think the people at the cafeteria heard you. Besides I chose to be single since birth.”

“Yeah, because I know. I know.” Now it was Youngjae’s turn to roll his eyes. “Mark Tuan’s the only one for you, blah, blah, blah…”

“Oh my gosh, please stop talking!” Jinyoung shushed. “And stop making this about me, Choi Youngjae. You can’t distract me. We’re still going to the nurse’s office if that’s the last thing that I would do!”

“Alright, alright.” Youngjae shrugged finally and proceeded on his own way to the clinic. “I’ll get checked. Geez.”

 

 

It was ten minutes later when Youngjae’s tests were done and so far all his vitals were normal. So, without any other choice since Youngjae is also back to his usual bouncing self, the two best friends finally decided to make their way to the cafeteria and finally get some lunch. However, when they exited the nurse’s office, both of them were surprised to find Jaebum, Mark and Jackson waiting outside.

“Youngjae-ah!” Jackson’s voice echoed throughout the hallway. “Are you okay?! Are you fine?! Where does it hurt? Can you walk?! Do you want me to carry you?! I exercise every day I SWEAR!!

“Hey, what are you doing here?” Youngjae asked when he and Jinyoung finally joined the others at the hallway.

“Now he asks,” Jaebum frowned at him. “Well, the other students were talking about how you were almost dying of stomach pains earlier, but I guess there’s nothing to worry about since you’re already like that?”

“Yeah,” Jinyoung replied. “The nurse’s already checked. All’s good with Youngjae-ah. I didn’t even understand what happened? Why are you even waiting here outside? You guys should’ve come in.”

“Well, you know…” Jaebum said in amusement as he gestured over Jinyoung. “The curse.”

“I am so not cursed!” Jinyoung said defiantly.

“See? I told you.” Youngjae said winking at Jinyoung before turning at Jaebum. “Anyhow, I get why you’re here, but,” He shifted his attention at Mark and Jackson. “Why are you two here as well?”

“Wow, you could’ve at least pretended to feel a teensy bit touched that we’re concerned.” Mark said sarcastically as he nudged Jackson. “Well, Jaebum and Jackson wanted to go, so yeah. I guess I’m here for second hand association.”

“I’m touched.” Youngjae replied uninterested as he mentioned a short. “Hey, thanks, bro.” at Jackson. Jaebum pretended he was puking while Jinyoung and Mark both mouthed “bro?” quite audibly which earned the three of them a separate glare from Youngjae.

“Anyway!” Youngjae shouted, using both of his hands to grab Jaebum and Jackson’s arms. “I need to talk to you two. It’s urgent! It’s about the uh… Sports camp meeting.” He then proceeded to walk with the other two, before turning back at Jinyoung as if indicating that he has not forgotten about his best friend. “We’ll be quick, Jinyoung-ah, alright? You and Mark can get your lunch first. I’ll see you at the usual table, okay?”

 

 

“Youngjae’s getting weirder every day.” Mark commented as both of them watched Youngjae pulling the other two and maybe pushing them in an empty classroom. “Are you sure he’s not sick anymore?”

“I’m pretty sure.” Jinyoung replied warily. “I was there. And don’t call Youngjae weird. He’s your friend too.”

“Yeah, I didn’t mean it that way.” Mark said quietly. “But you’ve got to admit what he did just now was strange.”

Jinyoung shrugged. “Whatever. I’m just glad he’s alright.” Suddenly his stomach started to growl and Jinyoung wants to bury himself from embarrassment especially when Mark started laughing at his face.

“Come on,” Mark said, starting to walk towards the cafeteria. “Baby Jinyoungie is already hungry. Let’s get him some milk.

“Yah!” Jinyoung called as he chased after Mark, a smile already suddenly creeping on his face despite the red flush tainting his cheeks.

Fortunately, since most of the students are already sitting down and eating their lunch, the line at the cashier was not long anymore and soon enough he and Mark were able to get their lunch trays. It startled Jinyoung though when after paying, Mark followed him instead of his usual table with Jackson. Not that he was hoping for that to happen, but it was still a nice surprise.

“What are you doing?” Jinyoung asked as he settled down on his chair. “You don’t sit here.”

“That’s nice.” Mark said as he started digging into his lunch. “I don’t see your name on this table though.”

“You know what I mean.” Jinyoung said as he pointed at Mark’s usual table. “Look, your friends are looking for you. You shouldn’t leave them alone especially when they’ve waited for you.”

“If I leave, then you’ll be alone.” Mark suddenly looked at him straight in the eyes and God; Jinyoung felt his heart dropped to the fall. He suddenly felt his hands shaking that he needed to grab his chopsticks tightly to hide that fact. “So can you just stop complaining and just eat? I swear if I hear your stomach growling again, I’m gonna stuff that egg roll down your throat.”

It sounded like a threat, but for some odd reason Jinyoung felt his heart beating faster, which is so wrong. What are you doing, Mark Tuan? You’re so bad for my health! Jinyoung started munching on his muffin, but not before murmuring a soft “thanks” to Mark.

“Don’t mention it.” Mark answered in return.

 

“What is this?” Jaebum exclaimed when he arrived shortly with Youngjae and Jackson at the table. “Do my eyes deceive me?? Or am I dreaming right now? Have Park Jinyoung and Mark Tuan finally come to a truce?”

“Shut up, Jaebum.” Mark says throwing a used napkin at his friend. “And what truce? We go to school together every day. We go home together. I don’t know what truce you’re talking about so stop being dramatic.”

“Hey, come on,” Jackson commented, sitting beside Mark. “You don’t have to be a jerk, dude. Jaebum’s just happy.”

“But that’s just how Mark is.” Youngjae added while he also started eating his lunch. “I’ll probably call the police if Mark suddenly acts all nice and fluffy. Or maybe NASA ‘coz it has to be an alien.”

“I feel so blessed to be surrounded by all of you.” Mark retaliated and unfortunately, Jinyoung was not able to hold in his laugh anymore. He did stop after sometime though, especially when everyone turned to him and he was pretty sure Youngjae, Jaebum and even Jackson (?!) are looking at him with the same knowing expressions.

“Sorry, it was funny?” Jinyoung murmured embarrassedly as he looked down on his lunch.

“Okay then,” Jaebum chuckled after a few moments of uncomfortable silence. “As I was mentioning to Jackson and Youngjae earlier, I was courteously invited to the Autumn Lights Festival this Saturday, by none other than Jinyoung’s older sister, Yejin-noona.” Jinyoung choked on his iced tea.

“What?! How did you—?”

“Let me finish, Jinyoung-ah.” Jaebum wagged a finger at him as Youngjae and Jackson rolled their eyes in synchrony. “So anyway, since I’m such a good friend to the four of you, I was able to get you guys a ticket!” He then handed the tickets to Jinyoung and Mark.

“But this festival,” Mark started, examining closely the ticket in his hands. “Isn’t it known for couples only entry?”

“Oh my friend,” Jaebum announced magnanimously, taking a deep breath before continuing. “My friend, my friend, my friend. Of course it is! So we decided, and by we, I meant Youngjae and Jackson.” The two mentioned shook their heads adamantly behind Jaebum’s back. “That we could partner up! Me, the awesome Im Jaebum with Yejin-noona, then we have Youngjae and Jackson as couple number two and lastly, you two as couple number three!”

“What?!”

“Are you ing serious?!”

“Hey!” Jaebum put his hands up to his chest in defense. “We’re just there to have fun!”

“But why do we need to partner up?” Jinyoung protested, especially seeing Jaebum’s expression. What the hell is he doing? “And why can’t I have Youngjae-ah as my partner??”

“And how are you so sure that you can make me go to this?!” Mark added while glaring at Jaebum. “I swear to God, Im Jaebum. If you’re just using us to woo Yejin-noona again…”

“Hey, Yejin-noona’s the one who gave me the tickets so you could shut up about that.” Jaebum shrugged carelessly. “And to answer your question, Jinyoung-ah, no. You cannot partner with Youngjae, because there are some activities that might involve couple-y stuff like maybe hugging or even kissing and I’m not sure you’re comfortable doing that with Youngjae. And we all know Youngjae and Jackson had been a couple already so they’ll be more in tune with each other. And to answer your question now, Mark. You’re gonna go to this thing, because if not then Jinyoung will be left alone. Do you want me to do that? Are you really THAT KIND OF FRIEND? Wow. Or maybe you want me to invite someone else in your place, hmm?”

“What makes you think I’d want to do couple-y stuff with Jinyoungie anyway?” Mark looked a bit lost and maybe trapped now that Jaebum is closing in on him and quite frankly, Jinyoung agrees with his point. Why would he?

“Well, you two always hug and stuff when we’re kids.” Jaebum says as if he was not bringing up embarrassing stuff they would rather just forget. “And haven’t you two kissed then? So it makes sense since you know: history.”

“Hey, w-we haven’t kissed, y-you know.” Jinyoung admitted, blushing hard as he remembered that fateful night when he still has not cleared up whether they kissed or whether it was just a very, very nice dream.

“You haven’t?” Jaebum says turning to Mark for confirmation. “After all you did before, after I ‘wed’ you two, you haven’t kissed?! No, you’re kidding me. You can’t fool me. You did, didn’t you?”

But instead of answering Jaebum (and maybe, finally, bringing Jinyoung some peace of mind), Mark turned to Youngjae and Jackson instead. “How are you two okay with this? Are you seriously thinking it’s a good idea?”

Youngjae shrugged. “I don’t know. It could be fun.”

“Seriously, Mark. It’s gonna be fine.” Jackson assured with a pat on his shoulder.

Mark could only drop his jaw in disbelief.

 

 

“This is seriously the worst idea in the world.” Mark grumbled through gritted teeth. “I can’t believe I came to this. It’s Jaebum’s idea after all.”

Jinyoung could not agree more. It was already Saturday night and they are all gathered at the university parking lot for the festival. For the past few days, no matter how Jinyoung tried to badger his sister for any into giving him some information about what usually happens in this event, she refused to provide any. Unfortunately all Jinyoung got was if possible, more teasing from his dear sister. (This is kind of unfair since she always say she hates Jaebum, but surprise, surprise he turns out to be her “date” today.)

“You say that for at least the eighth time today,” Jaebum narrowed his eyes at Mark. “And yet you’re still here. So just try to not say anything more and just admit you want to be here too, Mark Tuan.” Mark did not comment anything anymore, but not before sending Jaebum a roll of his eyes.

“Aren’t we gonna go in yet?” This time it was Jackson who spoke scratching wherever part of his torso that he could reach. He looked pitiful as tonight, he chose to wear a black turtle neck coupled with a little bit skinny for him pants and boots, which would make sense since it was starting to be a little bit chilly for the past few days. However, this was Jackson Wang that we are talking about. “I don’t think I can take any more of this heat!”

“Amusing,” Youngjae quipped from his side with his nose scrunched up in an attempt to lessen the sarcasm in his voice. “Why did you choose to wear those clothes anyway? I’m surprised you even have stuff like that in your closet.”

“Hey, I was just trying to be nice,” Jackson said in quick defense. His usual good natured tone was suddenly replaced with a surprisingly annoyed one most probably because of his frustration or maybe just because he felt suffocated by the neckline. “Since I thought this was a formal event, I don’t want you to be embarrassed having with me on your side you know?” He suddenly gripped his shirt in horror. “Seriously, HOW DOES ANYONE WEAR THIS?!”

Youngjae groaned loudly and perfectly matching Jackson’s whining. “God! You don’t need to do this if I’m gonna be standing beside a very sweaty version of you anyway!” He tried tugging on the hem of the latter’s shirt. “Are you wearing a tank top inside?” Youngjae asked with his eyes growing wide and all Jackson could ever do was nod in response. “Good. Take this horrible thing off or I’ll rip it apart, Jackson Wang! I’m SERIOUS!”

Jaebum nearly choked from his spot, turning to Jinyoung and Mark who was watching the two in amusement. “Does Youngjae realize what he’s saying? Am I the only one who’s getting concerned?”

“They’ll be fine.” Mark said with a shrug. “Besides, it looks like they’re having fun already and this festival hasn’t even started yet.”

“How about you, Jinyoung?” Jaebum called out and snapped the other from his reverie. “You’re so quiet. I’m starting to forget that you’re here! Are you okay? You look like you’re gonna barf.”

“I’m fine.” Jinyoung said shortly, but in fact he was the exact opposite. He knows it, Jaebum knows it, Youngjae knows it and he was starting to really think that Jackson already know as well (he thinks as he narrowed his eyes at Jaebum). But the fact that this night has haunted him the past few days cannot be denied by the obvious eye bags on his face. “I just want Yejin-noona to arrive already. Seriously, where is she?”

“Don’t worry she says she’s coming soon.” Jaebum said with an air of confidence which only left the other four look at him in suspicion. “What? She texted me just now! She’s coming with her friends! I swear!”

 “Seriously dude,” Youngjae turned to him, not even aware that Jackson’s turtleneck is still in his hands. “What is going on with you and Yejin-noona? Are you really going out for real?”

“No!” Jinyoung shouted defensively. Jaebum is a nice guy and pretty sure he will treat his sister like a queen, but the thought of a bunch of little Jaebums loitering around their house will swallow Jinyoung whole.

“Wow, thanks for that, Jinyoung-ah.” Jaebum rolled his eyes. “And here I was, always supporting you in all your endeavors.” He playfully flicked his eyes at Mark’s direction.

“Well, it’s my sister you’re talking about after all so shut up, Jaebum.” Jinyoung could only shrug.

“I’m here!” A loud squeal was heard from Jaebum’s back and there, finally was Yejin running towards them accompanied by what looks like some of her friends. As if Jinyoung and the others were not already surprised enough from this situation, they nearly lost it when his older suddenly latched herself onto Jaebum’s arm, smiling wildly as if she was not holding onto someone she claimed to hate for the past years. Does Yejin-noona really have a thing for Jaebum?! And all of a sudden Jinyoung’s head was filled with fluffy babies with Jaebum’s face chanting ‘Uncle Jinyoungie~! Uncle Jinyoungie~!’ (In a squeaky voice no less!) He shivers. God save him. “Sorry to keep you waiting! I’ll save the introductions later, Jaebum-ah, ‘coz I think they’re already starting inside. Shall we?”

Jaebum let himself be pulled by Yejin, but not without a wink to his four friends. Jinyoung turned to Youngjae who was also wearing the jaw dropped expression he had on his face as if saying that this, whatever this is has got to be a very, very bad dream.

“I guess we should follow them now, huh?” Jackson says turning to them and pulling a surprised Youngjae by his side. “C’mon, Youngjae.”

There was already a line forming at the school entrance, of course filled with couples. As far as Jinyoung knows, the Autumn Lights Festival has always been held at the school’s soccer field and like Jaebum has mentioned to the others earlier, the whole place has been converted into a makeshift love paradise which will be filled with activities for the love birds that will attend. If that was not romantic enough, the night will end in a mass lighting of paper lanterns were couples could put in their wish an watch them fly to the heavens.

It was all fun and perfect until Jinyoung remembers the person who he is with right now: the most perfect and imperfect person that he wishes to be with in this autumn festival and he does not even look interested to be here (while Jinyoung spent hours since the day before just picking up the right thing to wear.

Jackson and Youngjae were in front of them, but unfortunately some of the newcomers have started to arrive and started pushing and they were eventually separated. Jinyoung could only watch Youngjae a few feet away from him chatting with Jackson as the two finally made inside the entrance, when a particular shove from someone caused him to almost lose his balance. Almost; since Mark’s quick grip held his wrist steadily before Jinyoung could stumble down.

“Okay?” Mark asked with a slight frown on his face.

“Yeah.” Still very much aware of the hand holding his wrist.

“Come on,” Mark says leading Jinyoung away from the crowd. “Let’s go.”

“But… The festival…” Jinyoung says looking back as they walked further and further away from the crowd.

“We don’t need that to have fun.” Mark says, back still turned away at Jinyoung but not for a second slacking his grip. “No matter what Jaebum says.” He added finally turning back at Jinyoung with a soft smile on his lips. Mark might have done that solely because he made a joke about Jaebum, but somewhere deep in the abyss of Jinyoung’s heart he selfishly hoped that it was because they were together.

 

 

 

“I didn’t know you’re into younger guys, Yejin-ah,” Yejin’s friend, who Jaebum remembers was called Minseo, chides them. “But that’s okay, he’s kinda cute though.”

“Hey he’s not that young.” Yejin said through gritted teeth and Jaebum had to hide his smile or else he was gonna be pinched in the cheeks again. “He’s a freshman from another university.” Jaebum nearly choked, suddenly noticing Yejin side-eyeing him as if telling to just go with it. “Seriously guys. You don’t have to ogle at him so much. You’re making him uncomfortable.”

“Oh? This is rare! Yejin’s getting jealous.” This time it was her friend Jihye who chimed in and all of a sudden the group of friends started teasing them with Jihye’s boyfriend elbowing Jaebum slightly.

“Let’s just go.” Yejin suggested, pulling Jaebum with her, while her friends who are still teasing them by the way trailed from behind.

 

“So I guess you’re still yet to introduce me to Shinwoo-oppa?” Jaebum said in a low voice as Yejin dragged him around the festival, clinging to him a little tighter than usual. The festival is finally starting and couples started to flock around them. He did not even realize that they were in the food stalls area not until someone hit him with a cotton candy on his cheek.

“Shut up. I got you your tickets, didn’t I?” Yejin hissed looking back to check if her friends are still around. Finally realizing that they have lost them, she quickly detached herself from Jaebum. “The deal is I would give you tickets while you help pretend to be my boyfriend in front of Shinwoo-sunbae. Okay? So if you would be so kind to keep quiet about it, I would really appreciate it.”

“What’s so special about that guy, anyway?” Jaebum asked. “If we’re here and he’s here. Doesn’t that mean that he’s already taken? So why would you need to go out of your way to make him jealous? And by the way, if you’re planning to break up his relationship, leave me out of it, noona. You know I would do anything for you, but not something that wrong.”

Yejin looked like she was about to say something on her defense, but it turned into a look of mild surprise and horror as she look over Jaebum’s shoulder.

Turning around curiously, Jaebum turned and came into face to face with another couple. By the way Yejin was suddenly clinging at his sleeve; he was finally able to take the hint. He looked back at Yejin and found her looking paler than usual. Taking her hand into his, he squeezed it softly telling her subtly that everything will be okay. I understand.

“Yejin?” The guy Jaebum can only assume to be Shinwoo says a look of surprise written on his face along with the girl beside him. “It’s good to see you! I didn’t know you’d be here!”

Yejin was not saying anything or rather Jaebum realized when he looked at her, it looked like she does not have any ability to. So to prevent anymore lingering awkwardness in the air, Jaebum reached out his free hand and introduced himself. “Hi, I’m Im Jaebum, Yejin-noona’s boyfriend.”

“Boyfriend?” This time it was the girl with Shinwoo who spoke. The astonishment in her voice was very thinly veiled and Jaebum did not miss Yejin’s hand tightening into his. “You’re her boyfriend?”

Jaebum scratched his head, not really knowing how to answer a question to a statement he just said a few minutes ago without sounding too rude. “Yeah. I am. Hi.” Reaching out his hand again that was previously ignored by the couple earlier.

“It’s nice to meet you.” Shinwoo said finally shaking his hand. “Wow. I didn’t know Yejin’s already dating. That’s great news.”

“Yeah it is,” Jaebum said proudly, not really saying anything more. Right now, he was more worried about Yejin’s change of attitude. “Sorry, I didn’t get your names?”

“Ah yes, sorry about that.” Shinwoo replied. “I’m Shinwoo and this is my girlfriend, Ahreum.”

Ahreum, who looked like she was too busy, looking at Yejin, suddenly turned to Shinwoo. “Oppa, I think we should leave now. The band’s about to start soon. I hate to stand at the back.”

“Right,” Shinwoo nodded in agreement. “Listen it was great meeting you, Jaebum. We’ll see you around, Yejin, okay?”

Jaebum watched as the couple walked away from them. He was about to tease Yejin about her embarrassing encounter with her crush when he noticed that she was shivering slightly. “Hey, are you alright, noona?”

But instead of answering, Yejin pulled herself away from Jaebum’s hand and walked away.

 

“There you are.” He finally found Yejin sitting alone on one of the deserted benches fifteen minutes later. Well he could have found her a lot sooner, but he became a little bit too distracted with a dart game earlier that he did not notice the time. “Here.” He handed out the very huge stuffed monkey that he was piggybacking since earlier (It was actually the price he won at the dart game).

Yejin took the stuff monkey without saying anything. She looked so small hugging the plushie in her arms, which made her look more vulnerable. If that was even possible “I’m so stupid.” She says burying her face in the stuffed animal.

“Yes, you are.” Jaebum said while he took the seat beside Yejin. “I can’t believe you’re pining over a guy like that. He just looks so serious and smart while you’re… Well.” He waved his hands at her not really knowing the right words to use.

“Gee, thanks.” Yejin’s voice cracked, but the sarcasm was still evident. Still, when she shot a glare at him, Jaebum could not help but notice her swollen eyes as if she has just finished crying. “Aren’t you supposed to comfort me right now? Why are you being like that to me?”

Jaebum shrugged. “I don’t know. I guess that’s because you shouldn’t be crying right now because of that guy? You like him. He has a girlfriend. Get over it and move on.”

“It’s not easy, okay?” Yejin sniffed. “Shinwoo-sunbae was a schoolmate in high school. He was not really the most popular guy mainly because he always look so cold, which everyone took as a sign of aloofness. But he’s exactly the opposite of that. He’s very kind and a bit shy, which was kind of cool in some ways. I liked him so much that it’s the main reason why I did my best to enter this university.”

“Very nice motivation to choose a university. Just saying.” Jaebum commented which was finally answered with a snort from Yejin.

“Yeah, it was.” Yejin replied. “I always thought, ‘This is my chance. I can get closer to sunbae.’ He’s always been kind to me since the beginning, so I thought it could lead to something more, but I was wrong.” Yejin sighed deeply, looking like she was trying to compose herself before continuing. “Ahreum was my best friend since first day of classes, freshman year. I never say it to anyone unless I fully trusted them and eventually I told her about Shinwoo-sunbae. She knew how I felt about him, but last month I found out that they’ve been dating for almost a year already.” She suddenly turned to Jaebum with an apologetic smile. “And I guess that’s where you come in. I felt so angry and embarrassed when I found out. I mean, there were times when I would tell her ‘Wow, Shinwoo-sunbae looks very handsome today, right?’ or ‘I really, really like him, Ahreum-ah. What should I do for him to notice me?’ All the while she would always have a smile on her face while she gave me advices and somehow when I still think about it, was she genuine about that? Or did she laugh behind my back? And I guess that’s where everything fell apart. We did not have any confrontation. We just both knew that the friendship was over and has been keeping out of each other’s way ever since. However, that doesn’t mean that I’m already over it. I wanted them to know that despite everything, I’m okay. I won’t let them, her, see me cry. It’s stupid and childish and petty, but I thought it would make me feel better.”

“And are you feeling better?” Jaebum asked.

“No.” Yejin replied with a sniff. “If anything, I feel worse. And I hate myself right now.”

“Yes, that’s right. “ Jaebum is already frowning. How could she think of all those things when—? “But that doesn’t mean you should. How could you think of all those things? You really should love yourself more, noona. You’re like literally the prettiest girl I’ve ever seen in my entire life and you’re cool and you’re violent and you laugh so loud that it makes everyone around you laugh as well. So if Shinwoo-hyung cannot see that then maybe you’re looking at the wrong guy. I’m not saying it’s me you should be looking at, okay? Don’t hit me.” Jaebum added with a slight chuckle. “I’m just saying that since you’re an awesome person already, I’m sure somebody will surely take notice eventually. Right?”

Yejin snorted loudly. “Since when did you become so cool, huh?”

“I’ve always been cool.” Jaebum said with a wink. “Why? Are you starting to fall for me, noona?”

“Hah! Please!” Yejin scoffed. “But thank you. Even though it was stupid. Thank you for helping me out there and holding my hand. If you didn’t. I might’ve broken down in front of everyone.”

“Anytime.” Jaebum said. “I’ll always help you no matter how ridiculous it is. Since Yejin-noona is my first love and she’ll always have a special place in my heart.”

“Yah,” Yejin warned, but there was a small smile on her face. “No matter what happens, do NOT tell your wife those things ever.

“But what if we end up together?” Jaebum asked innocently (or not).

“You wish.” Yejin said, shoving the monkey plushie on Jaebum’s face. “Now come on. I still kind of wanna enjoy this festival so carry that for me, which by the way kind of looks like you.”

“Yeah, we’re both handsome.”

 

 

“I’m a little bit offended,” Youngjae can hear Jackson saying from the side, but he was not entirely sure since he was too busy on his phone to notice. “We’ve been here almost half an hour already and you’ve only looked or talked or whatever with me for maybe a second or two.” Jackson then swiftly snatched the phone away from Youngjae to the latter’s surprise. “Seriously, Choi Youngjae.”

“Hey!” Youngjae attempted to get back his phone, but Jackson was too fast for him. Damn that boy and his fast reflexes. “I’m not playing with you, Jackson Wang! Give me back my phone or I’m gonna thump you.”

“Nope, I’m not gonna.” Jackson turned and put the phone in the pocket of his skinny jeans, which Youngjae do not really appreciate. He is definitely NOT willing to put his hands into those tight pants (not what you’re thinking). “You’re my partner tonight. I refuse to be ignored!”

“I was just checking with Jinyoung-ah, alright?” Youngjae said in his defense. He did not mean to ignore Jackson to be honest and he do feel sorry for doing that, but confiscating his phone is NOT okay. “I haven’t seen him or Mark since we entered the festival. I just want to know if they’re okay, but he’s not answering.”

Jackson had the audacity to roll his eyes at him. “Don’t you think he’ll be answering now that he’s with Mark? I repeat. He’s with Mark right now, so you don’t really need to worry. Do you really think Mark’s gonna let anything bad happen to Jinyoung? You’ve seen him. You know him. He might not have been obvious the past few years, but trust me, He’s been doing a lot for Jinyoung more than you think, consciously AND unconsciously. So maybe you could turn down the ‘doting mother’ mode for a bit and maybe enjoy the night. It’s a Saturday after all. After tonight, you can have your phone back.”

“Ugh, fine.” Youngjae sighed in resignation. Jackson was right. If he would trust anyone to be with Jinyoung right now, it would have to be Mark Tuan (note: despite him being a huge mess). Besides, maybe he really could enjoy the night right now with Jackson. What could go wrong? Although despite saying this, he can feel something in his stomach once again. Maybe it was something that he ate during lunch time? This has got to stop. “What do you want to do?”

“I don’t know…” Jackson trailed off as he looked around the large selection of booths. “Wanna try marriage booth?”

Youngjae choked as he started to hit Jackson repeatedly, causing the latter to protest loudly. “I refuse to be tied down at this very young age, Jackson Wang!! And you haven’t even asked my parents for my hand! How dare you do this to me?!”

“I’m joking! I’m joking!!” Jackson whined but was laughing nonetheless; trying to avoid being hit by Youngjae’s surprisingly strong hands. “Geez! You need to chill out. I get it. You don’t wanna marry me.”

“That’s right.” Youngjae crossed his arms as he glared at Jackson. “Besides, getting married in a marriage booth is too cheesy. It’s just something that only Jinyoung and Mark would find romantic. We should just go and do something else.”

“Like what?” Jackson asked as if anticipating Youngjae’s suggestion. Unfortunately, he’s got nothing.

“I don’t know. You decide.” Youngjae shrugged.

“Well, you didn’t like my first suggestion,” Jackson pretended to be hurt, but gave in as soon as he saw Youngjae’s expression. “I heard there’s a couples singing contest here. You wanna join?”

“You can sing?” Youngjae blinked at him in surprise. Apparently there were more things he did not know about Jackson Wang.

“Hey,” Jackson said. “Did you think I was in theater camp with you last year just because I had nothing else to do over the summer? I get it. You’re an awesome singer. But I’m not that bad. You should hear me out. I also heard the first prize is a steak dinner for two. Unlimited meat. So, what do say? Are you in?”

“Sure.” Youngjae finally agreed.

 

“Well, we can definitely beat that last one.” Jackson whispered to Youngjae while they waited for their turn and Youngjae could not agree more. “You alone can definitely beat them actually.”

“Can I ask you something?” Youngjae turned to Jackson. This has been bugging him the whole day and if he did not ask it now, then he might miss his chance later. “How are you and that person that you like? Don’t get me wrong, okay? It’s just that, is that person alright with you spending time with me right now?”

This time, Jackson shrugged which added to Youngjae’s curiosity. “I don’t know. I mean, I guess it’s okay since that person has zero idea how I feel, so I’m pretty sure it’s pretty okay if I spend time with you right now.”

“How could you not tell him how you feel?!” Youngjae gasped in surprise. “We broke up a year ago and you still haven’t made progress? I can’t believe you, Jackson Wang.”

Jackson snorted at Youngjae’s reaction. “It’s not like I didn’t try to tell him, you know? But he’s pretty fast and let’s just say I missed my chance. He’s pretty dense you see. Wait, that’s wrong. He’s very, very dense. You think Mark and Jinyoung were already bad? Nope. This person… He’s the epitome of clueless. Believe me.”

“Sounds like a piece of work then.” Youngjae commented. “And you still like him despite all that?”

“If anything I think I just fall for him even more.” Jackson said with a wink.

“Why?”

“Because I like how that person is when he’s with me.”

 

 

 

“You don’t have to look so worried. I’m not gonna murder you or something.” Mark said rolling his eyes as Jinyoung fidgeted at his side. They were somewhere along the streets of the campus, a little bit far away from the festivities already, but the faint sounds of music can still be heard. There were still some students walking here and there, but the place is almost nearly deserted.

“I’m not worried.” Jinyoung retaliated, but the concern in his voice cannot be denied. But that was not because they were not able to enter the festival. Nope. More of the fact that Mark’s still holding his wrist after all this time.

“Really now?” Mark apparently was not buying it either.

“Well, what do you want me to say?” Jinyoung said in defense, because currently his head is feeling a bit woozy and his heartbeat is currently in overdrive right now so thinking straight really was not an option at this very moment.

“Alright.” Mark sighed. “I’m sorry I took you away from the festival, alright? I didn’t really think that you want to go. If you want we can go back, but I’m telling you right now, it’s gonna .”

“Do you really hate spending time with me that much?” Jinyoung asked in a small voice, afraid to know the answer.

Mark turned to him with a serious look on his face. “I didn’t say that. I don’t hate it. You know that.”

“I really don’t.” Jinyoung replied. If he was going to be honest with Mark, he better do it now. He has got nothing to lose anymore.

Mark sighed before heading to sit on curbside with Jinyoung’s wrist still attached to his hand. “Look,” He started when Jinyoung has finally settled in beside him. “I know I’ve been a jerk to you these past few years and I’m not really proud of myself for doing that. I’m not stupid. I know I… I know I hurt you. More than I can imagine.” He took a deep breath and Jinyoung just looked at him not really sure how to react to that. “I know saying sorry is not enough and will never be enough, but I am. I really am, Jinyoungie and being with you the past few days I realized how much I missed it. That’s why,” Mark takes both of Jinyoung’s hands and curled them to fists. “Tonight, I’ll give you a free pass. You can hit me as hard as you can, curse me as loud as you can, say anything you want to me and I won’t say anything back. I promise.”

“Why?” Jinyoung says quietly, lips quivering a little.

“I just told you—“

“I know what you told me.” Jinyoung says. He tried to keep his voice steady, but the emotions bubbling in his heart is overwhelming that he feels a bit suffocated. He tried to snatch his hand back from Mark, but the latter‘s grip was too strong for him. “I heard you loud and clear. I’m asking you why of all times you suddenly go up to me now and just say sorry.”

Mark turned to him and looked him straight in the eyes. “I don’t know why.”

“Bull.” Jinyoung sniffed, fists tightening and almost turning white. Deep inside of his heart, he has always believed that whatever Mark has done to him, he must have done it for a reason, so maybe it would be a little justified if he got a bit hurt that Mark did not even know why he did all those things. This is the man that he fell in love with. Mark Tuan could destroy and build his whole humanity up in seconds and right now all he was doing was shredding Jinyoung into pieces. “That’s ing bull, Mark Tuan. You know it.”

“I know.”

“Then tell me why.” Jinyoung insisted, trying to stop himself from breaking down. “I get a free pass tonight, right? So answer me. Tell me why. Tell me, please. I need to know why.”

“It scares me.”

“What does?” Jinyoung asked, trying desperately to search for the answers in Mark’s eyes.

“Saying the truth out loud.”

“And why does it scare you?” His already erratic heartbeat is already stuttering, especially after feeling Mark’s hands shaking over Jinyoung’s. “And if you say ‘I don’t know’ once again, I’m seriously gonna punch you.”

“Because I’m afraid that the feelings that I have are too much. I’m scared that it overwhelms me. That sometimes it consumes me and I’m scared of the consequences it brings. I’m a mess and I don’t know how to fix myself. But I’m trying. I’m trying so much and I hope one day I’ll be able to.”

For the first time, Jinyoung saw the fear in Mark’s eyes and he understood. He’s trying. Whatever it is he’s attempting to fix. He’s trying. “And do you think you will one day?”

“I’m getting there.”

 

 

“Where did you and Jinyoung run off to last night, huh?!” Jackson demanded as he and Jaebum cornered Mark in his bedroom the next morning. “We didn’t see you two till the end of the festival. What did you guys do?!”

“Nothing!” Mark struggled while his two friends attempted to tickle him on the side. “What the hell’s your problem? We didn’t do anything. Why would we do anything anyway? We hung out, talked, ate that’s it.”

“And how do you feel about that?” Jaebum inquired sitting up on Mark’s bed.

“I don’t know?” Mark shrugged. “Should I be feeling something?”

“God.” Jackson plopped himself face down on the bed and started punching the mattress repeatedly. “God. What do you even know, Mark Tuan? How could you be this...? This… Ugh! You’re seriously hopeless, man. I don’t know what to do with you anymore.”

“What do you want me to do?” Mark sat up as well, a little bit confused about what his friends are saying. “I can’t understand what you guys are saying.”

This time it was Jaebum’s turn to sigh exasperatedly before turning to Jackson’s direction. “Well, you can’t blame me for trying. At least this time, they didn’t fight. However, this does not change the fact that at this rate, Jinyoung might end up with Minjoon-sunbae.”

“Yeah,” Jackson turned around and lied on his back. “Can’t blame him though. I mean Minjoon-hyung is really popular. He’s a good guy and all. Plus, he’s an amazing athlete.”

Mark frowned. “Hey, why is that stupid face suddenly in our conversation?”

Jaebum shrugged. “Well, from what I heard from my source and by ‘source’ I mean Choi Youngjae of course. I’ve heard that a certain senior has taken a major liking to our friend, Park Jinyoung.”

“Please,” Mark snorted loudly, barely hiding his annoyance. “I’m pretty sure Jinyoungie is smart enough not to fall for someone like him.”

“I won’t be so sure though.” Jackson said looking like he was pondering over something. “Aside from the fact that I mentioned so many good things about hyung earlier, he’s been spending lots of time trying to get Jinyoung’s attention. I’m pretty sure his efforts will be fruitful eventually.”

Mark frowned at Jackson, not liking his answer one bit. “That’s crazy.”

“I think Jackson’s right though.” Jaebum nodded and Mark eyed him in disbelief. “My ‘sources’ say and by ‘sources’ I again mean, Choi Youngjae aka Park Jinyoung’s best friend, our Park Jinyoung seems to like someone already. And if we put things together, that can only mean Minjoon-sunbae, right? I mean it kinda makes sense, right?”

“You’re both talking nonsense.” Mark got up from his bed before the other two annoy him further. “I’m leaving.”

 

 

“, do you think it’ll work?” Jackson hissed to Jaebum after Mark had slammed the door shut.

“He’s annoyed, so I think he’s feeling threatened already.” Jaebum slumped back in his seat. “And that could be a good sign.”

“Or it could lead to further misunderstandings.” Jackson suggested. “I don’t know how Youngjae will react to this.”

“He will eat us alive either way.” Jaebum shrugged. “Besides, I panicked. How could he have missed the chance I gave him yesterday?”

“Well, we’re talking about Mark Tuan after all.”

 

 

Jinyoung was out in front of their house, supposedly waiting for Youngjae. Unfortunately, a message coming from Youngjae came in a few minutes ago informing that he would be running a little late than usual. Realizing that it was useless to stay outside anymore, Jinyoung decided to just go back in. That is, until he saw Mark going out of his own house seemingly grumpy about something.

“M-mark!” Jinyoung stood up in surprise, watches as the unexpected visitor trudged towards him. “What are you doing here? Brunch is not until eleven.”

“Jaebum and Jackson are annoying me.” Mark says a little out of breath as he sat on the seat beside Jinyoung’s.

“I see.” Jinyoung said awkwardly and not really sure if he should run back inside the house or sit back down. “Should I leave you alone then?”

“No.” Mark replied so quickly that Jinyoung turned to hide his reddening cheeks. “I want to know if there’s someone that you really like already, because Jaebum and Jackson are telling me that you do.”

Jinyoung choked as he cursed Jaebum and Jackson in his mind. Did they tell Mark already? I’m gonna kill those two. “What?”

“Seeing your reaction, I assume they’re telling the truth then.” Mark straightened up and looked Jinyoung in the eye, causing the latter to blush further. “Please be honest with me. They’re correct, right?”

“Why are you suddenly asking me this?” Jinyoung stuttered for a bit, not really knowing what to do, but the good thing was Mark does not seem to know it was him that he likes.

“Just because.” Mark insisted. “So? I assumed you were lying before when that freshman girl confessed to you, but you’re telling the truth that time, right?”

“Fine...” Jinyoung replied. “You’re right. Okay? Are you happy now?”

“No,” Mark mumbled as he stood up. “I don’t care. Not one bit.” He says finally before heading inside Jinyoung’s house. Watching in confusion outside the porch, Jinyoung was left to wonder if Mark even realized he went inside the wrong home.

 

 

 

 

It was Monday in the afternoon and Youngjae was supposed to be at archery practice already. But no, that would not be possible anymore since he was now running across the school trying from a disaster from happening. He does not know if it was too late yet, then again, maybe he was wrong. Maybe he did not hear the date right. Maybe he was the only person that was missing the sports camp committee meeting right now. He tries to convince himself so much although at the back of his mind, he was 100% sure he copied the dates right.

 

The committee meeting’s not until Wednesday.

 

 

Youngjae shook his head as he tried to push that single thought out of his mind. This was supposed to be a regular Monday. Uneventful so far. That is, until he dropped by the school paper club room earlier to deliver Jinyoung’s phone that he forgot on his desk earlier...

 

“Oh, Youngjae?” Dain-sunbae greeted him, exiting from the room. “Do you need anything?”

“Ah, yes, sorry I hope I wasn’t interrupting anything, sunbae.” Youngjae answered. “I was just here to bring Jinyoung’s phone. He left it earlier before club activities. Is he there?”

“Park Jinyoung?” Dain eyed him in confusion. “I thought Jinyoung’s at the sports camp meeting right now. Minjoon was here earlier telling him that the meeting was moved today. Today’s the meeting. Right?” Dain asked, but was not able to get a reply since Youngjae has already bolted to get to the other side of the school where the SUPPOSED meeting was being held.

 

He can feel his heartbeat beating fast in his ears. What is that Minjoon up to right now? And what is his plans taking away Jinyoung like that? In all his life, Choi Youngjae do not like these kinds of situations. Usually, he was at least one step ahead. He was very worried about Jinyoung right now and he will kill Minjoon if anything happens to him. (Plus he hated the idea that Minjoon spending time with Jinyoung, because even though he will never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever admit it to Im Jaebum, Choi Youngjae is a certified #TeamMark member too.)

Damn that Jaebum... Inventing a cool team name.

 

Rounding out to a corner, Youngjae’s mind was too occupied with his thoughts that he barely noticed bumping into someone, let alone that he was already lying on his back on the hallway.

“Youngjae-ah!” Jackson’s familiar voice filled up Youngjae’s ears as he was helped up. “Are you alright? I’m sorry I didn’t see you!”

If this was any other day, Youngjae would have reprimanded the other for a little bit, but now is not the time since seeing Jackson out and about meant that his suspicions are true. “Where is Mark Tuan?! Tell me!” Youngjae asked in panic.

“M-mark?” Jackson asked, confusion etched on his face. “I don’t know... But I bet he’s at the dance rehearsals right now. Why?”

“!” Youngjae cursed out loud in frustration. “. You’re part of the sports camp committee too! The meeting’s not until Wednesday, right?! Right?!” Youngjae almost shouted, while the other just nodded in return. Jackson was the class president of the other class and already an automatic member of the committee. And seeing him right here... Youngjae does not want to think about it.

 

 

“What’s going on?” Jackson asked as Youngjae started running once more. “Why are you acting like that?”

Youngjae barely had time to look at Jackson. “We don’t have time! We need to get Mark!”

 

 

If this was any other day, Youngjae would be one of those people applauding after Mark had successfully done a triple backflip during dance practice, but that was not the plan obviously. As soon as Youngjae burst into the rehearsal room, he ignored all the dance club members staring at him and stomped over to where Mark was standing.

“You!” Youngjae shouted at Mark who looked up at him in surprise. “You’re coming with me!” He then pulled Mark with him, and with Jackson (who he did not notice followed him even at the dance floor.)

“What the heck?!” Mark protested as he was dragged by Youngjae outside the rehearsal room. He tried to wiggle his wrist from Youngjae’s strong grip to no avail. Youngjae needs him and he would not let go. He would even drag Mark if he needed to. “Choi Youngjae, what the hell are you doing?! Are you crazy?!”

Youngjae does not answer. Trying to figure out the best way to explain the situation to his frustratingly clueless friend. “Remember that time when you told me you’re still figuring things out?” He says after a couple of minutes later, feeling Mark’s wrist twitch a little in his hold. “Well, too bad. You’re taking so ing long. We need to void your chance. You need to figure your out today. Now. And fast.”

“What?” Mark turned to Jackson for assistance, but the latter only shrugged at him in return. “What do you mean?”

Youngjae sighed as he slowed down, letting go of Mark’s wrist at the same time. Taking a deep breath as he checked to see if they were standing outside the right room. There was a small slit on the door; just enough to know and hear that there were people inside the room. Two people to be exact.

“We’re here.” Youngjae whispered nervously, biting his lips realizing that he was right. Jinyoung was inside the room with Minjoon.

“I still don’t get why we’re here.” Mark commented in annoyance, massaging his wrist. Youngjae would have shushed him, but Jackson beat him to it. “I thought the meeting is on Wednesday?”

 

 

It was a quiet voice, but loud enough even for the three people outside to hear. There were no other students out in the hallway at that time and there was no mistake when they heard Minjoon’s confession from inside the room.

“Park Jinyoung, I like you.”

 

 

It might have been a second, a minute, five minutes, ten minutes, an hour or a day, but one thing’s for sure, time seemed to slow down even for the three of them and for Youngjae, he was pretty sure they were all waiting to hear Jinyoung’s answer. But after a few moments, nothing came.

Youngjae was 900% sure that Jinyoung is only figuring out how to turn Minjoon down politely. If there was anything he was more certain of in the world, it was his best friend’s feelings for a certain Mark Tuan. However, the biggest problem is that certain Mark Tuan was not aware of Jinyoung’s feelings and every second here counts. Every second that Jinyoung was not answering could mean lots of interpretations to that certain Mark Tuan.

“Why the isn’t he answering?” Mark’s sudden hiss made Youngjae turn his head at him.

And he was not mistaken, because a second later, he heard Mark stepping back beside him. His expression dark and somewhat afraid. Little by little, Youngjae saw the realization dawning upon Mark’s face as he his heels and ran away as far as he can.

 

Youngjae was about to run after him when Jackson’s hand stopped him. “No,” Jackson shook his head with a serious look on his face. “I’ll talk to Mark.”

“No, but I...” Youngjae protested.

“I know you want to talk to him.” Jackson looked determined. “You can do it later. Right now, I’ll take care of him. You go take care of Jinyoung. He needs you more, right? Trust me on Mark, okay?”

Youngjae takes a deep breath calming himself down. “Okay. Alright. I trust you.” Jackson offered him a smile before running after his best friend.

 

 

“Hey”

Jackson found Mark minutes later at one of the school’s fire escape. If it was any other instance, he would have joked around about his best friend’s love of the dramatics. However, seeing Mark’s slumped shoulder leaning over the ledge, he does not have the heart to do so.

Mark does not answer him, but instead looked hunched his shoulder some more, which caused Jackson to snort out loud as he copied his best friend’s position.

It must have been past five in the afternoon already, seeing as the usual chitter chatter caused by club activities has lessened at some point. For some odd reason, Jackson loved these little background noises. It was loud enough for the atmosphere to not be solemn and lonely, but quiet enough to give him some time to think.

 

Jackson took a deep breath, seeing as Mark does not seem to have any plans of talking anytime soon. “You know, I’m still in love with Youngjae.” He sniffed to hide his embarrassment after admitting that fact.

However, that seemed to do the job, especially when Mark quickly turned his head to look at him. “What the heck?” Mark said in disbelief. “You like Youngjae? Since when?”

Jackson in turn looked at him incredulously. “Since we’re thirteen, . Why did you think I asked him to be my boyfriend in the first place??”

“I thought you two were just playing around that time!” Mark said, pushing Jackson in annoyance. “Then why the hell did you break up with him if you really like him, Jackson Wang?! And why was I not informed about this? Am I not your best friend?”

“Okay, first off,” Jackson emphasized his words with counting off with his fingers. “I think I pretty much made it clear that I don’t ‘like’ Choi Youngjae. I said I’m ‘in love’ with him, so use your words right, Mark Tuan. Second of all, I broke up with him because that’s what he wanted. Lastly, I did not tell you because you have so many s in your mind already and I thought I was really obvious from the beginning. There. A best friend should know about this kind of stuff without me spelling things out for you out right.” Jackson ends with a short grumble that sounded like: ‘but I guess since you’re Mark Tuan I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re this dense.’

“Stupid.” Mark scoffed, which earned him a light punch on the shoulder courtesy of Jackson. “Does Youngjae know how you feel?”

“Nope, I tried but it didn’t work.” Jackson shrugged remembering his attempt at Jaebum’s beach house. “So I’m not gonna tell him. Not now and possibly not in the near future.”

“Why?” Mark raised an eyebrow at him. “It’s not like Youngjae’s with someone right now. He’s very much available. And to think he made out with you a lot last year... He might’ve liked you at least.”

This time, Jackson shook his head. It was something that he was afraid of admitting out loud and has always kept at the back of his mind. “Youngjae does not feel the same way for me like how I feel for him.”

“How did you know?” Mark asked. “Have you even asked him?”

“I’ve already mentioned that I’ve been in love with him since we were thirteen, right?” Jackson asked in return and was at least answered with a nod from Mark. “The night Youngjae and I broke up; he made me promise one thing.” Jackson took a deep breath as he focused his gaze to the already orange-pink sky. “He made me promise to make the person I love feel that the universe belongs to him and that’s what I plan to do. For four years, he’s been everything to me. From the moment that he solved that difficult math equation on our first day of class, I knew my world would be revolving around him. But the thing is Youngjae does not see me that way. He may have some feelings for me back then when we dated, but not as strong as the way I did for him. It was difficult to admit at first, but I’m not Youngjae’s universe. Somewhere out there is a person who would make him feel worthy of everything good in this world and it’s not me. It will never be me. So I guess, yeah... It might sound stupid, but if someone else will be able to make Youngjae feel that way, I’m ready to step out of the way.”

“Heh, that’s ing stupid.” Mark deadpanned at him. “Why don’t you fight for him? Yeah, maybe someone out there may make Youngjae happier, but don’t you trust your feelings enough to show him that you can also give him the universe he’s been talking about? C’mon, Jackson.”

“Did you think I’ve never thought of that?” Jackson asked quietly. “Of course I did. And it’s been eating me up so much that I spent hours just thinking about what I could have done.”

“Then why don’t you try? Mark asked.

“Because I’m afraid that the day would come when he’d realize I’m not enough for him.” Jackson answered quietly.

“That sounds dumb.”

Jackson snorted. “It is and I’m very much aware of that. However, you keep shutting down all my words, but I can say the same to you, Mark Tuan.”

“What?” Mark looked at him curiously. “Why? I don’t like Youngjae. He’s all yours.”

“Come on,” Jackson laughed bitterly. “Of course I’m not talking about Youngjae. Stop playing dumb. This isn’t the time anymore.”

“I’m not playing dumb.” Mark grumbled and Jackson did not have the heart to laugh at his friend’s denial.

“Park Jinyoung.” Jackson says without looking at him, but Mark suddenly freezing at the side was enough. “Aren’t you getting tired, Mark? All these years of teasing and being a jerk around him, but all the while... You’ve always known, don’t you? You might’ve not admitted it out loud or maybe even admitted it to yourself, but you knew. I’m sure you knew. You wouldn’t have run away after Minjoon-hyung’s confession if you didn’t. You wanted to know Jinyoung’s answer, but you don’t at the same time and it kills you that he’s taking too long to answer, doesn’t it?”

Mark doesn’t answer right away and instead opted to bury his face in his arms. “...It does.” Mark says out loud followed by a deep breath. “So ing much that I can feel the pain physically right now.”

“Do you get it now?” Jackson asked. “No, I feel like you’ve always gotten it, but you’re just too confused to say it out loud.”

“I don’t know what to do,” Mark says brokenly. “I’ve hurt him so much, Jackson.”

“Stupid.” Jackson threw the words back at him with a smile. “You’re so confident when you were berating me earlier about Youngjae, but now you’re telling me you don’t know what to do? Why did you think I was talking about my feelings about Youngjae earlier?” But Mark only shrugged at him. “I didn’t tell you all those stuff because I just felt like I wanted to unload my heartaches to you Mark Tuan.”

“Then why did you...?”

“Because I don’t want you to handle things as stupidly as I did.” Jackson answered quickly. “Look, I may not know everything about the history about you two, but I understood enough to know that it’s not too late even for you. Maybe... But I won’t let you waste ten years of your feelings going down the drain. I may not look like it, but I’m a romantic.”

Mark at least snorted at that. “We’re both hopeless cases, aren’t we?”

“We are...” Jackson shrugged. “But I at least was able to make out with the person that I love.”

“Hey! I’ve kissed Jinyoungie too...” Mark protested before he catches himself from saying anything more.

Jackson widened his eyes at him. “You did? Wait... A kiss on the cheek doesn’t count.”

Mark grumbled, “I did kiss him.” But trailed off which sounded like ‘but I don’t think he was awake when I did it.’

“So what the hell are you still doing here?” Jackson asked incredulously. “Minjoon-hyung just confessed to him. You need to start your counter attack.”

“Do you think Jinyoungie would say yes?” Mark was about to leave when he turned back and asked worriedly. “You and Jaebum kept telling me yesterday that Jinyoungie might be into that face.”

“Oh, that?” Jackson snorted. “We were just fooling around with you.”

“What the heck...” Mark was about to hit Jackson when his face showed a different realization. “What the... Jaebum knows too?!”

“...And Youngjae as well.” Jackson laughed out loud at the dread painting on his best friend’s face. “Seriously man, you’re not exactly subtle anyway so don’t worry about it. We’re all on your side so you don’t need to worry. You just do your stuff and we’ll back you up. Jaebum’s already thinking of making t-shirts.”

“No freaking way.” Mark frowned. “I’m gonna kill him.”

Jackson shrugged. “That’s the least of your worries now. Come on, go now. It’s time that you finally run after him.”

 

 

 

 

“Park Jinyoung, I like you.”

 

“Park Jinyoung, I like you.” The words kept on repeating in Jinyoung’s mind as he stared at his Minjoon’s expectant face. How did they end up here, anyway? Jinyoung was just hanging out at the school paper club room waiting for their meeting to start when Minjoon arrived informing him that the committee meeting was moved from Wednesday to this afternoon. He was not even suspicious given that he might not have been listening to Youngjae’s instructions during lunch time since Mark was sitting across from him at the table. (Yes, looks like Mark along with Jackson and Jaebum have now for some reason transferred to their table for lunch time.)

But now, he does not know what to do. Minjoon has always been nice enough to him and looks like he was ready to help Jinyoung anytime he needed to, but him saying those words... Jinyoung does not have the heart to say anything to hurt him, but at the same time he knew he would have to tell him the truth to avoid any other additional misunderstandings.

“Sorry, I know it’s sudden...” Minjoon said scratching the back of his neck shyly. “The thing is I’ve never stopped thinking about you since we met at the grocery at that time. You looked so beautiful back then and I got to know you little by little. You’re so kind and smart and everything and I can’t help but to like you more and more. I’m sorry for taking you from your club meeting. I’ll apologize to Dain for you. It’s just that... I couldn’t keep it in anymore and I just have to tell you as soon as possible.”

Jinyoung considered it for a moment. “Sunbae, I...”

“You don’t have to answer me right now.” Minjoon smiled at him uncertainly. “I know it must’ve been shocking for you since you don’t know me well enough, but I’m willing to wait. Just give me a chance to prove myself to you.”

“No, I’ll answer now.” Jinyoung blurted out. It was now or never. He looked at Minjoon’s expectant expression, but his heart did not waver one bit. “Sunbae has always been nice enough to me, and I really appreciate it so much. And I honestly don’t want to create any wrong expectations here. That’s why I’ll say my response now.” Jinyoung took a deep breath, before proceeding. “There’s someone else I’m in love with, sunbae and I’m not gonna change my feelings soon. I’m sorry.”

Minjoon sighed, but his smile did not disappear from his face. “I figured that much, but Dain told me you’re not with anyone right now, correct?”

“Yes, but I...” Jinyoung replied. “I can wait for that person.”

“If you can do it, then I can do it too.” Minjoon said confidently. “I did not become this school’s ace soccer player if I was not hardworking or I was not patient enough, so don’t think I’ll be giving up anytime on you soon, Jinyoung-ah. As long as you’re not with that person, I won’t stop. I’m pretty stubborn you know. Don’t underestimate my feelings for you.”

“I think you’re the one doing the underestimating, sunbae.” Jinyoung said in return looking Minjoon in the eye. “I’m pretty stubborn myself. And I’m sorry I won’t be able to offer anymore to you. I’m really sorry, but I think I have to leave now.” Jinyoung his heel to exit the room as quickly as possible. He hated how harsh he sounded to Minjoon, but at that moment he realized the extent he would do to fight for his love for Mark. It was as if he had never ever been so sure of anything in his life.

“Mark Tuan,” Jinyoung was almost at the door when Minjoon’s voice echoed around the room. It caused him to turn back to face his senior who was wearing an unreadable expression on his face. “It’s Mark Tuan, isn’t it? The person that you were talking about? The one you’re in love with? He’s the one you were with when we first met, wasn’t he?”

“Yes,” Jinyoung answered confidently. “You’re right. He’s the one.”

“Good to know.” Minjoon said simply. “At least I’m sure who I’ll be up against.”

Jinyoung shook his head, a bit worried about what Minjoon could do. “I’m sorry, sunbae. There’s not even a competition.” He says finally before exiting the room with a heavy heart.

 

 

 

 

Mark could feel the sweat dripping down his temples as he rushed running out of school. Jinyoung’s things were not in his desk anymore when he went back to their classroom and that scared him so much. Jinyoung missing his things meant that he has either gone home (his preferred outcome) or he is somewhere in this large freaking city currently on a date with Mark Tuan’s most hated person in the world right now (aka worst case scenario).

 

And Mark Tuan was ready to tear the whole city of Seoul down just to find Park Jinyoung right now.

 

The city streetlights were starting to light up the way as the sun began to set. There were also a few students passing by as most have already gone home or if not, still in school trying to finish out their own club activities. Despite all that, Mark had barely enough time to notice his surroundings as everything passed by like a blur. He did not care for right now he was blind and deaf from the rest of the world.

 

Mark was about to lose his wit as he turned another corner, but completely felt weak on his knees when he finally, finally sees Jinyoung sitting by himself at the bus stop looking a little bit sleepy and holding a pack of strawberry milk in his hand.

 

A small smile adorned Mark’s features as he took little sure steps towards him. It was not until a few seconds later when Jinyoung finally noticed him. There was still a few feet separating them but not too far for the overwhelming feelings in his heart to engulf him. Mark watches as Jinyoung stood up from his seat, his face reflecting a small grin that was enough for his whole being to stutter.

And at that moment, all Mark wanted to do was to hold him, tight, in his arms, to protect him from the rest of the world from all the pain that could hurt him... From all the pain that he had caused him. He wanted to heal all the scars that he inflicted and repeatedly promise to never ever leave another mark again. And finally, he wanted to just love Park Jinyoung that it was more than too much and never ever stop until he takes his last breath.

 

“I’m sorry I wasn’t able to wait for you earlier in the classroom.” Jinyoung says. “I figured I’ll just wait for you here. I was in a mood for strawberry milk so I went to the convenience store. I also bought one for you. Here.” He showed Mark the pack of drink in his hand. “Mark? Are you alright?”

 

Mark did not answer or rather... He cannot. Seeing Park Jinyoung standing in front of him with that strawberry milk on his hand just reminded him of how much love he has for him; that the feelings he had long kept in were suddenly flowing out and measuring how much he has will be useless anymore.

 

Jinyoung looked at him curiously before reluctantly putting the drink down. “I... I understand if you don’t want it. It’s just I know you came from dance practice and you’re probably tired so I thought—...”

 

 

When the feeling was too overwhelming that it eats you up in the most painfully beautiful way possible...

 

Mark steps forward and reaches out to tightly wrap his arms around an astonished Jinyoung in a time stopping embrace.

 

 

 

“I’m sorry, Jinyoungie.” Mark says brokenly. “I’m sorry for making you wait.”

 


 

 

a/n:

End of chapter!!

Hi guys! I'm so sorry for not updating for almost two months (wow T,T) I just had a lot of things going on with both my professional and personal life that it kind of taken a toll on me.

But nevertheless, I'm back!

I hope you enjoyed reading... If you're still reading this. Thank you! And please look forward to the next chapter because that will be our Mark's POV over the years. And hopefully give us more perspective as to what happened to him. Haha. ;)

And as always, have a nice day wherever you are.

Till next time!! :D