Chapter Two

Most Definitely, You

17/

 

It was an hour before the school’s morning bell rings when Jinyoung found himself sitting on his desk chair and reading the latest chapter of his favorite manga, “Peach Princess”. He had learned his lesson: Park Jinyoung can never ever miss the bus, because one. he is not physically fit and two, another running marathon to school is never good for his being and his shiny leather shoes. That is why for the past few weeks, he had been sleeping really early after doing his homework (avoiding any online videos that might get him into embarrassing situations once again) and waking up at five in the morning to get ready for school.

There were already a few people who were on the school grounds when Jinyoung came in and he could not help but love this limited silence as it gave him time to at least visit the school paper room without the normal hustle and bustle of high school. After making sure that everything was organized before their next committee meeting, Jinyoung decided to finally settle himself down in their classroom. He was glad when he found no one around that morning. He was secretly hoping for it because he wanted to read in peace and he really hated any unwelcome disturbance whenever he reads Peach Princess’s latest adventures. (A certain someone crossed his mind which caused Jinyoung to scrunch his nose in annoyance.)

One by one, Jinyoung’s classmates arrived and filled the once empty classroom while Jinyoung minded his own business. He was just finishing up with the last page of the chapter when he heard Youngjae’s boisterous voice filling up the whole school corridor. Needless to say, Jinyoung unconsciously skimmed through the whole page as fast as he can so that he could join the rest of the class as they judgmentally watch Youngjae makes his dramatic entrance.

And they were not disappointed. Jinyoung wanted to bury his head on his desk as he witnessed his best friend stride inside with an arm raised up as he waved a bright green sheet of paper on his hand. Contrary to what Jinyoung expected, Youngjae was wearing a very dark expression on his face while walking towards his own seat. Jinyoung blinked curiously when he saw their friend Jaebum, who has a smug expression written on his face, following Youngjae inside the room. Jinyoung only hopes that one of the two will be able to explain the situation to him.

Jinyoung might be getting his explanation real soon when Youngjae stomped his feet towards him then slamming the green sheet of paper unceremoniously on Jinyoung’s desk. There was a questioning look on his face as he looked at his friends back and forth afraid that it might be related to him when he saw Youngjae’s “go on take a look” expression. Jaebum on the other hand started snickering in the background barely containing the excitement on whatever the thing Jinyoung was supposed to be looking at.

Jinyoung finally examined the paper on the table and found himself getting more and more confused by the second. “What the hell am I supposed to be looking at?”

“Exactly my question!” Youngjae huffed in agreement as he snatched the paper from Jinyoung’s hands and showed it to Jaebum. “What the hell is this, Im Jaebum? Are you seriously making me question why you’re one of my best friends?!”

Jaebum blinked innocently at them as he smiled. “What? I just wanna have fun with everyone else and my parents are out of town this weekend, hence the party invitation.” He explained as he gestured at the green paper.

Youngjae glared at him in disbelief. “Oh my dear friend, I understand your predicament, but do you really have to be that embarrassing when you announce that you’ll be having a house party on Friday? God.”

“What did he do?” Jinyoung asked curiously, wondering what antics has Jaebum been up to this morning.

Youngjae sighed as he sat on his chair while Jaebum used his desk as his seat. “You’re lucky you weren’t there Jinyoung-ah. It’s so freaking embarrassing. There we were walking to school, and when we were finally inside, he suddenly brought out these stacks of papers and started distributing it to everyone, and I mean EVERYONE we met. He even dragged ME to the lower years’ classrooms, even the upperclassmen’s to distribute flyers!” Youngjae punched Jaebum’s arms. “God, Jaebum. Last time I’ve heard, you have a social media account to invite everyone to your party! So uncool and definitely not very good for my image.”

“It’s not very good for the environment too.” Jinyoung half-joked as he snatched the flyer from Youngjae’s hands. “What is this “Im Jaebum’s A Night to Remember’ printed here? Can’t you think of a more exciting title, Jaebum?”

“Hey,” Jaebum pouted. “I was excited okay? I only found out about mom and dad’s trip last night. I even had to go out to the bookstore to buy the papers for the flyers. Stop trying to be a let-down. I’m trying to create a theme.”

“As much as I appreciate the effort,” Youngjae said. “Isn’t this a bit unsafe? Your address is printed here, Jaebum.”

“Ah well,” Jaebum shrugged his shoulders. “Worst case scenario is we’ll just have to move to a new house.”

Jinyoung snorted. “Rich kids. Anyway, I’m pretty sure this party will have alcohol and all that stuff, right?”

Jaebum nodded as a glint shone on his eyes. “Of course. Do you even have to ask?”

“Well, maybe because your mom and dad would surely kill you if they find out?” Jinyoung answered sarcastically. The more and more they talk about this party, the more and more Jinyoung thinks this is a very bad idea. “Plus, we’re seventeen, Jaebum. No honest to God liquor store will sell booze to a high school student.”

Jaebum wagged his finger as he clicked his tongue. “Got that covered. Remember my cousin, Jiho? He’s in the university, right? He’s definitely in.”

“I don’t know…” Youngjae shrugged. “This doesn’t look good.”

“Oh come on, Youngjae.” Jaebum rolled his eyes. “Since when did you back out to a party? You have to come! You too, Jinyoung, okay?”

“Well, I go to parties where the host is not an underage high school student and also not my best friend!” Youngjae retaliated. “Why do you even want us at your party anyway? Oh my God if Auntie and Uncle finds out about this, they’ll kill us with you!”

“Oh look at this, Choi Youngjae the honorable and noble student.” Jaebum snickered. “Well if you must know, I need your networks, Youngjae and Jinyoung-ah, I need your tons of admirers to fill up the whole place. Plus, I might need you two to help me cleaning house in the morning. So there, you happy?”

This time it was a blushing Jinyoung who intervened. “What do you mean tons of admirers?”

Jaebum snorted. “Are you seriously that dense, Jinyoung-ah?”

“I’m not dense!” Jinyoung replied as he fought the urge to throw his Peach Princess comic book at Jaebum. “I don’t have admirers!”

“I’m afraid I might have to agree with Jaebum this time, Jinyoung-ah.” Youngjae said thoughtfully. “You have a lot.

“What the hell?” Jinyoung shook his head. “Look, can we not talk about this? I mean, why would someone even like me?”

 

“Good question. How could somebody like, Jinyoungie?”

An unwelcome voice joined in the three friends as Jinyoung automatically glared at the direction of the sound. And unsurprisingly, Jinyoung was welcomed by the smiling face of Mark Tuan standing beside Youngjae’s desk.

“Hey Mark,” Jaebum greeted to ease the tension a bit. “Anyway, to answer your question, that’s because from what I’ve heard from his admirers. Jinyoung’s pretty hot.”

Mark acted like he was gonna throw up as he laughed. “Please! Are those people blind? Why can’t they keep their eyes somewhere else?”

Jinyoung thought he heard Youngjae sang a low “Well, as if you don’t stare at him a lot too” under his breath, but he was not so sure when he saw his best friend already looking at the direction of the door.

Instead, Jinyoung opted to reply to Mark instead. “I’m pretty sure those people weren’t blind when they looked at me, but maybe they are now because of my dashing handsomeness, Tuan. Why do you care anyway? Afraid of finally having a competition?”

Mark snorted as he smirked. “Dashing handsomeness? Where are you getting this, Jinyoungie? You’re better than this.”

“Is that all you have to say, Tuan?” Jinyoung clicked his tongue. “Last time I checked, you’re the one who might be blinded by my dashing handsomeness, because you’re the one standing beside my desk this early morning. I’m really starting to believe you really thirst for me, Tuan. Do you really feel the need to look at my face so much? Do you like me handsome or cute?” Jinyoung batted his eyelashes in aegyo. He wanted to dance for joy when he saw a frown on Mark’s face.

“I’d rather claw my eyes out.” Mark said simply as he turned to Jaebum holding another copy of the green flyer in his own hand. “Anyway, you’re not the reason why I’m here, Jinyoungie. I was looking for Jaebum.”

“Good,” Jaebum snorted. “Youngjae and I are starting to feel invisible for a sec…”

“IM JAEBUM!!!” A shout from the door was heard and all of them looked at the panting Jackson holding his own green flyer and was starting to run towards their direction. “YOU’RE HAVING A PARTY?!”

“YEAH!” Jaebum yelled in triumph. “You’re coming right?!”

“OF COURSE! CAN’T MISS IT FOR THE WORLD!!” Jackson was still shouting excitedly as he nudged Jaebum playfully, so that he’ll be the one sitting on Youngjae’s desk instead. “Oh hey, Youngjae! Morning! Oh, you’re here too, Jinyoung? Mark’s here too!”

“See?” Jaebum put an arm around Jackson’s shoulder laughing. “This is a true friend. He didn’t even hesitate!”

Youngjae kicked Jaebum’s leg. “If you maybe stop being lame, we might consider going!!”

“A NIGHT TO REMEMBER. SO INSPIRED!” Jackson said as he rereads the flyer.

Jinyoung was starting to think what kind of breakfast Jackson was eating in the morning for him to have that kind of energy. However, his theory session was interrupted when one of their classmates called for his name about having a visitor. Jinyoung looked up in confusion as he was not expecting anyone this early in the morning. His eyes met Mark’s as he passed a bit annoyed and embarrassed when Mark mouthed in amusement “dashing handsomeness” back at him. Seriously, if Jinyoung could just pinch Mark’s cheeks for an hour till it turns very red, he will be happy for the rest of his life.

 

It came as a surprise to Jinyoung though when he went out of the classroom and saw one of the new members of the school paper club waiting for him. Jinyoung remembers her name as Yiseul, one of their new recruits from the first years. His first thought that there was an emergency at the club when he saw the nervous expression on her face. He was about to ask what was going on when Yiseul shook her head.

“I… I’m s-sorry, Jinyoung-s-sunbae…” Yiseul stuttered looking at the floor in embarrassment. “I didn’t want to b-bother you this e-early, but…” She trailed off.

Jinyoung looked at her in confusion. “Is everything all right? Did something happen?”

“I- sunbae… I…” Yiseul looked up and Jinyoung could feel her nervousness just by looking at her expression. “I… I saw t-these flyers earlier and I know you’re friends with Jaebum-sunbae, so I wanted to ask you if… if we… if t-the two of us… could…”

Jinyoung watched her curiously. “If the two of us can…?”

“She likes you, stupid.” A voice came from the doorway and Yiseul squeaked as Jinyoung found himself watching Mark emerging out of the room. “Can’t you get that from what she’s saying? She clearly wants you to go to Jaebum’s party with her.” Jinyoung glared at Mark who casually joined them on the hallway leaning against the wall with his arms crossed.

“O-oh,” Jinyoung said dumbly as he was now the one who was flustered. “Is that true, Yiseul?”

Yiseul blushed as she nodded, looking about to cry. “Yes, sunbae. But it’s alright if you don’t want to go. You might be going with someone already! I just thought I should… you know, try.” She said quickly.

“Please,” Mark scoffed. “As if Jinyoungie could get a date.”

Jinyoung glared at him. “Can’t you mind your own, business, Tuan?” he said in annoyance. “What are you even doing here? And how come you assume that I won’t be going with someone to the party? You don’t know anything about me.”

That seemed to tick Mark off when he answered. “Going with Youngjae doesn’t count.”

“Well, who says it’s with Youngjae in the first place!” Jinyoung replied and he did not even know why he was getting angry about proving he will be going to a party with a hypothetical person.

Mark looked like he was about to retaliate when Yiseul’s voice interrupted the impending argument. “You already have someone you like, sunbae?”

That seemed to ground Jinyoung for a bit, because for that he did not know the answer to. Yiseul was looking at him intently and he hated that Mark was staring at him as well as if anticipating for an answer. It might have been a couple minutes of silence when Mark finally clicked his tongue and snorted like he knew Jinyoung does not know the answer himself. That actually struck a chord in Jinyoung. How could Mark just come in and in with in this conversation like he knew everything about Jinyoung? Why does he always feel the need to act this smug? Just to annoy him? Well he succeeded on that at least, Jinyoung thought miserably.

He did not know the logic of the next thing that he did, but he looked at Yiseul with an apologetic smile. He then turned to Mark to spite him, to show him that No. you don’t know me anymore, Mark Tuan, when he answered.

“I’m sorry, Yiseul-ah. I really am. But yes. I have someone that I like already.”

 

“So you like someone and you’re not telling me?” Youngjae asked wiggling his eyebrows. He and Jinyoung were heading to the cafeteria for lunch. “I feel a bit betrayed, Jinyoung-ah. Who is it?” There was a teasing note in his voice.

“You know that’s not true.” Jinyoung sighed.

“I’m afraid these messages beg to differ.” Youngjae waved his phone on Jinyoung’s face showing the numerous messages he received. “That’s not what the whole school knows now.”

“Well, you should be the first person to know that’s not true.” Jinyoung answered shaking his head. “I wish people would stop talking about it. Do they really care about something like that?

“Well, if you do not believe what Jaebum told you earlier, then believe it now.” Youngjae laughed. “Anyway, why did you say even say that to Yiseullie? You could’ve just told her you’re not ready for relationships or something of the sorts.”

“Well, it’s because Mark’s being annoying acting like a know it all.” Remembering what happened earlier was giving Jinyoung another headache. “Like he’s so sure there’s no one I like or I can’t get a date. I just want to wipe that smirk off his face.”

“I see.” Youngjae answered simply with a chuckled. “It was because of Mark…”

As if on cue, they heard a loud metal bang of a locker door slammed closed and Jinyoung was sure it was not only Youngjae and him who jumped in surprise. A few seconds later, they saw Mark stomping into the walking crowd with a frown on his face. Following him was Jackson and Jaebum who looked both confused. Jinyoung met Jaebum’s eyes as if asking what’s going on to which the latter answered mouthing an “I have no idea” while shaking his head.

“What the hell is his problem?” Jinyoung asked eyebrows furrowed.

Youngjae answered with a smile and a shrug pulling his best friend to the cafeteria. “Looks like he’s been in a bad mood since this morning. Maybe he heard some bad news?”

 

 

14/

 

“Are you sure this is gonna work?” Youngjae asked with a raised eyebrow; highly doubting the success rate of his friend’s plan.

“Of course!” Jaebum assured him. “This has been tried and tested. I’ve seen it work in the drama that my mom and I were watching last night! It’s 100% full proof!”

Youngjae gasped in disbelief that Jaebum had to shush him. “That’s where you got your idea from?! I’ve watched that scene too and I can’t believe you’re plan of getting Jinyoung and Mark to talk to each other was from a late night drama!”

“Hey, I don’t know what you’re complaining about.” Jaebum frowned at him. “You’ve watched it. You’ve seen it work on TV too!”

“What… This is so stup...” Youngjae sputtered as he pinched Jaebum’s arm. “We’re not in a drama! It’s not gonna work!”

Jaebum glared at him as he rubbed the spot where Youngjae pinched him. “Well, it’s not gonna work if you don’t keep your voice down. So why don’t you just sit tight and keep quiet while we wait for Jackson.”

“Why do we need Jackson anyway?” Youngjae said crossing his arms. “If anything, he’ll be the one who’ll get us caught. He’s so noisy.”

Jaebum gave him an incredulous look. “Are you kidding me? We need him. Do you think Mark will come with me if you know you’re there? You being there means Jinyoung will be there too. Remember what he did when he and Jinyoung were assigned to clean the classroom together? Once he suspects something, he’ll be out of the room faster than Jinyoung eats his strawberries. So yeah, we need Jackson to lure Mark out.”

“And Jackson’s in on this?” Youngjae asked. He never really had anything against Jackson. He barely knew the guy. He was just this noisy classmate who hung out with Mark a lot and spouts English words every now and then in the middle of sentences. That’s it.

“Do you think I’ll go forth with this plan if he wasn’t?” Jaebum asked with a condescending tone.

“Okay fine.” Youngjae sighed finally. “Stop being sarcastic already.”

It was one of the usual Sunday brunches that the Park and Tuan family had always held and for the past year, Youngjae along with Jaebum (and Jackson joins in from time to time as well) had been a part of. It all started when Jinyoung had kindly invited Youngjae to come over one brunch and of course, he was more than happy to oblige. Jinyoung never told him the real reason behind it, but he did not need to. Youngjae knew he was there to, putting it simply, make things not awkward, which was not a problem on his part He has known both Jinyoung and Mark’s family over the years and has great rapport with them. Plus, who could say no to free food? Nope, absolutely not Choi Youngjae.

Needless to say, this Sunday was the same as usual. Although the difference was that today, Youngjae found himself hiding in the Park’s garage waiting for Jackson to execute their plan. Youngjae is worried, because he knew although Jinyoung was still helping his mother and sister wash the dishes and Mark was playing Gameboy in the living room with Jackson, their absence will soon make the others suspicious. Besides, when did Jaebum’s plans work anyway? The past year, Youngjae watched his friend’s many plans (more like traps) to get Jinyoung and Mark to reconcile crash and burn in front of his eyes. Nevertheless, he continued to support Jaebum despite that. Choi Youngjae is still a good friend and wanted everything to get back to normal after all.

It was probably half an hour later and both he and Jaebum were both getting more and more impatient when the garage door finally opened. They watched Jackson walking in with an apologetic smile on his face.

“Sorry guys.” Jackson said while scratching his head. “Mark’s really a pain in the when he loses so we needed to play again and again till he wins. I hope you didn’t wait long?”

Jaebum shook his head. “No worries. So is the plan still good?”

“I think so?” Jackson nodded. “I mean, I trust you could take care of Jinyoung, right? Let me take care of the hard part.”

“Which is?” Youngjae asked curiously.

“Getting Mark into Jinyoung’s bedroom.” Jackson looked at him with an expression like Youngjae just asked him a dumb question. It should have annoyed Youngjae that he was talking to the best friend of his best friend’s “archenemy”, but for some reason his mind was just registering “Oh, we’re talking. I’m talking to Jackson Wang.”.

Youngjae raised his eyebrow. “And you think you can do it?”

“Would you like me to show you my world class acting skills?” Jackson said with a wink.

“Sure, why not?” Youngjae challenged with a smile.

“Alright, alright. Enough.” Jaebum raised his hands. “We’re wasting time. And I’m sure Jinyoung’s gonna search for us any minute now. Let’s bring our hands together, shall we?” Jaebum reached his right hand forward, to which Jackson followed with much enthusiasm.

Youngjae meanwhile looked at the other two in judgement. “Uhm no way I’m doing that.”

“Come on, man!” Jackson said as he pulled Youngjae’s hand to join theirs. “Fighting Youngjae! Fighting!”

 

“Hey,” Youngjae turned to Jackson as they stood outside of Jinyoung’s bedroom fifteen minutes later. Jaebum was holding the door close as they continue to ignore Jinyoung’s pleas to be let out. “Can I ask you something?”

“Hmm?” Jackson replied which Youngjae took as a sign to continue.

“Why are you helping us?” Youngjae asked again out of curiosity. “I mean okay, it’s not like I don’t appreciate it. I really do! But, please don’t take this the wrong way alright? You were not there when things were fine with Jinyoung and Mark. What will you get from this?”

This time Jackson offered him a smile. “Well, you could say I’m a good friend.” Perhaps seeing Youngjae raised a doubtful eyebrow, he continued with a sigh. “You’re not convinced with that I think. Ah well, let’s just say that you’re not the only one who realized something.”

“Oh.” Was all Youngjae managed to say.

Jackson snorted. “Yeah.”

 

“Im Jaebum you’re so dead!” Jinyoung knocked both of his fists on his bedroom door. “Open this door now!!”

“No!” Jaebum shouted from the other side of the door. “Not until the two of you talk!”

Jinyoung sighed hopelessly as he knew that it was to no avail. It was not like this was the first time anyway and he knew how stubborn Jaebum was when it comes to these kinds of things. Leaning his head on the door, Jinyoung tried to find a way to make the situation less awkward than it is. Besides, he was hyper aware of the presence behind him and it seemed like Mark had not moved from his position either.

He should have known this was a trap already when it was Jaebum had encouraged them to go to his bedroom so that they could take a look at Jinyoung’s “Peach Princess” comic collection. Jinyoung should have known. Jaebum hates "Peach Princess". He should have realized it as well when Youngjae and Jaebum excused themselves to get snacks downstairs, because firstly, they had just eaten their lunch and secondly, they are so lazy that it was always Jinyoung who takes it upon himself to get snacks for them. He was still a bit shell shocked when he was just rolling on his bed alone when he heard some noises outside his room and found himself watching his bedroom door open as Jackson pushed a squeaking Mark inside.

It was safe to say that Jinyoung now holds the world record of the fastest person to run from bed to door in a matter of milliseconds.

It was no use. Jinyoung thought miserably as he crawled his way to his bed. Avoiding staring at Mark as much as possible, Jinyoung buried himself under his blanket. Surely his friends would get bored soon enough and perhaps they will be out soon. They cannot stay here forever. Tomorrow is a school day and for sure their parents will be searching for them wondering what was up with them. Jinyoung tried to helplessly convinced himself, but in the end time seemed to crawl its way as slowly as possible as he watched the second hand tick on his wall clock.

Mark was still standing where Jackson left him. Perhaps growing tired without doing anything, Jinyoung watched in his peripheral as Mark leaned back on the wall behind him. He was still silent and just looking stubbornly on the ground. Nothing’s gonna come out of this. Jinyoung thought. He knew Jaebum meant well whenever he tried to get the both of them to talk, but Jinyoung tried but was only met with silence.

It was an excruciating ten minutes and Jinyoung tried multiple times to fall asleep, but no amount of sheep had helped him forget of the standing boy with him. Being in the same room as Mark brought back so many memories to Jinyoung. How could he possibly forget? The two of them practically spent most of their childhood here. Jinyoung remembered miserably at the memory of the night before Mark left for America; the very last time that they really spoke as best friends. Suddenly a certain memory crossed in Jinyoung’s mind of Mark closely leaning into him and he could not help but blush on that. Bringing the blanket above his head as he willed himself to once more bury that moment in his head.

There was a sound of movement and Jinyoung, out of curiosity, brought his blanket down as he watched Mark made his way to Jinyoung’s study table. Watching carefully as Mark sat quietly on his desk chair, Jinyoung sat up in surprise when he saw the other started looking at the books and notes that were on the table. His mind whirled in panic as Jinyoung tried to remember the things on his desk, because there was a particular journal that he would really, really hate if Mark gets a hold of (in it were multiple entries of a certain kiss that Jinyoung had been obsessing about the past year and would like it to be kept secret in case he did dream about it). But looks like it was too late as he watched in horror as Mark finally got a hold of the leather bound journal in his hands.

“Don’t touch my stuff!” Jinyoung squeaked as he jumped on the bed to snatch the journal from Mark’s hand.

Mark’s expression turned from surprise to triumph as realization dawned upon him. He looked from the journal to Jinyoung and smiled when he stood up to keep the journal out of Jinyoung’s reach.

“Hey! Give it back!” Jinyoung jumped as Mark raised his arms. Jinyoung hated it. He hated it so much that his growth hormones have not kicked in yet and Mark is still at list a head taller than him. He hated that he had to look up every time they would have an argument and his voice is not helping. Jinyoung pouted as he suddenly remembered that his “small fry” buddy, Bambam has a deeper voice now. They were both still small, but Jinyoung still squeaks like a rubber duck (as Mark had pointed out one time.)

“Huh? Why would I do that?” Mark laughed as he watched Jinyoung struggle. “Did I get a hold of something important? Is this Jinyoungie’s diary?”

“That’s none of your business!” Jinyoung pushed him slightly. “Don’t be mean! Come on, give it back!”

“No way!” Mark dodged another push from Jinyoung. “I’ve got Jinyoungie’s dirty little secrets in my hand.” He teased as Jinyoung stepped on his left foot which caused the both of them to topple over.

In panic, Jinyoung quickly scrambled on top of Mark who was unfortunately still holding the journal on his hands. He almost screamed in horror when he saw Mark opening a random page on the journal and started reading from it.

Mark only smirked at him as he started. “August 14, I was really nervous today. Everyone was telling me that I’ll do well in my performance…”

“Stop! No!” Jinyoung screamed. He knew all of the entries in that book like the back of his hand and he does not like where this is going.

“I really want to do well, because Mama and Papa will be watching…” Mark continued as Jinyoung tried to pry the thing from him helplessly. He knew that Mark is way more stronger than him and Jinyoung fought with all his strength to fight back the tears starting to form in his eyes. To be honest he did not know if he wants for Mark to read what was next nor does he want to find out Mark’s reaction after reading the text.

“I was really glad that…” Mark stopped midway and his smile dropped from his face.

“Mark, please…” Jinyoung whimpered in surrender. He knew why Mark stopped reading. It’s because the next written word was his name and Jinyoung was not able to stop him. How could he? It was an entry written when they were a couple of eight years old and of course most of the written things were about his former best friend.

“Stop.” Jinyoung was already shaking and he did not realize that the tears are falling from his eyes. He was frozen from where he was sitting on Mark’s stomach and he watched from blurry eyes as Mark sat up putting down the diary on the floor. Jinyoung sniffed when he saw Mark’s face a few inches from him and jumped when he felt the latter’s hand on his shoulder. Jinyoung froze when Mark slowly pushed him to the side so that he could stand up.

Mark walked towards the door and Jinyoung waits on the side of his bed. But before Mark could call out to Jaebum, he still managed to turn around and face Jinyoung.

“We’re not friends anymore, Jinyoungie. I can’t stay with you anymore.”

Those were the final words he said as he ordered Jaebum to be let out. There was a wide grin on Jaebum’s face as he opened the door which dropped almost instantaneously probably when he saw Jinyoung and Mark’s expressions. There was an uncomfortable air as Jinyoung watched Mark telling Jaebum to step aside as he stomped out of the room seemingly followed by Jackson who was asking what happened in a very loud voice. Jaebum looked at him guiltily as Youngjae rushed in to comfort him. He must have looked really miserable right now.

“Sorry.” Jaebum apologized. “I was just…”

“I know.” Jinyoung shook his head. For some reason, he did not like feeling this hopeless anymore. He did not want Youngjae or Jaebum to look this worried every time. He just wanted to be okay. He knows he was going to be okay. And maybe the whole reason why he felt this helpless was he chose to be that way. At that moment, Jinyoung with all his heart decided that he would try to move on, because Mark was right. He cannot stay with Jinyoung anymore and he needed to accept that. On the other hand, Mark was also gravely mistaken. Jinyoung will always consider Mark as his friend. Nothing will be able to change that.

“I’m still sorry.” Jaebum sighed as he sat on Jinyoung’s bed with a solemn expression.

Jinyoung nodded as he accepted his apology. “But Jaebum-ah?”

“Hmm?”

“Please don’t try anymore, okay? This is the last time.”

Jaebum reluctantly look at him. “Okay.”

 

 

7/

 

“Jinyoungie! Jinyoungie! Over here!”

Jinyoung was running around trying to desperately find a place to hide since Youngjae was already on number seven on his way from counting to ten. He scrambled towards the sound of Mark’s voice where he was hiding behind the rose bushes in Jaebum’s house garden. There was not much space behind it and luckily Jinyoung was small enough to squeeze in beside Mark.

“Ready or not here I come!” They heard Youngjae screamed out as he started his search. Both he and Mark put a finger on each other’s lips to shush one another. They know that Youngjae brought his puppy Coco with him and they could not afford to be heard nor sniffed.

A few seconds later, they heard Jaebum’s disappointed squeal as Youngjae found him hiding one of the pillars by the garden, followed by the sound of running footsteps and Coco’s excited barks.

It was a few minutes later already and Jinyoung’s legs are starting to tire out and he was worried if Youngjae was still searching for them or if he and Jaebum decided to play with Coco instead. His knees were starting to shake as he fought hard to stay crouched down when he felt Mark tapping his shoulder.

“Is Jinyoungie tired already?” He whispered worriedly.

“No, I’m okay.” Jinyoung smiled as he gave him thumbs up. “I don’t want us to lose.”

Mark seemed to be unconvinced by this. “I don’t like when Jinyoungie is not okay. It’s okay to lose. We can both lose and we’ll be “it” together. Also I think Youngjae forgot about us already.”

Jinyoung considered this for a moment. “Okay.”

“Come on.” Mark offered his hand which Jinyoung willing took. They left their hiding place and walked hand in hand as they searched for their friends. Sure enough, they found Youngjae and Jaebum running around while Coco chased after them totally forgetting that they were supposed to be playing hide and seek.

“Hey!” Mark protested. “You forgot to search for us!”

“Oh!” Youngjae stopped running and a little out of breath. “You didn’t run off somewhere? We thought you guys gave up playing. Sorry!”

“Why would we do that?” Jinyoung pouted.

“You guys always run somewhere on your own.” Jaebum scratched his head. “Why? Do you still want to play hide and seek?”

“Of course!” Jinyoung and Mark answered in unison.

“Alright,” Youngjae said as he carried Coco in his arms. “But who’s gonna be it? Is it still me?”

“Jinyoungie and I will be it.” Mark said with finality as he pulled Jinyoung with him to start playing again. “Count to ten, okay?”

There was a chorus of “Okay!” from Youngjae and Jaebum as well as a bark from puppy Coco as they start the game again. Both Jinyoung and Mark covered their faces as they started to count from one to ten together. When they reached number five, Jinyoung felt Mark pulling the hem of his shirt and he nearly stopped counting when Mark whispered. “No, please continue!” to him. That was when Jinyoung (still counting six, seven, eight…) turned to peek at his best friend who he saw was smiling at him, not covering his face anymore. Mark reached to whisper something in his ear.

“Jinyoungie, you’re my best friend, okay? We’ll be together forever.”

“…Ten!” Jinyoung finished his count with a smile. He removed his hands from his face and that was when he saw a smiling Mark offering his pinky finger at him. Jinyoung twirled his own pinky with his friend’s as they successfully sealed their promise.

Jinyoung once again taking Mark’s hand, they walk hand in hand as they began searching for their friends.

 

 

17/

 

“You are so not wearing that.” Youngjae deadpanned as he welcomed himself into Jinyoung’s room.

“What?” Jinyoung asked as he closed his bedroom door. “Don’t tell me I should wear something like what you’re wearing tonight.” He gestured at Youngjae’s outfit, which, Jinyoung shivered, involved a very tight pants.

“Oh, but you need to, Jinyoung-ah!” Youngjae jumped excitedly as he showed Jinyoung the gym bag that he brought tonight, containing what Jinyoung could only assume as heaps of clothing for Jinyoung to wear.

“What’s wrong with my white shirt and jeans?” Jinyoung asked in confusion. He did look at himself at the mirror earlier and he looks pretty decent in his opinion.

Youngjae shook his head as he looked at him from head to toe. “Au contraire, my innocent baby Jinyoung-ah, tonight is for us to have fun! You need to emphasize your assets!” He winked as he gestured at Jinyoung’s . “I mean, I know you’re conscious about your since Mark kept teasing you about it, but he’s very wrong! You should really show them off, Jinyoung-ah! Those pants are not good for you.”

Jinyoung looked offended, because it was his favorite pair of jeans. “How dare you. And why are you so excited anyway? You’re the one who kept complaining about Jaebum’s “A Night to Remember” bash all week!”

Youngjae shrugged. “A party is still a party! And besides, it’s very rare for you to come anyway. A lot of people will be pleased. Now come on, chop-chop! We don’t have all night!”

“I don’t think this party is a good idea after all.” Jinyoung said when Youngjae started pulling out different articles of clothes out of his gym bag.

“Nonsense.” Youngjae said as he tried and compared different types of outfits for Jinyoung to try on. “Jaebum needs us right? For the clean-up in the morning.”

Jinyoung rolled his eyes. “As if that’s the reason you want to go. God.” This time it was Youngjae’s turn to roll his eyes at him. “My parents will kill me if they knew where I’m going.”

“They think you’re going at Jaebum’s for a sleepover which technically is true anyway.” Youngjae replied. “So stop being such a worry wart already. It’s getting late and I’m pretty sure Jaebum’s gonna be contacting us any second now.”

As if on cue, both of their phones started getting message alerts. All Jinyoung could do was to sigh in defeat. “Fine.”

 

In the end, he ended up wearing the same tight pants that Youngjae brought for him because his best friend kept on insisting on the emphasis of his assets (whatever those are). He did manage to keep his precious white t-shirt, but Youngjae accented it with a gray blazer which, Jinyoung would not admit out loud, fitted him well. Finally, Youngjae finished him up with non-prescription glasses to wear so that, as Youngjae had mentioned to him earlier, would make people look at his eyes more. Luckily, his parents were not able to see his ensemble when they said goodbye that night since his dad was absorbed watching a football game and his mom was reading a book.

It was a ten minute drive to Jaebum’s house. Good thing that Youngjae was able to borrow his older brother’s car for the night since it became convenient for them (especially for Jinyoung since he could barely walk in the pants that he was wearing.) By the time that Youngjae was finally able to find a parking spot, it looked like the party was already on a full swing. They said hello to a few of the familiar faces as they went in. They then decided it was best to search for Jaebum first, but it proved to be a little bit difficult since it seemed that the whole school population came and they could barely hear each other from the loud blasting of the music.

“Hey!” Youngjae whispered to him. Technically he was shouting at Jinyoung already, but he could not differentiate things anymore. “Ahra-sunbae said that Jaebum’s at the pool area. Shall we go look for him there?”

“Sure.” Jinyoung nodded as one familiar looking wasted tenth grader almost toppled onto him.

It was the same mess they found when they arrived at the pool area. They did find Jaebum quickly as their friend was showing off his diving techniques to those who were willing to watch. Jinyoung was a bit concerned though since it looked like Jaebum had already drank some and was already red on his cheeks. Last thing they want is to have Jaebum drowning in his own party, so they decided to say hello to their friend and get him as far away from the water until he was sober again.

“Guys!” Jaebum ran towards them when Youngjae shouted for him. “You came! How are you enjoying the party so far?”

“We’ve just arrived.” Jinyoung answered. “And looks like you’re having fun.”

“I am. I am.” Jaebum said as he pulled the two of them inside the house. “That means you have to have fun too! Come on! We have lots and when I say lots, I mean LOTS of drinks for all the guests tonight! Courtesy of my cousin, Jiho, of course!” He offered them a bottle of beer each. “Come on, drink up! Drink up! Let’s make this a night to remember!!” Jaebum raised his bottle.

Jinyoung and Youngjae snorted as they raised their own bottles just to humor Jaebum. “Cheers!”

“Oh,” Jaebum said after he drank almost half of the bottle. “I think Mark and Jackson are finally here as well! Let me just go and say hello! You guys are gonna be fine here?”

“Of course!” Youngjae answered as he almost finished his bottle also. “Go ahead while Jinyoung and I socialize!”

It turned out, by Youngjae’s definition of socialization meant that Jinyoung watches as his best friend drank his way all through the night while Jinyoung watched at the sidelines. Don’t get him wrong. This was not Jinyoung’s first time at a party and that meant he knew how he needed to be watchful about Youngjae. At home or at school, it was always Youngjae who watches over Jinyoung. There was no doubt about that. But here, let’s just say Jinyoung learned it the hard way that he needed to be the one in control in this type of situation.

There were a few of their classmates that Jinyoung had met and talked as the night carried on, some of them were also members from the school paper club. He was even surprised to find Yiseul there and they had a pretty decent conversation after she told him that she was already cool about the confession she made earlier. In the end, Jinyoung was left wondering instead of how many fifteen year olds were in this party anyway.

It was around the time when Jinyoung was watching Youngjae playing beer pong with some of their classmates that Jinyoung found himself tired on his feet. He did not even dance, although he rejected at least six people who asked him too. He just needed to sit down and rest his legs. The three bottles of beer he drank was also not helpful. Thankfully, he saw a free bean bag chair in Jaebum’s living room. Jinyoung was more than glad to sink into it once he had the chance.

He did pass out for a few minutes out of sheer tiredness, but unfortunately his peaceful slumber was interrupted when he felt being shaken awake. Jinyoung groaned when a very excited Youngjae slumped onto him saying something that Jinyoung could barely comprehend.

“What were you saying?” Jinyoung said as he tried to stretch with difficulty, given that Youngjae was clinging onto him.

“I said,” Youngjae said impatiently. Jinyoung looked at his best friend’s very red face. He was a bit slurring his speech and practically putting all of his weight onto Jinyoung. “Jiho, you know? Jaebum’s cousin? I think he likes me! He keeps talking to me all night and I think he’s gonna ask me out!”

That woke Jinyoung up. He was a bit worried, because as much as Youngjae keeps a very adventurous image, he was not like that at all. He had only been in a relationship once and Jinyoung never really trusted him going out with someone like Jiho. He had met Jaebum’s cousin before and he never mentioned it to Jaebum, but Jinyoung never brought himself to trust Jiho. Not before and most certainly not now.

“Are you sure?” Jinyoung asked as he sat up, feeling sober all of a sudden.

“Yeah!” Youngjae hugged him tightly. “He’s just getting drinks for us now, but Jinyoung-ah what am I gonna do? I think we’re gonna kiss! Gosh, he’s so cool and handsome! I can’t believe he likes me!”

“Just… Just be careful, okay?” Jinyoung tried to offer his best smile at Youngjae.

“I will!” Youngjae smiled back. “Oh here he comes!” Jinyoung watched Jiho wave at them with two bottles in his hand. “Wish me luck, okay? I’ll tell you what happens later!”

“Be careful!” Jinyoung once again calls after Youngjae who turned back to wave at him.

Sighing at being alone once more, Jinyoung decided to just search for Jaebum instead. He did found his friend soon enough, unfortunately for him, Jaebum was already passed out on one of the beach chairs at the poolside. Jinyoung shook his head. He was tired and still a bit tipsy from all the drinks earlier. He decided to finally call it a night and proceed to Jaebum’s room instead. He found out though that all the second floor rooms were locked (perhaps to avoid any mess that hormonal high school kids might come up with). Luckily though, Jinyoung knew a spare key hidden inside one of the display vases there and was able to lock himself up in Jaebum’s room.

It was about past midnight when Jinyoung woke up once more. Feeling up his dry throat, he reluctantly decided to leave his safe and comfortable haven to get a glass of water in the kitchen. Maybe he will be able to get some snacks too. The last thing that he ate was the sandwich he made at home that afternoon and an empty stomach plus alcohol is certainly a terrible combination.

The party was still in up and about when he went downstairs, although there were some additional passed out bodies in the hallway. Jinyoung was quite pleased that there has not been any weird substances on the floor so far. It would really be a pain in the morning if ever. Thankfully, it was a bit peaceful when Jinyoung came in the kitchen. Most of the time, just some people replenishing the booze supplies outside. He was able to get his glass of water quietly when he looked passed the kitchen doors to see one of the senior girls pulling Mark in tow with her. Jinyoung almost spit out what he was drinking as he felt the need to look away. Somehow, their faces were just too close for comfort and Jinyoung felt like he was intruding just by seeing them. All of a sudden, his headache has gotten worse.

Sensing that he needed some fresh air, Jinyoung decided to get out of the house and maybe enjoy some alone time in the garden. There was fortunately fewer people when he went out aside from the suspicious noises he heard behind the bushes (He would rather not find out). However, it was certainly a lot better than staying inside and further damaging his eardrums. Being in a peaceful place helps him think. On the other hand, thinking might not be good for him at the same time as the image of Mark with their senior once again crossed his mind and Jinyoung could not help but wonder in annoyance why was he bothered by it anyway? Was it because he felt envious that Mark was able to be with someone tonight? Jinyoung could get a date if he wants to, right? Although, he sighed dejectedly, he did not want to anyway. At least the only consolation here is that Mark seemed to be in a better mood compared to the past few days.

His thoughts were suddenly interrupted when he heard some noises coming out of the house and Jinyoung never made sense of what he did next, but he quickly hid himself behind the pillar columns in the garden. He knew he made the right decision though when he heard Jiho’s voice among them.

“Come on!” It was Jiho’s voice and Jinyoung felt his heartbeat quicken when he realized that he could not hear Youngjae’s voice among them. He tried to take a peek and sure enough, his best friend was not with him. Where is Youngjae? “It still counts! We did make out and it’s not my fault if he passed out drunk! I still got him to bed! That’s the deal, right?”

“No way, man!” One of Jiho’s friends laughed. “The deal is to get him to bed. You just brought him to bed! Nothing happened. Zero . Zero money. Unless you go upstairs at this second, wake him up and do it. Until then, nothing.”

“Fine,” Jiho said confidently. “But make sure you have your cameras ready. I’m going now.”

There was a chorus of woot from Jiho’s friends and Jinyoung gasped as he felt his blood run cold by the second. He knew it. Gosh he ing knew it. All he just wanted to do right now was to beat Jiho up and make him pay. He would just worry about apologizing to Jaebum and his parents after, because how dare this… this make a game out of his best friend.

Before he could think anymore, Jinyoung found himself marching towards Jiho and his friends. He shouted a “Hey!” to Jiho as he landed a punch on the latter’s face. It seemed there was too much adrenaline on his punch as Jinyoung watch Jiho fall down the floor. He did not expect the recoil on his fist though as he almost screamed in pain after. . Jinyoung thinks. Punching hurts. .

“Don’t you ever ing go near Choi Youngjae again!” Jinyoung shouted as he was being restrained by Jiho’s friends. “I’m gonna ing kill you if you ever touch him again!”

He was still being restrained by the others when Jiho finally stood up and Jinyoung was more than glad to see that he was at least able to make the corner of his mouth bleed. Jiho was smirking as Jinyoung was struggling to be let go. He reached out a hand to cup Jinyoung’s cheek as he smirked and all Jinyoung wants to do was to punch his face some more until he erases that smug expression on Jiho’s face.

“If it isn’t Park Jinyoung.” Jinyoung tried with all his might to avoid Jiho’s disgusting touch. “What did you say to me earlier? You’ll kill me if I touch Youngjae again? Did you even know that you were my first choice? It’s just that Youngjae was the easier choice out of the two, isn’t he? So why don’t we go upstairs and you can watch us? Or maybe you’d like to join us, Jinyoungie?”

“You’re disgusting!” Jinyoung yelled as Jiho’s hold of his face tightened. It was hopeless as Jinyoung tried to struggle once more from the hold. He was starting to get scared, but he thought as long as Jiho was distracted from going after Youngjae it was fine. He will stall as long as possible.

“So what now?” Jiho’s eyes flashed with anger. He wrapped his hand onto Jinyoung’s neck as Jiho and his friends laughed at him.

Jinyoung bit his lip hoping that someone would at least get out of the house and maybe help him in this situation. He hated when the thought of Mark flashed again in his mind as he saw passed Jiho the wall where he and Mark made the promise that they will be best friends forever and it struck Jinyoung how this place reminded him so much of the thing that ended a long time ago. Then again, the thought of Mark being with someone else tonight hurt him once more, because it reminded him that he cannot stay with Jinyoung anymore. Not anymore. But still, however long since Jinyoung tried to accept that fact, why is it that the only one person he hoped and wished that would come for him right now was Mark?

“Would you like to play with me, Jinyoungie?” Jinyoung watches as Jiho’s cut up lip formed a smirk. He also watched in surprise as somebody grabbed Jiho from behind and landed a punch on his face.

Everybody, even Jiho’s friends, gasped in surprise as they watched Mark landed on top of Jiho and gave him punch after punch. Jinyoung watched in horror as Jiho crumpled into the floor as his friends tried to restrain Mark this time. But it proved to be useless as Mark continued what he was doing and nobody dared to touch him.

Oh my God. He’s gonna kill him. Jinyoung realizes as he saw the cuts on both Mark’s fists and Jiho’s face. He’s gonna kill him!

“S-stop!” Jinyoung managed to say as he tried to reach for Mark and hold his arms.

“It’s no use kid.” One of Jiho’s friends tried to pull him back, but no, Jinyoung has to stop Mark. He had never seen Mark this angry before and Jinyoung was afraid Mark will do something he’s gonna regret later.

“Please stop!” Jinyoung did not know what he was doing anymore as he wrapped his arms around Mark to pull him back. All he cared about was stopping him. “Please, Mark, please.”

That seems to bring Mark back to his senses as his punches ceased and he let himself be pulled back by Jinyoung. Seeing the damage that was done on Jiho’s face, he had to look away as Jiho’s friends tried to tend on his injuries. On the other hand, Jinyoung kept his hold on Mark, grasping him as tight as he could and making sure that he will not come after Jiho.

It took them a few minutes of silence until Mark got out of Jinyoung’s grasp to turn around and face him. “What do you think you’re doing, Park Jinyoung?! How could you let him touch you like that?!”

Jinyoung stared at him in surprise, trying to find a logical explanation on what happened because Mark still had an angry expression on his face. Although, Jinyoung noticed that it was different this time. It was not that look that scared Jinyoung earlier. This time around, it was an expression which was pretty close to concern and for some reason Jinyoung felt the need to pacify that worry.

“I… I was just…” Jinyoung stuttered. “H-he was about to do something to Young…” That reminds him. “Oh my God! Youngjae! I need to find him!” He was about to leave when Mark pulled him back. “What?”

“Don’t worry. Jackson’s got him.” Mark said quietly. “He’s actually been looking for Youngjae since we saw him with Jiho earlier. Don’t worry. Jackson’s not gonna hurt him.” Mark added perhaps still seeing the worry on Jinyoung’s face.

“I know that.” Jinyoung replied and he meant it. He does trust Jackson and he finally calmed down for real. Youngjae’s alright and that was all that matters. However, all Jinyoung was worried about now was Mark’s hand still holding his wrist.

Perhaps noticing the sudden awkward atmosphere, Mark cleared his throat and pulled Jinyoung with him. “Let’s go.”

 

And that’s where Jinyoung found himself buckled up on the passenger seat inside Mark’s car. It was definitely awkward as they stayed as silent as Jinyoung tried to remember in his head how they ended up sitting inside a closed vehicle without killing each other. Jinyoung kept his arms on his sides not trusting them at this very moment.

“You stay there and try to sober up.” Mark said as his hands gripped the steering wheel. “I’m not gonna bring you home and have to explain to Auntie and Uncle why you look like that.”

“I’m not drunk!” Jinyoung protested on his seat. Finding it difficult to move since Mark felt the need to put the seat belt on him as if Jinyoung would be running around and punch people on the face once more. “I’ve sobered up earlier!”

“When?” Mark challenged him. “If you’re not drunk then why is your face red? Looks like a drunk person to me!”

Jinyoung instinctively touched his cheeks and gulped when he indeed felt them warm. But that would prove Mark right. “I told you I’m fine! I’ve already slept it off in Jaebum’s room.”

Mark turned to him sharply. “What are you doing in Jaebum’s bedroom?”

“I was tipsy. My head was hurting. Youngjae was with Jiho and Jaebum was passed out by the pool!” Jinyoung snapped back. “So yeah, I want some peace and quiet. Sue me! Besides, aren’t you the one who’s been drinking all night? I saw you with one of the sunbaes earlier.”

“What? I wasn’t…!” Mark protested. “That’s not the point! Why are you even changing the subject anyway?”

For some reason Mark’s response annoyed Jinyoung more as he removed the seat belt and reached for the car door. “Whatever. I told you. I’m okay. I’m leaving.”

“Don’t you dare leave.” Mark reached over quickly at Jinyoung’s hand on the door handle to stop him.

“What the hell?” Jinyoung gasped as he realized how close Mark’s face to his and he froze. Seeing Mark this close brought back once more a certain particular memory that he had tried to avoid for a long time. He cannot help but whisper a gasp when he felt Mark’s hand reaching for his face and Jinyoung realized that there was a certain warmth on his cheeks that he was pretty sure was not alcohol induced. They looked at each other for a few seconds more when Jinyoung felt Mark’s light touch on his skin as he removed the nonprescription glasses he had been wearing all night.

Jinyoung watched with bated breath as Mark sat back on his seat examining the spectacles on his hand with curiosity. “Why are you wearing this anyway? You have perfect vision.”

“Youngjae said they look good.” Jinyoung answered quietly as he felt betrayed by his cheeks flaring up. What’s happening to me?  “So people will look me in the eyes more.”

“Normally, I would trust Youngjae’s judgement but,” Mark opened the car window and tossed the glasses outside. “Youngjae’s wrong. If anything it covers up your eyes more.”

“You’ll have to pay for that.” Jinyoung pouted. “It’s Youngjae’s.”

Mark shrugged. “Eh, it’s better out of his life anyway. If anything, I’m doing him a favor.”

Silence returned in the vehicle once more as Jinyoung found himself keeping his arms to his sides and Mark was back to gripping the steering when once again. In the middle of this, there was an internal battle in Jinyoung’s head as he kept thinking how close their faces were earlier. He kept remembering how their eyes met and how much of an effect it made on Jinyoung’s well being. Was this the effect of how many years they have kept away from each other? So then why was the memory of the kiss kept popping up in Jinyoung’s head? Would it be okay if he asked Mark what happened that night? Will he finally be able to find some peace and quiet if he finally finds out that the kiss happened or not?

Of course you can’t ask him that, Park Jinyoung. Keep your head straight.

He stole a glance at Mark and his thoughts were suddenly interrupted when he caught sight of Mark’s fingers were bleeding most probably from the fight earlier. Before Jinyoung realizes what’s happening, he found himself reaching for Mark’s hands covering it with his. He felt Mark stiffened when he began examining the scratches. The blood has dried out and there seemed to be no deep cuts, but Jinyoung’s heart clenched when he saw a trail of red on the same pinky finger that made him the promise of forever years ago.

Jinyoung bit his lip as he tried to stop himself from crying. He hated this. He knew it was right to move on, but he hated the fact that it was all a façade he was trying to wear every single day. All along deep inside him, that same kid who made the same promise still exists. Just waiting and waiting. And maybe this grown up version of himself was waiting along with him.

“I’m okay. I…” Mark stopped when Jinyoung gripped his hands tighter. Tears fell down on their hands as Jinyoung shook his head furiously. As if asking for Mark’s permission to let his tears erase the traces of red on his hands.

“Just please. Just for tonight, let me.” Jinyoung let the words hang up in the air. Just for tonight let me hold you once more. He sniffed as he clenched Mark’s hands close to him. “I’m sorry. I know you said we’re not friends anymore, but why do I keep searching for you every single time? Why do I keep waiting for you? Why do I keep missing you every single day?”

Mark did not say anything and just allowed Jinyoung to hold him. For that he was thankful for Mark. He had been keeping all this hurt for so many years and just for tonight; maybe letting it all out would make him feel better. Maybe.

And maybe someday he would be able to move on.

For real this time.

 

 

It was way past four in the morning and almost everyone has gone home already, but Mark could not find himself to fall asleep. He had just finished reading back several messages from Jackson mainly telling him that he had found Youngjae and was already sleeping soundly upstairs. There were also some series of texts (perhaps typed in panic) from Jackson asking Mark what he should do when Youngjae wakes up. Mark snorted as he puts back his phone in his pocket. He was unaware of the small smile on his face as looked at the person sleeping in the passenger seat. Mark watches as Jinyoung’s face crumpled into a frown then suddenly smiling a few moments later looking at peace.

Mark sighed as he slumped back on his seat remembering Jackson’s text.

“How was I supposed to know what to do when I’m confused myself?” Mark sighed dejectedly when he turned to the sleeping boy once again.

 

“I miss you too. So much. You have no idea, Jinyoungie.”

 


 

End of Chapter Two!

a/n: Hi again!

So sorry for not updating sooner, but here it is!

Totally unbeta'd again, but I'll take care of it once I get some sleep. It's almost 4am here!

See you in the morning, loves. :)