Chapter 6

Timeless

tumblr_ny3mszatH01uyzyggo1_1280.jpg

Seokmin felt like a dozen small hammers were pounding away at his head. He groaned, keeping his eyes shut to block out the sunlight. He felt something warm shift against him, and his eyes flew open. He stifled a gasp as the events of the night before came rushing back while he stared at the peaceful sleeping face of his student.

Soonyoung’s chubby cheek was squished against his arm and one of his hands was holding tightly onto Seokmin’s shirt, keeping him close. Mesmerized, Seokmin reached to touch the younger’s cheek, letting the tips of his fingers brush against the warm skin. Soonyoung’s eyes fluttered open, and he peered at Seokmin between his eyelashes. The corners of his lips turned upwards, his cheeks flushed slightly, and the sight flustered the older.

Seokmin panicked. He sat up so quickly he felt dizzy, his head swimming, startling Soonyoung in the process.

“Oh my god. What have I done.” He asked himself in a raspy voice, holding his head in his hands, eyes wide. The realization of confessing to a student hit him hard. And having that student confess back...The implications flew through Seokmin’s mind. He stood up suddenly, hand covering his mouth in shock.

“What do you mean? Seokmin...don’t tell me you didn’t mean it. Please don’t tell me you were too drunk to realize what you were doing!” Soonyoung’s voice rose as he panicked, eyes flicking back and forth trying to figure out the emotions playing on Seokmin’s face.

Seeing the fear in the younger’s eyes made Seokmin snap out if his daze. He rushed to Soonyoung, embracing him.

“No, no, of course not. I meant it, as much as I hate to admit.” He muttered soothingly, Soonyoung’s hair as the younger slumped in relief against his chest. He raised his head to look at Seokmin.

“So, what now?” Soonyoung asked. “This isn’t allowed, is it?”

“No.” Seokmin admitted, “no student – professor relationship is allowed, soulmates or not.” Soonyoung’s eyebrows furrowed.

“This will put your job in a lot of danger, won’t it?”

“Yes.”

“So I should probably just leave. And we should ignore what happened.”

“Yes.” Soonyoung’s face fell. “Except...I don’t want you to.”

“What does this mean for us then?” Soonyoung stared down at his hands. Seokmin sighed.

“I guess we’ll just figure it out along the way, but I’m hoping it implies more kissing.” Seokmin wiggled his eyebrows suggestively, grinning and felt the younger slap his arm, laughing.

“Just don’t forget, nobody can know about this, Soonyoung.”

“I know...I would never tell.”

Seokmin brushed hair out of Soonyoung’s face and grinned brightly.

“How does breakfast sound? Pancakes?” Soonyoung nodded enthusiastically. Seokmin stopped in his tracks on the way to the kitchen.

“Wait. You’re legal, right?”

Soonyoung laughed. “Yeah, I’m turning 19 in a few months.” Seokmin let out a sigh of relief and resumed his task of making pancakes.

Soonyoung sat down at the table, smiling while watching the older make the batter. At first, Seokmin could feel the stares burn into him, but he quickly got used to it, humming and singing as he poured batter into the pan.

“I didn’t know you could sing!” Seokmin turned to see a look of amazement on Soonyoung’s face.

“Yeah I’ve always loved to sing. I was in the choir in high school.”

“You’re good! Like really, really good!!”

“Thank you.” Seokmin smiled, bowing.

“You need to tell me more about you.”

“Well, that means we have to spend more time together, doesn’t it?” Seokmin grinned.

“Does that mean I should come over every weekend so you can...explain the lecture to me?” it was Soonyoung’s turn to wiggle his eyebrows suggestively.

“Yes. Definitely.” Seokmin chuckled as he placed the plates full of pancakes on the table.

They ate silently, sneaking glances and smiling at one another. Seokmin got up to put the dishes in the sink, and took Soonyoung by the hand, leading him back to the couch.

 He sat down and the TV, motioning for the other to join him, and Soonyoung curled up next to him, laying his head on Seokmin’s chest and sighing. The TV was running, but thruthfully neither were paying much attention, they were enjoying the feeling coursing through their bodies: like eveything fell into place, like they were finally at home in each other’s arms. It didn’t matter where they were, the couch, college, anywhere in the world, this was what it meant to feel at home.

Soonyoung suddenly craned his head upwards to look at Seokmin, eyes falling to the older’s plush lips, breath hitching.

“What is it, Soonyoung?” Seokmin asked lowly, sensing what the other wanted. Soonyoung’s cheeks flushed as he inched upwards involuntarily, his body moving on its own and his mouth making contact with Seokmin’s.

There it was again, that electric feeling, a fiery pleasure that molded their mouths together and filled their veins.

Their lips moved tentatively, slowly. The TV’s sounds were hazy in the background as they explored the feeling, tasting each other’s lips. Mouths slightly parted, traces of pancake lingered between them. Seokmin’s tongue peeked out, tracing Soonyoung’s lower lip, and something snapped inside the younger.

Soonyoung pressed his lips harshly against Seokmin’s, opening his mouth wider and meeting Seokmin’s tongue with his own. He pushed his whole body closer to Seokmin’s, pressed their chests together, rushing heartbeats synchronized, and with one hand grabbed the back of Seokmin’s neck, tugging at the fine hairs. Seokmin’s hands grabbed Soonyoung’s waist, gripping it and squeezing slightly everytime Soonyoung pulled particularly hard at his hair.

Parting to catch their breath, panting, the sight of each other’s faces with flushed cheeks and lidded eyes caused them to quickly make contact again.

A ringing sound interrupted them. Dazed, Soonyoung realized it was his phone and tripped twice trying to rush over to the kitchen table where he had left it, answering.

“Hello?” he panted. He paused.

“I was out running, Mom.” He lied smoothly, shaking his head when Seokmin gave him a questioning look. The older tried to stifle his laugh when he realized his mother must have asked him why he was out of breath.

“Yeah, I’m fine. School’s fine.” Another pause. “Yes, I’m eating well.” A longer pause, and Soonyoung’s face drained.

“Uhm...yes, I did meet my soulmate. He’s nice.” He swallowed hard, throat dry. “Yeah, we’re going to hang out soon....okay, talk to you later. Love you too. Bye.” He sighed deeply, walking back to Seokmin and throwing himself on the couch.

“I thought you said your soulmate was a girl.”

“Yeah.”

“So why’d you mention a male?”

“I don’t know. I panicked.” Soonyoung confessed sadly. Silence.

“I swear, I don’t understand.”

“Understand what?” Seokmin quirked an eyebrow.

“I don’t understand what’s happening. I refuse to believe that girl is my soulmate. I don’t...” he swallowed. “Isn’t meeting your soulmate supposed to feel like everything falls into place? She doesn’t make me feel...anything. At all. Not...” he paused. “Not like you.”

“Soonyoung, how did you feel when you entered the classroom?”

“I don’t know, I was already out of breath from dance practice so I can’t tell if my heartbeat sped up or something happened.”

Seokmin closed his eyes, trying to remember the moment, backtracking his reactions and gestures.

His hands. They were trembling.

He had trouble swallowing.

But it was because his soulmate had just died, right? That must make you feel something, it must be painful, even if you don’t know what’s happening. Except, he hadn’t felt any pain.

Seokmin’s eyes furrowed, and he pulled the sleeve of his shirt up, revealing his soulmate watch. Soonyoung glanced at it and yelped, his hand flew to cover his mouth, eyes wide.

“What?” Seokmin asked, panicked.

“10:10. I didn’t read it right the first time you showed me. Seokmin, my nickname when I was younger was 10:10! Seokmin, I’M 10:10!!” Soonyoung was shaking slightly, unable to control his voice from almost yelling.

“WHAT? WHY?” Seokmin’s own voice rose as well and he stood up in shock, staring at the younger.

Timeless. The world felt timeless once more the moment Soonyoung smiled the happiest, brightest grin he could muster, making his eyes fall into small crescent moons. He brought his index fingers up next to his eyes, demonstrating how the moment he smiled, his eyes looked like the hands of a clock that were placed in the position of 10:10.

Seokmin stood speechless, in shock. Was this really it? Was this boy his soulmate?

It took him exactly 10 heartbeats to snap out of his daze. He let his eyes fall close, as if trying to keep his tears from spilling, but it was useless. They still fell hot against his cheeks as the moments spent with Soonyoung flashed behind his eyelids, and his heart knew. This was it.

He didn’t flinch when he felt something slam into him, he just let his arms embrace the boy that was pressed to his chest, squeezing him tightly.

“It’s...you.” Seokmin gasped between tears. His shaking legs gave way as he fell to his knees, Soonyoung along with him. They lay there a while on the floor, breathless with the realization. The ticking of a clock resonated in the silence.

"Soonyoung."

"Hm?"

"It's getting late. Don't you have any studying to do for tomorrow or this week?"

"Well, yeah, but..." Soonyoung's lower lip stuck out as he pouted cutely, rubbing his cheek against the older's shoulder. Seokmin chuckled, petting his messy hair.

"We literally just found out we're soulmates and you're already kicking me out. Amajing."

"My little hamster," he pinched the younger's cheeks and kissed the tip of his nose, "you really should go. What teacher would I be if I kept you away from your education?" he joked, getting up. "Don't worry, I'll see you tomorrow."

A few minutes (and kisses) later, Soonyoung was leaving, waving enthusiastically until out of sight, and Seokmin could not wait until tomorrow.

 

A/N: although this may seem like an ending, it's not!! i still have more in store for the lovebirds. hope you guys enjoy this fluffy chapter <3