Chapter 5

Timeless

tumblr_ny3mszatH01uyzyggo1_1280.jpg

Seokmin woke up the next morning – well, he hadn’t actually slept – feeling horrible. He harshly rubbed his eyes, questioning his own sanity.

‘ What is wrong with me? Why am I thinking of a student? Is this me just being desperate and lonely? I need to get out more. ‘ Seokmin came to this conclusion as he spilt hot water all over his shirt in the kitchen.

Except Soonyoung was waiting for him Monday morning with a coffee again, sleepy lidded eyes forming crescent moons at the sight of his professor. Seokmin’s heart trembled. He silently prayed that their fingers wouldn’t touch this time, he wasn’t prepared to go through that feeling again, but it seemed Soonyoung had the opposite idea.

He handed Seokmin the cup in a way that made sure as much of their skin was touching as possible. The younger had on a concentrated expression, but Seokmin wouldn’t know that since he was too busy letting the warmth of the touch fill his whole body, guiltily enjoying the feeling of electricity. He cursed himself for being weak, and thanked his student warmly for the coffee.

“Coffee again? Is this going to be a daily thing?” Mingyu inquired, eyeing the cup in Seokmin’s hand.

“Maybe.” Seokmin sighed, taking a sip and letting the bitterness hit his tastebuds. It wasn’t as good as Mingyu’s, it really wasn’t. But every little part of him wanted to drink it so badly, just because Soonyoung gave it to him. He just didn’t want to openly admit to himself what was happening, even though he knew, deep down.

“Hey guys, how about we go out Saturday? We haven’t done anything in a while together.” Seokmin asked Mingyu, Jihoon, Jeonghan, and a few other colleagues. They nodded in agreement, and Seokmin was looking foward to it, thinking he’d be able to get his mind off things.

The week passed dully, except for two daily moments he secretly looked foward to: Soonyoung bringing him coffee and Soonyoung staring at him during his lecture.

Every morning when he entered the Teachers’ Room with a new cup of coffee, Jihoon would stare at him more and more questioningly, as if he thought something suspicious was happening. Seokmin ignored his insistent glares, brushing off questions.

Seokmin’s days felt like they were marked by the number of times Soonyoung smiled at him.


Saturday rolled by with a thunderstorm, and Soonyoung showed up at his doorstep, handing Seokmin his umbrella to lay to dry in the bathroom and smiling widely at him. Seokmin smiled back tentatively.

“You look a bit down. Are you okay?” Soonyoung asked, eyebrows furrowed.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just stressed I guess. ”

“Oh. I’m sorry. Should I come back another time then?” Soonyoung looked concerned.

“NO!” Seokmin cleared his throat from his sudden outburst, embarrased. “I mean, no, it’s fine.”

Soonyoung nodded, sitting down on the couch, slightly taken aback. Seokmin ran to get a soda from the fridge and made a note of setting it down on the table instead of handing it to Soonyoung.

About half an hour later, Seokmin glanced at Soonyoung’s arm and flinched at the sight of the watch, even though he’d seen it before.

“Any luck?”

“What?”

“Any luck in finding your soulmate?”

“Oh. Yeah, actually,” Soonyoung confessed, “I found someone else whose watch ended at that time that I’d sat down next to. She seems pretty nice.” Hearing these words, Seokmin felt a stab through his side. Of course he found his soulmate, what did you think would happen? he asked himself bitterly.

Now, a normal person, upon finding their soulmate, would be estatic. Soonyoung had said all this quietly, while staring down at his hands, fidgeting. He squeezed his eyes shut at the sound of Seokmin’s sigh, digging his nails into his palm.

They continued with the lecture content uneventfully, almost painfully so. The rain ceased and it wasn’t long before Soonyoung got up to leave.

“So, that’s it I guess, it seems you’re all caught up on the course...”

“Yeah...thank you for everything.” Soonyoung avoided eye contact.

“My pleasure.”

Soonyoung opened his mouth and closed it. “Bye, see you on Monday.”

“Bye! Be careful on your way home.”

Seokmin watched the small figure dissapear into the fog, and closed the door.

He walked into the bathroom and splashed cold water on his face, dejected, before getting dressed to go out.


The noise inside the pub was almost painful, but it had its advantages: not a lot of talking went on because they couldn’t really hear each other, which meant no one asked him what had happened, they just watched as Seokmin downed beer after beer, throwing in the occasional shot or two. Seokmin could feel their stares, especially Jihoon’s burning into his face. It didn’t take long until the heat of their stares was replaced by the heat from the copious amounts of alcohol.

Jihoon finally leaned into his ear.

“Seokmin, what’s wrong, tell me. You barely ever drink, and you look like someone just died.” His tone was firm.

Seokmin tried to concentrate on Jihoon’s eyes, but his gaze wavered.

“I’m f-fine. I’m happy, really!” Seokmin started laughing loudly, throwing his head back, while the others just glanced at each other.

“Hey man, it’ll be alright. It’s just a hard time, and if it’s your soulmate you’re worried about, I’m sure you’ll find someone soon. You’re an amazing guy.” Mingyu said, placing a hand on Seokmin’s shoulder. Seokmin nodded the best he could in his drunk state.

The others started making jokes and laughing, and Seokmin just stared bitterly at them. They soon disbanded, and Mingyu offered to take a taxi with Seokmin to make sure he got home safely. It wasn’t until Seokmin stood up that the others noticed how drunk he was, and Mingyu rushed to grab him before he tipped over, slinging Seokmin’s arm around his neck and supporting him to the cab.

The drive was silent, with Mingyu throwing the occasional concerned look Seokmin’s way. At Seokmin’s driveway, Mingyu offered to help him inside, but Seokmin blatantly refused, and the taller told him to be careful before the driver drove off.

Stumbling to his front door, Seokmin’s eyes noticed something moving, and he gasped, taking a few shaky steps back.

It was Soonyoung, sitting down on his front step, arms around his legs that were pulled up to his chest.

“S-soonyoung...w-what are you –“ Seokmin hiccuped, unable to finish his sentence. Soonyoung scrambled to stand up.

“I forgot my umbrella. And the weather forecast said it’s raining tomorrow and-“ Soonyoung’s mouth fell open at the realization that Seokmin was drunk, noticing the unfocused look in his eyes and his sway as he tried to stay upright.

“Oh my god. You know what, I’ll just come back tomorrow, it was dumb coming back so late, what was I even thinking??” Seokmin watched as the younger panicked slightly, turning to leave.

“Is okay” Seokmin slurred, “I’ll give you the umbrella.” He fumbled while opening the door, and Soonyoung stood behind him, fidgeting nervously.

The door swung open and Seokmin lost his balance. He closed his eyes, preparing for the fall to his knees, when a small hand s around his wrist and caught him.

“Be...careful” Soonyoung muttered, helping Seokmin steady himself, not moving his arm from his waist. He glanced up at the older, and his breath caught in his throat at the sight of Seokmin’s soft gaze, so close. His chocolate eyes, staring at him, made his cheeks heat up. He quickly removed his arm, but Seokmin grabbed it, his touch searing, and Soonyoung gasped as he was pulled to Seokmin’s chest. The warmth of their bodies touching was intoxicating.

“Soonyoung, p-please don’t.” Seokmin whispered, looking down into Soonyoung’s eyes. Soonyoung’s lower lip trembled, his arms fell to his sides, but his gaze locked to Seokmin’s.

“Don’t what?” Soonyoung asked, breathless.

“Please don’t leave.” Soonyoung watched as Seokmin’s eyes started watering in the darkness.

“Why?” Soonyoung’s whisper was barely audible.

“I’m i-in love with you.”Seokmin choked.

 The words hit Soonyoung hard, he gasped for air, breathing harshly. He flinched when Seokmin’s hand reached up to cheek, gently it. He closed his eyes and shuddered, leaning into the touch.

Seokmin’s heart burst seeing this, his knees almost collapsed when he felt small hands grab onto the front of his shirt, bunching up the material in small fists, holding on tightly. He swallowed hard, and leaned in.

The moment their lips touched, Seokmin groaned, and Soonyoung’s arms flew up to Seokmin’s neck, pulling him closer. Their mouths moved slow and hard, desperately, Seokmin felt the younger tremble in his arms when his tongue brushed past the other’s lower lip. Soonyoung moved his head to side, allowing the kiss to deepen, gripping Seokmin tightly and whimpering into Seokmin’s mouth when their tongues made contact.

The moment felt timeless as they poured their unspoken feelings into the kiss, finally not holding back.

Soonyoung suddenly parted from Seokmin.

“What’s wrong?” Seokmin breathed, watching the younger carefully.

“I need to breathe.” Soonyoung panted, his grip on Seokmin unwavered. Seokmin chuckled and let go of Soonyoung, walking over to the couch and sitting down, patting his lap. Soonyoung flushed a deep red, walking over and placing himself on Seokmin’s lap.

Seokmin smiled warmly, eyes lidded. He brushed hair out of the younger’s eyes. Soonyoung squirmed closer, leaning on Seokmin’s chest and burrowing his head in the crook of Seokmin’s neck. Seokmin shuddered at the feeling of Soonyoung’s hot breath tickling his neck, cradling his head with one of his hands.

“I’m in love with you too.” Soonyoung whispered in his ear, and Seokmin let his eyes fall closed, breath hitching. He motioned for Soonyoung to get off his lap for a moment, and layed down on the couch. Soonyoung quickly crawled next to him, resuming his place in the crook of Seokmin’s neck, cuddling into the older, and Seokmin watched Soonyoung’s breathing get deeper as he fell asleep, smiling down at the boy in his arms. Seokmin finally slept happily for the first time in 25 years.

 

A/N:Hey everyone, thank you for the nice comments! <3

man, writing the last scenes were so intense for me, so I hope you all enjoy it <3